IGNORED

Just Seen The Goal...

dezgimed

Just a poor header out from Louis, tried to play it to someone in midfield (didnt see who) rather than just clearing his lines and got caught out by Donny player who won the ball.

Easily avoidable, sounds like we had our chances (McIndoe, Williams) and Dowie said Pen/disallowed goal was harsh.

Never mind, move on.

Massively disapointing not take something from this one with Reading,Brum and Derby away coming up next.

A draw would of been a great result tonight just to keep the run going and confidence high.

I doubt that tonights defeat will lower confidence in the squad. It was always going to be a tight game with the two teams being the form sides and it was just not City's night. I expect that the Saints fans were saying pretty much the same thing on thier way back on Saturday. Luck does tend to even out over a season and tonight City didn't have much with important factors going the other way. It some previous games the luck has been with City - Southampton hitting the post twice and not scoring for example.

Reading are not flying as they were when they played City off the park at AG last year, and a result at the Mad Stad is still realistic. One defeat in 9 is not the end of the world.

So far, so good with the OTIB response- This 'always believe' business is really kicking in, 'aint it?

I'm sure Gary will be full of praise for the previous performances, but tell them he expects a return to form on the weekend!

Maybe we were getting abit complacent like the end of last season thinking we could beat anyone without working hard and playing well.

Hopefully this will help the lads bounce back bigger, stonger, and even more hungrier for promotion.

Always Believe! :englandsmile4wf:

did paul heffernan celebrate?

Too right he did & I don't blame him either. We bought him, hardly used him & flogged him the following summer.

Last night summed up for me how close this league is. I many games recently it could've gone either way, but it went our way. Last night we didn't get much luck, but for a bit of sloppy play in the 1st 5 mins we'd have come away with a point.

Getting rid of Heffernan was probably the biggest of Tinnion's many screw-ups whilst in charge of City. I thought it was a daft move at the time and it looks even stupider now.
:englandsmile4wf: Blame tinman all you like,but at the time he nor anyone else knew that Lita would be gone shortly after.Sounds like a comment from a very bitter supporter who doesn't know how to comment properly :englandsmile4wf:

:englandsmile4wf: Blame tinman all you like,but at the time he nor anyone else knew that Lita would be gone shortly after.Sounds like a comment from a very bitter supporter who doesn't know how to comment properly :englandsmile4wf:

That's a remarkable accusation to make. For what it's worth I thought at the time that it was a very odd decision to make since it was clear that Leroy would be leaving, and I think I was right.

As for bitter? Not really because if Tinnion hadn't lost Heffernan and been forced to bring in Stewart and Bridges he might not have been sacked when he was and we might never have got Gary Johnson.

That's a remarkable accusation to make. For what it's worth I thought at the time that it was a very odd decision to make since it was clear that Leroy would be leaving, and I think I was right.

As for bitter? Not really because if Tinnion hadn't lost Heffernan and been forced to bring in Stewart and Bridges he might not have been sacked when he was and we might never have got Gary Johnson.

I agree with you, Tinnion should have had some contingency plan. What was so wrong with having Brooks, Lita and Heff on the books I'll never know.

Very naieve from him.

Heff always did a job when called upon, decent player back then and looks the same now.

I agree with you, Tinnion should have had some contingency plan. What was so wrong with having Brooks, Lita and Heff on the books I'll never know.

Very naieve from him.

Heff always did a job when called upon, decent player back then and looks the same now.

The absolute coup de grace was that we got rid of 2 good young strikers & replaced them with............ Marcus Stewart & Michael Bridges :noexpression:

Very naieve from him.

Heffernan asked to leave because he didn't want to play second fiddle to Lita and Brooker, which he'd had to do for the vast majority of the previous season.

Heffernan asked to leave because he didn't want to play second fiddle to Lita and Brooker, which he'd had to do for the vast majority of the previous season.

& in truth, had he stayed he'd have probably played 2nd fiddle to a combo of Bridges, Stewart & Brooker. At least until such point that everyone cottoned on to the fact the the 1st 2 were rubbish!

Agreed, but whilst I appreciate it would be a tricky situation to manage at the time, I think it was pretty clear that Lita was going to go that Summer which would have made Heffernan first choice to partner Brooker.

I don't know exactly how one would reassure Heffernan without openly stating that Lita was going to be sold, but I can't help feeling that a more experienced manager would have found a way.

Agreed, but whilst I appreciate it would be a tricky situation to manage at the time, I think it was pretty clear that Lita was going to go that Summer which would have made Heffernan first choice to partner Brooker.

I don't know exactly how one would reassure Heffernan without openly stating that Lita was going to be sold, but I can't help feeling that a more experienced manager would have found a way.

He didn't know Lita would be sold, because the player had assured him he was staying.

He didn't know Lita would be sold, because the player had assured him he was staying.

Well I thought it looked like Lita would definitely be off, regardless of what he may have said.

Maybe I'm being unduly harsh and judging without being in possession of all the facts. It was undoubtedly a difficult situation to manage, I just get the feeling that a manager like Gary Johnson would have handled it in such a way that he didn't lose two decent strikers when he only needed to lose one.

Well I thought it looked like Lita would definitely be off, regardless of what he may have said.

Maybe I'm being unduly harsh and judging without being in possession of all the facts. It was undoubtedly a difficult situation to manage, I just get the feeling that a manager like Gary Johnson would have handled it in such a way that he didn't lose two decent strikers when he only needed to lose one.

Well, he let Carle go before a replacement was secured, so it's hard to say.

It's easy to look in from the outside and say "I'd have kept him and got rid of him.", but it is very rarely as clear cut as that and there are a million things going on behind the scenes that can change a manager's plans in an instant.

That said, there is absolutely no doubt that Gary Johnson is a supreme man manager, and one that many people could learn from in that regard.

There must have been a breakdown in communication between Tinnion and Lansdown then.

''I'm selling Heffernan because Lita is staying''

Sells.

''I'm selling Lita''.

Keep one or the other, simple.

I don't think it was quite as straightforward as that.

Heffernan asked to leave because he wasn't getting enough games, thanks to Lita and Brooker's form. Reading made a bid for Lita which was turned down, and the player said he wasn't interested anyway. Reading then made a new bid with all the cash up front (very unusual these days), which was accepted and Lita suddenly said he did want to go.

Stewart was then brought in...

Archived