IGNORED

Saints In Admin

4eveREDDy

Southampton Leisure Holdings, the company which owns Southampton Football Club, will enter administration this morning according to the Daily Mail.

The deadline for going into administration without risking starting next season with a points penalty was last week, but the Saints look set to avoid an automatic 10-point penalty as it is not the club itself that is going under.

Southampton are currently second-bottom in the Championship table, three points adrift from safety with a game in hand, and according to the paper will make the announcement to the Alternative Investment Market today.

Southampton Leisure Holdings, the company which owns Southampton Football Club, will enter administration this morning according to the Daily Mail.

The deadline for going into administration without risking starting next season with a points penalty was last week, but the Saints look set to avoid an automatic 10-point penalty as it is not the club itself that is going under.

Southampton are currently second-bottom in the Championship table, three points adrift from safety with a game in hand, and according to the paper will make the announcement to the Alternative Investment Market today.

So is this Southamption basically finding a loophold around the deduction by having a parent company going into Admin rather than the club itself? Although technically in my eyes its all the same thing but sounds like the Saints have managed to get around this whole points deduction thing the sneaky barstewards!

Wrong. It applies this season if it would affect promotion/relegation this season, which clearly it would.

Presumably they wait until the end of the season to decide?

At the moment, Southampton are in the relegation zone anyway, so deducting 10 points wouldn't change that. My reading of it is, that they'll only deduct the ten points this season if Southampton are outside the relegation zone by less than ten points at the end of the season.

That's just my interpretation of it, though.

Presumably they wait until the end of the season to decide?

At the moment, Southampton are in the relegation zone anyway, so deducting 10 points wouldn't change that. My reading of it is, that they'll only deduct the ten points this season if Southampton are outside the relegation zone by less than ten points at the end of the season.

That's just my interpretation of it, though.

Thats right.

They should also be made to play under the name "Southampton Leisure Holdings FC" for their crafty work in trying to avoid the points deduction.

P.S. Is this an April Fools attempt? Can't find a single link to this story anywhere.

Guest ashtonyate

Southampton was a good second tear prem side for years the only thing I can see they done wrong was build a new stadium to me that was there down fall.

That's why I think our Club should be very careful, in Lansdown we trust but what happen when he is not there.

Its all right showing plans of the new stadium it all looks great,but until someone

come out and gives an assurance that the club will never be put at risk over the debt of the stadium I will give it a thumbs down.

So is this Southamption basically finding a loophold around the deduction by having a parent company going into Admin rather than the club itself? Although technically in my eyes its all the same thing but sounds like the Saints have managed to get around this whole points deduction thing the sneaky barstewards!

I think that's pretty much how the BCFC companies are structured these days as well. Ultimately, if the parent company goes under then the football club will inevitably follow, so the avoidance of the points deduction this season is only delaying the inevitable.

Incidentally, Southampton's problems all seem to stem from the building of a large new stadium which they simply couldn't afford. Does that alarm anybody?

I think that's pretty much how the BCFC companies are structured these days as well. Ultimately, if the parent company goes under then the football club will inevitably follow, so the avoidance of the points deduction this season is only delaying the inevitable.

Incidentally, Southampton's problems all seem to stem from the building of a large new stadium which they simply couldn't afford. Does that alarm anybody?

It's a sobering thought, no doubt. However when the Stains went ahead with St Mary's they were an established top flight club & prob thought that's where they were going to stay. Whilst there are many tales of the new ground being a catalyst to success (Swansea, Hull etc) there are other less shining e.g's such as Darlington.

I'd like to think Lansdown et al are bright enough & grounded enough not to make the new stadium are downfall. However i do have a concern about us getting crowds of < 15K in a stadium that can hold 30K, with a pretty dire atmosphere as a result.

I'd like to think Lansdown et al are bright enough & grounded enough not to make the new stadium are downfall. However i do have a concern about us getting crowds of < 15K in a stadium that can hold 30K, with a pretty dire atmosphere as a result.

I share your hope regarding our current board. However, I also wonder whether our plans for a new stadium, which first surfaced at the AGM held in late 2007 when we looked a good bet for automatic promotion, were made in the hope/expectation that we would soon be in the Premier League. If so, the costs involved in building a new stadium will be very difficult to justify while we are still in the Championship.

How about we help them out with 500k and they give us Surman and Adam Lallana. -_-

IMO thats exactly how we should be thinking.......we should be hovering around these troubled clubs like vultures ready to snap up any players who suit our needs at knockdown prices (worth a try at least) all is fair in love & football

It's a sobering thought, no doubt. However when the Stains went ahead with St Mary's they were an established top flight club & prob thought that's where they were going to stay. Whilst there are many tales of the new ground being a catalyst to success (Swansea, Hull etc) there are other less shining e.g's such as Darlington.

Neither Hull or Swansea actually spent money on their stadiums, and neither of those clubs own the stadium they play in.

Either way...they are s**t and points deduction or not, are going down!
3 points off of survival with a game in hand suggests they still have a chance. Will be a shame to see them go down as it's a fairly local game.

Southampton was a good second tear prem side for years the only thing I can see they done wrong was build a new stadium to me that was there down fall.

That's why I think our Club should be very careful, in Lansdown we trust but what happen when he is not there.

Its all right showing plans of the new stadium it all looks great,but until someone

come out and gives an assurance that the club will never be put at risk over the debt of the stadium I will give it a thumbs down.

The sad thing is St. Mary's isn't even that good a stadium... it's in a cr*p location and looks like a flat-pack shed

To get yourself into this much trouble for a stadium like that is disappointing - I'd be thoroughly depressed if I were a Saints fan.

In my experience, they're a decent club with a nice bunch of fans. I really hope they stay up. Send Plymouth down. Can't stand that place. The points about new stadium and pressure on finance is indeed a really valid and eye-opening one. Nothing worse than a half empty stadium. For what it's worth, I'd hate to see any club (outside of the Premier League especially) go out of business.

They should also be made to play under the name "Southampton Leisure Holdings FC" for their crafty work in trying to avoid the points deduction.

Maybe not. Think back to the early 80's. When Bristol City Football Club (1982) Limited was formed, many people in football (and some Rovers fans) angrily suggested this was a brand new club and should start from the bottom again, not carry on playing what had been Bristol City F C's fixture list. I have some family in Soton and last time there we walked past some luxury apartments. I was asked if I knew where I was and I didn't "This was The Dell" i was told. I felt really sad having seen George Best score a hat trick there, Ron Davies, Jimmy Paine, Mick Channon, Bobby Stokes and others holding their own in the top div for many years etc. I hope Pompey fans don't gloat eother. 30 years ago they had dropped into Div 4, playing in front of only a few thou in a dillapidated Fratton Park and in danger of bankruptcy.

30 years ago they had dropped into Div 4, playing in front of only a few thou in a dillapidated Fratton Park and in danger of bankruptcy.

Can now be updated to ...

"Currently playing in the Premier League, playing in front of only a few more thou in a dillapidated Fratton Park and in danger of bankruptcy."

OOps I got the names muddled, but hey ho!

Meanwhile at 5.00pm on Sky Sports News they stated Saints might not last the season. If they don't their record will be expunged, so all points gained from matches against them plus goals scored and conceded will be deleted from all other clyub's records. Anyone who's done the double over the Saints will lose 6 points, whereas if the Saints had done the double over you your goal difference will improve.

Wolves lose 3pts down to 74pts, Brum 6 = 66, Reading 1 = 67, Sheff U 4 = 62, Burnley 3 = 65, Cardiff 3 = 60, PNE nil = 61, Swansea 4 = 54, City 3 = 55, Ipswich 1 = 55 and QPR 4 = 52; so we climb one place over Swansea.

OOps I got the names muddled, but hey ho!

Meanwhile at 5.00pm on Sky Sports News they stated Saints might not last the season. If they don't their record will be expunged, so all points gained from matches against them plus goals scored and conceded will be deleted from all other clyub's records. Anyone who's done the double over the Saints will lose 6 points, whereas if the Saints had done the double over you your goal difference will improve.

Wolves lose 3pts down to 74pts, Brum 6 = 66, Reading 1 = 67, Sheff U 4 = 62, Burnley 3 = 65, Cardiff 3 = 60, PNE nil = 61, Swansea 4 = 54, City 3 = 55, Ipswich 1 = 55 and QPR 4 = 52; so we climb one place over Swansea.

City did the double over the Saints.........

Archived