IGNORED

Conceding Within Five Minutes Of Scoring.

Maesknoll Red

• Admin

Is it my imagination, or does this seem to be a more regular occurrence than in the past?

So far this season it's cost us points in four games:

City 1 Watford 1

Maynard 71. Smith 72

City 1 Burnley 2

Maynard 54(p). Paterson 57, Thompson 77

Derby 2 City 1

Porter 1, Hulse 86. Williams 83

QPR 2 City 1

Lopez 65, Taarabt 81. McIndoe 77

Whilst we'll never know the outcome if we hadn't have conceded in 5 minutes, it would point to costing us points in all those games.

Whereas, in the four games that we have scored within five minutes of conceding:

City 4 Doncaster 1

McIndoe 74. Wellens 69.

McIndoe's goal making it 3-1

Palace 4 City 1

Fonte 72. Maynard 74

Maynard's goal making it 4-2 to Palace

Watford 2 City 4

Rasiak 49. Elliott 52

Elliott's goal making it 3-1

City 2 Wolves 2

Adebola 58. Jarvis 54

Dele's goal making it 1-2 to Wolves.

It would appear that the times we have scored in quick response to conceding haven't bee so crucial, with the exception of the Wolves game.

As an aside to this, we haven't scored more than two goals, home or away since boxing day, we've only scored three once this season, (v Coventry) and four twice. (v Doncaster & v Watford). As soon as we concede, we are struggling and if conceding twice, that's resulted in eight losses, three draws and one win.

The club has made massive strides forward since GJ took over and I'm sure there is more to come, but the lack of clinical finishing, the inability to close games out and really put teams to the sword when we have possession dominance is the reason why we are likely to end up in mid table this season. Were it not for the excellent clean sheet record of the defence and Basso, we'd be looking at avoiding the drop.

GJ must be acutely aware of this issue and I'm sure is working hard to resolve it, it can't be that all strikers dry up when they join City, is there a lack of cohesive awareness between the midfield and the strikers, don't the midfielders get forward in support often enough? Many questions, I guess a lot of opinions as to the answers, here's hoping GJ finds the solution soon.

It worries me just after we score and the opposition get the ball, as I am always worried they will score straight away. I don't know why, but too often we seem to switch off for ten minutes after scoring and are very vunerable. GJ must be aware of this, and the players need to sort it out somehow.. As you have said, it has cost us a few points this season...

The club has made massive strides forward since GJ took over and I'm sure there is more to come, but the lack of clinical finishing, the inability to close games out and really put teams to the sword when we have possession dominance is the reason why we are likely to end up in mid table this season. Were it not for the excellent clean sheet record of the defence and Basso, we'd be looking at avoiding the drop.

GJ must be acutely aware of this issue and I'm sure is working hard to resolve it, it can't be that all strikers dry up when they join City, is there a lack of cohesive awareness between the midfield and the strikers, don't the midfielders get forward in support often enough? Many questions, I guess a lot of opinions as to the answers, here's hoping GJ finds the solution soon.

The conceding so soon after scoring thing is really annoying. However I do think the broader issue is that defensively we are very good & the way we are set up we are pretty hard to break down. The downside to this is that we aren't as dangerous as a lot of our rivals & I think teams feel if they can get a goal, the chances are that they will win.

I suspect that Johnson is concerned if we become more aggressive we will lose something in terms of security at the back. For me this is the next big leap we need to take. We've proved ourselves as a more than decent team at this level & next season, particularly at home I'd like to see us put teams to the sword a lot more often.

Four of the last 6 goals that City have conceded have come after the 82th min. Brum,87, Derby 86, Cardiff, 87 and QPR 83. Is that signifcant? :dunno:

It could be if you consider that prior to Brum I don't think we had conceeded a late goal all season (late being last ten mins)

Also they have all come when we have started with 5 in midfield and reverted to 4 via subs etc

• Admin
Four of the last 6 goals that City have conceded have come after the 82th min. Brum,87, Derby 86, Cardiff, 87 and QPR 83. Is that signifcant? :dunno:

It must be, but why; tiredness, inappropriate substitutions, tactical frailties or just a plain and simple lack of concentration. Could be one for the Psychologist.

City pride themselves on their hard training and giving everything in every game.

It's near the end of another long hard season ( with very little rest inbetween because of the play-offs) so perhaps with all these late goals it's not too far fetched to think that at this stage the players are simply knackered after 80 minutes.

• Admin

strangest thing is we used to be the team scoring the late goals and winning gamse, this used to be put down to the players better fitness levels, so what do we read into that !

Archived