IGNORED

Question?

City1996

We do have alot of fans who wish to stand at games this is obvious to see at games were we have all stood it tends to be the games which sell out to season ticket holders only were we tend to struggle. E.G. southampton last year. I don't see why we cant have a majority stood at reading. Those wanting to sit just make the way to the front and the standers towards the back

We do have alot of fans who wish to stand at games this is obvious to see at games were we have all stood it tends to be the games which sell out to season ticket holders only were we tend to struggle. E.G. southampton last year. I don't see why we cant have a majority stood at reading. Those wanting to sit just make the way to the front and the standers towards the back

Agree, however many fans get very funny when you seat in there alocated seat. Unreserved seating would solve the problem and like you said the standers can go to the back and the poeple that wish to sit will go at the front.

Hopefully people will use there common sense at Reading!

:city: As its a sell out for our fans then you should sit in your seats, I know that at Portsmouth family's were separated and a lot of people didn't see much of the game because of people stood in front of them.

I am sure that we can create a great atmosphere sat in the seats that we have been allocated.

:city: As its a sell out for our fans then you should sit in your seats, I know that at Portsmouth family's were separated and a lot of people didn't see much of the game because of people stood in front of them.

I am sure that we can create a great atmosphere sat in the seats that we have been allocated.

Southampton away last year springs to mind reading that.

As much as i appreciate peoples choice to watch the game sat down others who wish to stand should be able to do so and to prevent major problems between the fans it makes perfect sense for those wishing to stand to head to the back so they aren't blocking anyone elses view. The best atmospheres also occur when people are stood not sat. I for one shall be stood but shall be doing so at the back so i don't block anyones view who wishes to stand and i know i will not be in a small minority.

As much as i appreciate peoples choice to watch the game sat down others who wish to stand should be able to do so and to prevent major problems between the fans it makes perfect sense for those wishing to stand to head to the back so they aren't blocking anyone elses view.

Totally agree.

But what do you do about the selfish barstewards at Portsmouth who insisted on standing in the front two rows behind the goal (and when asked to sit down, told fellow supporters to **** off).

A lot of kids and elderly fans missed a fair bit of that game as a result.

I saw one old fellow, virtually in tears, desperately trying to find a position where he could see the game.

As he said at the time " It's not bloody fair!"

Totally agree.

But what do you do about the selfish barstewards at Portsmouth who insisted on standing in the front two rows behind the goal (and when asked to sit down, told fellow supporters to **** off).

I saw one old fellow, virtually in tears, desperately trying to find a position where he could see the game.

the thing about pompey was that the seats seemed to be built for kids. I'm not the slimest of people and neither were the people sat next to me. So to save the embarrassment of practically sitting on there lap it was easier to stand up

the thing about pompey was that the seats seemed to be built for kids. I'm not the slimest of people and neither were the people sat next to me. So to save the embarrassment of practically sitting on there lap it was easier to stand up

Can't say I can remember the seats being any smaller than anywhere else to be honest.

The fact remains that there are certain people who couldn't give a s**t about anyone else and they're going to do exactly what they want.

Any requests to the contrary are invariably met with abuse or threats of violence.

Totally agree.

I was about 8 rows back from behind the goal and their were lots of spare seats where people had left to get to the back.

Just to add something to this...I want to sit down, but I don't want to sit at the front, as I go to football to watch the game, and I get to see the match better from the back. Low down, you get little perspective on the game, and so often can't tell whether the ball is 5 or 25 yards from the goal. So if I'm lucky enough to get a ticket near the back I'm not giving it up if doing so means spoiling my enjoyment of the game by not seeing it properly.

Having said which, I always used to stand at games and understand why people would want to do this. I don't any more, as age catches up with me, and I go with my kids, who have no chance of seeing the game if people stand in front of them.

I'm all for safe standing areas, and strongly believe that terraces are not inherently dangerous in any case - it was years of unintelligent policing that led to Hillsborough in 1989 for instance, resulting in a terrace design that was lethal in the circumstances that arose that day.

But if there is a group who are going to insist on standing and not going to their allotted seats, the considerate way to do it would be to congregate in the top corner of the seating. That way there are still some seats with a decent view for those like me who don't want to give up a good seat, and less chance of the standers blocking the view of those who can't stand, or, even if they do, aren't big enough to see.

But my day out at Reading this Saturday with my kids is costing £100+, and I'm sure there are many like me. So the standers shouldn't be surprised if people get pretty angry if an inconsiderate few spoil the day for others. My eight year old isn't big enough to stand up for himself if he can't see. I am, and he thinks that's my job.

Why on earth clubs still insist on selling it as reserved is beyond me.

Unreserved if fine - unless it's a sell out. If it's unreserved how do the last couple of hundred to arrive find the odd seats left unoccupied. It's impossible to tell in the mass of fans where exactly they are. This then leads to people wandering up and down the aisles, incurring the wrath of the stewards , simply trying to find a seat.

What would help a little (for games expected to sell out) would be if the ticket office would allow peole to choose an area to sit (or in fact stand) in.

ie you could choose a block and then specify front middle or back

not a perfect solution and the last to apply would have to take what's left but that's how it is foe everyone at the moment.

CR

Can anyone explain to me the logic of why there is a need to have "reserved" seating for away fans?? I don't get it, home fans I get....as people sometimes like to sit in the same seat etc, but away fans??

All I feel it does is ruin what could be a good atmosphere.....West Brom and Southampton last year spring to mind. Maybe this is a tactic of home clubs?

anyone know?

EDIT: Ignore this...I see its been explained ;)

I was about 8 rows back from behind the goal and their were lots of spare seats where people had left to get to the back.

I was also about 8 rows back, slightly to the right of the goal, and the only spare seats were left due to people moving away because they couldn't see.

Unreserved if fine - unless it's a sell out. If it's unreserved how do the last couple of hundred to arrive find the odd seats left unoccupied. It's impossible to tell in the mass of fans where exactly they are. This then leads to people wandering up and down the aisles, incurring the wrath of the stewards , simply trying to find a seat.

What would help a little (for games expected to sell out) would be if the ticket office would allow peole to choose an area to sit (or in fact stand) in.

ie you could choose a block and then specify front middle or back

not a perfect solution and the last to apply would have to take what's left but that's how it is foe everyone at the moment.

CR

Perhaps stewards could actually steward by doing things like guiding people into seats such that there aren't individual ones dotted around and showing late arrivers into empty seats?

It would certainly help if the ticket office could be a bit more intelligent about how they sold blocks of reserved seats.

Perhaps stewards could actually steward by doing things like guiding people into seats such that there aren't individual ones dotted around and showing late arrivers into empty seats?

It would certainly help if the ticket office could be a bit more intelligent about how they sold blocks of reserved seats.

Yep everyone else's fault, except of course the planks that caused it in the first place by err........ Not sitting in their seat?

Yep everyone else's fault, except of course the planks that caused it in the first place by err........ Not sitting in their seat?

I blame the planks that insist on reserved seating which seems to me to have no benefit yet stops a large proportion of fans from enjoying the game as they please for no real reason.

soz post above seemed a bit harsh, so i thought id explain... in my view its just as frustrating being sat down at a football match when you want to stand than having someone stood in front of me for for the game. And its the attitude like that that really annoys me and is just as bad as telling someone who wants for sit behind you to **** off. ure basically saying i don't really care about the people who WANT to stand up.... and they are fellow city fans aswell so the standing issues work both ways, its not just people who want to sit that get annoyed

The good old anyone that wants to stand at football is scum.

Nowhere does it say that people who want to sit down are being inconsiderate does it. Why do people who want to sit down think they have more right? (Because its seats and its naughty blah blah blah) Ok its seated, but for one i don't like watching football sat down, i actually do not like doing it. I don't find it enjoyable, i don't find it a laugh.

Now if people want to sit down and watch the game how they enjoy it then its fine, but when other people want to stand up and watch the game, shouldnt they be allowed to too? Or is that too much trouble in this country for things to actually have a bit of common sense.

Its about time the authorities actually listened to what fans want instead of coming out with usual rubbish about hillsbrough, or crowd controls, or the blatant lies that since all seater stadium more woman and children have come to football, which the FLA have needed to take down as they have no proof of it.

Or are we just going to have the same debates, the same agurements, games like southampton away last season.

People don't stand at football to annoy people, people stand at football as that is how THEY like to watch it, how they like to enjoy it.

People don't sit at football to annoy people, people sit at football as that is how THEY like to watch it, how they like it enjoy it.

Do you notice a difference there?

If everyone got campaigning for safe standing blocks etc, then none of this would be a problem, but noonne can be bothered can they, they would just rather have a nice little moans at away games when someone wants to stand, or at home games when someone wants to stand.

Its as much as a person who likes to sit down problems and the people who want to stand up.

Write to your MP, or write to the FLA, the FA etc. But then i doubt any of you will, its much easier to tap someone on the shoulder at the game and tell them to sit down, or to have a nice little moan on here.

............ its much easier to tap someone on the shoulder at the game and tell them to sit down, or to have a nice little moan on here.

I don't have a problem with anyone standing, or sitting for that matter - but given that safe standing won't be introduced anytime soon, and certainlt not by this Saturday may I ask you:

You're at Reading this Saturday - stood up naturally because that is how you like to watch football - but there's a family behind you with 2 kids who can't see even if they stand up because you're taller etc - Dad taps you on the shoulder and asks you to sit down;

Do you (A) appologise and go and find somewhere else to stand where you won't block the view of similar families - or even just sit down!

or (B) turn round and tell him to eff off.

just curious!

CR

I don't have a problem with anyone standing, or sitting for that matter - but given that safe standing won't be introduced anytime soon, and certainlt not by this Saturday may I ask you:

You're at Reading this Saturday - stood up naturally because that is how you like to watch football - but there's a family behind you with 2 kids who can't see even if they stand up because you're taller etc - Dad taps you on the shoulder and asks you to sit down;

Do you (A) appologise and go and find somewhere else to stand where you won't block the view of similar families - or even just sit down!

or (B) turn round and tell him to eff off.

just curious!

CR

Happened at Plymouth last season, turned round said sorry and sat down. (Stood up for too long after we were on the attack) Father then tapped me on the shoulder again and said thank you. Not everyone who wants to stand up are mindless people who tell people to eff off, thats just downright rude and offensive. For some reason that is what everyone seems to think that people who want to stand are.

I don't have a problem with sitting down, i just don't enjoy football in that manner and would rather stand. I don't see why they can say "Last ten rows of the stand is for standing" I know people say "I like to sit at the back for the view" but surely its about compromise instead of causing arguments etc.

Also your right, it wont happen soon because people who like to sit down wont do anything about it. They don't see it as "their" problem, when it is as much as people who want to stand.

Happened at Plymouth last season, turned round said sorry and sat down. (Stood up for too long after we were on the attack) Father then tapped me on the shoulder again and said thank you. Not everyone who wants to stand up are mindless people who tell people to eff off, thats just downright rude and offensive. For some reason that is what everyone seems to think that people who want to stand are.

I don't have a problem with sitting down, i just don't enjoy football in that manner and would rather stand. I don't see why they can say "Last ten rows of the stand is for standing" I know people say "I like to sit at the back for the view" but surely its about compromise instead of causing arguments etc.

Also your right, it wont happen soon because people who like to sit down wont do anything about it. They don't see it as "their" problem, when it is as much as people who want to stand.

I think the common thread here is everyone should have a right to stand up or sit down, i for one prefer to stand up but i like to think i show a bit of consideration for others around me that don't, if i cant stand up i wont

No matter what is said there are people who will be stoof at Reading wether people in this board or anywere else like it. The majority will choose to go to the back because they are considerate and don't wish to block peoples views of the game. However if you want to sit at the back then you are more than likely to have your view blocked by somebody standing.

Archived