IGNORED

From Sunday Times

whooosh

It's just a thought, but why are you assuming that Bristol means the new City stadium. Have you considered that it could mean the Memorial Ground? :innocent06:

The capacity rules them out ....... not even half the required capacity!

Any offical whos going to see the proposed new city stadium is going to take one look and say thanks but no thanks

In your opinion. Not everyone dislikes it or expects the club to spend needless money to make the perfect stadium.

In your opinion. Not everyone dislikes it or expects the club to spend needless money to make the perfect stadium.

The stadium is a multi level stadium this type of stadium would be infact more expensive to build as oposed to a pride park type stadium, where everything is well balanced and not miss mashed

The stadium is a multi level stadium this type of stadium would be infact more expensive to build as oposed to a pride park type stadium, where everything is well balanced and not miss mashed

Not according to the architect its not, as i asked him what the cost difference was between this design and ST Mary's and he said there was no difference.

So straight from the horses mouth.

That sounds really encouraging, I'm sure that club will put on a slick presentation. If the council can step up to the plate, which will be a first, then I think Bristol has an excellant chance.

The winner in all this will be the football club and, us the fans in the future. :fingerscrossed:

Indeed.

The thought of the council putting together a slick and professional delegation, which clearly demonstrates its commitment to football in Bristol, leaves me feeling a tad uneasy.

How exciting i can't wait to have a match like togo v japan played at our stadium :fastasleep:

Why stop there when you can wish for Fareo Islands against Litchtienstein or San Moreno aginast Kuwait. If you want to be negtive come up with something a little more original, that argument has been done to death. Although I am impresed at the level of interst in the minor footballing nations in the Greater Bristol area. To be honest with all that lot expected to qualify, England (as hosts) has the best chance to win the World Cup since 1966.....can't wait :englandsmile4wf:

Not according to the architect its not, as i asked him what the cost difference was between this design and ST Mary's and he said there was no difference.

So straight from the horses mouth.

Perhaps he took you literally; you say you asked him about the cost of the DESIGN not the cost of the CONSTRUCTION. I doubt very much an Architect would make such a broad sweeping statement and be referring to the construction. Anyway, even if he did it is a ridiculous generalization. No two projects will EVER cost the same. I am sure you have misinterpreted his answer or he is not an architect.

The plan we have seen is what the majority of the fans have asked for. it looks far better than a boring bowl IMO.

Perhaps he took you literally; you say you asked him about the cost of the DESIGN not the cost of the CONSTRUCTION. I doubt very much an Architect would make such a broad sweeping statement and be referring to the construction. Anyway, even if he did it is a ridiculous generalization. No two projects will EVER cost the same. I am sure you have misinterpreted his answer or he is not an architect.

The plan we have seen is what the majority of the fans have asked for. it looks far better than a boring bowl IMO.

Architects DESIGN full stop

I asked him what the cost difference was in building the two designs at Ashton Vale. So no he didnt mis understand the question and no, i didnt misunderstand the answer.

I am presuming that should we get the go ahead to stage a match/matches then that would mean we would have the extra 10,000 seats added on making it a 40,000 capacity.

Firstly can anyone tell me if that is correct??

Secondly is that a good thing for us as a club long term?????

I have heard so much talk about lack of atmosphere at new grounds and the style of the stadiums being a major reason for this. If we end up with a 40,000 seater stadium and have 20,000 plus empty seats what sort of atmosphere are we going to be left with then?????

I am presuming that should we get the go ahead to stage a match/matches then that would mean we would have the extra 10,000 seats added on making it a 40,000 capacity.

I have heard so much talk about lack of atmosphere at new grounds and the style of the stadiums being a major reason for this. If we end up with a 40,000 seater stadium and have 20,000 plus empty seats what sort of atmosphere are we going to be left with then?????

I think what is being proposed is temporary seating for the world cup, than after the match or matches the seats are removed and we go back to the bus shelters again

The stadium will increase by 12,000 (6,000 seats at each end) and become 42,000 (FIFA minimum is 40,000) capacity.

Your secound point assumes that the club stays where it is or (god forbid) goes backwards. The Chairmans ambition is to make the Premier League at some stage, where I think you'll find City's average attendence would rise again and postentialy reach the new capacity for the Man U type games. 10 years ago very few of us would have predicted Gary Johnson and what he has achieved....therefore who is to say how the club will devloped in 10 years time. You cannot use where we are currently as an accurate measure to you last point.

Steve Lansdown has commented publicaly that 42,000 would be needed to sustain Prem football.

The stadium will increase by 12,000 (6,000 seats at each end) and become 42,000 (FIFA minimum is 40,000) capacity.

Your secound point assumes that the club stays where it is or (god forbid) goes backwards. The Chairmans ambition is to make the Premier League at some stage, where I think you'll find City's average attendence would rise again and postentialy reach the new capacity for the Man U type games. 10 years ago very few of us would have predicted Gary Johnson and what he has achieved....therefore who is to say how the club will devloped in 10 years time. You cannot use where we are currently as an accurate measure to you last point.

Steve Lansdown has commented publicaly that 42,000 would be needed to sustain Prem football.

He's also stated that it can easily be downsized back to a 30,000.

I had a long chat with the designer at one of the presentations and asked how the seating increase would be carried out, and would it be reversible.

He said the design was unique, in that it could be increased, either with permanent seating, or temporary seating which could be removed after the World Cup tournament if we didn't feel we could justify keeping it. Apparently the design allows for the roof to be lifted by crane to allow for the extra seating to be installed at the back, but the same roof can be lowered again if the seating is removed again later.

We don't have to worry about being lost in a massive stadium if we don't have the crowds to fill it, but we can easily have the higher capacity if we get crowds big enough to fill it. I guess we would still go with this design, even if we didn't get the World Cup, as we'd have easy expansion built in if we needed it later.

He mentioned that a number of clubs have considered increasing the capacity of their 'bowls' but due to the way they are built, the cost is frighteningly high so has put them off. I think Reading are one club and Hull are another I've heard from another source.

Well actually i think i can use where we are as a club currently to measure my point. The reason being that whilst it is great to have ambitions of becoming an established Premier League club the reality is that to achieve that status is a monumental task. Just having a new stadium isnt going to guarantee that we will become a Premier League club. There are many other championship teams that have new stadiums and are still only CCC teams. Even if we do get into the Premier League to stay there and become established is a huge ask. Are we ever going to be able to attract the kind of players that will be able to keep us there year in year out???

Whilst it is great to have ambitions we also have to consider the fact that we are going to be playing in this new stadium as a CCC side which goes back to my original point. Should we not achieve the fairytale scenario of becoming a Premier League club and never ever get relegated then how is that going to affect us playing in a half empty stadium as a CCC club.Should we not be waiting at least until we are in the Premier League before we even consider extending the capacity of our ground.

Is it right to risk being in that scenario just for the honour of staging 1 or maybe 2 world cup matches??????? It would be nice to see world cup football in Bristol and would give the club good publicity but only for that period. What happens after. Can anyone remember all the stadiums that were used in the last world cup for example??? Or the one before????? I certainly cant.

Once the World cup is over thats it!!! We will be forgotten in the minds of millions around the world!!!

But we will be left with the real possibility of playing in a half empty stadium. To ignore that possibility is IMO a very very foolish thing to do!!!!

Whilst it is great to have ambitions we also have to consider the fact that we are going to be playing in this new stadium as a CCC side which goes back to my original point. Should we not achieve the fairytale scenario of becoming a Premier League club and never ever get relegated then how is that going to affect us playing in a half empty stadium as a CCC club.Should we not be waiting at least until we are in the Premier League before we even consider extending the capacity of our ground.

But we will be left with the real possibility of playing in a half empty stadium. To ignore that possibility is IMO a very very foolish thing to do!!!!

But what would be more foolish would be to build a stadium that isn't big enough to ever sustain Premierl League football.

Whilst it might not come off, what we build here will have a bearing on the kind of club Bristol City goes on to become. If it doesn't work, well that's a shame but at least we'll have tried.

It's sad that we're now in an era where it is basically impossible for a club like City to win the kind of silverware that would attract bigger crowds and make us a bigger club. However, as the gap between rich and poor grows bigger City find themselves stood right in the middle of it, and if we don't make a jump towards the rich side we risk being trapped forever in the lower leagues.

Well actually i think i can use where we are as a club currently to measure my point. The reason being that whilst it is great to have ambitions of becoming an established Premier League club the reality is that to achieve that status is a monumental task. Just having a new stadium isnt going to guarantee that we will become a Premier League club. There are many other championship teams that have new stadiums and are still only CCC teams. Even if we do get into the Premier League to stay there and become established is a huge ask. Are we ever going to be able to attract the kind of players that will be able to keep us there year in year out???

Is it right to risk being in that scenario just for the honour of staging 1 or maybe 2 world cup matches??????? It would be nice to see world cup football in Bristol and would give the club good publicity but only for that period. What happens after. Can anyone remember all the stadiums that were used in the last world cup for example??? Or the one before????? I certainly cant.

Once the World cup is over thats it!!! We will be forgotten in the minds of millions around the world!!!

Fair points, but IF Bristol and Bristol City was designated as a 2018 venue, we have been told it would be for a minimum of 4 matches possiable 5. Other posters have pointed out the flexibility of the design be able to move from 42,000 to 30,000 configuration, which should eliviate some of your concerns. From what I have seen of Championship football we will need a 30,000 capacity stadium to really mix it with the big boys at this level.

But what would be more foolish would be to build a stadium that isn't big enough to ever sustain Premierl League football. I am totally mystified as to why you would think that a 30,000 capacity stadium couldnt sustain Premier League football for a club like us.

Whilst it might not come off, what we build here will have a bearing on the kind of club Bristol City goes on to become. Too right it will

If it doesn't work, well that's a shame but at least we'll have tried. So you are happy to do this regardless of the consequences to the club???? As long as "we have tried"!!!!! well if we do it and do not achieve the status that would be required to fill a 42,000 seater stadium it may end up being more than just a shame!!!!

It's sad that we're now in an era where it is basically impossible for a club like City to win the kind of silverware that would attract bigger crowds and make us a bigger club. However, as the gap between rich and poor grows bigger City find themselves stood right in the middle of it, and if we don't make a jump towards the rich side we risk being trapped forever in the lower leagues.

Having the option to add to the capacity is a great thing to have but the timing of such a thing is absolutely crucial. To do it before we have even got into the Premier league is IMO a silly thing to do.

The ideal that there is the capacity to reduce the ground after the world cup is over is reassuring to know but we are not talking about a small job here. I am guessing to increase or reduce the capacity of the stadium would cost a hell of a lot of money to do and would be something that we couldnt just do whenever we felt like it.

IMO having a 30,000 seater stadium would be more than enough to accomate us in the Premier League initially. If we maintain that status and grow as a club only then would it be the right choice to consider the option of increasing the capacity. For me any ammount of World Cup matches is not a big enough reward to justify the effect this could have on our beloved club in the future.

Well 2018 gives us plenty of time to get into the Premier League. In fact I'd say on our current course there's more risk that we'd get there and drop out again before 2018!

If we don't need the seating after 2018 it can go again, if we do need it it can stay. If we need it prior to that we can also build it. If everything goes wrong for us the world cup games will probably go elsewhere anyway.

Archived