IGNORED

Formula One 2009

nebristolred

Anyone been watching the qualifying? Seems the grid has been turned completely upside down. Button on pole, and Hamilton to start from 18th :D.

*yawns* stayed up to watch it this morning, incredible qually session, I think Button must be odds on to win the race tomorrow. good to have it back on the BBC aswell, no bloody adds to endure!

Hamilton is nowhere, going to be an extended testing session for McClaren tomorrow.

Great race, no ad breaks!!!!! And a stonking start to the season!!

Hammys been promoted to 3rd now, after a stewards enquiry, so i'd say that was a pretty immense drive from 18th on the grid.

Cant take anything away from Jenson though, he showed what he's made of today, and you could see how much it meant to a team who 5 months ago werent sure if they would even be there today.

And now Lewis Hamilton, "the best driver ever", is rubbish because somebody else has got the best car this year.

I'm not a fan.....

He was in a car only fast enough to qualify 18th (based on his team mate qualifying next to him, I think its fair to call that the pace of the car), though in a race situation he managed to drive his way to 3rd, now I didn't see it, but I'd say that's a pretty great drive; I don't know if such a feat would have been possible with the old rules and cars, maybe F1 did something right

Great race, no ad breaks!!!!! And a stonking start to the season!!

Hammys been promoted to 3rd now, after a stewards enquiry, so i'd say that was a pretty immense drive from 18th on the grid.

Cant take anything away from Jenson though, he showed what he's made of today, and you could see how much it meant to a team who 5 months ago werent sure if they would even be there today.

No doubt it was a great achievement, but I can't be the only one who finds it strange that a team who have only been in existence for weeks managed to out design the rest of the sport. I don't know if it was a case of Honda (I believe its still a Honda, just under a new name) thinking along the lines of, if we can't redesign this car as one of the best, we're not playing anymore...oh look what we did; yep of course we're in, ermmm 'Brawn GP'

I just can't see how otherwise a team with 4 weeks to meet all the new regulations came out best

And now Lewis Hamilton, "the best driver ever", is rubbish because somebody else has got the best car this year.

I'm not a fan.....

Gearbox failure, hardly his fault.

From starting in 18th to then get to the podium is a great achievement even by his standards

Guest MaloneFM

Two more words for you

CHRIS MARTIN

Never mind the fact he's married to that whiney American Zellwiger and he's got that whiney pop group Radiohead the lad knows how to lob a car about. See that bloody great hubcap he got at the end?

Must have come off on the roundabout...

No doubt it was a great achievement, but I can't be the only one who finds it strange that a team who have only been in existence for weeks managed to out design the rest of the sport. I don't know if it was a case of Honda (I believe its still a Honda, just under a new name) thinking along the lines of, if we can't redesign this car as one of the best, we're not playing anymore...oh look what we did; yep of course we're in, ermmm 'Brawn GP'

I just can't see how otherwise a team with 4 weeks to meet all the new regulations came out best

It's the same car Honda were going to use for this season before they went defunct. The reason it's better than what anyone else has at the moment is because last season, realising they had a s**t car instead of throwing money at that they spent it developing the one you see Button in now. I expect them to carry on this form for the first few races but then I can see the other teams catching up with them pretty quickly.

Lewis has now been stripped of all points from the austrailian grand prix...the FIA are at it again! May aswell not even bother because after such a great drive from the back of the grid they still try and penalise him and to think some people complain about the FA

I know it's sad and unpatriotic and despite it being a very good race by Hamilton (even though luck played a part to some extent) I'm actually pleased that he has been penalised as I detest him (for his arrogance and smugness), his father (for being the worst hanger on ever) and Mclaren and as far as I'm concerned as long as they keep underachieving it will make for a much better championship. Although I have no doubt that eventually they will soon sort their car problems out and start winning races again.

I'm not a fan.....

To be fair, I can't think of any great driver who has ever performed well in a poor car, apart from possibly Schumi with Ferrari in 96, and Senna when he first started.

To be fair, they've had more than 4 weeks, and more than everyone else in fact. Essentially they're still Honda, who gave up last year when they found out they had a **** car, and began development on this car a year early, so they've had a LOT more time on the car than the rest, hence the pace. Jenson's always deserved a good car though.

I know it's sad and unpatriotic and despite it being a very good race by Hamilton (even though luck played a part to some extent) I'm actually pleased that he has been penalised as I detest him (for his arrogance and smugness), his father (for being the worst hanger on ever) and Mclaren and as far as I'm concerned as long as they keep underachieving it will make for a much better championship. Although I have no doubt that eventually they will soon sort their car problems out and start winning races again.

That's S...maker and Ferrerraarraiirii your on about

A few reasons Brawn are good, all have been mentioned - firstly that car has been in developed over the last 15 months, secondly the rule changes have shaken it up a bit and thirdly Ross Brawn really is the man. And yes they do have two good drivers - Piquet and Kovalianen could sit in that car as long as they liked - they'd still go backwards/be rubbish/drive off the track.

All that said still to go from the back of the grid to the front is quite amazing - especially when the staff have been unsure of their jobs and the future of the team. It's one hell of an achievement to keep the development going over the winter especially as their track testing was delayed by an awful lot.

Someone said a few months back they didn't know if they'd be driving...try a few weeks back. The takeover was completed early March.

They're out on top for now but Ferrari already have the pace to challenge them (despite not scoring they were quick in Melbourne - they'd already run the super softs and could easily have challenged. Vettel, Kubica and Rosberg are also well placed to challenge IF the Brawn's don't have anything more left. In Australia Jenson was had a bit in hand despite the bad pit-stop and safety cars. If they have more to squeeze then they're better than BMW, Red Bull and Williams. If Australia was the best they have to offer then those three good drivers will be a serious challenge.

Finally - the Hamilton thing is silly. Appeals and deductions take away the enjoyment for fans. That said, if Hamilton and McLaren have deliberately mislead the stewards then you can't just let them get away with it. Wonder if we'll ever know.

Guest MaloneFM
That said, if Hamilton and McLaren have deliberately mislead the stewards then you can't just let them get away with it. Wonder if we'll ever know.

They didn't we do. He has been disqualified and is very annoyed about it. Seems he was told what to say and went along with it.

Can a driver jump ship this early in the season?

Lewis has now been stripped of all points from the austrailian grand prix...the FIA are at it again! May aswell not even bother because after such a great drive from the back of the grid they still try and penalise him and to think some people complain about the FA

Um, that's what happens when you cheat. Entirely correct ruling.

What a shame the race has been red flagged. I cant see it being restarted though I have driven in worse. :noexpression:

Oh well, its another win for our Jensen.

Yeah mixed feelings about this one. Delighted with the win but disappointed with half points as I really think he'd have gone on to win it. Start aside he had a fantastic race. Fighting to re-gain the lead in the first corner was maybe not wise but shows his desire to win and fight for everything. His move on Alonso was great and crucial - he passed him so quickly and others couldn't thus opening up a lovely margin. Glock was clearly flyings on the intermediates and so for JB to come out ahead with the extra stop was pretty special and I think he'd have disappeared off in to the distance had the race continued.

Still, you take it and desperately hope he can further it next race. I STILL think Ferrari's have the ability to win races this season. I desperately hope they keep getting it wrong and JB can open up a significant gap. 2 races (one and a half in points terms) is nothing and one tiny mistake/bit of bad luck/car trouble in 2 weeks time could see a host of drivers pass him in the championship so it's important to keep calm and keep pressing on (and if he does keep winning races just hope that those beneath him change each week!)

Ferrari got it all wrong today. Horrific weekend for them:

Fire extinguisher goes off in Kimi's car.

Massa fails to qualify from Q1.

Commit suicide by sending they're only car in the points out on wet tyres on a dry track, so early that when it rains, the tyres are in pieces.

Kimi decides to walk off with a coke and ice cream whilst the other drivers are still in their cars awaiting a restart.

And Massa's engineer calling him baby :D.

Fire extinguisher goes off in Kimi's car.

That was the KERS battery catching fire.

They don't have fire extinguishers in, why do you think the track marshals have to run over when they do catch fire? They have to hurry as well because the bodywork is apparently highly flammable.

That was the KERS battery catching fire.

They don't have fire extinguishers in, why do you think the track marshals have to run over when they do catch fire? They have to hurry as well because the bodywork is apparently highly flammable.

Nah, apparently there was a small spark from the KERS which activated the fire extinguisher in his cockpit.

Finally the FIA make a decision I agree with.

Roll on this weekends race!

Very true. I'm finding it had to take anything at face value at the moment, everything seems subject to appeals etc! I think Lewis's reputation has been tarnished too, I can't quite see him in the same light now. I'm really glad Jenson is getting his chance with a decent set up behind him, local (ish) lad and all that.

Did you see Toyota trying to shield the back end of their car from Brundle on the last grid walk, very funny viewing it was!

Bloody hilarious that was, definitely ranks up there amongst my favourite grid walk moments! Am hoping someone puts it on the Tube of You so that we can all watch it again and again.

Yeah I hate to say it but I'm not happy with things that have happened relating to Lewis this season either, and as you say its great that Jenson finally has a car that works behind him, and can show just what a talent he is.

Long may it continue!

Archived