IGNORED

Christian Roberts Testimonial

AK47

Don't know if people are aware but Christians Testomonial takes place next week at Swindle where a Swindle XI take on a Chelsea XI who will include Zola Le Saux Wise Poyet and possibly Gullit.

Although not of legend status I will never forget that goal against Hartlepool and it's a great shame he has had to retire from the game early.

Weather permitting I for one will support him one last time and I hope he is able to make a few quid,can't be easy if you don't know much else.

Don't know if people are aware but Christians Testomonial takes place next week at Swindle where a Swindle XI take on a Chelsea XI who will include Zola Le Saux Wise Poyet and possibly Gullit.

Although not of legend status I will never forget that goal against Hartlepool and it's a great shame he has had to retire from the game early.

Weather permitting I for one will support him one last time and I hope he is able to make a few quid,can't be easy if you don't know much else.

Nice jesture by Swindon but I won't be going.

Roberts may have had to retire from pro football early but he can get a job just like everyone else. Loads of people don't have any qualifications. The thing about having played pro football is that he'll get a PFA pension so its not as if he'll be broke and living on the dole.

He scored some very important and memorable goals for us, hope he gets a good turn-out

I'll never forget THAT goal at Mansfield in the 5-4 win. Also the hat trick away at Barnsley sticks in the mind.

Other than that, I can't bring myself to feel too sorry for him. He had the opportunity that millions dream of and unfortunately made some bad decisions along the way. I'm no expert on alcoholism, but everyone has problems and most of us choose to face them without resorting to the bottle.

I'll never forget THAT goal at Mansfield in the 5-4 win. Also the hat trick away at Barnsley sticks in the mind.

Other than that, I can't bring myself to feel too sorry for him. He had the opportunity that millions dream of and unfortunately made some bad decisions along the way. I'm no expert on alcoholism, but everyone has problems and most of us choose to face them without resorting to the bottle.

You don't say, you think anyone would chose to be addicted to alcohol? Anyway thats a whole different debate.

Good player for us although I remember he got a lot of stick during his time here wish him well and a nice send off but agree it is not like he is going to be struggling in the future for funds would be nice if he put it into a charity maybe the AA would be a good choice.

Having now seen the above post fair play :)

You don't say, you think anyone would chose to be addicted to alcohol? Anyway thats a whole different debate.

Of course not, but you're right this isn't the place to discuss that.

My point is I find it difficult to sympathise with somebody who didn't make the most of an opportunity that many others would kill for.

I'm no expert on alcoholism, but everyone has problems and most of us choose to face them without resorting to the bottle.

Wow I've never heard someone so bluntly make such a terrible underestimation on one of the unsolved mysteries of biology and psychology

The fact is no one knows why people get addicted, psycholgical dependence is one thing that no one can work out at the moment; everyone can enjoy a drink, some people can abuse alcohol, some get addicted; there is no corrolation between the 3 as far as anyone can see at the moment

Its really not fair at all to describe alcoholics as just people who turned to alcohol in times of trouble, its an addiction

Wow I've never heard someone so blunted make such a terrible underestimation on one of the unsolved mysteries of biology and psychology

Somebody so blunted?

Seeing as we've never met and you've based that statment on one sentance i posted above, it seems i'm not the only one making "terrible underestimations".

Hartlepool and Mansfield matches.. was at both of those... for me the goals he scored in those matches alone give him legend status; for the sheer importance and/or volume of celebration that followed.

I was very disappointed when he left.

The PFA pension for a football league player would not give him a particularly great income.. he deserves a cash pay day.

dead right your no expert on alcoholism.you forgot to mention

no-one chooses to be an alcoholic.hats off to him for doing something about it

Yeah that brings back some memories, watched the related video 'Phillips sent the gas down' as well which is equally as good. It's a damn shame whoever used to have the highlights of the Mansfield game on there took them down because Roberts' last goal was an absolute belter.

Mansfield game on BCFC World, great matches. And it was.

Hartlepool and Mansfield matches.. was at both of those... for me the goals he scored in those matches alone give him legend status; for the sheer importance and/or volume of celebration that followed.

I was very disappointed when he left.

The PFA pension for a football league player would not give him a particularly great income.. he deserves a cash pay day.

i wonder how much hes been payed over the years

Yes he made bad decisions along the way but why is his alcoholism even being discussed.It was a persistant knee problem that finished him.At least he was man enough to accept he had a problem with alcohol and I belive has had treatment for his addiction.For me thats good enough,it could of been me or you and we are in no position to make such judgements on the mans character.

Archived