IGNORED

John Akinde

foghornred

:city: Peter Taylor at Wycombe Wanderers has asked City if they can keep John Akinde until the end of the season.

In my opinion we need him back after the initial 28 day loan for our push toward the play-offs when we will need him most.

Wycombe already have two of our favorites in Tommy Doc & Woody should they have three ?

:city: Peter Taylor at Wycombe Wanderers has asked City if they can keep John Akinde until the end of the season.

In my opinion we need him back after the initial 28 day loan for our push toward the play-offs when we will need him most.

Wycombe already have two of our favorites in Tommy Doc & Woody should they have three ?

Personally...if we're going to stay in the play off race till the death then i'd say no...he's better off at Wycome where he can get games week in week out. But if we slip out of the race then we're better off getting him back here and giving him some game time at championship level...to blood him in properly.

Imo the best solution would be to agree to let him stay but with a re-call option so we can bring him back if the play off's become out of reach...which ofcourse won't happen!

No, leave him at Wycombe to get experience, just because he scored 2 goals for Wycombe, doesn't mean he's ready for the championship.

We currently still have 5 better strikers at the club who are above him in the pecking order.

No, leave him at Wycombe to get experience, just because he scored 2 goals for Wycombe, doesn't mean he's ready for the championship.

Spot on.

Playing and scoring at Div 2 level is good experience for Akinde. It is after all League football and he has little experience of that so far. Its all good for City who will ultimately reap the benefits of Akinde learning his trade in the lower leagues.

Anyone on this forum who would rate Craig Woodman as one of their favourites should be certified. One of the most feeble, useless performers ever to pull on a City shirt.

Fully agree with that, didnt trust him at all when we played. Kept giving away free kicks and stupid mistakes.

For me personally one of the poorer city players i have seen.

Playing and scoring at Div 2 level is good experience for Akinde. It is after all League football and he has little experience of that so far. Its all good for City who will ultimately reap the benefits of Akinde learning his trade in the lower leagues.

I totally agree with you. He is a young player who has shown that he will have what its takes to play in the Championship when he is older and more experienced. When others retire, he will be able to come in and fill the gap. Plus he has already scored for us, on his debut. Surely that tells you something!

Anyone on this forum who would rate Craig Woodman as one of their favourites should be certified. One of the most feeble, useless performers ever to pull on a City shirt.

Fully agree with that, didnt trust him at all when we played. Kept giving away free kicks and stupid mistakes.

For me personally one of the poorer city players i have seen.

Craig Woodman performed alot more often the alot of "better" players - Luke Wilkshire for example, who for some reason is highly thought of here.

woody was alright, no need for that abuse... Never shirked a challenge, Never stopped running for the shirt. He also knocked someone out when he crossed the ball so hard once! one of my most vivid AG memories! :)

On the subject of Big Bad John... Leave him there, get him back here for a good pre-season then find a really local side where he can go on loan to( Hopefully Cheltenham stay up :fingerscrossed: ) he could train with us half the week,( keep learning off of Dele and potentially Stern) then go there towards the end of the week, and play week in week out.

that way we get dele's experience and match expereince at the same time, and when dele's knee's finally go we have a fully fit, experienced and learned player in our ranks to take the helm, well maybe anyway!

Sorry mate but never understood all the "get Woody" stuff.

Woodman was another decent player that City's coaching staff weren't able to develop properly.

Did have his moments for us despite all that. I remember him keeping Izale McLeod completely out of the game at MK Dons.He was at the National Centre of Excellence as a youngster. He seems to have fallen out with Tinion (because he was quiet?) and that was it unfortunately.

Woodman was useless. If he'd been any good Johnson would have kept him on and developed him like he did with Orr and even Myrie-Williams.

Part of Tinnion's final downfall was caused by his belief that Golbourne* and Woodman were good enough for a top league one side.

*Turns out he's on loan at Oldham now. I had to look him up.

Craig Woodman performed alot more often the alot of "better" players - Luke Wilkshire for example, who for some reason is highly thought of here.

Riaz,

"For some reason" might be that he was an impressive member of the Australian world cup team who reached the quarter finals of the last world cup, played in the top flight of Dutch football (FC Twente?)and is now playing top flight football in Russia with one of the Moscow teams. I think he has also played in top European competitions.

That seems like good enough reason to be highly thought of , although I can understand that many City fans would not have been so impressed with his perfromances while he was here. Equelly, many City fans could see his ability and that he was perhaps operating on a different wavelength than most of his teammates i.e. he was a clever footballer. I would welcome him back into our team now, that's for sure but suspect that we couldn't afford him, and that he probably wouldn't want to lower his standards to championship football.

Riaz,

"For some reason" might be that he was an impressive member of the Australian world cup team who reached the quarter finals of the last world cup, played in the top flight of Dutch football (FC Twente?)and is now playing top flight football in Russia with one of the Moscow teams. I think he has also played in top European competitions.

That seems like good enough reason to be highly thought of , although I can understand that many City fans would not have been so impressed with his perfromances while he was here. Equelly, many City fans could see his ability and that he was perhaps operating on a different wavelength than most of his teammates i.e. he was a clever footballer. I would welcome him back into our team now, that's for sure but suspect that we couldn't afford him, and that he probably wouldn't want to lower his standards to championship football.

downendcity

All those acheivements were AFTER he played for us. Whilst he was here he did bugger all and was'nt even good enough for league one - I would'nt welcome him back and I don't think he would survive in the championship, how could he? league one was hard enough for him.

I don't think he was on any different wavelength - he had his head in the sky half the time.

I'll give him his due he has played at a high level now, but I think you'll find that was a right back - Bradley orr the 2nd??

But for me woodman may have have less ability, but we saw far more from him than Luke Wilkshire.

Woodman was useless. If he'd been any good Johnson would have kept him on and developed him like he did with Orr and even Myrie-Williams.

Part of Tinnion's final downfall was caused by his belief that Golbourne* and Woodman were good enough for a top league one side.

*Turns out he's on loan at Oldham now. I had to look him up.

I agree about Golbourne, overrated, people dazzled a bit by his England Youth appearances but I'm sorry mate but I can't agree with your Woodman comments. Much as I have a soft spot for Tinman, he really didn't like Woodman, sent him off to Torquay.

Woodman was "deceptively" good, a hard defender as others have mentioned and a cultured left foot on him.

I agree about Golbourne, overrated, people dazzled a bit by his England Youth appearances but I'm sorry mate but I can't agree with your Woodman comments. Much as I have a soft spot for Tinman, he really didn't like Woodman, sent him off to Torquay.

Woodman was "deceptively" good, a hard defender as others have mentioned and a cultured left foot on him.

You're right actually I'd forgotten about Tins packing him off on loan all the time and of course he still had Bell (and Hill) to play in his first season. He only brought Woody back when Golbourne proved unready for league football.

I never really minded Woodman that much, he seemed like a decent enough lad and he wasn't terrible by any stretch of the imagination. I still think it speaks volumes that Johnson moved to replace him as soon as possible, though.

You're right actually I'd forgotten about Tins packing him off on loan all the time and of course he still had Bell (and Hill) to play in his first season. He only brought Woody back when Golbourne proved unready for league football.

I never really minded Woodman that much, he seemed like a decent enough lad and he wasn't terrible by any stretch of the imagination. I still think it speaks volumes that Johnson moved to replace him as soon as possible, though.

Shame he missed that penalty away at Boro in the FA Cup. Was that his last appearance in the BCFC first team?

I never really rated him, if I'm honest. Not a bad player, but certainly nothing very special. I'm sure he looks OK at League Two level.

Archived