IGNORED

We're An "unfashionable Side"

Barrs Court Red

According to Robbie Savage (May have been Salako if not) on the Big League on Sky.

Maybe this reflects why we seem to miss out on players, especially perhaps loan signings from big clubs like Arsenal.

Thoughts? I tend to agree, while some of our own seem to think we're a big club, the fact is we've done nothing of note since the 70's so can see why people outside of the area take little notce of City.

We are seen as a small championship club - punching above our weight.

We definately havent been given the respect we deserve since we've come up!

Considering we finished highest of the Championship clubs that stayed down - no one thinks we'd go up - even at the beginning of the season....

We are a team on the up and i think are time as a big team will come as i think were building towards it. I think we will be a bigger club then Derby soon and i think once in the premier will we do alot better then they did.

A club like City don't become bigger than Derby over night mate! They are far bigger than us in terms of fan base and pulling power, will take us years to overtake a club like that! This is the first time in a long time we've been in the same division as them - reality check time!

We need to start matching the medium size clubs in this league first, Preston, Burnley, Palace etc and do it regularly before we can think about moving in on the big boys. That isn't to say that we can't and won't finish above Derby, Norwich etc this season but they are a step up in terms of size.

Really wish some people would except that we need to walk before we can run. Last season was fantastic, this season is shaping up quite nicely too, no reason we shouldn't be looking towards the Premier League, but if it doesn't happen as long as we improve year on year, build the fanbase, improve the squad, get into the new ground etc then I'm a happy man. Seen too much dross down The Gate over the years to not be one happy Sh*thead right now!

We are a team on the up and i think are time as a big team will come as i think were building towards it. I think we will be a bigger club then Derby soon and i think once in the premier will we do alot better then they did.

What gives teams like Derby an advantage over us is being in one club towns so their fan base is not diluted. Look at Norwich's gates as an example. To that extent it is hard for us to match them.

According to Robbie Savage (May have been Salako if not) on the Big League on Sky.

Maybe this reflects why we seem to miss out on players, especially perhaps loan signings from big clubs like Arsenal.

Thoughts? I tend to agree, while some of our own seem to think we're a big club, the fact is we've done nothing of note since the 70's so can see why people outside of the area take little notce of City.

That doesn't sound like Salako but if he did say that then it must have been said with a certain amount of affection because the bloke absolutely loves City.

Salako is one of our biggest friends in the national media, always praising City's style of play and looking suitably pleased if we score in a game he is covering. The very opposite of the dour and never impressed Beagrie.

He has no background with City so this soft spot for all things AG can only be put down to a genuine regard for our football and, I reckon, our manager.

As for City being unfashionable, little doubt we are, but our profile and our standing have been raised hugely from the day GJ was appointed and continues to be further boosted each year as we establish ourselves at this level.

Not that its that important but still interesting to have a think about. I think its all about your past. Post war we have been in the top flight for 5 seasons which was 30 years ago and been in league one for most of the last 10 years as well. Of course we are not fashionable The teams who have been in the premier league, have bigger fanbases and a better history than us will be considered more fasionable. There are lots of more fashionable clubs than us in this league but I think the future is looking better for us.

That doesn't sound like Salako but if he did say that then it must have been said with a certain amount of affection because the bloke absolutely loves City.

Salako is one of our biggest friends in the national media, always praising City's style of play and looking suitably pleased if we score in a game he is covering. The very opposite of the dour and never impressed Beagrie.

He has no background with City so this soft spot for all things AG can only be put down to a genuine regard for our football and, I reckon, our manager.

As for City being unfashionable, little doubt we are, but our profile and our standing have been raised hugely from the day GJ was appointed and continues to be further boosted each year as we establish ourselves at this level.

You're right, and he was complimentary last night too (I think it was Savage who said unfashionable but he wasn't disrespectful in his tone), reeling off our players' names like he was a fan. :worship2:

A club like City don't become bigger than Derby over night mate! They are far bigger than us in terms of fan base and pulling power, will take us years to overtake a club like that! This is the first time in a long time we've been in the same division as them - reality check time!

We need to start matching the medium size clubs in this league first, Preston, Burnley, Palace etc and do it regularly before we can think about moving in on the big boys. That isn't to say that we can't and won't finish above Derby, Norwich etc this season but they are a step up in terms of size.

Really wish some people would except that we need to walk before we can run. Last season was fantastic, this season is shaping up quite nicely too, no reason we shouldn't be looking towards the Premier League, but if it doesn't happen as long as we improve year on year, build the fanbase, improve the squad, get into the new ground etc then I'm a happy man. Seen too much dross down The Gate over the years to not be one happy Sh*thead right now!

In all fairness I think it is pretty clear that we are a bigger club than the likes of these two. I take your point re clubs such as Derby coming from a one club town but they don't have the catchment area like City do. Any surrounding areas will be split due to the relatively close proximity of other biggish teams such as Leicester, Forest, even Notts County. And lets not forget that the City of Bristol is a big old place and really we should be getting bigger crowds than we are. Maybe the Premier League will bring these on a regular basis if/when we get there and maybe the new ground will draw in more fans as well ala Swansea. Time will tell. As to us being an unfashionable side - yeah we probably are in all honesty, but no-one likes coming to Ashton Gate as spectators and opposing players alike know that they could be in for a rough time.

CTID

Spot on mate, the sooner some people on here accept what your saying, the better.

Savage said it. And hes right!

can see why people outside of the area take little notce of City.

Yup, this was certainly true a few years ago, but I genuinely believe that this is changing. Certainly, up here in "The London", more of my mates take an interest in what we're doing now.

Things are a changin'....... :winner_third_h4h:

In all fairness I think it is pretty clear that we are a bigger club than the likes of these two. I take your point re clubs such as Derby coming from a one club town but they don't have the catchment area like City do. Any surrounding areas will be split due to the relatively close proximity of other biggish teams such as Leicester, Forest, even Notts County. And lets not forget that the City of Bristol is a big old place and really we should be getting bigger crowds than we are. Maybe the Premier League will bring these on a regular basis if/when we get there and maybe the new ground will draw in more fans as well ala Swansea. Time will tell. As to us being an unfashionable side - yeah we probably are in all honesty, but no-one likes coming to Ashton Gate as spectators and opposing players alike know that they could be in for a rough time.

CTID

The other thing that will hold us back, and I've mentioned this before, is that the West Country is massive rugby territory. I have to be honest and say I watch Gloucester Rugby far more than I watch City nowadays. Better value for money, can get as p*ssed as you want and no one cares (!), and you're watching internationals and World Cup winners. You would see far more Gloucester shirts where I'm from than City, or heaven forbid R*vers. Maybe rugby is just still in fashion after the World Cup win, which seems a long, long time ago!

The new stadium will definately help, no doubt about that. Will be a shame to leave The Gate, because as you say, we're reading more and more that people down like coming here as the atmosphere is getting better all the time. Big up to the East End boys and girls on that one!

What gives teams like Derby an advantage over us is being in one club towns so their fan base is not diluted. Look at Norwich's gates as an example. To that extent it is hard for us to match them.

I take your point about Derby, which has a population of about 250k I think, although no idea where Ipswich gets all its fans from.

Leicester and Leeds below us also prosper from the one club status.

Derby fans are to be admired for backing their team consistently through bad times - I very much doubt if the 'best fans in the world' at Newcastle would do likewise.

We have a huge catchment area, with very little competition, and fans of a certain vintage will know that when we were in the top flight, the official gates were always undercooked apart from the bigger games when City couldn't lie about a 38k full house.

Ignoring last season when we took 40k to Wembley, we came close to that against Stoke in the Micky Mouse trophy back in 2000 and of course took well over that to a Cardiff final - the potential is massive.

If we got in the Prem and stayed there a la Bolton year in year out, we'd average well over 30k i'm sure.

If we stay a top 8 side in the CCC for a few years, then I reckon we'll continue to average 16+k - when you consider that over half the EE is out of bounds, and most away teams won't fill up their bit,there's not a lot more could get in anyway.

I am not so sure on the fanbase potential in Bristol and surrounding areas. The only reason we took 40K to Wembley, Cardiff etc was mainly becasue of the 'day out' factor. Many regular fans, even people on here, took their families etc that would usually not attend as they are not really football fans.

As for 30k in a new stadium IF City are in the Premier League, I would imagine the attendance would be more like 20k for most games and with sell outs only for the big four visits. ( Novelty will wear off quickly, City games on Sky more often, and ticket price hikes to pay for the crazy wages needed )

Bristol is just not a footballing city as someone has already mentioned.

Bristol is just not a footballing city as someone has already mentioned.

Too many incomers in Bristol who support other teams. :innocent06:

Nevertheless we got more than 20,000 regularly last time we were in the top League and over 30,000 a number of times. I remember watching City v Liverpool from the East End when there were over 40,000 in the ground.

Football in general was far less popular then and we would get at least similar crowds if we went up again.

Many would be neutrals, and no doubt there would be opposition 'supporters' in all areas of the ground, but City would average at least 25,000 in a new stadium in the Premier League.

Too many incomers in Bristol who support other teams. :innocent06:

And too many locals who support Premier League teams - guy at work who was born in Bristol and lived here all his life supports Chelsea. WTF?!

Have seen lots of Arsenal, Man U shirts on dress down days but never a city shirt. It'll take getting to the Premier League to get a lot of Bristol-born footy fans actually following City...

It depends on how you want to look at our club as a whole.

IMO I'd say that what you posted may of had some relevance this time last year.

I'm not saying we're bigger than Derby, but we match over half the teams in the CCC, with more cash in the balance too. I also think we're about 12th/13th in the average attendance stats so that says something, but our ground is limited for space obviously.

On the pitch, we are capable of beating any team in this league!

CTID

Derby have a much richer history than us. 2 League titles, into the European Cup when they got far and longer in the top flight than us.

We haven't even won a Carling Cup!

As for the OP, we are seen as unfashionable, why just earlier today on another forum, fans from other clubs seemed to think that if we go up this year we will get absolutely hammered in the EPL next year.

And too many locals who support Premier League teams - guy at work who was born in Bristol and lived here all his life supports Chelsea. WTF?!

Have seen lots of Arsenal, Man U shirts on dress down days but never a city shirt. It'll take getting to the Premier League to get a lot of Bristol-born footy fans actually following City...

Be sure to remind him he isnt a supporter, but merely a fan.

Know what you mean, I know 2 Man United fans from Bristol, 2 Liverpool fans, at least one Arsenal fan, a Chelsea fan...In all fairness, the Arsenal fan has been to see them when he can. But god, glory fans!

It depends on how you want to look at our club as a whole.

IMO I'd say that what you posted may of had some relevance this time last year.

I'm not saying we're bigger than Derby, but we match over half the teams in the CCC, with more cash in the balance too. I also think we're about 12th/13th in the average attendance stats so that says something, but our ground is limited for space obviously.

On the pitch, we are capable of beating any team in this league!

Won't disagree with you on that Scrumpy!

If we're unfashionable what the hell does that make bristol rovers (apart from a laughing stock)?

An unfashionable laughing stock with a club song despised and ridiculed the length and breadth of Great Britain ( in fact the whole World).

........ a camp pirate for a badge.

..........and they're crap. :yes:

Things don't look too good for the gas. :D:city:

Archived