IGNORED

My Team

terjon

My team - Time to bed in Wilson and Styver for next season and maybe Akinde when his loan spell is up.

3-5-2

Basso

J Wilson

Carey

Fonts

Orr

Williams

Skuse

Marv

MacAlistair

Styver

Maynard

Bench - McCombe, McIndoe, Trundle, Dele, Henderson

Wheres the link between defence and attack? McCombe is a fantastic defender, but has a terrible habit of lumping it. Bar fontaine the others have too.

Youre right about McCombe. Orr's distribution is poor at times as well. I think Carey is more than capable of playing a bit as well as Fontaine.

I would like to think Williams would be the one to pick the ball up off the defence and try to feed the forwards. I think he is more than capable of doing that. Like you said though if the defence just lump it then it doesnt matter who is in the center,they would be totally bipassed anyway.

Whilst that wouldnt be my team i personally don't think that team would resort to lumping it anymore than we do now with LJ as the so say link man!

Youre right about McCombe. Orr's distribution is poor at times as well. I think Carey is more than capable of playing a bit as well as Fontaine.

I would like to think Williams would be the one to pick the ball up off the defence and try to feed the forwards. I think he is more than capable of doing that. Like you said though if the defence just lump it then it doesnt matter who is in the center,they would be totally bipassed anyway.

Whilst that wouldnt be my team i personally don't think that team would resort to lumping it anymore than we do now with LJ as the so say link man!

I don't rate LJ highly by any means, but we miss him when he does not play. Maybe Williams would track back and take the ball off the defence, but its not something that i've ever seen him do?? but who knows?

I don't rate LJ highly by any means, but we miss him when he does not play. Maybe Williams would track back and take the ball off the defence, but its not something that i've ever seen him do?? but who knows?

Why does anyone need to be employed to take the ball off defence as 'business as usual'?

What other teams have a LJ person?

Usually, a defensive midfielder does that sort of thing, but we have defenders capable of bringing the ball out themselves (some of them anyway)

Why does anyone need to be employed to take the ball off defence as 'business as usual'?

Usually, a defensive midfielder does that sort of thing, but we have defenders capable of bringing the ball out themselves (some of them anyway)

Other teams do:

Frank Lampard does it for Chelsea, Stevie G or Xabi Alonso do it for Liverpool, Scholes or Fletcher etc for Man Utd - some examples off the top of my head.

I'll be the first to admit that Lee Johnson could do more, but we miss him when he does not play. Thats been evident in the past. Stoke away first half last season springs to mind.

Williams isnt a defensive midfielder but then neither is LJ. Elliott and Skuse would carry out that role.I have seen Williams pick up the ball in his own half loads of times but IMO i don't think he would need to in that team.There is absolutely no reason why Elliott or Skuse couldnt take the ball off the back 4 if thats whats needed and then let Williams take over in the center of the pitch!

Like you say the crucial part would be the defenders and how they choose/or how the manager tells them to distribute the ball.

Hmm. Good question: what other teams do have 'a LJ person'?

Well he sits in front of the defence, picks the ball up off the defenders and plays short passes side to side. He switches play, and occasionally hits those long searching balls out to the wing. But can't head and can't tackle.

Sounds a bit like Paul Scholes at ManYoo and Xabi Alonso at Liverpool. And they both seem to be doing alright.

Now, not saying he's in the same league as them (literally, he's in the one below), and I'm by no means his biggest fan, but you have to admit they're similar players. The biggest difference is that they both have a shot on them.

Hmm. Good question: what other teams do have 'a LJ person'?

Well he sits in front of the defence, picks the ball up off the defenders and plays short passes side to side. He switches play, and occasionally hits those long searching balls out to the wing. But can't head and can't tackle.

Sounds a bit like Paul Scholes at ManYoo and Xabi Alonso at Liverpool. And they both seem to be doing alright.

Now, not saying he's in the same league as them (literally, he's in the one below), and I'm by no means his biggest fan, but you have to admit they're similar players. The biggest difference is that they both have a shot on them.

Sorry but I don't agree - accepting Scholes and Alonso are at a higher standard, they both offer goal threats and play effectively higher up the field.

Alonso also tackles effectively.

The nearest player I can think of to LJ was Deschamps.

Other teams do:

Frank Lampard does it for Chelsea, Stevie G or Xabi Alonso do it for Liverpool, Scholes or Fletcher etc for Man Utd - some examples off the top of my head.

I'll be the first to admit that Lee Johnson could do more, but we miss him when he does not play. Thats been evident in the past. Stoke away first half last season springs to mind.

Scholes Lampard and Gerard are effective all over the pitch.

I think LJ is a luxury, and if we miss him when he doesn't play then we should recruit someone who can combine the link role with putting in a shift further up the field and offer more of a physical challenge to the opposition.

How many games has he missed this season?

Scholes Lampard and Gerard are effective all over the pitch.

I think LJ is a luxury, and if we miss him when he doesn't play then we should recruit someone who can combine the link role with putting in a shift further up the field and offer more of a physical challenge to the opposition.

How many games has he missed this season?

Firstly yes those players are effective all over the pitch - thats why they play at the very top level.

LJ's position is probabaly one we could improve on, but at the moment, with the players we got we would miss him unless Gavin Williams could adapt his game??

LJ does not miss many games - another reason why the manager rates him so highly? reliable and always available for selection.

If there were really nothing to play for then

Weale

Wilson Carey McCallister

Sproule Elliott Skuse Trundle

Williams

Styvaar Akinde

Why?

Alot of players have something to prove. Weale, Sproule, Trundle, Styvaar and Akinde. Wilson to blood him. Elliott and Skuse to see if that works with Williams playing just in front. Trundle given some freedom to roam.

Those left out have all played loads of games and we know what they are about so what would be the point? Let others get some experience and the remainders stake their claim.

1. Basso

rb. Orr

cb. Wilson

CB Fonts

lb Macallister

MF - Williams

MF - Elliot

MF - Johnson

FW - Maynard

FW - John

FW Sproule

Subs:

Trundle

Mcindoe

Skuse

Mccombe

Styvver

We play much better football with this formation without Adebola. Maynard did his best stuff playing in a 4 4 3 with John. Adebola is great as a lone striker in a 4-5-1 but time to go back to this.

Wilson deserves his chance and i don't rate McCombe.

Sorry but I don't agree - accepting Scholes and Alonso are at a higher standard, they both offer goal threats and play effectively higher up the field.

Alonso also tackles effectively.

The nearest player I can think of to LJ was Deschamps.

As you say, they can also play effectively up the field - see the point I made about shooting - but they invariably don't. For both Liverpool and ManYoo they act as sitting players (Carrick is very similar for ManYoo, too).

And see also Barry and Lampard for England recently. They are not overly defensive midfielders, such as Mascherano, Hargreaves or Roy Keane, they are sitting midfielders who take the ball from the defence and try to open the midfield up, finding gaps and spreading the play. This is the job LJ does.

And I am by no means saying he's the best in the world at it - there are plenty of areas of his game he could improve: corners, free-kicks, heading, shooting and (as Alan Hansen would put it) 'percentages' - too often he takes risks around the edge of his own box.

why do anything drastic?

Just because we are arguably out of this seasons promotion doesn't mean we should stop playing our strongest line up.

Personally the only changes should be those that will not be here next season(Trundle, sproule (probably) mccombe :fingerscrossed: and maybe dele) should be dropped completely, and those that will be challenging next season( you'd expect Wilson to be the natural replacement for mccombe( who is gash)) to come into the side.

GJ should have a reasonable idea about next seasons tactics, the transfers he wants and areas we will need strengthening, so he should be getting in as much game time with the players that are integeral next season Now!

these now effectively become pre pre season, so we have the opportunity to get people used to any new ideas GJ has( he must have a couple up his sleeve surely)

I see the need for a holding midfielder, all the top sides have one, in Liverpool's case at times, 2 ie Alonso and Mascherano earlier in the season.

An example of a fine team who used one to excellent effect that springs to mind? Spain in Euro 2008. Excellent footballing side, the likes of Xavi, Fabregas,. Iniesta, Silva from midfield, Alonso coming off the bench to shore things up. But they had one, who was something of an unsung hero. Marcos Senna. Did a hell of a lot of work that was not glamourous or hyped, but was vital and allowed the aforementioned players to do their stuff further up the pitch.

But given that we don't have players of that calibre, 4-3-3 I think, back to the formation and team which won at Reading with the odd change:

Basso

Orr

Carey

Fontaine

McCallister

Skuse

Williams

Elliott

Sproule

Maynard

McIndoe

I think that GJ should risk something more... not at the beginning of the match,because we need equilibrium, but when we are 1-0 and we need to close the match.

For example, changing during the match ...if McIndoe (or Sproule) is tired,he could give a chance to Trundle (not for 3 minutes..) ... and IF we had Noble... -_-

why do anything drastic?

Just because we are arguably out of this seasons promotion doesn't mean we should stop playing our strongest line up.

Personally the only changes should be those that will not be here next season(Trundle, sproule (probably) mccombe :fingerscrossed: and maybe dele) should be dropped completely, and those that will be challenging next season( you'd expect Wilson to be the natural replacement for mccombe( who is gash)) to come into the side.

GJ should have a reasonable idea about next seasons tactics, the transfers he wants and areas we will need strengthening, so he should be getting in as much game time with the players that are integeral next season Now!

these now effectively become pre pre season, so we have the opportunity to get people used to any new ideas GJ has( he must have a couple up his sleeve surely)

I think McCombe gets some unfair stick. My 1st choice pairing would be Carey & Fontaine. However he is useful to have whenthe opposition have a monster upfront. I don't think Carey or Fonts would have played Parkin as well as McCombe did on Sat.

My team versus. Forest would be:

Basso

Willo McCombe Fonts

Sproule Gavin Skusee Marv McIndoe

Maynard Styvar

Perhaps try out the likes of Ribs, Artus, Plummer, Stambolsiev ect.

I think Willo is already for the step up.

No, haven't you heard, Jennison Myrie-Willo has got a free transfer. :doh:

Or did you mean Brian Willo?

Gavin Willo?

Maybe Willo the Wisp, Lee Johnson?

Or even some other Willo perhaps? :dunno::devil:

I think McCombe gets some unfair stick. My 1st choice pairing would be Carey & Fontaine. However he is useful to have whenthe opposition have a monster upfront. I don't think Carey or Fonts would have played Parkin as well as McCombe did on Sat.

I think there is no room at this level of football(the self proclaimed 6th best league in the world) for players with such little talent. there is no excuse for his lack of composure and thought on the ball, why he and mccalister feel the need to play a 70 yard ball EVERY time they recieve possession is beyond me, especially when the ever present option offerer sitting in front of them. NO excuses.

He quite simply isnt good enough for this league, never has been. he does offer s threat in the opposition box, but i'd much rather he occasionally nullified the threat from the opposition in our box.

the day he leaves us is a positive day for the club, as with his departure a very significant part of our HOOF ball will disapeer too. I'm not slagging off how good he was in league 1, but carey and fontaine are up there as the best partnership in our league IMO, we need someone who can challenge them, not someone who weakens us considerably when he plays.

all opinions of course

I think there is no room at this level of football(the self proclaimed 6th best league in the world) for players with such little talent. there is no excuse for his lack of composure and thought on the ball, why he and mccalister feel the need to play a 70 yard ball EVERY time they recieve possession is beyond me, especially when the ever present option offerer sitting in front of them. NO excuses.

He quite simply isnt good enough for this league, never has been. he does offer s threat in the opposition box, but i'd much rather he occasionally nullified the threat from the opposition in our box.

the day he leaves us is a positive day for the club, as with his departure a very significant part of our HOOF ball will disapeer too. I'm not slagging off how good he was in league 1, but carey and fontaine are up there as the best partnership in our league IMO, we need someone who can challenge them, not someone who weakens us considerably when he plays.

all opinions of course

What a load of rubbish. He may be poor with his distribution - no doubt. But to say he is not good enough for this level is just a shocking statement. He's more than held his own at this level - He had Peter Crouch in his pocket at fratton park. Brilliant defender.

To say Carey & Fontaine are better is a fair statement - one I probabaly agree with. But there seems to be a tendancy to exaggerate on this forum when making a point. McCombe not being good enough for this level is a massive exaggeration.

What a load of rubbish. He may be poor with his distribution - no doubt. But to say he is not good enough for this level is just a shocking statement. He's more than held his own at this level - He had Peter Crouch in his pocket at fratton park. Brilliant defender.

To say Carey & Fontaine are better is a fair statement - one I probabaly agree with. But there seems to be a tendancy to exaggerate on this forum when making a point. McCombe not being good enough for this level is a massive exaggeration.

alright. maybe a bit ott. But, at this level there needs to be a package. Mccombe is an good League 1 defender, and an average and prone to error Championship one. thats not an insult, average championship sides need average chamionship players. But would you personally have him in your side week in week out? would you tolerate him bringing the ball down and aimlessly lumping it 100 foot in the air? No doubt he is good in the air, but In my opinion that positive is FAR outweighed by his shocking ability to pass the football.

how many defenders can you thiink of at this level that are so basic like him? it's about ruthlessness. we cannot afford a player who will dictate our style of play, especially when we all know the long ball game does not work for us.

But if were looking to progress at/from this level McCombe is one of the players we need to replace.

Archived