IGNORED

Disappointed In The Club

bringbacktherobin

Went to pick up the wavey flags today from the stewards room where they are kept, were told

"You can take the drum, but not the flags"

To when i asked why and who said that, all they would say is that mike pratt the safety officer said it, when i asked for them to contact him for me so i could speak to him they said they couldnt do that.

I then went to the reception and asked if i could speak to either mike pratt or Keith draisey, they started to ring them, then asked me what it was about, i told them and they said

"They wont come and speak to you about that" and stopped ringing them.

The woman at the counter said "it might be because they could offend the cardiff fans"

They have only had one compliant this season, and that was because they were being waved when the game was on, which we have since stopped waving them when the game is going on.

The flags cannot be offensive, they are red and white, white and red, and white red yellow green. Or if they are worried about us attack the Cardiff fans with them, why would we after the amount of money they cost, or they are worried we would poke the cardiff fans with the poles, how would that be possible? They are 5 or 6 metres long, with 3 rows of police, and 3 blocks separating us it wouldn't be possible, or did they think we would jump the hoardings and start to joust with the cardiff fans.

To make matters worse, they club has my email address, my telephone number and my address, all it would have taken would be a quick telephone call to say that the flags wouldn't be allowed out today and give a reason.

I have asked the supporters trust to ask the club why they were not allowed.

Went to pick up the wavey flags today from the stewards room where they are kept, were told

To when i asked why and who said that, all they would say is that mike pratt the safety officer said it, when i asked for them to contact him for me so i could speak to him they said they couldnt do that.

I then went to the reception and asked if i could speak to either mike pratt or Keith draisey, they started to ring them, then asked me what it was about, i told them and they said

The woman at the counter said "it might be because they could offend the cardiff fans"

The have only had one compliant this season, and that was because they were being waved when the game was on, which we have since stopped waving them when the game is going on.

The flags cannot be offensive, they are red and white, white and red, and white red yellow green. Or if they are worried about us attack the Cardiff fans with them, why would we after the amount of money they cost, if they are worried we would poke the cardiff fans with the poles, how would that be possible? They are 5 or 6 metres long, with 3 rows of police, and 3 blocks separating us it wouldn't be possible, or did they think we would jump the hoardings and start to joust with the cardiff fans.

To make matters worse, they club has my email address, my telephone number and my address, all it would have taken would be a quick telephone call to say that the flags wouldn't be allowed out today and give a reason.

fair enough if they didn't want to allow you to use the flags today (rightly or wrongly), but the least mike pratt or Keith draisey should have done is actually have the balls to talk to you about it, not hide behind a steward or receptionist and get them to pass on a message. pathetic from the club

The have only had one compliant this season, and that was because they were being waved when the game was on, which we have since stopped waving them when the game is going on.

The flags cannot be offensive, they are red and white, white and red, and white red yellow green. Or if they are worried about us attack the Cardiff fans with them, why would we after the amount of money they cost, if they are worried we would poke the cardiff fans with the poles, how would that be possible? They are 5 or 6 metres long, with 3 rows of police, and 3 blocks separating us it wouldn't be possible, or did they think we would jump the hoardings and start to joust with the cardiff fans.

Maybe they were hiding be the flags. :D

This is appaling to hear. I DEMAND an explanation from the club A.S.A.P as i am 'offended' aswell.

Absolutely disgusted - Sorry but the club cannot hide on this one. On one hand they want our support (which at times today was magnificent) but then on the other hide behind this namby pamby health and safety state we now appear to live in? So what if the flags had offended our visitors - I was offended by them serenading us with the English are S@&* an hour before the kick off but I didnt see any of them being shown the door.

Absolutely disgusted - Sorry but the club cannot hide on this one. On one hand they want our support (which at times today was magnificent) but then on the other hide behind this namby pamby health and safety state we now appear to live in? So what if the flags had offended our visitors - I was offended by them serenading us with the English are S@&* an hour before the kick off but I didnt see any of them being shown the door.

Now, i don't know if that is the reason they were not allowed in the ground.

Was only told by the woman behind the counter that it could "possibly" be the reason.

They have only had one compliant this season, and that was because they were being waved when the game was on, which we have since stopped waving them when the game is going on.

The flags cannot be offensive, they are red and white, white and red, and white red yellow green. Or if they are worried about us attack the Cardiff fans with them, why would we after the amount of money they cost, or they are worried we would poke the cardiff fans with the poles, how would that be possible? They are 5 or 6 metres long, with 3 rows of police, and 3 blocks separating us it wouldn't be possible, or did they think we would jump the hoardings and start to joust with the cardiff fans.

Simple answer = Labour Government = pc and human rights and apparently that includes the welsh aswell!

I was wondering were they were today as well.

Think its a poor excuse by the club to be honest, they have been used in almost EVERY game this season yet they ban them for today?

There was enough police in the EE so i really don't see what the problem was. It will be very interesting to see the real reasoning behind it.

It is disappointing from the club really. They issue a rallying cry for our support and lots of red and white yet exclude the biggest red/white things in the ground with no real explanation or warning. I appreciate that a lot of the people mentioned were just doing their job and passing on messages but surely the buck has to stop somewhere. Who actually banned them or was it just a breakdown in communication? Either way it's frustrating and a real shame.

I've spoken to Mike on the phone before and he seemed like a reasonable enough chap... what's the chance you just met a load of jobs worths? (The not willing to contact him about it makes it sound like you did)

Can we all not instantly lay into him and Keith Draisey before we get the official word! They might not have sanctioned this action themselves so it would be unfair to do so until we know for sure.

I've spoken to Mike on the phone before and he seemed like a reasonable enough chap... what's the chance you just met a load of jobs worths? (The not willing to contact him about it makes it sound like you did)

Can we all not instantly lay into him and Keith Draisey before we get the official word! They might not have sanctioned this action themselves so it would be unfair to do so until we know for sure.

No your right, i was in a meeting with Mike and Keith at the start of the season, both are reasonable chaps, and very helpful. I doubt they would lie about Mike saying it, the people in the stewards room have always been good this season about letting us collect flags etc.

Also, when the big flag and others have been put on the netting stewards have helped carry the flags over to the netting.

Again guys, 19 odd replies - most (not all) of them critical of the club and comments such as "pathetic", "joke", "appalling", "disgusted" etc etc. but as yet we've not heard the other side of the story yet.

Now maybe this has been a total balls up by the club and perhaps it was a result of a far-left, Rovers fan, Labour government conspiracy - but let's just call off the dogs for now.

I doubt the reason was to do with causing offense, though I may be wrong. As for how awful it was of Mike Pratt and Keith Draisey to "hide behind the receptionist" - well, has anyone considered for a split second that they may just have been damn busy today. I imagine the average matchday is very busy for them with 17,000 fans and hundreds of staff to look after. But today they would have had Sky cameras to consider, a lot of police to liaise with and obviously a very big job on with bussing the Cardiff fans in. So maybe they didn't have time to come down.

Don't get me wrong - it is a real shame that the flags couldn't come down. And it's a shame no-one was contacted before hand - but cut a bit of slack.

Again guys, 19 odd replies - most (not all) of them critical of the club and comments such as "pathetic", "joke", "appalling", "disgusted" etc etc. but as yet we've not heard the other side of the story yet.

Now maybe this has been a total balls up by the club and perhaps it was a result of a far-left, Rovers fan, Labour government conspiracy - but let's just call off the dogs for now.

I doubt the reason was to do with causing offense, though I may be wrong. As for how awful it was of Mike Pratt and Keith Draisey to "hide behind the receptionist" - well, has anyone considered for a split second that they may just have been damn busy today. I imagine the average matchday is very busy for them with 17,000 fans and hundreds of staff to look after. But today they would have had Sky cameras to consider, a lot of police to liaise with and obviously a very big job on with bussing the Cardiff fans in. So maybe they didn't have time to come down.

Don't get me wrong - it is a real shame that the flags couldn't come down. And it's a shame no-one was contacted before hand - but cut a bit of slack.

I fully understand what you are saying Mr Parrot maybe it wasn't possible, but what I do not understand is, how can the club urge fans to get it a sea of red and white and expect fans to deliever, when the biggest red and white things in the ground are not allowed out to play.

Those flags cost a lot of money, we are not going to ruin the possibility of getting them banned properly by the club by doing stupid stuff with them. Which is why I emailed the club when I heard there was a complaint months ago, to try and make sure we could keep them, we do not want trouble we the flags, they are there to try and add some colour to the gate.

I fully understand what you are saying Mr Parrot maybe it wasn't possible, but what I do not understand is, how can the club urge fans to get it a sea of red and white and expect fans to deliever, when the biggest red and white things in the ground are not allowed out to play.

Those flags cost a lot of money, we are not going to ruin the possibility of getting them banned properly by the club by doing stupid stuff with them. Which is why I emailed the club when I heard there was a complaint months ago, to try and make sure we could keep them, we do not want trouble we the flags, they are there to try and add some colour to the gate.

Maybe I'm just tired but how could a flag cause trouble, i will intrested to see what the reason is for the banning of the flags from todays game, especially as it would have looked good on sky.

Of course it was a shame. Sure if it was safety concerns then it wouldn't have been any worry about what you'd do with them but others. Same as how staff aren't allowed to take many items in to the ground. No nice mug of tea etc.

Of course it was a shame. Sure if it was safety concerns then it wouldn't have been any worry about what you'd do with them but others. Same as how staff aren't allowed to take many items in to the ground. No nice mug of tea etc.

I still think if that is the case, it would be impossible to get to the cardiff fans with the lines of police and stewards etc.

The telescopic poles while extended cannot hurt anyone, they are fishing rods, they are flimsy, ripping a seat up and hitting someone with it would cause more damage.

This is all pathethetic, people spent good money on these flags and go to the bother to collect them and fly them all to add a bit of colour to the occasion, there can be no good reason as to why they would be banned for this one game, its probably a decision made by one jobsworth, i'm afraid the buck-passing and lack of correspondence by staff at BCFC is typical and the fact that as of yet nobody has had the decency to get back to you is a disgrace

Guest RobbieTurner
I still think if that is the case, it would be impossible to get to the cardiff fans with the lines of police and stewards etc.

The telescopic poles while extended cannot hurt anyone, they are fishing rods, they are flimsy, ripping a seat up and hitting someone with it would cause more damage.

I agree with a lot said here - I think the main dissappointment should be that yet again the club could not pick up the phone in advance to let people know that the flags would not be allowed on Sunday - or a simple message on the forum from someone...?

Instead, its no discussion, you're not having the flags although we don't know why !!?!?

Sometimes, the club cannot organise a drink up in a brewery.

Archived