IGNORED

"we've Had A Couple Of Big Offers For Our Players"

bristolcitysweden

"We've had a couple of big offers for our players but we are not going to be selling them," added Johnson.

http://news.BBC.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/t...est/7865196.stm

Is that Adebola and Trundle?

Other possibiltys are Basso, James Wilson, Elliott, Noble & Maynard I reckon.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Tommy

i'd guess one of those was marvin.

Elliott and Adebola - Agree

How much do you think was offered for Adebola...£100,000?

I don't think it would be possible to keep any other bids quiet in this day and age would it? - unless GJ lets us know, then I think it has to be ME/the

6 figure sum?? should have took it and run! :disapointed2se:

I think most people would disagree with that. He may be old, but he is a good player who is experienced and we have no one to do that role. All this crap about him forcing us to play long ball is rubbish. Dele played very well Saturday when we started to play the ball to feet and let him run the channels.

I think most people would disagree with that. He may be old, but he is a good player who is experienced and we have no one to do that role. All this crap about him forcing us to play long ball is rubbish. Dele played very well Saturday when we started to play the ball to feet and let him run the channels.

Is not totally rubbish - its true but its not his fault, so I think thats irrelevant. But what does he offer apart from working hard and winning the odd header - that usually goes straight to the opposition by the way.

The only time he has looked as good as last season was when he's had a rest or comes on as sub.

But he's a forward who is coming to the end of his career - cannot do 90 minutes week in week out - contract expiring.

A 6 figure sum is a huge offer for him IMO.

Also a bit worried that we're going to offer him a new contract :noexpression:

Is not totally rubbish - its true but its not his fault, so I think thats irrelevant. But what does he offer apart from working hard and winning the odd header - that usually goes straight to the opposition by the way.

The only time he has looked as good as last season was when he's had a rest or comes on as sub.

But he's a forward who is coming to the end of his career - cannot do 90 minutes week in week out - contract expiring.

Then worry no longer - cos we have!

It is only partly true. The team resorts to long high balls when they lack confidence. I get the impression Dele doesn't enjoy that much. For a big man he is not that great in the air. When they feel confident he gets passes to feet or into the channels. With the latter he is excellent as he powers past defenders who bounce off him. Couldn't have a better example than the Wolves game. He is good at what he does; it is up to his team mates to exploit his strengths.

It is only partly true. The team resorts to long high balls when they lack confidence. I get the impression Dele doesn't enjoy that much. For a big man he is not that great in the air. When they feel confident he gets passes to feet or into the channels

I agree. We undoubtly play long ball when he's in the side and we're low of confidence - but not dele's fault at all

With the latter he is excellent as he powers past defenders who bounce off him. Couldn't have a better example than the Wolves game.

I don't see that happening very often anymore - unless he's had a rest or come on as sub... like the wolves game itself.

I would keep him as super sub this season then let him go.

If you need to know what he brings to the team, then think about to the Wolves and Southampton games.

It is rubbish because as chinapig said, its down to confidence and I doubt Dele likes it either. Cast your mind back to when we was pumping long balls up to Byfield/Jevons/Showunmi/Trundle. It has nothing to do with Dele being in the team, its just when Dele is in the team it occasionally works.

As for the 6 figure sum, we arent in League 1 anymore. 100k isnt alot of money, compared to what we'd lose and how much he would cost to replace.

another bad move in my opinion. (first one being that we rejected the bid)

Oh well, just have to hope he proves me wrong - doubt it.

If his presence on the training pitch accelerates Akinde's readiness for the first team, then I can see the sense in it.

We played long ball last season before we even had Adebola - we even tried long ball some games with any permutation of Byfield, Sproule & Trundle upfront. When we panic we go long, no matter who is in the team.

My only issue with Dele is that he struggles with more than 1 game a week - however he can be used sparingly as sub or alternated with Styvar/Akinde.

I think he's done enough to warrant a further years deal.

Yes, but Adebola is a similar style of player with bags of experience.

Don't you think Akinde can benefit from training alongside someone like that?

I think your right on that front.

But I'm not looking forward to watching Dele Adebola playing up front for us for the next 18 months - because I don't think we'll be sucessful or get anywhere near promotion.

another bad move in my opinion. (first one being that we rejected the bid)

Oh well, just have to hope he proves me wrong - doubt it.

Riaz - you state that selling Adebola would be a bad move. Why? What would selling him do to add to the squad.

If we had no money for transfers and 100k was a massive sum, with which we could buy a better replacement, then I'd agree with you.

But how is it a bad move for the club to turn down an insignificant sum of money for a useful member of our squad?

Riaz - you state that selling Adebola would be a bad move. Why? What would selling him do to add to the squad.

If we had no money for transfers and 100k was a massive sum, with which we could buy a better replacement, then I'd agree with you.

But how is it a bad move for the club to turn down an insignificant sum of money for a useful member of our squad?

your opinion is that he is useful - mine is that he is only useful as a substitute. 100k or more for someone who should only be used as a sub and is at the wrong end of his career is a good deal for us.

If he's here for the next 18 months and he starts most games - I'm convinced we wont even get near promotion.

I think your right on that front.

But I'm not looking forward to watching Dele Adebola playing up front for us for the next 18 months - because I don't think we'll be sucessful or get anywhere near promotion.

We seem to be moving in the right direction so far with Adebola at the club.

We seem to be moving in the right direction so far with Adebola at the club.

I fail to see how you come to that conclusion. I think we've gone backwards and the stats would seem to suggest I'm correct

see the topic i posted below

Dele Adebola Effect

I'm sure that stats would be similar now. We're picking up less points since he signed than we did before.

I fail to see how you come to that conclusion. I think we've gone backwards and the stats would seem to suggest I'm correct

see the topic i posted below

Dele Adebola Effect

I'm sure that stats would be similar now. We're picking up less points since he signed than we did before.

Oh yeah of course, according to you our slump after Christmas last year is because we signed Adebola and Johnson was injured.

IMO, Adebola was our most effective striker last season and scored a decent 6 goals. I doubt we'd have won aganist Wolves or maybe Southampton, if it wasnt for Dele.

Oh yeah of course, according to you our slump after Christmas last year is because we signed Adebola and Johnson was injured.

IMO, Adebola was our most effective striker last season and scored a decent 6 goals. I doubt we'd have won aganist Wolves or maybe Southampton, if it wasnt for Dele.

Why did he perform in those games?

What about at the beginning of the season when he was playing 90 minutes week in week out but was very poor?

In this thread you say he wins few headers in this thread, but in the 'Dele Adebola effect' you say he wins alot. Strange. If he played well like he know he can in every game, he'd be in the Premier League and be competing with Heskey in the England.

Seems little point debating with you and as you seem intent of slagging Dele off and refusing to see his good points. Similar to some of the people who constantly slag off Lee Johnson

your opinion is that he is useful - mine is that he is only useful as a substitute. 100k or more for someone who should only be used as a sub and is at the wrong end of his career is a good deal for us.

If he's here for the next 18 months and he starts most games - I'm convinced we wont even get near promotion.

I don't think he will start the majority of games - I think that will be Maynard & Styvar - however I still think he's a useful player to have.

Whilst the results from Jan - May last season were worse than those from Aug - Dec I don't see Dele as the reason for that.

I agree. We undoubtly play long ball when he's in the side and we're low of confidence - but not dele's fault at all

I don't see that happening very often anymore - unless he's had a rest or come on as sub... like the wolves game itself.

I would keep him as super sub this season then let him go.

Then let us all be thankful that you do not make the decisions then.

Dele offers a threat to opposition defences and I am sure if you asked Maynard he would say that he likes to play with him.Just as players like playing with Heskey.I am pleased Dele has stayed and hope he sticks with us next season

Archived