IGNORED

Robins Pub

redsrus

My favourite beer of all time has to be St Peter's Brewery's Lemon and Ginger. Apart from the Beer Festival only time I've ever come across it was when Wetherspoons had it as guest ale

Not only have I tasted all of the offerings from St Peters Brewery, I've been there, at St Peter South Elmham in Suffolk. Its an old 13th century monastery (I think, or something like that) miles from anywhere, if you get the chance go there, you couldnt find a nicer setting.

I've been to their pub too, the Jerusalem Tavern in Clerkenwell, one of the best known pubs in London, which dates back to the 12th century. It's quirky and one of the best pubs I've been to, well worth a visit.

Places like these need to be preserved, why anyone would want to drink tasteless Fosters for example I cannot even begin to imagine.

I've been into pubs that didnt have a single real ale, not even a naff one, and promptly walked back out again. For any landlord brave enough to build a reputation for proper beer, there would be a market for a pub which banned sales of any product of Denmark or Australia.

So to bring this back to topic - real ale and scrumpy only at the Robins please.

It's nearly always available at the Cross Hands at the top end of Fishponds. With 8 proper beers/ciders, it's got to be one of the best real ale pubs in Bristol and well worth going out of your way to visit.

One thats not out the way for match days is The Bagg of Nails in Hotwells, by far and away my favourite pub in Bristol, weekly guest ales (4 or 5) served in what I can best describe as a 1950's living room.

Its a short walk to the Grain Boat from there for a couple of pints of Sunrise, now that s a beer I would like to see in The Robins.

One of my best mates mums owns bs3, and its true. They bought the robins.

long term it makes sense, as it will be closer to the new ground

if they do the same as they did with the rising sun, I've found my new post match local, much as I like BS3, it's too busy in the winter and takes an age to get a beer

OK, new Robins owner, any chance of a few decent English real ales.

Not Courage, not Butcombe, not John Smiths gas which most bar staff don't seem to understand isnt a real ale anyway.

Bombadier, Bass, Hobgoblin, Fullers ESB, etc or any of the microbrewery beers.

Butcombe not a real ale??????????

OK, new Robins owner, any chance of a few decent English real ales.

Not Courage, not Butcombe, not John Smiths gas which most bar staff don't seem to understand isnt a real ale anyway.

Bombadier, Bass, Hobgoblin, Fullers ESB, etc or any of the microbrewery beers.

Its not only sandal wearing hippie freaks that like a drink that actually tastes of something, bring our English heritage back and get rid Fosters Kronenburg and all that other Danish and Australian gassy fizz.

Alongside traditional West Country Natch of course.

Courage is also a real ale made wells and young the same company that makes Bombadier.

BS3 - yes, Courage is a real ale, but ask most discerning real ale drinkers what they think of it. Butcombe - and this is more my opinion than that of Courage - is of the same mould. No taste, a week taste, or a crap taste, depending on your point of view.

You usually find Courage - or Butcombe for that matter - where they are the token real ale in an otherwise lager pub. Go to a real ale dominated pub, they wouldnt dream of serving those beers, there are too many other decent, superior, real ales to offer.

With freehouses and independents, it can be a vicious and downward spiral. If the landlord drinks and/or understands real ale, fine. If the landlord is a lager drinker, the temptation is to put in well known brands such as Courage, or Butcombe simply because its local and they've perfected the art of marketing to pubs. Or Speckled Hen "Smooth". What a waste of an otherwise fine real ale! Consequently real ale drinkers stop going to those places. Any of those brands that does get sold is to people that cant be bothered to vote with their feet.

Real ale sales stagnate, the landlord is fooled into thinking there is insufficient market for real ales, and hence justify in their own minds the decision to stock only something like Courage because it is well known and doesnt have the limited life of 2/3 days and care required like for example Bass does. The reality is the real ale drinkers have gone elsewhere, the pub meanwhile has inadvertently cut its potential market by half.

Result, the really naff pubs, as we have seen, including sadly some of those around Ashton Gate, close down. Of course, dictatorship *unacceptable word*-esque government legislation such as a total blanket ban on smoking in pubs, or penal beer taxes, or greedy pub freehold owners squeezing higher and higher rents from those pubs that do show signs of becoming profitable, or anti-social drinking from a can because the supermarkets can use their financial dominance to sell alcohol as a loss-leader, or a combination of all four reasons, is partly to blame for pub closures, but I would suggest that any well run pub pub stocking a reasonable selection of real ales is less likely to be a closure than a lager dominated one.

That obviously is just my opinion, but its based on my observations and an admitedly relatively small random sample of fellow real ale drinkers.

Taking this evening as an example, Ive been to the Raven in Bath. Heaven - 5 real ales, all with a strong distinctive taste, the lager choices were proper beers from Czech, and a proper cider. None of that pop from Taunton, Denmark and Australia - Blackthorn, Fosters, Heineken, Carling, etc - in sight. And a regular stream of discerning drinkers seeking the pub out simply because it has a reputation for real ale, even at premium prices.

The marketing power of the lager/larger brands have shifted tastes away from tasty real ales. The reason - there is more profit in lager for brewers because it doesnt demand the same brewing techniques - unless you believe what Stella for example tell you, again, clever marketing - and care in keeping demanded by real ales. Luckily, there are a sufficient number of real ale enthusiasts to keep the English tradition alive and well. Well in my view anyway!

Does it really matter what real ale the pubs put on?

AlL you you moody ale drinkers ever do is run your finger down the side of your glass ,hold it up to the light scrunch up your face take a sip then moan to the landlord that you think the barrel needs changing !!

"Get a life !get on the lager!" !! That should be the pubs mantra, then they can carry on serving the rest of the pub instead of having to deal with you moaning minnies!

Remember "GET A LIFE ! GET ON THE LAGER !"

Hi Guys, interesting reading, and some typically suprising, totally false rumours!

Here are the facts.

Yes, myself, Rob, for those who don't know me and Sarah, have signed the lease on the Robins and collected the keys today. Well, yesterday seeing as its now 12.03!

Yes, it will be opening this coming Saturday 31/01/09.

No we haven't only taken it untill the end of the season.

We have lots of plans to improve the place, and will do as much as we can fit in the time before we open, then continue ongoing addittions and improvements.

In time for the opening we will have full Sky & Setanta sports being shown on large screens and Plasma T.V.

We will be running it along the same lines of BS3 as this does seem a formula that helps prevent trouble and ensure an enjoyable atmosphere. It will be strictly HOME FANS ONLY, and tickets or season cards will be required as proof.

We Will have real ales. Yes, Courage and Butcombe ARE both real ales, PROVIDED they are served from Casks not Kegs, as many pubs do try to do nowadays.

Yet to decide on which, but facts are that courage and butcombe are two of the biggest selling ales in the south west, but ales are easily chopped and changed so we may trial and error a few to see what goes best.

Likewise, lager and cider drinkers ( and J.Smiths drinkers, sorry N.J.!!) will be well catered for. just bear with us if our full range isnt quite installed for opening day due to the short timescale we are working on, but we are doing our utmost!

No, it was never at any point going to be flats, a Burger King, MacDonalds, Weatherspoons, A car park, or any of the other wonderfull suggestions that people seem to swear were gospel!!

A new team of staff will be in place, although don't be suprised to see a familiar face or two.

As with any new pub, we will strive to offer what the customer wants and provide a clean, safe and comfortable environment to enjoy your visit. Any comments, suggestions or feedback are welcomed just remember its not possible to please all of the people all of the time, but we will try!!

Anyway, i hope that clears a few things up, and we hope to see you in either the Robins or BS3 on Saturday!!

P.S. Anyone who does live locally may be interested in our opening night party which will also be on the saturday evening from 7.30pm with live music from a Madness and Blues Brothers tribute - "Mad Manners & The Blues" so should be good fun. Over 21's only please in the evening!

Cheers

Rob

BS3 & Robins

If I can make a suggestion being a local and may others as well. We don't like the two bar structure. It would make a better place if you opened the two bars and make it one big bar so more choice of sitting. I love Bar BS3 and it's comfortable and you don't feel like your sat on someones lap.

Also the fact your getting both SKY and Setanta will be a massive benefit. When the last 'owners' got rid of SKY and got in some Asian satelitte system, us locals bolted and went to the Miners, Luckwell or BS3. Then they got SKY back in and we gradually returned.

Also, will you be doing food? There are a lot of families in the Ashton/Ashton Vale area that would eat and stay longer if you did food like you do in the BS3.

DON'T SELL CANS!!!!! Many locals hated this, particularly the older ones. I know natch is in a can, in a can, cider in a can (sorry couldn't resist) but fosters. carling etc sold in a can just isn't a pub thing.

I wish you the best of luck and can't wait to get back in there, specially with summer sort of round the corner.

MM

P.S. Bath Ales would be appreciated, Gem or Barnstormer....lovely!

If I can make a suggestion being a local and may others as well. We don't like the two bar structure. It would make a better place if you opened the two bars and make it one big bar so more choice of sitting. I love Bar BS3 and it's comfortable and you don't feel like your sat on someones lap.

Also the fact your getting both SKY and Setanta will be a massive benefit. When the last 'owners' got rid of SKY and got in some Asian satelitte system, us locals bolted and went to the Miners, Luckwell or BS3. Then they got SKY back in and we gradually returned.

Also, will you be doing food? There are a lot of families in the Ashton/Ashton Vale area that would eat and stay longer if you did food like you do in the BS3.

DON'T SELL CANS!!!!! Many locals hated this, particularly the older ones. I know natch is in a can, in a can, cider in a can (sorry couldn't resist) but fosters. carling etc sold in a can just isn't a pub thing.

I wish you the best of luck and can't wait to get back in there, specially with summer sort of round the corner.

MM

Yes we will being doing food, however this wont be possible initially due to the time scales we are working with. Give us a few weeks to get settled and then that in definitely something we intend to introduce.

Cans?? other than natch of course. Surely that if a sure sign of even the pub knowing its beer is tosh!

On a matchday it is a convenience thing purely to releive the pressure on the bar, so whole different ball game. But on a day to day basis, DEFINITELY NOT!!

I cant believe anywhere actually does!

I can look into Bath ales, although obviously, being a tied house there are some limitations on what we are able to stock and I'm not sure that Bath Ales will be big enough outside this locality to be a stockable product, but i will find out and cost it up and see if its possible/viable.

Cheers for the feedback and suggestions, and our intention is to run The Robins in a similar way to BS3, so, I'm glad you like it!!

Cheers

Rob

Good luck to you Rob. Its about time that the Robins had some decent management. It for years has been like a rudderless ship.

Are we likely to be a refit ala BS3?

Not quite, but it is having a full re-dec. funds are far more limited than when we did BS3, and the brewery arent spending on this project, so like i say, bare with us while on going works are carried out after opening, however i think people will see a notable improvement, even by saturday!

We are also installing Big screens and plasma T.V., getting Sky & Setanta sports, a full entertainment system ala BS3 and in increasing numbers of serving staff.

Cheers

Rob

Just to confirm, i am able to stock Bath Ales, GEM in cask as one of our real ales, so thats what we will go with along with Courage Best Cask initially and see how they go.

Cheers

Rob

Good work might have to get down there and have a look on Saturday think what you have done with Bar BS3 is fantastic.

Shame about the over 21 thing on the opening is that a perm choice or just for then? Not that it matters to me I live in Southmead I remmember the Peggy doing it some time back and it was a success until the guy sold up and bought the football club house.

Just to confirm, i am able to stock Bath Ales, GEM in cask as one of our real ales, so thats what we will go with along with Courage Best Cask initially and see how they go.

Cheers

Rob

Brilliant many thanks Rob. Gem is a popular Ale in most pubs in town and when we as a department go out (18 of us) half have Bath Ales Gem. As for the food thing, this will be popular in the Summer. I normally bring he kids down Friday evenings til 6pm and Saturday afternoons when City are away til 6pm and would often like to snack on Burger and Chips etc... so end up going the chinese which gets boring! (No disrespect to Chinese food).

I'll do my best to get down for opening night, if not, see you on a Friday afternoon/evening.

MM

Archived