IGNORED

Nicky Maynard

Dolman_Stand

I thought he would have 10 goals by the New year but we had that poor run of form which didn't help him at all.

It's quite interesting that a few people thought GJ was a bit rough on him after the Sheffield Wedmesday game, apparently blaming his miss for costing us 3 points.

But it seems to me he has taken this to heart and reacted the right way.

Have always thought he would finish chances if they were to fall to him and that is exactly whats happening now.Movement is questionable sometimes(looks for the ball over the top,when it possibly isnt on),but that is improving all the time.Seemed a bit deep on occasions 1st half last night,but I appreciate that was due to his work rate(tracking back etc).Really think he will develop into a goal scoring regular at Championship and above!!! More to come!!!

I've been very impressed with him lately. We have to realise that he is still young and is still learning but he has the potential to be a good prem striker. Hopefully we get a few good years out of him here. 9 league goals so far is impressive in his first season for us, I can see him finishing with around about 15 which would be a very good first full season at championship level.

And would see him match David Nugent's 'amazing' season that saw him picked for England and secure a £6m move to the Premier League.

This thread sums up just how fickle and impatient some fans are. We can all remember threads slagging off Maynard when he was still settling into CCC football and now he's adapted and is finding the net regularly some of those same fans are singing his praises... :disapointed2se:

What a bizarre post.

You either seem to be praising yourself for never doubting his ability, or are suggesting those who doubted him should keep quiet and not bother praising him for recent improvement.

And yes football is a fickle business, well done for realising.

This thread sums up just how fickle and impatient some fans are. We can all remember threads slagging off Maynard when he was still settling into CCC football and now he's adapted and is finding the net regularly some of those same fans are singing his praises... :disapointed2se:

The same thing is happening to Styvar. Some have already written him off.. :noexpression: after just 2.5 games.

Johnson was sure that Maynard would come good and he's just as certain that Styvar will also come good and whilst I don't agree with what Johnson says all the time, when he talks about certain players and their potential then I listen.

Are people who once called Gary Johnson a conference manager now found occasionally singing his praises? Or are they still of the same opinion?

At his best? No... his best is still to come.

I think he'll go on to play in the prem, he's a very talented footballer.

Exactly...The boy is a fantastic player and has the ability to become a top draw finisher...Lets just hope he can see us into the promised land before United or the like come knocking.

Having only seen him a few times, I think he looks a completley different player from when we first signed him. He now seems more capable of creating chances for himself and holding the ball up. I think he was possibly trying too hard at first, though I suppose that's understandable with his price tag. He seems to be more relaxed now, and I expect he'll get even better.

I agree totally, that's the point, more relaxed, enjoying the football and he surely will get better. Fantastic!

Are people who once called Gary Johnson a conference manager now found occasionally singing his praises? Or are they still of the same opinion?

Nice try, but that was a very different time and very different set of circumstances.

Slagging off a players after just a few games at a new club and in a better quality division is ludicrous, or in the case of Styvar, less than 2.5 games.

Nice try, but that was a very different time and very different set of circumstances.

Slagging off a players after just a few games at a new club and in a better quality division is ludicrous, or in the case of Styvar, less than 2.5 games.

No different to a new manager 10 games in at a new club in a better quality division.

You're moaning about Styvar criticism based on what, 2 people in Block H of the Atyeo in MIB's thread?

Very similar actually. You judged GJ after about 12 games?? very short period of time for a manager with proven credentials.

What a bizarre post.

You either seem to be praising yourself for never doubting his ability, or are suggesting those who doubted him should keep quiet and not bother praising him for recent improvement.

And yes football is a fickle business, well done for realising.

I have never slagged off a new player after just a few games. How can anyone make a valid assesment in those circumstances? Then, those posters that did slag off Maynard in the past now reckon he's the muts nuts.....

A bunch of knee-jerk reactionaries if you ask me.

I have never slagged off a new player after just a few games. How can anyone make a valid assesment in those circumstances? Then, those posters that did slag off Maynard in the past now reckon he's the muts nuts.....

A bunch of knee-jerk reactionaries if you ask me.

You made an assumption on Johnson just as early...

Heres a tricky concept for you, Maynard playing poorly, gets slagged off, Maynard plays well, gets praise.

You made an assumption on Johnson just as early...

Heres a tricky concept for you, Maynard playing poorly, gets slagged off, Maynard plays well, gets praise.

Johnson had been in post about 4/5 months and lost 9 on the bounce at one point when I wrote the infamous thread. Hindsight is a wonderfull thing of course and I'm certain that posters with the quality of yourself and of course the self-righteous Edson with his incomprable abililty to recall the slightest questionable thread thats ever been written.

Johnson had been in post about 4/5 months and lost 9 on the bounce at one point when I wrote the infamous thread. Hindsight is a wonderfull thing of course and I'm certain that posters with the quality of yourself and of course the self-righteous Edson with his incomprable abililty to recall the slightest questionable thread thats ever been written.

I may be wrong, but I thought he won at Brentford on his debut, then we beat Barnsley, then the poor run started?

Either way, Maynard is not yet a success, as can only be judged fully at the end of the season IMO.

Merely replying in kind, my friend. Merely replying in kind.

Not his goal scoring then?

To be honest, no.

From his very first game (Antwerp hat trick) you could see he had goals in him, and I had faith that, eventually, he would come good on that front, but its his clever runs that create space for others, and the range and vision of his passes that have impressed me most.

I was expecting a Defoe sort of player, but he seems to have more than that in his locker, which I'm more than happy with.

Archived