IGNORED

5-3-2

internetjef

who plays 5-3-2 in england these days??? no one! ........... did lothar matheus join our coaching staff?

I bet no one knows how to defend against it anymore :laugh:. fair play to Johnson for trying it out and getting the result

versatility is a real bonus for city now, we have succesfully (at times) used 442, 451 and now 532 this season and in general done it with most of the same players. This means that if we are struggling 0-0 at 60 mins we don't just have the options on the bench to fall back on, we have the ability to change tactics effectively aswell.

3 subs and 3 formations gives us a lot of options!

who plays 5-3-2 in england these days??? no one! ........... did lothar matheus join our coaching staff?

I bet no one knows how to defend against it anymore :laugh:. fair play to Johnson for trying it out and getting the result

versatility is a real bonus for city now, we have succesfully (at times) used 442, 451 and now 532 this season and in general done it with most of the same players. This means that if we are struggling 0-0 at 60 mins we don't just have the options on the bench to fall back on, we have the ability to change tactics effectively aswell.

3 subs and 3 formations gives us a lot of options!

City's line up looked like 3-5 2 to me. The same as at Derby where City had most of the play and created several chances in the first 20mins. No need to change what looks to be an effective formation.

With only three central defenders its very dependent on both wing backs getting up and down which McAllister and Orr did well tonight. That said if Coventry had started with two wingers 3-5-2 doesn't look as effective if neither full back can get forward.

I'd be surprised if the same formation is employed against Cardiff on Sunday. It would be too risky having played that way in the last two games - something that won't have been lost on Dave Jones. He's likely to adopt a counter tactic if he thinks Johnson will stay with 3-5-2. Keep him guessing I say.

i was going to post about the formation last night, the pro's and cons.

a pro would have to be that from an attacking sense it looked good. coventry couldnt handle it and although i didnt go to derby, by the sounds of things they couldnt really handle it either. got to start making things easier for ourselves by taking the simple chances cus were not going to score 30 yarders every week!

now the con... defensively, especially in the wide areas, we look very open. cant help but feel that against a team with more quality than coventry (i.e cardiff on sunday!) they would of taken more advantage of this. there were times were orr and mcallister were our furthest forward players and we were fortunate coventry didnt know what to do with the ball in the final third.

if we go 3-5-2 again on sunday, it will make for an open game and would mean goals at either end

Archived