IGNORED

Stern John

NifflerNomad

I support any player that wears the red shirt but am disappointed that a player whos playing for us on loan (presumably whos looking for a contract at the end of the season from us) walks off after the game without acknowledging the people who pay his wages! Thats why having players on loan doesnt always work. No love for the shirt they are wearing!

He did exactly the same on Wednesday at Brum, but with the added insult of going over to the Brum fans and giving them plenty of hand clapping, then straight down the tunnel.

Exactly and thats what Trunds had to put up with.

rubbish. Trundle was never a player who relied on "service" - at swansea, used to create goals for himself. something he cannot do at this level

Also, how did byfield get the same amount as goals as trundle, with a fraction of playing time - with the "poor service"

He played reasonably well today I thought. Won a lot of headers, flick ons and spead the play well. The crossing he had was appalling- no striker would have got to 99% of the crosses today from Orr and McCallister. Do you ever wonder why most of our strikers struggle to get over 10 goals? Because service is crap. Only Maynard was guilty of missing easy chances today.

Sounds like Nicky missed another 1 on 1 today, was it as bad as at Sheff Wed ?

i was there, and i thought he did well today.

My only criticism is that he doesnt look like scoring and as a striker obviously thats what he needs to start doing.

However, apart from Dele, which strikers are scoring?

Stern was great in the air, build up play was generally good.

He isnt helped when he does 4 good passes and then does one bad and everyone stands up and goes "Useless John".

Lets get behind him, although he should acknowledge the fans

He did exactly the same on Wednesday at Brum, but with the added insult of going over to the Brum fans and giving them plenty of hand clapping, then straight down the tunnel.

I've got to admit I've been at all the games mentioned on this thread and hadn't actually noticed SJ has walked straight off the pitch at the end. If that is the case, he certainly isn't helping himself to be accepted by the fans.

I think he gets a rough deal from the fans in some respects though, in a similar way to LJ, when ALL mistakes are picked up on, but positives are often ignored. I think SJ came closest to scoring in both the Blackpool and Brum games and today he was playing some good lay-offs and winning a fair number of headers and knock ons as well, so I feel he justified his place on the pitch. What I can't for the life of me understand is how he scored so many in a struggling Saints side last year and wonder if this is an indication of the underlying problem at City ......... it seems to be a strikers graveyard! If we can solve that problem, we'll be well away.

In the meantime, he's wearing a City shirt, so let's hope things can be patched up between him and the fans. A goal or two from him would help, but an acknowledgement from him of the efforts the fans have made to travel and support the club wouldn't go amiss either.

I support any player that wears the red shirt but am disappointed that a player whos playing for us on loan (presumably whos looking for a contract at the end of the season from us) walks off after the game without acknowledging the people who pay his wages! Thats why having players on loan doesnt always work. No love for the shirt they are wearing!

I doubt he loves the fact that he has got booed onto the pitch at least twice. He could have had three assists in twenty minutes but, of course, we all need a scapegoat.

Perhaps the question you should all be asking GJ is when are you going to bring a reasonably prolific goalscoring forward to the club? Who do you think acquires and picks Stern John and anybody else you think is absolute pony? They don't pick themselves, thats for sure. What you are basically saying, perhaps without realising it in some cases, is that GJ doesn't have a clue what he is doing by getting hold of and then picking such a useless player who lacks so much effort - perhaps you could be right!!!! Out of Adebola, Trundle, Byfield, Smith, Savage, Maynard, Akinde, John and Styvar how many roaring successes have we had up front? How many have hit the ground running from the off and made a big impact without needing six months to acclimatise? Who has given us a decent return on the investment/wages so far? Adebola at a push? Perhaps we have found GJ's weakness.

No love for the shirt they are wearing? What is that all about? They are professional footballers who all go to work for MONEY the same as you and I. Love for the shirt is just a load of b0ll0ck$. There are numerous examples of successful loan players just the same as there are bad examples. It is no different to transfers. I couldn't care if a player stuck his middle finger up at me if the boy had just done the business on the pitch and earned our club another three points!!!

Perhaps the question you should all be asking GJ is when are you going to bring a reasonably prolific goalscoring forward to the club? Who do you think acquires and picks Stern John and anybody else you think is absolute pony? They don't pick themselves, thats for sure. What you are basically saying, perhaps without realising it in some cases, is that GJ doesn't have a clue what he is doing by getting hold of and then picking such a useless player who lacks so much effort - perhaps you could be right!!!! Out of Adebola, Trundle, Byfield, Smith, Savage, Maynard, Akinde, John and Styvar how many roaring successes have we had up front? How many have hit the ground running from the off and made a big impact without needing six months to acclimatise? Who has given us a decent return on the investment/wages so far? Adebola at a push? Perhaps we have found GJ's weakness.

I suppose you COULD say this is GJs weakness because he's the manager, but I think it's the clubs weakness, because as I said earlier, City are a strikers graveyard. Trundle and Maynard had great records before signing for us, although in League 1, but Styvar played at a higher level and Stern John was doing it in the CCC with Saints. What we need to look at is what we're doing different at City which seems to turn prolific goalscorers into someone who can't hit a barn door!

I reckon a lot is down to service from midfield and the wings. We aren't a side who produces masses of opportunities, and the quality of the final ball is very often poor, so I think our strikers are often being asked to do an impossible job. Improve the final ball and I reckon the goals would come.

One thing our team IS crying out for is someone who'll run AT defenses with the ball at their feet, rather than us constantly passing it around the 18 yard box, only to put in a poor cross to or pass straight to a defender.

The main thing that confuses me about Stern is that everyone says he is lazy. For that reason alone I don't know why he gets games when GJ seems adament to leave other players out because they don't run all game long :unsure:

No love for the shirt they are wearing? What is that all about? They are professional footballers who all go to work for MONEY the same as you and I. Love for the shirt is just a load of b0ll0ck$. There are numerous examples of successful loan players just the same as there are bad examples. It is no different to transfers. I couldn't care if a player stuck his middle finger up at me if the boy had just done the business on the pitch and earned our club another three points!!!

Id tend to agree if he had done that but 2 goals since his arrival in November for an experienced player is just not good enough.

I wasnt there today, but I went to Blackpool where I thought he was our best forward when on the pitch, and again at Birmingham I thought he did a decent job.

In his first few games, I wasnt impressed at all, but recently he has improved. He links the play as well as anybody else in the team.

Its about time people started giving him a bit more support, mabye even a song......

I thought that part of the job of being a forward was scoring goals, how many has John scored since he's been here? I know people will say about other parts of his game, holding the ball up, etc, but a goal would be nice, never really looks like scoring, give me Trundle any day!

because he don't give a toss, if he showed he was up for it i wouldn't of started this the fact he has done more or less f all in his time here and just walk around not giving to$$

And its 3 times now that he didn't even clap the fans ( reading, brum, and today), just goes straight down the tunnel

I heard people moaning on the radio yesterday about that and laughed.

I couldnt give two sh1ts if he claps us or not and think the its a perfective reason for giving him s**t.

He gave imo an improved performance against Blackpool and i didnt go to Birmingham midweek so cant comment. Yesterday he played a couple of nice balls and had a couple of good touches. He also gave the ball away several times and miscontrolled passes into his feet. He had an opportunity to get a header on goal in 2nd half from a McAllister cross but for some reason decided to try to chest the ball down giving the defender time to get back and make the tackle before getting a shot off. Why he chose to do this only he knows but it was a poor decision. From the resulting corner he rose above everybody really well and headed over proving that he is more than capable of heading the ball and making the decision not to mins before even more frustrating.

I don't believe his overal performance was any worse than Maynards who was disappointing but yet again i am left totally mystified as to why he is seen by GJ as a better option than Trundle. Yes you could say that Trundle has been a failure during his period with us but but how anyone can say John has been any better is beyond me. :dunno:

Switch the roles around, then see how many of Manyard's deliveries John would even come close to giving a damn about trying to score. In his tenure at this club John has TWO tap-in goals, no sliding tackles and just one instance where he tried to stretch his leg out far enough to connect - today.

When double-marked John has precisely no chance of getting the ball. Maynard spent most of the day treble-marked and still managed to rout the defence on a couple of occasions. Regardless of how much more he'd be earning back home down the river for a man of his hype and position his performances have been largely risible.

I (and many, many others) would be incredulous if we picked up his contract in July.

If Maynard was treble marked and John double marked,what the hell were the other 8 outfield players doing?

Taken from the Derby fanzone match report:-

"The early goal served only to goad City into an immediate and sustained response. Almost instantly Stern John, much to the amusement of the North Stand, rose like a salmon with a misplaced sense of direction to head the ball clear of danger when it seemed easier to score."

It was impossible to tell from where i was how good a chance that was but they seem to think it was pretty good!

I couldnt give two sh1ts if he claps us or not and think the its a perfective reason for giving him s**t.

Should really read a post before posting it to make sure it makes sense.

I couldnt give two sh1ts if he claps us or not and think that its a pathetic reason for giving him s**t.

Personally I rate Stern John but seeing he has only scored twice I wouldn't renew his contract, same with Trundle.

Let these 2 go and get in 2 more proven championship strikers and push for promotion next season.

Doubt we could get a striker much more proven at Championship level than John.

But I doubt we'll offer him contract, the next transfer window should prove to be interesting. Then again I was thinking the same about January...

Archived