IGNORED

Routes Across To Doncaster

t_b

I'm working until 4pm in Crewe. I figure it's do-able to get to Donnie in time for 7pm easily, right?

Problem being the Peak District just sits in the middle annoying me.

Multimap/Google both suggest going M6 - M60 etc up above them and then coming down. Around 110m and 2.15hrs.

Alternatively... through the Peak District via A628 and that's around 80m and again 2.15-30hrs.

Thirdly? South via Ashbourne/Derby and that's around 100m and 2.15-30hrs.

What would seem the wisest route considering traffic? Has anyone got much experience of the roads around here/the PD across that kinda time?

I would suggest that there are 2 main routes to take in. I live just north of Crewe when I went to Sheffield this season we went across the pennines through congelton, buxton, bakewell and upto Sheffield that way, although it does take a long time for the distance your travelling. We did it in about 2 hrs although it was a grim day weatherwise.

I went to Rotherham back in 2006 and did the motorway route, M6, A556, M56, M60, M67, A628, M1, that took about 1hr 30 and thats just a little shy of Doncaster.

I would recommend doing the motorway route, maybe further to travel but you do get in done quicker, unless you hit traffic that is!!

Hope this is of some use

I happened to follow the Donny coaches from Gresty Road two seasons ago after an evening game and they went A500 - A50 - M1 (must have as deffo went on the A500 'Stoke D Road'.

If I'm not in a hurry I go Buxton - Sheffield through to M58. On way back I always go M1 A50 (you can also cut through on the A38 from the M1 to the A50 cutting off a sizeable part of a triangle and late in the evening it's worth doing, but not during the day as you are going through Derby).

NB If you do go Congleton - Buxton - Sheffield be aware the stretch from about 4 miles after Congleton (after big crossroads) in to Buxton is the third most dangerous road in the country. It will be getting dark by the time you get to the bad bits but there be sheer drops of hundreds of feet on the sides of the roads in many places. First time I did it I was late for a evening game at Barnsley I think it was and bombed it in icy conditions. When I went again in daylight a while later I realised how lucky I was to stay on tarmac!

It's possible by train;

Depart Arrive Travel by Service provider Duration (hh:mm)

16:12Crewe 16:36Stockport Train Virgin Trains 00:24

16:54Stockport 17:37Sheffield Train East Midlands Trains 00:43

17:57Sheffield 18:38Doncaster Train Northern Rail 00:41

Getting home is the problem;

Depart Arrive Travel by Service provider Duration (hh:mm)

23:22Doncaster 00:04Sheffield Train Northern Rail 00:42

03:45Sheffield 04:40Manchester Piccadilly Train Transpennine Express 00:55

05:05Manchester Piccadilly 05:34Crewe Train Virgin Trains 00:29

I would suggest that there are 2 main routes to take in. I live just north of Crewe when I went to Sheffield this season we went across the pennines through congelton, buxton, bakewell and upto Sheffield that way, although it does take a long time for the distance your travelling. We did it in about 2 hrs although it was a grim day weatherwise.

I went to Rotherham back in 2006 and did the motorway route, M6, A556, M56, M60, M67, A628, M1, that took about 1hr 30 and thats just a little shy of Doncaster.

I would recommend doing the motorway route, maybe further to travel but you do get in done quicker, unless you hit traffic that is!!

Hope this is of some use

This is the route we're doing, my Sat Nav reckons just shy of 2 hours from Chester to the Keepmoat.

Archived