IGNORED

Credit Where Its Due

NickJ

Probably the 3 most pilloried individuals, all made telling contributions this evening.

Stern John - oozed quality, an absolute class act. Can only think he was withdrawn due to fatigue or felt he wouldnt complement Adebola.

Jamie McCallister - apart from the goal, which had me jumping in celebration the second it left his foot, had a sterling game, both defensively and also getting forward deep into the opposition area and a vast improvement in distribution on recent weeks.

Lee Johnson - yes, as I have read elsewhere on here, gave the ball away under no pressure 3 times inside the first 5 minutes, yes a number of poor free kicks and forward passes, all of which led to some jeering from sections of the crowd. But what takes bottle given the stick he takes is to keep going, and thats what makes his goal worthy of comment. Williams had the skill and drive to take the ball 40 yards into the Coventry penalty area, a contribution which in itself shouldnt go unnoticed, however, who was it that got furthest forward to help out - LJ. It made me think, here's a lad who has been on the receiving end of a lot of criticism, but with City one up and the game coming to its closing minutes, he was prepared to keep going, getting himself ahead of all the other strikers and midfield players, and for that reason alone thoroughly deserved his goal.

The irony is that our stalwart, Carey, probably had as poor a game as he's had all season, although to be fair by his own high standards he was probably only just below average as opposed to the normal very good to excellent.

Still don't know what to make of Stryvar.

Where was Sproule? The last 20 minutes were made for him.

No thats his review of every game. I'm surprised he has'nt blamed the economic crisis on Lee Johnson

Well to be fair, I DID see LJ standing outside the ground last year shouting "Sub-Prime, sub-prime, ger yer loverly mortgage 'ere - no need to pay 'em back"

So he DOES have a point

Probably the 3 most pilloried individuals, all made telling contributions this evening.

Stern John - oozed quality, an absolute class act. Can only think he was withdrawn due to fatigue or felt he wouldnt complement Adebola.

Jamie McCallister - apart from the goal, which had me jumping in celebration the second it left his foot, had a sterling game, both defensively and also getting forward deep into the opposition area and a vast improvement in distribution on recent weeks.

Lee Johnson - yes, as I have read elsewhere on here, gave the ball away under no pressure 3 times inside the first 5 minutes, yes a number of poor free kicks and forward passes, all of which led to some jeering from sections of the crowd. But what takes bottle given the stick he takes is to keep going, and thats what makes his goal worthy of comment. Williams had the skill and drive to take the ball 40 yards into the Coventry penalty area, a contribution which in itself shouldnt go unnoticed, however, who was it that got furthest forward to help out - LJ. It made me think, here's a lad who has been on the receiving end of a lot of criticism, but with City one up and the game coming to its closing minutes, he was prepared to keep going, getting himself ahead of all the other strikers and midfield players, and for that reason alone thoroughly deserved his goal.

The irony is that our stalwart, Carey, probably had as poor a game as he's had all season, although to be fair by his own high standards he was probably only just below average as opposed to the normal very good to excellent.

You have highlighted one of the things I really like about Lee Johnson there NickJ, and for me the main reason why he is so important to the team. He is ALWAYS available to receive the ball and never looks for a place to hide regardless of the constant stick he gets or whether he has just made a blatent mistake. Definitely not one of his better games last night, but didn't go into his shell and kept going for the 90 minutes.

Small in stature, but a big man on the football pitch.

I thought last nights game was pretty good from a City perspective, bouncing back after two disapointing defeats. No player was outstanding nor did anyone have a poor game. I'd call it a decent team performance.

Having seen 3-5-2 twice now it certainly has the advantage of allowing City more possession which obviously denies the opposition the ball but it does leave the flanks open to the counter and against better sides that would be exploited. Although Derby aren't a top side both their goals came from moves down the wings. I was surprised not to see Coventry try and use the flanks more last night.

The three points were vital and now City can go into the crunch game on sunday with confidence restorted.

Apart from the goal,where he was Johnny on th spot, he was dreadful. First half twice within secounds he received the ball in the middle of our half with space to move into and players in front of him he turned round to face our goal and pass the ball back and played our defenders into trouble.

Terrible freekicks straight to the keeper in one case. Played a 40 yard back pass when it was still 0-0 when he had more positive options.

Gave the ball away to many times and sherked tackles. Did not affect the game enough.

Credit to him for getting forward and getting on the end of the cross. He need to do this more, be stronger in the tackle and he needs to make more of an impact on the game. LJ seems to play in his comfort zone, he needs to take more responsibility and take a few chances.

I know a lot of people on here haves a go at Mckindo but he is always trying to be involved in the game and make things happend I would never critisise a player who is trying to affect the game. LJ goes hiding at times he should stand up and be a bit more brave if he was fans would be a little more forgiving.

Actually, I though McIndoe was far and away the best player on the pitch.

Johnson, who has looked more the part recently, had a shocker. Good for him getting the goal though.

Great routine for the Macca goal, the distraction in the box was classic.

Just a reply to the various replies.

Yes McIndoe had a good game - though "far and away best player on pitch" is stretching it a bit, but the purpose of the original post was to give deserved praise to 3 players who have been criticised, not to say they were necessarily the best 3.

I don't agree Johnson had a shocker - and I am openly not his biggest fan - no better no worse than normal. My main point is how he kept going when it would have been very easy to hide.

And finally once again, Stern John was an absolute delight, I can quite easily watch quality like that.

I'm glad they all played well, because they all had shockers on saturday, specialy lee j and stern, thats the game i spose.

Can't agree with that.

All three had shockers on Saturday? Yet we dominated the game?

Personally thought Jamie Mac was poor then, the other two were OK.

That would be Stern 'set Nicky Maynard up three times in the first twenty minutes' John I presume.

Yes, my thoughts exactly, the fox in the box then went on to miss sitters in the shitters, no mention of him?

Can't blame it on the lame excuse of no service - didn't he miss one on Tuesday as well?

Yes, my thoughts exactly, the fox in the box then went on to miss sitters in the shitters, no mention of him?

Can't blame it on the lame excuse of no service - didn't he miss one on Tuesday as well?

stern still missed 2 sitters and lee j misplaced god knows how many passes and was at fault for the goal, needs to close down quicker.

and yes we did outplay derby, just imagine how one sided it would have been if all 3 had good games, mcalisters crossing was awfull, infact carey looked our best crosser on saturday, put 2 wonderfull balls in.

but what the hey.

A good post.

The point about Johnson is a particularly important one. Everyone has their own opinions on the LJ situation, and it's been done a million times, but he should always be given credit for his professionalism and never-say-die attitude on the pitch. We have a real honest pro in Lee and I respect that attitude.

In my eyes, he shows more desire to do well than someone like Tommy Doherty ever did.

Apart from the goal,where he was Johnny on th spot, he was dreadful. First half twice within secounds he received the ball in the middle of our half with space to move into and players in front of him he turned round to face our goal and pass the ball back and played our defenders into trouble.

Terrible freekicks straight to the keeper in one case. Played a 40 yard back pass when it was still 0-0 when he had more positive options.

Gave the ball away to many times and sherked tackles. Did not affect the game enough.

Credit to him for getting forward and getting on the end of the cross. He need to do this more, be stronger in the tackle and he needs to make more of an impact on the game. LJ seems to play in his comfort zone, he needs to take more responsibility and take a few chances.

I know a lot of people on here haves a go at Mckindo but he is always trying to be involved in the game and make things happend I would never critisise a player who is trying to affect the game. LJ goes hiding at times he should stand up and be a bit more brave if he was fans would be a little more forgiving.

you are correct these are all faults of his in most games but my problem with it is how people perceive the whole game some people only ever comment about what our players are not doing rather then the positive thing they do bring to our team. Its far easier to moan about whats wrong than to give your support and see the positives that a player has offered since day 1.

For example I think we would lose possession allot more if Johnson wasn't in the side due to the fact he is always available to anyone that wants to pass to him(he acts like a safety net in midfield, anyone gets in to trouble then they know Johnson will be able to help them out)that magic word that everyone uses Linking the play. This could be the reason he loses the ball quite a bit as well because the player playing the ball to him is quite often rushed and not able to see what kind of preasure Jhonson is under.

Another example is Orr - allot of people say his distribution is awful but what he brings to the game is a right back that hardly ever gets beat and I think its more important to have a right back that doesn't get beat then a half hearted defender that can play the most stunning 20 yard ball.

You can do this for nearly every member of the team because no one is a complete all rounder, they all bring different things to games and as long as they are doing what they are in the side for then thats fine by me. It does seem like some of our fans want every player to be as good as Carey is at defending in the center, MCombes ability to win crosses, Marvins ability to put the foot in in midfield, Sprouls pace and the skills of Trundle which is completely unfair on any of our players. You can look at the best teams in the world and draw similar conclusions to all of there players its how the whole team works rather then a part not doing the same as another part.

you are correct these are all faults of his in most games but my problem with it is how people perceive the whole game some people only ever comment about what our players are not doing rather then the positive thing they do bring to our team. Its far easier to moan about whats wrong than to give your support and see the positives that a player has offered since day 1.

For example I think we would lose possession allot more if Johnson wasn't in the side due to the fact he is always available to anyone that wants to pass to him(he acts like a safety net in midfield, anyone gets in to trouble then they know Johnson will be able to help them out)that magic word that everyone uses Linking the play. This could be the reason he loses the ball quite a bit as well because the player playing the ball to him is quite often rushed and not able to see what kind of preasure Jhonson is under.

Absolutely spot-on.

It constantly amazes me how many fans that watch loads of games, have no insight into how the game actually works.

LJ sees more of the ball then any other of our players due to the role he plays, and the law of averages say he will make more misplaced passes than other players because of this.

Archived