IGNORED

Awful For Conditions For Keepers But?

Red Army 79

You expect a professional keeper to be able to kick a ball. What does he do in training? If it was Weale would already be on page 2 by now.as his misjudgement against Wolves showed. As its Basso making the mistakes better keep it quiet. Hennesey every kick got to the half way line. Basso only had to deal with one high ball flapped like a clown as pure usual.

I don't know if you noticed but the wind increased three fold in the second half, it also started to pour down.

I have played in conditions like that and it aint easy.

Carey offered him the short option on several occassions from goal-kicks, or he could have tried to kick flatter.

Have you ever played in conditions like that ???

Yes louis did, but he had a Wolves player up his arse every time.

Kick flatter don't make me laugh....

Keepers get a rough deal as its all too easy to point out the mistakes that cost us goals. If someone misses a glorious chance at the other end, that would effectively cost us a goal, but i bet there wouldn't be anywhere near the level of criticism as for a keepers errors!

no your not, given a good run in the team weale would show he's class. he will be number one soon.

Think you're far from right there. Basso's a better keeper and IMO Weale seems to have a fitness issue, i.e. when he was at Hereford on loan he picked up an injury and little things like that seem to have happened before, which will prevent him having a run in the team.

Yes, fair enough, but that was propoer flat. He also had an easy short option in Orr, which would have been more sensible. McAllister, for example, wasn't having any probs pinging the ball forwrad semi-flat, so to speak. My frustration was his kicking from goal kicks when we were chasing the game, and the ball would balloon up and evade everyone on the way back down.

That's true, Orr was positively screaming for it and was wide open. As soon as he fluffed the kick and the Wolves player collected it I knew it was going to be a goal (and what a well taken goal too).

I'm not sure if it was a bench decision when we were chasing the game but Basso was constantly imploring the team to get narrower for kicks before trying to launch it high and long - even if Orr was in acres of room Basso was gesturing for him to move away from the touchline. Not sure if he/GJ were trying to make the most of the unpredictable conditions - it was frustrating at the time but in hindsight Wolves were clearly uncomfortable with the unpredictable balls.

Not one but two HOWLERS. He didnt have the best game despite the fact he did pull off some good saves. Every player in our team has had a bad game from time to time, and Basso had his yesterday. And now all of a sudden we have heard a few threads about Weale being better. Firstly Basso was awesome last season not to mention deserved player of the year. We have this guy to thank for our success last year (not on his own before the comments start flying in but he certainly provided more than his fair share). Weale had a howler earlier on in the season, cant remember who against. I would give the guy a break he deserves it. We have two very good keepers (both better than we have had in a long time)

Ok conditions were awful for Keepers but surely we should expect better from Basso. First Goal total misjudgement second terrible kick. Wolves Keeper didnt seem to have these problems. Thank god for the excellent team performance getting Basso off the hook after gifting top of the table a 2-0 lead.

I know let's get Flapper back. :doh:

Give Basso a break. He has been excellent for us ever since he joined and to start doubting his ability or position after conceding two goals in absolutely shocking conditions is no short of ridiculous. He has made save after amazing save for us this campaign and last seaon's (and the season before that) and for some of you to start stating that Weale would be better after a run in the team is nonsense and does nothing but begin to undermine our current number one.

Two howlers for Basso gave the opposition their goals yesterday (though he wasn't the only one to contribute to the second) and we should expect better. However one bad game is all it is, we know he's a quality keeper that's played exceptionally well on lots of occasions.

Some things about Basso really annoy me. He is quite clearly a world class shot-stopper.

But when I have seen the team train, that is all he does.

He misjudges crosses, he can't kick properly.

He is a prima donna, he won't wear the goalkeeper kit, he buys his own and applies the sponser and puma badge himself.

He needs to realise what he is: an AVERAGE championship goalkeeper, because great saves are all well and good...

But if you cant deal with long balls and crosses or even kick! You cant be a good keeper.

Some things about Basso really annoy me. He is quite clearly a world class shot-stopper.

He is a prima donna, he won't wear the goalkeeper kit, he buys his own and applies the sponser and puma badge himself.

He needs to realise what he is: an AVERAGE championship goalkeeper, because great saves are all well and good...

But if you cant deal with long balls and crosses or even kick! You cant be a good keeper.

:D:laugh::D Does this REALLY bother you, seriously?

So in your post he goes from being World Class to not even a good keeper. Utter rubbish.

That's your opinion my man, and your entitled to it.

Looks like I'm alone once again... :fear:

you are deffinately not alone, and I would guess it's a lot more near 50/50 than you would imagine.

But isn't is great to have two top keepers at the club.

Basso is an outstanding keeper at this level, but Weale has the prospects of being a Premier League keeper.

I guess it's only a matter of time until Weale will be given a run in the 1st team.... I just don't think that yesterdays howlers by Basso will make any difference in Johnsons mind when and where to give Weale his opportunity.

Guest wheres your caravan??

On several occasions this season Basso's performances have been well below acceptable.

Palace away he was flapping all over the place, they scored twice from corners he came for and didn't get, one goal was disallowed.

Plymouth at home, absolute howler.

Yesterday not one but two howlers.

Swansea at home, flapping at a cross.

How many times this season has he had good games?

Starting to show his age IMO.

Weale should be given a long run in the side.

Weale is not as good shot stopper as Basso, but his kicking, communication and ability to come and collect crosses is far superior to Basso's.

Weale should be number one!

Quite possibly the highest profile position in any side. Might explain why so many good keepers are such nutters in one way or another. Have a blinder and you`re just doing your job, make a couple of howlers and you`re being retired.

In the interest of equality how about we give Maynard a rest for a while seeing as he put that effort over the bar when it was easier to stick it in the net. Alright, he played Dele in for the 1st and looked composed for the equaliser, but thats his job isn`t it.

It`s frightening how quickly people seize on an opportunity when it arises. Makes you wonder if they spend the whole match just hoping for their `target` to c**k it up so they can rush home and post their thread. Be it Basso, LJ or whomever there will always be someone to have a pop at more often than not.

AB is a very good keeper and i`m glad to have him here as No1. He`s not getting any younger, thats for sure, and i`m equally happy to have Weale as back up.

It`s a godforsaken position where you`re more likely to be the center of attention for a c**k up than blinding save. I`m sure if someone could be bothered to trawl through the threads you find that Basso appears when he`s made an error, i certainly can`t recall one that sets out to praise him.

PDG

Good post. Firstly I'm not saying Basso isn't a top keeper - he is and has earned us many points but I want to say that it isnt fair to slag off Weale in the molineux tie when he had made a couple of class saves before the gaff and then let Basso get away with it on the quiet. He did make a good save from Ebanks Blake but both goals were sloppy from his point of view. As you say if it was Weale there would be at least 2 pages but since its Basso no one gives a toss. Secondly Hennesey is a top keeper with a strong kick definitely one of the rising stars (who we had on loan once) that will have a long a prosperous career.

I hope I'm not the only person in Ashton Gate who wants Weale to get a chance but as ever I probably am.

no your not.i prefer weale to basso.basso came back after weale's mistake and made

a mistake within minutes of the plymouth game but nothing was said.

basso is an average keeper,no more no less.i/ve never understood his hero worship.

very dodgy on crosses to say the least!however i get behind him when he plays.

would just prefer weale

Basso is a class keeper, just had an off day in conditions which did not help him .

As for Weale , how can anybody judge how good he is , he goes to the same school of fitness as Steve Brooker and picks up a ridiculous amount of injuries for a keeper, was signed injured and has spent alot of the time with us the same way.

Another wage packet for no return most of the time.

Archived