IGNORED

Formula One 2009

nebristolred

• Admin
When Somerset's finest lifts the world championship, I fully expect him to be granted the bcfc honorary vice presidency.

If Tresco can get it for the ashes, then Jenson will deserve the honorary chaimanship as well!

But Tresco is a City fan. Jenson supports Arsenal.

This year is really hurting F1. Before you could kind of believe the best drivers got the best race seats therefore wion more. But with Button and Barrichello dominating it puts a massive questionmark on the last few years achievements.

I'd be interested why you think its hurting F1, for me this season has been better than usual because its so unpredictable. It shows that with the right car, Jenson is a bloody good driver, and also that you can stick one of last seasons best drivers (going by the fact Lewis won the championship) in a crap car, and the only place he's going is backwards.

I hated the years of Ferrari dominance, and I for one am enjoying watching some of the other teams now doing well.

for me this season has been better than usual because its so unpredictable.

Unpredictable? Hmmm, yes. Jenson winning pretty much every race?! Yes, very unpredictable.

Personally, I think it's hypocritical to hate Schumacher/Ferrari for their continued dominance, and then be happy to see Button/Brawn winning every race just because he's British.

Unpredictable? Hmmm, yes. Jenson winning pretty much every race?! Yes, very unpredictable.

Personally, I think it's hypocritical to hate Schumacher/Ferrari for their continued dominance, and then be happy to see Button/Brawn winning every race just because he's British.

I don't think you can hate a club/sportsman for their dominance but you can hate their dominance. You had to respect Schumi and Ferrari just as you can respect Man United but you can still want it to end. And if Hull got 1/3 of the way through next season winning most games then you'd still find it pretty cool and "unpredictable".

Also, Schumacher had more qualities to dislike than JB. Personally I found Schumi ok but he wasn't short of controversy - knocking Hill off the track in 1994 and of course the Villenueve incident that got him the ban. JB has always been modest, fair and funny - even when things weren't going well.

Another point about the dominance and unpredictability - even though JB has won 5 of 6 it has been far harder to call than some of the Schumacher dominance. Red Bull may well actually have the better car and Vettel is a super driver, Barrichello has had good pace and had realistic shouts, Ferrari are closing quickly etc. The last few races suggest the Brawns have updated the car with great success but I wouldn't be THAT shocked if Button won only one or two more races this season or even none. Barrichello will win some for sure, Vettel could be the fastest on the grid if it wasn't for driver error, engine failure and bad strategy (all of which have cost him in different races this season) and both Ferraris are getting there if still a little off the pace. I wouldn't be overly surprised if Turkey sees Ferraris and Red Bulls take the top four for instance. Oh, and due to Barrichello's good performance and the half points in Malaysia the gap isn't that big.

This year is really hurting F1. Before you could kind of believe the best drivers got the best race seats therefore wion more. But with Button and Barrichello dominating it puts a massive questionmark on the last few years achievements.

Nothing has changed - the better cars have always dominated.

People point at Jenson as though a bad driver is suddenly cheating his way to success in a good car. He's always been a very good driver - this guy finished 3rd in the championship back in 2004. Take the Ferrari's out of the equation that year (and they were totally dominant that year winning 15 of 18 races) he was by quite some way the best driver.

Since his first 2 rookie years he's always outshone his team-mates. That includes bettering a former world champion Jacques Villeneueve, Barrichello has finished 2nd in two championships, Trulli and Sato. Last season was a disaster and Barrichello (for the first time in 3 years) outscored JB but in the races both drivers finished Jenson actually finished better.

Jenson Button has always been a potential world champion crawling around in a sub-standard car. He's finally got the wheels to prove what he's worth and has made no mistake showing his talent. Although I don't expect him to carry on like he has been I just hope he can do enough to grab the championship he thoroughly deserves.

Edit - Just to add that you can still see the better drivers and the championship reflects it.

Jenson is better than Barrichello

Hamilton is better than Kovalainen

Alonso is better than Piquet

Vettel is better than Webber

Rosberg is better than Nakajima etc.

The only team with two very similar drivers is Ferrari and while Kubica has had a disasterous season so far I think he's better than Heidfeld.

For what it's worth in driver talent I'd put them like this with the better drivers in each group being at the front:

(Potential) title winning drivers, best of the bunch - Button = Hamilton = Vettel = Alonso (best four), Rosberg, Raikkonen, Massa, Kubica

Good drivers - Barrichello, Heidfeld, Webber

Not great/unknown - Trulli, Glock, Sutil, Fisichella, Buemi^, Bordais

Poor - Kovalainen

Awful, rubbish, disaster zones - Piquet, Nakajima

^- Too early to tell but he could actually be really quite good. You never know he could win titles in the future.

Also, Schumacher had more qualities to dislike than JB.

I'd actually disagree with that. I loved Schumi for his arrogance, and for his ruthless win at all costs attitude - as unpopular an opinion as that is in this country. He was arrogant and with very good reason. In my opinion Button has oozed arrogance from the moment he arrived in the sport and with very little to show for it before this season. That's why I don't like him - as unpopular an opinion as that is in this country.

I'd actually disagree with that. I loved Schumi for his arrogance, and for his ruthless win at all costs attitude - as unpopular an opinion as that is in this country. He was arrogant and with very good reason. In my opinion Button has oozed arrogance from the moment he arrived in the sport and with very little to show for it before this season. That's why I don't like him - as unpopular an opinion as that is in this country.

Button's never had an arrogance about him. When he wins he praises the car, when he's lucky he says so, when the team does a good job he is always very quick to praise his teammate and team staff. When he plants it in the wall he doesn't storm off and sulk but stands in front of the cameras and admits it and tries to smile through it.

Button is very similar to Gerhard Berger and to some extent Eddie Irvine - the rest of the pitlane seems to like him. I say Irvine to some extent because he did have a habit of driving in to people and got punched by Senna for it...but once he'd calmed down people seemed to like him. JB hasn't got the arrogance of Hamilton, the sulk of Alonso or the dullness of Kimi. Oh, and I quite like Hamilton to do well.

Im with Percy here, Button has never failed to seem anything but completely over the moon on the radio to his pit crew after he has won each of his races, and says thankyou to them all as well.

Schui, now that was arrogant. (in my opinion) Like he think he deserved everything he got.

I do love everyones different viewpoints on this sport, not taking the mick by saying that in the least.

Im sure theres one thing we can agree on though, Eddie Jordan has got to go!

Archived