IGNORED

Johnson Taking The Weekend Off?

bh red

Don't get me wrong, everyone deserves a bit of time off every now and again and maybe I am being harsh, but I just saw Johnson's quote in the Evening Post yesterday

"There will be no business done over the weekend because we are having a couple of days off. But I'm still looking and things could happen right at the last minute.

"We still have another week to go after this one and it could be that things happen at very short notice."

Fair enough the players are having a weekend rest with a few days since the last game and a few more days until the next game...........however

should Gary really be taking a weekend off right in the middle of the month of the transfer window? surely he should be using the weekend to scout players who are possible signings? after all Gary's always saying we are looking at players, he's got a free saturday what better time to check on other players he's possible intersted in first hand?

views?

Don't get me wrong, everyone deserves a bit of time off every now and again and maybe I am being harsh, but I just saw Johnson's quote in the Evening Post yesterday

"There will be no business done over the weekend because we are having a couple of days off. But I'm still looking and things could happen right at the last minute.

"We still have another week to go after this one and it could be that things happen at very short notice."

Fair enough the players are having a weekend rest with a few days since the last game and a few more days until the next game...........however

should Gary really be taking a weekend off right in the middle of the month of the transfer window? surely he should be using the weekend to scout players who are possible signings? after all Gary's always saying we are looking at players, he's got a free saturday what better time to check on other players he's possible intersted in first hand?

views?

Well going by past experience, what he is saying is this

" There will be no one new coming in".

I cant say i am happy about it as certain positions are blatantly in need of improving but it happens every Jan window.

Leading in all we hear is how the current squad are not good enough and that GJ will improve it, THEN we win a couple of games on the bounce right before the window and that means that those players that were not good enough two weeks ago are now.

I hope he is right but i think this one will bite him in the arse.

views?

Bit rought that, how do you know what he's up to this weekend? He may very well be sat at home watching videos of players trying to make his mind up :disapointed2se:

Perhaps I'm alone in this but to me that comment comes across rather positive, as if something may infact happen.

'It could be that things happen at very short notice' suggests, to me, that 'irons are in firmly in the fire' and it may simply be a matter of patience.

Yea I think Lee's Message In The Evening Post Could Have Meant One Of Two Things and they are as follows........

''Lee and Players Are Have A Weekend Off Along With A Few More Days Until Next Game''

''There Could Be A Deal Done Between City And Another Club For Lee To Go Out On Loan But If There Is A Deal For Him To Go Out On Loan It Certainly WILL NOT Be Done Before His Days Off Are Finished''

He says he won't be doing any business but is looking at things.

I despair sometimes at the feeble attempts to find fault at every turn.

Sorry, it was a question following a recent comment from Gary wondered whether I was the only one who thought something following the said comment, I thought that was the point of the forum. or would you actually prefer it if every thread was actually only about LJ, Elliott and the Academy

no pleasing some people.......

:disapointed2se:

Perhaps I'm alone in this but to me that comment comes across rather positive, as if something may infact happen.

'It could be that things happen at very short notice' suggests, to me, that 'irons are in firmly in the fire' and it may simply be a matter of patience.

hopefully that is the case and he's just waiting for a few phone calls to come through.

just struck me as an odd comment to come out with only few weeks back Gary was saying how he was stuck with what he had until the transfer window opened again, then when the window is open, he says he's going to take a weekend off???

just find it an odd one,

Sorry, it was a question following a recent comment from Gary wondered whether I was the only one who thought something following the said comment, I thought that was the point of the forum. or would you actually prefer it if every thread was actually only about LJ, Elliott and the Academy

no pleasing some people.......

:disapointed2se:

You could please me by occasionally finding something positive to say or by posting in a way that didn't have a spin to it.

Anyway, you don't have to please me bh_red. Sorry, I mean 'ashtonsmate' (I get so easily confused), but thanks for the consideration.

views?

I would hope that Garry and his scouts have all the facts on any players he wishes to bring in.

You make it sound as if he is rushing around like a headless chicken.

If it happens all well and good :fingerscrossed:

If this is all you can find to throw are our manager, then he can't be doing too much wrong !

The club is not a one man operation, even if the playing staff and manager have had a weekend off it does not mean the scouts, chairman etc are.

I am sure we are currently looking at a number of player options, this only means that nothing major is likley to happen over a whole two day period, and i

equally sure that if somthing unforseen comes up that someone in the office knows GJ's phone number !!!

views?

Maybe you should let SL know. He will no doubt be grateful to you for bringing to his attention BCFC staff that dare to skive. Expect resignations next week.

On my weekend off I enjoy watching a game or 2 so maybe GJ is going to enjoy a weekend off like I and a lot of other people do. Difference is if he spots someone he thinks looks good won't go posting on OTIB but will make some calls to try and sign them. A manager never gets time off, I bet he goes to Majorca talent spotting (but don't tell Mrs GJ :cool2: )

You know what attempts are being made?

Enlighten us.

Feeble i think the term used was edson, perhaps failed in his attemps at the present time to strengthen the squad in the areas he deems necessary would be more appropriate, but as GJ has never said what areas these are we can only speculate. Glad he is having the weekend off, hope he is watching some good football, might give him some food for thought :fingerscrossed:

I think he is spot on. Prices are always higher in the January window, we don't look likely to reach the Play-Offs, we look reasonably safe from relegation, and there are likely to be better bargains available in the summer. Why put the Club in greater debt by spending millions chasing an unlikely goal?

I think he is spot on. Prices are always higher in the January window, we don't look likely to reach the Play-Offs, we look reasonably safe from relegation, and there are likely to be better bargains available in the summer. Why put the Club in greater debt by spending millions chasing an unlikely goal?

and yet he bought styvar for a higher fee, despite being able to get him cheaper in the summer, plus he didn't really bring the players in that some felt were needed in the summer?

I'm not saying he should bring in loads of players in the next week or so or even one or two? or that he shouldn't take time off (despite the standard forum over-reaction to this thread), it's just that only a few weeks ago he was bemoaning that he wasn't able to bring players in, but when the transfer window does open, he does little business

much like a few weeks ago, when he wasn't happy about the squad, he was happy a week or so before when the loan window was open?

Gary's just confusing lately........it's seems a frequent case of when he's able to bring players in, he feels he doesn't need to and is happy with what he has, but the when the window is closed.....he complains that he can't bring anyone in.

You could please me by occasionally finding something positive to say or by posting in a way that didn't have a spin to it.

Anyway, you don't have to please me bh_red. Sorry, I mean 'ashtonsmate' (I get so easily confused), but thanks for the consideration.

we all despair

Good point Chappers.

However, the reason the transfer window is in January is that it's the last point as which seasons still have time to be turned around.

Styvar was brought in early because he needs the rest of the season to get used to our English game.

THe one benefit of us being too far away with ten games left(but safe)wil hopefully be the chance to give some youngsters some league experience, too.

I think it may also be a case that, with January 31st falling on a Saturday and the window being extended to February 2nd, a lot of selling clubs will want to get as many games as possible out of their players before letting them go. That, allied to the fact there is a full programme of midweek fixtures, suggests to me that a lot of the real business will be done late this week and on deadline day (Monday).

I also haven't seen a single player move that I felt we may be in for yet, so it would seem that not many other clubs are doing vast amounts of business at the moment either.

I thought the Stuyvar delay was due to the UEFA Cup, but I may be wrong. I just think that many fans are setting their sights too high, we are not a rich Club, we are not a 'Big Club', SL is no Abramovitch and wants the Club to break-even. We need to strengthen, but we need to bring in players who will actually do that. I think he wants Trundle off the wage bill to free up cash for a new signing, and hopes that he can recoup part of the fee, John is just a stop-gap and barring a major change in form, will be released in the summer and Stuyvar is learning ready for next season (Well, on his early performances I hope he improves!). If we are mid-table, let's hope James Wilson gets a few games, it should push his transfer fee right up if the tales of Premier League scouts are accurate.

Archived