IGNORED

Lessons From Last Years Run In

Gerry Gows perm

I don't think there are too many comparisons between this season and last. Last season we were up there all season living with the pressure of being up there and that pressure, in my opinion, was the reason why we crumbled.

This season we have not been up there at all and have had only to live with the pressure of increased expectancy and 'after the Lord Mayor's show' syndrome. Therefore we go into the latter stages of the season with little to lose but everything to gain and no real pressure (currently) to achieve automatic promotion. This, in my mind, will stand us in good stead as we now have a belief filled, confident team that can go to places like Reading and Birmingham and pull off results free of the pressure that those teams are feeling. Winning there will only inspire us further and could be the catalyst to automatic promotion BUT only so long as the team learn from last season and if/when we find ourselves in an automatic spot then they will have to stay strong and use the experience of last season and not go to pieces at the crucial moment. I for one think they can do it.

I don't think GJ goes into any game trying to get a draw. Sometimes hoping for a draw against the bigger sides perhaps, but he always preaches victory to the players.

In some ways we have to adopt this approach this year as we are still in the chasing pack whereas last year we were trying to protect what we already had.

Interesting take on last season.

Psychologically there is a significant difference between playing to catch up and playing to hold on to what you have. It might be a sub-concious process and the the physics of the game are the same but the mindset is completely different.

City know that they have to win as many games as possible to stay in contention and the performace at Reading highlighted that perfectly.The team will go into Saturdays game full of positivity and confidence being fully aware that another three points will keep them in the top six. No further motivation required.

Interesting take on last season.

Psychologically there is a significant difference between playing to catch up and playing to hold on to what you have. It might be a sub-concious process and the the physics of the game are the same but the mindset is completely different.

City know that they have to win as many games as possible to stay in contention and the performace at Reading highlighted that perfectly.The team will go into Saturdays game full of positivity and confidence being fully aware that another three points will keep them in the top six. No further motivation required.

I know that the players are actually still talking about making the top two rather than just settling on a play-off place.

They'll know that winning 9 out of their 12 remaining games will give them a chance to go up automatically and so, in that sense, they're very much still 'chasing' rather than holding on to their current position.

It'll be a tough task but we can do it.

I know that the players are actually still talking about making the top two rather than just settling on a play-off place.

They'll know that winning 9 out of their 12 remaining games will give them a chance to go up automatically and so, in that sense, they're very much still 'chasing' rather than holding on to their current position.

It'll be a tough task but we can do it.

This is great to hear, and the fact that we have to play mainly top-half teams needn't necessarily be a bad thing as it should provide a real motivation. The Reading game should give them confidence that they can beat the best in the division, whilst playing better teams should reduce the chance of complacency creeping in.

Having said that, it still strikes me as a massive ask. 9 wins out of the 12 remaining games added to the 8 wins in the last 10 amounts to 17 out of 22 in the second half of the season, which is phenomenal form by anyone's standards.

I think the tactics need to be adjusted by what the other teams do. If they continue to drop points then we should continue to try and pick up a win and some draws. If the other teams keep winning then maybe we need to try this do or die tactic as then it'll be nessisary

One huge factor in our favour, experience.

How many of the teams in the running have the vital experience of playoff games in recent years, or indeed have played at Wembley? We know exactly what to expect and the fact that we haven't had recent experience in the Prem could actually help us, ie Reading etc know just how much there is to lose if they fail, we can only imagine.

Not getting ahead of myself as anything could happen yet and probably will, but if we do get a playoff place I don't think many would like to play us, and we have to use this to our advantage.

And probably the reason why Wolves, Birmingham and Reading are having a wobble now.

If we can keep the run going, the others may just do the job for us.

It's certainly the reason why Wolves are wobbling, but with Brum and Reading i think they are struggling with being in this league after being Premier League sides last season and that they just can't find the drive or excitement to keep going despite the prospect of getting back to the Premier League. I think if you look at Birmingham City's crowds this season it tells you what their fans think of this league. The two things combined make all three sides catchable i think.

As far as I am concerned it was only one game that cost us auto promotion last season and that was away at Stoke - We knew it was a big game coming for a long time but just didnt perform on the day

This time around though I have renewed confidence (Belief?) because of the way we approached and played the Reading game on Saturday - it shows that we have learnt from the expariences of last season and seem more determined to make the big games count

If we had approached the Stoke game in same way last season then we would be in the prem now

One huge factor in our favour, experience.

How many of the teams in the running have the vital experience of playoff games in recent years, or indeed have played at Wembley? We know exactly what to expect and the fact that we haven't had recent experience in the Prem could actually help us, ie Reading etc know just how much there is to lose if they fail, we can only imagine.

Experience of failing to reach an automatic place after being well placed last season. That will help. As mentioned in an earlier reply on this thread the mindset is very different now to this time last season. City are chasing just as Hull were last season.

Your point about not having experience of the Prem is also a good one. The 'big' three above us have all been in the PL recently and expectation amongst fans, the press and the pundits is that they are favourites to fight it out amongst themselves. Thats added pressure that they could do without.

how do you come to that conclusion?

Cos its true - we drew withWolves, Watford and Charlton from March onwards and also lost to Stoke and Sheff Utd in that period. I'm not saying GJ went out for a draw but he certainly settled for one towards the end of games and i recall him saying on more than one occassion that a draw against teams around us was a positive result. I agree with other posters that our attitude is different this season given both our recent form and the fact that we have a lot of catching up to do, and that may pay dividends - Sunderland and Hull (and Palace for play offs) have all come good in recent seasons with winning runs over the period that really matters, so why cant we do the same!

Archived