IGNORED

Free Kicks

madmax

Many of our free kicks don't amount to much, including corners and crosses. I know we have had odd goals from them in the past but I feel that if GJ takes a look at the Birmingham game and the free kicks that they 'whipped' in then maybe if we did the same we might get something from them.

Many times last night we floated free kicks and their keeper or defenders just simply dealt with them. Be nice to see a whipped in fast cross, free kick or corner so Dele or even Styvar 'I'm best heading the ball' can get on the end of them.

Or am I completely wrong and we already do this????

MM

for me the bottom line is the quality of free kick/corner just isnt good enough on a consistent basis. The floated/Dink (whatever you want to call it) cross can be equally as effective as a whipped ball if the quality is there. Last night the combination of a good ball and a perfectly timed run resulted in McCombe getting a very powerful header on goal. He met the ball at pace which is key!

All to often our free kicks/Corners have been either too close to the keeper or don't clear the first defender!

It's a dink, isn't it? It's always a dink. Any team that watches one of our previous games will know that we try to dink it into the box 99% of the time.

The result? And easy catch for the keeper or a bread and butter for a centre half.

We simply do not cause enough problems from set pieces at the moment.

Lee Johnson and McIndoe always deliberate over the ball when a free kick in an attacking position is awarded to City. Between them they usually produce very little.There is the odd occaision when they get it right but overall the success percentage is low and they are both wasting good positional dead ball situations.

This is not simply an opinion - its fact that all can see.We see it every game and last night was no exception. Johnson 'dinked' a central free kick straight into the keepers arms at one point. Errors like that at this level should be assessed and reviewed in training and if a player can't get it right then he should be replaced.

I'm not expecting them to produce a goal every time there is an attacking free kick but the stats must show that both of them are pretty ineffective over a season. Time to vary it a bit imo and make use of other players skills - Williams and Maynard would be my shout.

Archived