IGNORED

Mom

bs3

I thought he was MOM yesterday. I just watched the highlights on ITV and I saw him miss place a pass and Southamton was able to start an attack, the Southampto player had the ball and was going towards our goal LJ was making a token effort to get back and tackle him but then Skuse went passed LJ and tackled the Saints player after he gave the ball away in the first place. Top marks to Skuse and LJ should take leaf out of his book about when you give the ball away fight like hell to get it back. LJ take note!

:city: I,ve said in other posts during the season. Don,t follow the ball and spend five minutes watching Cole and see how much closing down of players he does of the ball. He has the knack of reading play as well as more often than not passing two teammates to make a decisive tackle. Cole has the potential to become an Ashton Gate legend if he remains fit and confident.

:city:

NO GAS ERE :gasmask::nono:

I was really surprised by maynard getting it, did he even have a shot. I wouldnt have put him in the top 5 even. No one played badly but i think Fonts, Carey, Del and Skuse all played very very well

Whislt I agree that Maynard wasn't the best he did come close first half with a shot that went oast the post and then he was 1 on 1 against a defender 2nd half but put it over the bar. Worked hard but not sure why he got MOM.

Personally didn't think Skuse was as good as he has been (especially at Norwich for that first 30 minutes) but still looks worthy of his place in the team.

I thought he was MOM yesterday. I just watched the highlights on ITV and I saw him miss place a pass and Southamton was able to start an attack, the Southampto player had the ball and was going towards our goal LJ was making a token effort to get back and tackle him but then Skuse went passed LJ and tackled the Saints player after he gave the ball away in the first place. Top marks to Skuse and LJ should take leaf out of his book about when you give the ball away fight like hell to get it back. LJ take note!

Interesting thought processes you have, Skuse gives the ball away, Soton hit the post from the resultant attack and you manage to slag off LJ. Congratulations.

I think Skuse has been superb recently, however the one thing that he needs to improve on is the amount of times he gives the ball away. He must have done it four or five times yesterday and the same number of times in the Barnsley game. They were all just down to a lack of concentration rather than a creative pass that didn't come off. We definitely look a stronger midfield with him in it though and he links up really well with LJ and Williams.

Fontaine was my MOM yesterday though. Won everything in the air and was calm and composed on the ball.

I think Skuse has been superb recently, however the one thing that he needs to improve on is the amount of times he gives the ball away. He must have done it four or five times yesterday and the same number of times in the Barnsley game. They were all just down to a lack of concentration rather than a creative pass that didn't come off. We definitely look a stronger midfield with him in it though and he links up really well with LJ and Williams.

Fontaine was my MOM yesterday though. Won everything in the air and was calm and composed on the ball.

Fontaine mom and for me player of season so far, looks solid in there with Carey and doesn't just hoof it but stays calm and plays the ball out

Interesting thought processes you have, Skuse gives the ball away, Soton hit the post from the resultant attack and you manage to slag off LJ. Congratulations.

Not really. When he gave the ball away he tries to win it back, when LJ gives the ball away he just trotts back, I was comparing the two midfield players.

Skuse was a mixed bag yesterday. Did some things well while gave the ball away a couple of times or under-weighted his pass on a couple of occasions which relinquished possession.

Agree was surprised to hear Maynard named man of match. He certainly does alot of hard work closing down up front but he looked to be struggling fitness wise for the last 20 minutes.

Fontaine - who has been superb in recent weeks, quietly going about his business (as has Carey to be fair) would probably get my nod. Johnson had a good game and is due credit while Orr, Mcindoe and Mccalister - who I have been critical of recently, put in solid shifts.

Not many negatives I felt, although Basso continues to have me holding my breath every time a cross comes in.

McAllister was dodgy.

He got sucked in to the ball when they hit the post the first time, schoolboy error.

I thought he was sweeping around to cover his centre backs,as all good full backs do.As Mcgoldrick(don't think I spelt that correctly!?) was the main threat at that point.Which is why he then had to go square.

I thought he was sweeping around to cover his centre backs,as all good full backs do.As Mcgoldrick(don't think I spelt that correctly!?) was the main threat at that point.Which is why he then had to go square.

Yep, that's what all football coaches would teach full backs to do.

McAllister was dodgy.

He got sucked in to the ball when they hit the post the first time, schoolboy error.

Actually that was Carey's fault. Carey missed the tackle near the halfway line and was out of position, McCallister had to come inside to cover for Carey thus exposing the left back position. Apart from that, Carey was a man mountain once again.

I've watched it again today, who gave the ball away isnt really the point, unless you are saying that because Skuse gave the ball away it's his job, and only his, to get it back again.

Here is the point, as already explained by bs3.

City gave the ball away, Johnson was nearest the Southampton player with the ball, his feeble effort to tackle was shrugged off.

Skuse, who started off almost 10 yards further back, legged it past LJ, chased the Southampton player, and when the Soton player released it, Skuse carried on tracking back almost to our goaline to cover in case Basso was beaten. LJ meanwhile ended up, having started 10 yards in front, 20 yards behind.

Get one thing straight, I thought LJ had a decent game yesterday, but that lack of effort and commitment from LJ, noted in several comparable incidents before this season, really frustrates me and many others.

Back to the original point - Skuse had a reasonable game yesterday, not his best over the past few games, but I've said it before, he has the lot in terms of midfield play, he will be a City legend in 10 years time if he overcomes his willingness to be overshadowed by other players.

Why do you choose to highlight an instance merely to use it as fodder to slate Johnson, as opposed to praising Skuse?

Johnson had a good game yesterday, barely put a foot wrong, tracked back frequently and, contrary to the frequent forum claptrap, is clearly not afraid to make a tackle.

Why not take issue with the occasions that Skuse gave the ball away, or perhaps the multiple times Williams lost possession, once which was entirely unnecessary and put us in great danger?

Not many negatives yesterday, and Johnson was a positive.

Why do you choose to highlight an instance merely to use it as fodder to slate Johnson, as opposed to praising Skuse?

Johnson had a good game yesterday, barely put a foot wrong, tracked back frequently and, contrary to the frequent forum claptrap, is clearly not afraid to make a tackle.

Why not take issue with the occasions that Skuse gave the ball away, or perhaps the multiple times Williams lost possession, once which was entirely unnecessary and put us in great danger?

Not many negatives yesterday, and Johnson was a positive.

If youre talking to me, heres your answer.

The original post was mainly about Skuse having a good game.

I responded to both the point about about Skuse and the point about LJ.

The reply which I responded to was in relation to LJ's lack of tackling and tracking back. Sorry, but it's still an issue.

Skuse and Williams giving the ball away - if indeed that was a major issue, which I for one certainly didnt notice being the case over and above any other player - wasnt being being discussed, hence there was nothing to talk about in that regard.

I already said LJ had a decent game, so why you choose to ignore that only you know.

But if you think LJ tracks back and tackles, I would love to have played football against you.

If youre talking to me, heres your answer.

The original post was mainly about Skuse having a good game.

I responded to both the point about about Skuse and the point about LJ.

The reply which I responded to was in relation to LJ's lack of tackling and tracking back. Sorry, but it's still an issue.

Skuse and Williams giving the ball away - if indeed that was a major issue, which I for one certainly didnt notice being the case over and above any other player - wasnt being being discussed, hence there was nothing to talk about in that regard.

I already said LJ had a decent game, so why you choose to ignore that only you know.

But if you think LJ tracks back and tackles, I would love to have played football against you.

FFS. No other player tracks back more than Lee Johnson. Take the anti-Johnson glasses off and try to watch the game next time.

And if you failed to notice Skuse, and in particular Williams, either losing possession or giving the ball away then I see little point in analysing games with you.

I did notice the 'high praise' you gave him in amongst your absolutely unnecessary Johnson bashing post. He was much better than 'decent' yesterday, he barely put a foot wrong infact on tracked back off the ball on more than one occasion.

Some people just seem to notice sliding tackles more than they do all round solid contributions unfortunately.

FFS. No other player tracks back more than Lee Johnson. Take the anti-Johnson glasses off and try to watch the game next time.

I agree 100% with that statement!

LJ is ALWAYS available to receive the ball from one of our players....how could that be if he never tracked back. I would guarantee that LJ covers more ground during a game than any other player on the pitch.

I really wish that some people on this forum could just understand that LJ is not on the pitch to be a tackling midfielder, he is there to be a link-up player...a job he does very well.

I agree 100% with that statement!

LJ is ALWAYS available to receive the ball from one of our players....how could that be if he never tracked back. I would guarantee that LJ covers more ground during a game than any other player on the pitch.

I really wish that some people on this forum could just understand that LJ is not on the pitch to be a tackling midfielder, he is there to be a link-up player...a job he does very well.

Indeed.

I was talking to a couple of Norwich fans this week and one said, "Who was the 33? Was that Johnson's lad?"

I said it was, expecting some comment about his height. Instead, they said he was the best player on the park, ran the show and everything went through him.

Even as someone who likes what Lee does, I was surprised to hear his contribution was so appreciated by opposition fans.

Sometimes, speaking to the fans of the other team, who have no preconceived ideas about players, gives you a new perspective.

Sometimes, speaking to the fans of the other team, who have no preconceived ideas about players, gives you a new perspective.

Similarly I have a No of mates who are not die hard City fans but go a few times a season. Johnson jnr is usually the player they pick out as most impressive. I do wonfer if its partially "familiarity breeds contempt" but who knows.

It also makes me chuckle how we get into hyper bole about individual players.... it wasn't that long ago that many said if we sold Marvin Elliott we'd be looking at a relegation battle........

NickJ,

I have to say i am very surprised by your analysis. If you cannot remember Williams trying to do a bit of skill right next to our 18 yard box and turning straight in to trouble then I'm not sure really what game you were watching. don't get me wrong, i believe Williams had a good game, his ability to beat players and move forward with the ball was impressive at times, and he is skillfull. However he does on occasions, or at least did on saturday, overdo it abit and was caught out on occasions because of this. Now I'm not one to moan about it, and i wouldnt because over all he had a good game and I'm quite prepared to accept players make mistakes in games, they all do. However what i am not prepared to accept is people refusing to see these mistakes IF they are going to contantsly and pointlessly pick up on other players mistakes, namely Lee Johnsons.

Again it is a case of ONLY seeing and pointing out mistakes that LJ has made? Why do people do this, why do many people only remember HIS mistakes? There was a number of players across the whole team who made individual errors throughout the game, why have you missed everyone elses and but NOT LJ's, does this not strike you as a little odd?

For me the most memerable losses of possesion came from Williams trying a bit too much, and in all fairness they were in dangerous positions, had Southamtpon been a bit more deadly in attack, his turn into trouble and loss of the ball on the edge of the box could have and would have been disasterous aganst a better side, such as Basso's poor kick out against Wolves was.

LJ for me tracked back as much as Skuse, but also became available for the ball on more occasions then Skuse, there are area's and parts of the field where Skuse is more likely to track back to win possesion leaving LJ as the option to recieve the ball when possesion has been won back, hence why on occasions LJ wont track back into certain area's. There is no point in wiining back possesion if there is knowone available in space to then distribute the ball as part of our own attack, and this is what LJ does on more occasions than skuse. Basically they do have different games and different team uses as an individual, even so i don't think LJ can be accused of NOT tracking back when it is needed or usefull(on the whole) for him to do so.

Archived