IGNORED

Comparison To Hull Last Season

NYTRAM

All this talk about the weather. Lets change the subject back to this seasons possibilities.

There has been talk about Hulls charge up the league last season and how our season could now be similar. Well my nephew did some searching over the weekend and this time last year Hull were 11th with 41 pts and a goal diff of +2 (ironically the same as ours before tonight) I believe that they had played one game less. However there target of 3rd place eventually was closer i.e Brum have more points than the team in 3rd place this time last season. Can't find the source now but I know it was on Football365 on there Stats site.

Just goes to show we are still in with a good shout of the playoffs.

Great to see some enthusiasm on here with so many doom merchants around lately.

The grit and determination over the past few weeks has shown that the players have the hunger to kick on and make the play offs once again, and once the likes of Manynard & Elliott are back in contention we'll be in a much stronger position.

All this talk about the weather. Lets change the subject back to this seasons possibilities.

There has been talk about Hulls charge up the league last season and how our season could now be similar. Well my nephew did some searching over the weekend and this time last year Hull were 11th with 41 pts and a goal diff of +2 (ironically the same as ours before tonight) I believe that they had played one game less. However there target of 3rd place eventually was closer i.e Brum have more points than the team in 3rd place this time last season. Can't find the source now but I know it was on Football365 on there Stats site.

What did Hull do in the transfer market to bring in players to make that 'Push'? A bit more than us I suggest!

• Admin

On 2nd Feb last year the table looked like

http://www.bcfc.co.uk/page/LeagueTable/0,,...0080202,00.html

and the final table

http://www.bcfc.co.uk/page/LeagueTable/0,,...0080504,00.html

We obviously have a good chance of a decent assault on the playoffs, although too many injuries to key players could scupper it, as we haven't real strength in depth and GJ doesn't seem to make loan signings which have a big impact, a la Campbell at Hull last season.

and the final table

We obviously have a good chance of a decent assault on the playoffs, although too many injuries to key players could scupper it, as we haven't real strength in depth and GJ doesn't seem to make loan signings which have a big impact, a la Campbell at Hull last season.

That could prove to be the difference.

That could prove to be the difference.

Agree, but we will have a lot of fun this season for the big push.

Its becoming clearer that the worse case scenario is that we will finish the season as a stable CCC club with a stronger squad than the year before..

...that will be a cause for celebration in itself for those who care to remember the perennial drudgery of the third tier (rather than our 'new' fans who will obviously see it as an underachievement)

What did Hull do in the transfer market to bring in players to make that 'Push'? A bit more than us I suggest!

You suggest wrong...

By the close of the January window they signed precisely 0 permanent transfers, sold 5 players and brought just 2 players in who made 5 starts and 5 sub appearances between them during the rest of the season.

Phil Brown decided instead to keep faith in the players he already had at the club and it was largely those players whose good form from February onwards that saw them up.

• Admin
He bloody tries to.

I wasn't being critical, just a statement of fact, it seems that we aren't an attractive proposition for players or managers when it comes to loans, perhaps once we are recognised as a 'genuine championship' club, it will improve, but are we just too much 'in the sticks' for many.

You suggest wrong...

By the close of the January window they signed precisely 0 permanent transfers, sold 5 players and brought just 2 players in who made 5 starts and 5 sub appearances between them during the rest of the season.

Phil Brown decided instead to keep faith in the players he already had at the club and it was largely those players whose good form from February onwards that saw them up.

Come come Edson. This is OTIB. You mustn't let silly things like facts get in the way. ;):innocent06:

Trying to make comparison's is fraught with difficulty as there are few if any constants between last season and this season (or even our last match and the next match).

Historically (previous eight seasons) it has taken 73 points to creep into the playoffs, last year was the lowest total required in the Noughties (Hull managed 70 points).

The problem this season is that we have managed an average of just 1.41 points per game compared with 1.7 (after 29 games) last season and we really need to get around 1.6 - 1.7 points average over the entire season. Last season WBA, Sjoke and Hull all managed over 1.6 (we did too - 1.61).

The problem this season is that the top four are all averaging over 1.7 ( 2.1, 1.93, 1.87 and 1.76 respectively) and we are left playing catch up.

Realistically we will need to achieve 32 points from these last 17 games to get in the top six unless plenty of those already ahead of us have a major blow-up between now and the end of the season (17 - 18 matches).

It means we may need as many as 32 points from 17 games (1.88/game). and even Hull did not manage that last season from their charge to the playoffs (1.82).

So maybe it's time to put thoughts of reaching the prayoffs away for a season and concentrate on establishing ourselves as a solid CCC side?

Pre-season I had hoped that we could build on last seasons excellent performance and get another prayoff spot, but now I feel that a good run in, mid to upper CCC finish outside of the top six would be a great achievement.

Getting Wilson and Ribero fit and contenders for the first 11 next season would be a huge bonus for me.

• Admin
We've got Stern John, so what are you on about? :tumbleweed::innocent06:

You mind your tongue doesn't get stuck in your cheek........

Just out of interest, Campbell made 37 appearances for Hull last season, scoring 15 times, an average of 0.40 goals per game, better than his career average of 0.35 GPG.

Stern John has made 17 appearances for us so far, scoring twice (once in a 3-1 win, once in a 1-4-1 defeat, so neither goal crucial) giving him a City average 0f 0.11 GPG, which is worse than his career average of 0.28 GPG

Our other strikers have career averages of:

Maynard - 0.47 GPG

Akinde - 0.33 GPG

Styvar (info not easily to hand)

Trundle - 0.39 GPG

Adebola - 0.23 GPG

Maynards figure is up there with the noted strikers of the last decade or so, could be a big name if he can keep it up.

Historically (previous eight seasons) it has taken 73 points to creep into the playoffs, last year was the lowest total required in the Noughties (Hull managed 70 points).

Do you mean Watford? Hull finished 3rd on 75.

I agree that comparisons with Hull are pretty pointless.

It will be very tough to make the play-offs but a win today would at least put us into contention going into the last 3rd of the season.

Its becoming clearer that the worse case scenario is that we will finish the season as a stable CCC club with a stronger squad than the year before..

...that will be a cause for celebration in itself for those who care to remember the perennial drudgery of the third tier (rather than our 'new' fans who will obviously see it as an underachievement)

totally agree. I'm very happy with where we are, don't miss trips to brighton and yeovil one bit. especially after nov/dec when we really struggled. after the burnley loss i was a touch worried that we might go down as we looked lost.

obviously I'm behind the boys all the way for a tilt at the PO's and promotion would be amazing, but for me I'm just enjoying the championship at the moment.

Reaching the play-offs is not an unattainable target at all. A continuation of our good form up to and into the Reading match could see us on the verge of the play-off positions. The next 4 games are all very winnable and even Reading Away could be an opportunity for us to grab a point at least.

My prediction is that Reading will finish top with a 100+ points total, Wolves will just about hang on to second and then the play-off positions will go to Birmingham, Swansea, Sheffield United and ourselves. Barnsley, Charlton and Norwich will be relegated, with Southampton and Donny just about surviving.

Amen to that GB - I've seen enough Division 3 football to last me a life time.

2 minutes research suggests the opposite actually.

But don't let the facts get in the way of a good whinge.

True. They brought in Frazier Campbell from Manure on loan and he helped to propel them to the playoffs. Scored about 20 goals for them during his loan spell I think, the lad was pure class in the CCC.

True. They brought in Frazier Campbell from Manure on loan and he helped to propel them to the playoffs. Scored about 20 goals for them during his loan spell I think, the lad was pure class in the CCC.

He joined in the previous October and scored 15.

Trying to make comparison's is fraught with difficulty as there are few if any constants between last season and this season (or even our last match and the next match).

The problem this season is that we have managed an average of just 1.41 points per game compared with 1.7 (after 29 games) last season and we really need to get around 1.6 - 1.7 points average over the entire season. Last season WBA, Sjoke and Hull all managed over 1.6 (we did too - 1.61).

The problem this season is that the top four are all averaging over 1.7 ( 2.1, 1.93, 1.87 and 1.76 respectively) and we are left playing catch up.

Realistically we will need to achieve 32 points from these last 17 games to get in the top six unless plenty of those already ahead of us have a major blow-up between now and the end of the season (17 - 18 matches).

It means we may need as many as 32 points from 17 games (1.88/game). and even Hull did not manage that last season from their charge to the playoffs (1.82).

So maybe it's time to put thoughts of reaching the prayoffs away for a season and concentrate on establishing ourselves as a solid CCC side?

Pre-season I had hoped that we could build on last seasons excellent performance and get another prayoff spot, but now I feel that a good run in, mid to upper CCC finish outside of the top six would be a great achievement.

Getting Wilson and Ribero fit and contenders for the first 11 next season would be a huge bonus for me.

All of what you say is fair and logical.

However, what's to say we won't be 6th by the end of Feb? Then, our greatest allies would be our good friends Momentum and Confidence!

Maybe I should have held back from posting this until after the game though. Off I go...

How about this for a coincidence:-

This time last year a certain Hull City had a goal difference of +2, had 41 points and sat 11th in the table.

The only difference being they had played one less.

Before tonight's match we were exactly the same... if Hull can do it so darn well can we chaps...

What an amazing coincidence heh?

What do you all reckon?

Oh and another interesting coincidence... we had 51 pts from 29 games same time last year but our goals for and against was exactly the same at 36 and 34... what does that tell you?... this year is a lot tougher as many of you had predicted. interesting facts and stats i pulled out of the ether while on a boring afternoon.

UTC :englandsmile4wf:

I realise Nytran already posted a similar thread... sorry bout that.. argh well. its scuh a coincidence it deserves to be repeated!!

Nytram... sorry, missed your post.... I found the same stats!!!!

arghhh well, it really was a big coincidence so two posts i think is warranted.. mine has a further stat about us last season against same time this. happy days. :englandsmile4wf:

and the final table

Talk about uncannily similar!

Hull had 44 from 29.

We have 44 from 30.

Both have +3 goaldifference.

2nd placed Watford had 52 from 30 games....Reading have 58 from 30 games.

Unlikely but you can never say never!

We've got an average of 3.0 points per game so far since your post!! :winner_third_h4h:

15 in 35 games - not from January.

Wouldn't disagree with that, I didn't realise the stipulation was loan from the January window though.

He joined in the previous October and scored 15.

Fairy nuff. I'm a bit number blind sometimes but that 15 is 7 or 8 more than Darren (bless him) achieved last season and I doubt many would disagree with the fact that our lack of goals basically cost us auto promotion.

We've got an average of 3.0 points per game so far since your post!! :winner_third_h4h:

And 16 points from the last 18! Average of 2.67 per game. If we can continue this run of unbeaten in the league (and converting draws to wins at home) since Burnley turned us over (on the 20th Dec?) at AG we could well put ourselves into contention by the end of this month. Keeping this momentum going is key though and only playing 45 minutes of football (second halves) could catch us out as we compete with the current top six, four of whom we have to play again this season.

Anything is possible.

Absolutely - well, almost, especially at my age! :D

We have to guard against complacency and start putting in the effort like we did for the majority of last season and in that respect there can be no hiding place for under par performances in the side.

I am not a happy clapper with this 'always believe' nonsense, but I do TRUST Gary to try to get 100% out of the players in the squad, regardless of who steps onto the pitch.

Archived