IGNORED

Strange Comments From Johnson Re. Youth

dezgimed

Get Artus back from Cheltenham and put him in. They've got no chance of staying up and he's done a good job there. If he's worthy of a new contract, he's worthy of a start in a nothing game.

For the millionth time, an outfield player can't be recalled in his first month.

Guest bristol_stu

probally get slated for this but is it johnsons lack of forsight, stubborness to evolve the team with real quality . A mixture of x prem and youth now for me this squad is at the end of the rd

Shame you missed out the other bit of the interview when he said "which youngsters? the two closest are both injured (Wilson and Riberio), Artus - he's not ready for first team yet and Akinde is out on loan" - he then went on to say he gave a rocket to some of the players and he wants to see their reactions in the next few games - if they don't they are on their bikes.

So we have 4 meaningless games to go - let's put the youngsters in. "We haven't got any" says GJ. What's the bloody point of having an Academy then!!!!!!!!

So we have 4 meaningless games to go - let's put the youngsters in. "We haven't got any" says GJ. What's the bloody point of having an Academy then!!!!!!!!

That's one of the strangest comments I've heard from GJ and frankly I'm a bit worried.

I'd agree that high pressure games aren't the time to bring in inexperienced players, but these last four games are the PERFECT time for new blood. I don't think anyone in their right mind would throw in a handful of reserves in one match and it would be unprofessional to do that anyway. That would be totally disrespectful to clubs who's own fate depends on our results. What we should be doing is have a couple on the bench and give them a run out for 20 or 30 mins at the end.

Danny Wilson c***ed up by ignoring Lita and that deservedly cost him his job. I'm not suggesting for one minute that the same should happen to GJ, but if we're looking at potential problems for him in the future, this could be one of them. We aren't a club with big buying power, so our Academy should be our lifeblood and if we aren't going to use it, it's costing us about a £mill per year that could be diverted to transfer fees.

I think it's fair to say GJ is too cautious with trying out the youth of this club, which is why the teams average age is quite high. If you're good enough, you're old enough. If they are good enough, then sorry GJ, but you are wrong and if they aren't good enough, it looks like the Academy has failed. If young players get the message that they'll come up agaist a brick wall if they sign for City, they'll stick two fingers up to us and sign for a club that will give them a chance to show what they can do BEFORE THEY HIT THEIR TWENTIES!

Man U, Arsenal, etc, are happy to give young players a chance in the high pressure world of the Prem, so why can't we do it in a few 'nothing' CCC games at the end of the season? I for one was looking forward to cheering on the occasional youngster in the next few games, but if that's not going to be happening, I'll just be glad to get the season over with, rather than looking forward to those games.

No game can be a totally 'nothing' game, what about playing for pride. Are the players still proud to wear the shirt, fight for the shirt? Do they still want to be motivated, have they still the hunger.

Yes they may be disappointed that the season has been ended by a team who behaved unsportingly.But as a fan I'm disappointed too. They can leave and find new challenges from another club, I can't! I want to be proud of them, and I am for what they have done this season, but i want to look ahead as I have said in another thread.

The injuries and suspensions, as well as the fact there is no playoff chance, gives an ideal time to shake things up a bit. try new things that maybe we were frightened of doing before as we still had it all to lose. At least we know now, and are not relying on other teams results on the last day. We can go out, play with confidence and pride and reward the fans who's support has been supurb this season, it's the least the players can do.

u really must have your head in the clouds , if you think any player above league 1 plays for the pride of wearing the shirt, it,s all about the money these days

Why not start with Wilson and Styvar, recall Artus and play him down the middle, possibly give Henderson a game in goal, after 60 mins put Stamblosiev on the left for McIndoe and Plummer on the right for Sproule.

We have to give youth a chance at some point, these oppourtunities in a season rarely come along so please lets not miss out.

u really must have your head in the clouds , if you think any player above league 1 plays for the pride of wearing the shirt, it,s all about the money these days

Possibly that's a huge factor, but who's fault is that. I don't think it's the only factor though, hopefully not anyway. When one of our players scores a goal and you can see the pure joy it brings is he really only seeing the £££ signs before his eyes as he celebrates? if that's the case I'll think I'm better off keeping my head in the clouds thank you.

we will have to wait and see what happens in the last few games, but whilst we still have a chance of promotion for the last 3 seasons, how can GJ be blamed for not pitching in the youngsters more regularly? If he did, and we lost more points than we would have done with the first choice team that would be wrong. Now hopefully GJ will blood a couple of them in the last few games.

Maybe this sums up why we don't attract the right Academy kids. If they aren't even going to get a chance in 4 meaningless end of season fixtures, what hope have they got? Better off signing for a Club where they might actually get a chance to develop. Still, if Suyvar is 'one for the future' at age 28, the kids might have a very long wait!

In truth, we know all about this squad. Izzy/ McCoombe not quite up to scratch, keep one as cover, but need better as first cover... Or maybe Wilson could do that if he ever gets a chance.

We have 4 good central midfielders, and for some reason, the weakest is first choice (Not saying he is poor, I think the other 3 are better and offer more). Sproule does not offer enough. McIndoe is quality, but with nothing on the right, and him drifting in, we lack width. If Stern John comes cheap, and Dele goes, he might be worth keeping. Stuyvar should get 4 games now, so that we can assess if he has any quality, or is just a waste of money. Better to find out now than next season. If Weale want to go to Yeovil for first team football, let him go - Henderson is fine as cover, and if needed, getting in a loan keeper is not difficult.

Hopefully, I have summed up the squad, so what does GJ hope to learn? Personally I want players who can do the business when needed, rather than busting a gut in meaningless games.

Agree with the comments above that we should leave Akinde at Wycombe - not only is he gaining in confidence there but he's also doing so under the pressure of a promotion run in. It's going to be invaluable experience for him, and far more than he'd get playing a handful of meaningless games for us.

I'd play Styvar alonside Maynard. Surely that's what we bought him for. You don't spend that sort of money (in ££s or Euros) for someone to sit on the bench - and I assume he wasn't bought to replace Maynard. So if that's what he was bought for then lets at least try it!! And if we don't start next season knowing what our first choice front pair is - and sticking with it - then we're going to get no further than this season.

And yes, lets give one or two youngsters a go as well - Plummer, Wilson. Certainly against Ipswich and Wednesday - games that won't have any impact on other sides chances either.

the one that astonished me is letting Akinde stay at Wycombe!

Plan for next season and use the players who may feature. Akinde is a possibility....a good chance for him to get 3/4 games under his belt at this level...and we wont use it!

Yep id agree with that, i was really in favour of Akinde staying at Wycombe for the rest of the season but now theres nothing to play for he should be back here getting minutes on the pitch in preparation for next season, even more so with the reluctance of Dele to sign a new contract...

True but no point in having em' here then, or paying them if thats the case.

Indeed true, not sure I agree that young players need to play 1st team in order for GJ to assess their ability, he will know how good they are waay before they get anywhere near the first team, but the ones that can definitely make the step up should get experience, if only because their ability warrants it.

team for monday ;)

Henderson

ribiero

wilson

mccombe

iriekpen

myrie williams

artus

plummer

elliot

jordan walker

akinde

....and does anybody rate rob stambolziev because i do ..<< watch out for that name in the future

Millen would have bound and gagged GJ before he released that team sheet, but it would be an interesting exercise...on football manager.

I hear good things about this guy, hope we see him next season, but most likely off to Cheltenham or Yeovil on loan

But said the young players wont come in because they cant handle big pressure games, do we even have any of those left now?

Has GJ not heard of the Alan Hansen quote? Win nothing with kids?

Only the Premier League, or is that not high pressure enough Gary?!

What about Macheda, what is Sir Alex thinking of, how is he going to handle such high pressure games? Err..

I could name dozens of 17/18/19 year olds playing in "high pressure" Premier League games in the past few seasons, why are Bristol City lads "not ready" to be played in meaningless Championship games?

Guest ashtonyate
Has GJ not heard of the Alan Hansen quote? Win nothing with kids?

Only the Premier League, or is that not high pressure enough Gary?!

What about Macheda, what is Sir Alex thinking of, how is he going to handle such high pressure games? Err..

I could name dozens of 17/18/19 year olds playing in "high pressure" Premier League games in the past few seasons, why are Bristol City lads "not ready" to be played in meaningless Championship games?

The worst thing is to put a load of untried youngster in the first team, give them a half each but you can't hope for them to take the pressure of full games and its different with Man U they have some of the best players in the land playing for them they can take up the slack

So what youngsters would you like to see, James Wlison? but who else?

Akinde is doing fine at Wycombe, he scored again today and all his remaining games there will be pressured with them pushing for promotion. I doubt he'd be happy to recalled to City to play in meaningless games.

People call for the 'youngsters' to be given first team experience now that the season is over but who are these youngsters?

as well as ribs & wilson i would have liked JMW to at least get a chance (esp. after showing good form pre season) before bring shipped out and also Plummer. I don't see any harm with 15 - 20 mins left in a game going no where to give a youngster a chance and hope they will rise to the challenge, i no it's risky but if man ure can do it then so can we - and before you say different class of youngster it's also different level so principle the same + look what warnock did last year with his youths

Perhaps now that we know James Wilson is injured, as is Ribeiro and with Artus and Akinde in their first months loans so can't be recalled it makes more sense?

Yes. I would like to see Henderson given a go before the end of the season though. We all know what Basso can do and presumably if the kid is deemed good enough to be on our bench then he must be good enough to play Championship football when called upon?

Just admitted the season is over.

But said the young players wont come in because they cant handle big pressure games, do we even have any of those left now?

Swansea is a fairly big game. Well it is for me as i know a fair few Swansea fans and if we beat them we would end their season :englandsmile4wf:

Archived