IGNORED

From Sunday Times

whooosh

thats a rather uncompelling argument

if you don't agree with me you are a loser backward bumpkin

are we going to get a world cup match? is it worth it?

are we ever going to justify a 40,000 ground for bristol city?

these are valid questions

It wouldn't just be one match. It would be four or five plus a quarter final as a minimum.

Nobody can answer if we're going to be one of the grounds at this stage but, geographically (for once), we're at an advantage and will at least be in a position to be considered.

Reading some of the posts on this thread it's apparent that the chairman is much more ambitious than some supporters.

World cup football in Bristol in a 40,000+ stadium which belongs to Bristol City - perish the thought, far too good for us bumpkins.

SL once said that the west country has a loser mentality and scared of success, he's right.

Hey why don't we just throw caution to the wind and go for a 50,000 capacity........no hang on make it 60,000. To hell with the consequences for this club in the future........just so long as we get to host 5 matches in the world cup, please all the kn0bs that run Fifa, Uefa, and the FA and don't come acroos as having a loser mentality!!!!!!!!!

It wouldn't just be one match. It would be four or five plus a quarter final as a minimum.

Nobody can answer if we're going to be one of the grounds at this stage but, geographically (for once), we're at an advantage and will at least be in a position to be considered.

four or five plus a quater final sounds like a lot

are you sure about that? I went to germany a couiple of years ago to kaiserslautern, i'm sure they only had one or two group games plus one second round game.

are you sure about that? I went to germany a couiple of years ago to kaiserslautern, i'm sure they only had one or two group games plus one second round game.

I'm sure that's what was said, but I'll have another listen.

I can't find the relevant clip now, but I have looked up the fixtures from World Cup 2006 in Germany.

Berlin had 6 games (4 Group, 1 QF and the Final).

Cologne had 5 games (4 Group and 1 R2).

Dortmund had 6 games (4 Group, 1 R2 and 1 SF).

Frankfurt had 5 games (4 Group and 1 QF).

Gelsenkirchen had 5 games (4 Group and 1 QF).

Hamburg had 5 games (4 Group and 1 QF).

Hanover had 5 games (4 Group and 1 R2).

Kaiserslautern had 5 games (4 Group and 1 R2).

Leipzig had 5 games (4 Group and 1 R2).

Munich had 6 games (4 Group, 1 R2 and 1 SF).

Nuremberg had 5 games (4 Group and 1 R2).

Stuttgart had 6 games (4 Group, 1 R2 and the 3rd/4th Play Off).

So I guess that's where the figures have come from.

SL once said that the west country has a loser mentality and scared of success, he's right.

Sadly this seems to be spot on. Instead of seeing what a glorious opportunity this is to promote our club and our city some people seem intent on focussing on the negatives.

I would love to have a World Cup game hosted in Bristol, any game even the most insignificant first round match between the two weakest teams, it doesn't matter it's still a huge event.

Sadly this seems to be spot on. Instead of seeing what a glorious opportunity this is to promote our club and our city some people seem intent on focussing on the negatives.

I would love to have a World Cup game hosted in Bristol, any game even the most insignificant first round match between the two weakest teams, it doesn't matter it's still a huge event.

living in leeds I would have thought you would know all about rapid unsustainable expansion and the corrosive effect it can have on a club.

living in leeds I would have thought you would know all about rapid unsustainable expansion and the corrosive effect it can have on a club.

Yet people here remain far more positive than those in Bristol.

It is, as they say, better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done.

It is, as they say, better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done.

Like Boavista? Currently still paying off the expansion to their ground for Euro 2004. Slight snag is they can't on the gates they get. BCFC could end up with a 42000 white elephant so in order to erase these fears the club need to start explaining their bigger picture in full particularly in regard to financing and what happens to the extra capacity if not needed. In forty years City have not averaged more than 23000 sorry but City could end up with a ground sounding like a graveyard.

This would be one of the biggest things to ever happen to this club and yet anyone who expresses any sort of alternative view point for consideration is just being negative!

I don't doubt for 1 second that all the views that have been given on here have probably already been discussed in our clubs boardroom! Generally that is what you have to do when shaping the future of a club (i presume)......unless of course they are all like you and decide that any kind of talk about the possible consequences this may have should it all go t*ts up is totally negative and should be disregarded completely.

I am all for taking this club forward but not in the gung ho, lets go for it and to hell with consequences style that you seem to class as being positive!

If that makes you sad then so be it!

Like Boavista? Currently still paying off the expansion to their ground for Euro 2004. Slight snag is they can't on the gates they get. BCFC could end up with a 42000 white elephant so in order to erase these fears the club need to start explaining their bigger picture in full particularly in regard to financing and what happens to the extra capacity if not needed. In forty years City have not averaged more than 23000 sorry but City could end up with a ground sounding like a graveyard.

WHoaaaaaaaaa there Frome.....why thats just negative talk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This would be one of the biggest things to ever happen to this club and yet anyone who expresses any sort of alternative view point for consideration is just being negative!

I don't doubt for 1 second that all the views that have been given on here have probably already been discussed in our clubs boardroom! Generally that is what you have to do when shaping the future of a club (i presume)......unless of course they are all like you and decide that any kind of talk about the possible consequences this may have should it all go t*ts up is totally negative and should be disregarded completely.

I am all for taking this club forward but not in the gung ho, lets go for it and to hell with consequences style that you seem to class as being positive!

If that makes you sad then so be it!

Remarkable. Perhaps you could try reading what I wrote and then formulating a response, instead of making wild assumptions about what you think I said.

I have never said anything about being gung ho in the advancement of the club, I merely stated that this is a golden opportunity yet some people can find only negatives in it.

Remember we're talking about 10,000 temporary seats here not a major structural change or rebuilding. It's entirely optional and can be removed if not needed, so I don't see why there is so much concern.

I'd wager if we built a 25,000 seat stadium and it turned out to be inadequate it'd be exactly the same people saying we should have built it bigger as are saying it should be smaller now.

Remarkable. Perhaps you could try reading what I wrote and then formulating a response, instead of making wild assumptions about what you think I said.

I have never said anything about being gung ho in the advancement of the club, I merely stated that this is a golden opportunity yet some people can find only negatives in it.

Remember we're talking about 10,000 temporary seats here not a major structural change or rebuilding. It's entirely optional and can be removed if not needed, so I don't see why there is so much concern.

I'd wager if we built a 25,000 seat stadium and it turned out to be inadequate it'd be exactly the same people saying we should have built it bigger as are saying it should be smaller now.

Its 12000 seats and at HOK's presentation I don't recall mention of two temporay tiers being added to the stadium. The two Bus stop like ends do have temporary roofs and within this design that is not optional it's a requirement from BCFC and dictates the entire structures design.

Oh yes its that easy isnt it? Doesnt cost us anything does it? We can just whip it up and down whenever we feel like it cant we??

I will tell you what IMO is remarkable! Its that throughout this thread others and myself have made suggestions as to why this may not be a happy ever after scenario and that it is worth considering every possible outcome before deciding to go through with something as big as this and you decide that by doing that all we are doing is focusing on the negatives instead of thinking that maybe we are only concerned with the long term future of this club!

If you hadnt come to the conclusion that "only focussing on the negatives" was what we are doing then i wouldnt have the opinion that your ideals on moving the club forward are "gung ho"

Or based on annoying things like facts where histoy tells us BCFC will have to do something gates wise they have never ever done even in the 70's to get anywhere near filling this stadium on a regular basis.

Hey i didnt get to be a negative bumpkin with a loser mentality by basing my opinions on facts thats for sure :whistle2:

Oh yes its that easy isnt it? Doesnt cost us anything does it? We can just whip it up and down whenever we feel like it cant we??

I will tell you what IMO is remarkable! Its that throughout this thread others and myself have made suggestions as to why this may not be a happy ever after scenario and that it is worth considering every possible outcome before deciding to go through with something as big as this and you decide that by doing that all we are doing is focusing on the negatives instead of thinking that maybe we are only concerned with the long term future of this club!

If you hadnt come to the conclusion that "only focussing on the negatives" was what we are doing then i wouldnt have the opinion that your ideals on moving the club forward are "gung ho"

He might be right though. BCFC will remove the two temporary roofs at each end of the stadium add two temporary additional tiers with roof structures which marry into the neighbouring stands. Post world cup off comes the roof, off come the two temporary tiers and back go on the original temporary roofs. It has been done before so it could be a inexpensive and almost effortless task in which case BCFC will be informing us how it will be done so we can understand the process.

He might be right though. BCFC will remove the two temporary roofs at each end of the stadium add two temporary additional tiers with roof structures which marry into the neighbouring stands. Post world cup off comes the roof, off come the two temporary tiers and back go on the original temporary roofs. It has been done before so it could be a inexpensive and almost effortless task in which case BCFC will be informing us how it will be done so we can understand the process.

When you say it like that it does sound like a relatively small job....i may put in for it myself!

Archived