IGNORED

Future Transfers

Radstock Red

Most people are honest enough to see that we need at least 5/6 new Top quality players.

Not squad players -First teamers that will improve the team.

IMO- we need Left back, Centre half, central midfield, Both wings and a new forward.

BUT Johnson's previous transfers at the club,

Look good regards- McCombe, Noble, Elliot, Dele, McCallister, Enoch. All came for nominal fees & did/are doing the job.

However when spending the cash- Trundle, Sproule, Styver, Carle & Maynard? All have failed!

He has so far flopped when spending the money - Would you trust him to spend wisely in the future?

However when spending the cash- Trundle, Sproule, Styver, Carle & Maynard? All have failed!

I wouldn't say that Maynard has failed :noexpression:

If GJ was going to go big then I would say......

Maybe contreversial but Ross McCormack if Cardiff don't go up,

Ferrie Bodde - Swansea

Jamie Mackie - Plymouth

Tommy Smith - Watford

Danny Shittu - Bolton (Reserves)

How was Nick Carle a failure?

Of the other players you say have failed Styvar has yet to prove himself (I really hope he comes good), Maynard had a dodgy start but is starting to look the part, and Sproule didn't cost much anyway and has certainly been effective at times.

Trundle is the biggest disappointment, maybe bought him 2 seasons too late, some pieces of brilliance but nowhere near enough.

Most people are honest enough to see that we need at least 5/6 new Top quality players.

Not squad players -First teamers that will improve the team.

IMO- we need Left back, Centre half, central midfield, Both wings and a new forward.

BUT Johnson's previous transfers at the club,

Look good regards- McCombe, Noble, Elliot, Dele, McCallister, Enoch. All came for nominal fees & did/are doing the job.

He has so far flopped when spending the money - Would you trust him to spend wisely in the future?

So what's the solution based on your logic, then?

Sack him for two top ten Championship finishes or keep him in charge and give him no money?

By the way, we doubled our outlay on Carle, how on earth can you class that a failure?

Sack him for two top ten Championship finishes or keep him in charge and give him no money?

By the way, we doubled our outlay on Carle, how on earth can you class that a failure?

Sack Johnson? No but be wary about his bigger money signings.

How can anyone say his record spending is good is beyond me.

Doubled our money on Carle! Whoopee! He didn't set the place alight did he!

Styver is obviously way out of he depth in the CCC. I would love him to prove me wrong next season.

Maynard has done ok, But still not money well spent.

I agree with you when you say his signing are not great.

They arent.

They are a joke.

Maynard was to much but hes had a decent season, trundle did not get a chance.

Oh right, a joke?

So, where did you expect us to finish last season and this, given the manager's "joke" signings?

Improve the scouting, make better decisions and sign players young enough to have a good re-sale value at the end their contracts will do for a start.

There is some value to be had in the transfer market - look no further than Cardiff & Swansea who have been much smarter in their player recruitment and gone zooming past us. We've got to wise up, make better decisions and get far better value in our transfer dealings if we want to progress as a club.

Considering we've spent big money this season and had the luxury of not having to sell our best players, I really think we've gone backwards this season. I don't think we will have the same luxury next season.

Carle wasn't a failure, just got bombed out because he played in a certain someones position, however that certain someone did have a very good game today

I take it the 7 denotes your age then? Think about what you're saying for a moment. GJ buys Carle, then after a few games realises that he's better than he first thought and is therefore a threat to LJ's place in the team. So GJ sells him on. Makes about as much sense as wanting to watch a game of football and ending up at the Memorial Ground.

Carle wasn't a failure, just got bombed out because he played in a certain someones position, however that certain someone did have a very good game today

**** me - can we not have one thread that doesn't end up LJ bashing?

Getting really boring now, and if GJ does read this forum then he's got all the ammunition for walking away he needs. A big does of realism needed by many on here. The Maynard bashing is all getting a bit much too - he's what, 21? Yeah, it was a lot of money, but he hadn't played at this level, and he's definately one for the future. As much as I love Trunds he hasn't performed - maybe GJ was hoping to get a good year or so out of him to help NM along the way - that isn't the lads fault. Ok, so he's missed a few sitters this season, but the fact is that he was there and he's never shirked a shot that I can recall (sure someone will correct me on that) and a couple of his goals have been top drawer. If anyone is doubting him then you must be fools - he'll come good and maybe, just maybe shoot us to the Prem in the next couple of seasons. Give him a break, give GJ a break, and maybe just give LJ a break - his confidence must be shot to pieces.

Remember the dark days, if you're old enough, remember 8 or 9 seasons in Division 3 on the trot, remember 1 season at this level where we looked completely out of our depth, despite spending a shedload of money - 2nd only to Bradford that year if I remember correctly? Didn't get us anywhere, did it?

Can't say that this season has been a massive success, but it's not been that bad. Too many draws at home, give you that one. Maybe some tactics that we've not all agreed with, but we're still top half of the Championship, I would say the squad is better than last season. I'll be as upset as anyone if we don't get the additions to the squad that we desperately need in the summer, but lets give GJ & SL the summer to get that sorted, that's what they're there to do, and if any two people want this to work then it's them.

Getting really boring now, and if GJ does read this forum then he's got all the ammunition for walking away he needs. A big does of realism needed by many on here. The Maynard bashing is all getting a bit much too - he's what, 21? Yeah, it was a lot of money, but he hadn't played at this level, and he's definately one for the future. As much as I love Trunds he hasn't performed - maybe GJ was hoping to get a good year or so out of him to help NM along the way - that isn't the lads fault. Ok, so he's missed a few sitters this season, but the fact is that he was there and he's never shirked a shot that I can recall (sure someone will correct me on that) and a couple of his goals have been top drawer. If anyone is doubting him then you must be fools - he'll come good and maybe, just maybe shoot us to the Prem in the next couple of seasons. Give him a break, give GJ a break, and maybe just give LJ a break - his confidence must be shot to pieces.

Remember the dark days, if you're old enough, remember 8 or 9 seasons in Division 3 on the trot, remember 1 season at this level where we looked completely out of our depth, despite spending a shedload of money - 2nd only to Bradford that year if I remember correctly? Didn't get us anywhere, did it?

Can't say that this season has been a massive success, but it's not been that bad. Too many draws at home, give you that one. Maybe some tactics that we've not all agreed with, but we're still top half of the Championship, I would say the squad is better than last season. I'll be as upset as anyone if we don't get the additions to the squad that we desperately need in the summer, but lets give GJ & SL the summer to get that sorted, that's what they're there to do, and if any two people want this to work then it's them.

Top post Woodsy.

I do remember those dark days, and I am so gratefull to Johnson for transforming us to an established Championship outfit.

The point I'm trying to make is that what Carle was doing towards the end of last season is exactly what we've needed all season, a creative midfielder who can give our strikers the service.

LJ had a great game today, but just isn't the type of midfielder this squad needs to play alongside either Skuse or Elliot.

Frustrating day, same story most of the season, but it's all about next season now :fingerscrossed:

I do remember those dark days, and I am so gratefull to Johnson for transforming us to an established Championship outfit.

The point I'm trying to make is that what Carle was doing towards the end of last season is exactly what we've needed all season, a creative midfielder who can give our strikers the service.

LJ had a great game today, but just isn't the type of midfielder this squad needs to play alongside either Skuse or Elliot.

Frustrating day, same story most of the season, but it's all about next season now :fingerscrossed:

That's a fair comment, yeah, Carle did look good towards the end of last season, and despite all the stories last summer I don't think we ever got to the bottom of why he went so quickly - and to be honest I can't be arsed to go round all that again. Look at him this season though, not pulled up trees at Palarse - maybe GJ saw something that Colin didn't / hasn't just yet. And no way will LJ ever be that kind of midfielder, so that was why Williams came in. Think we've seen enough of Williams over the last couple of months to see that he could be that player, we just need to keep him fit, which has been difficult throughout his career!! Wouldn't hurt to get another one in this summer, but lets be honest, pretty much every club is looking for that kind of player so we would face some serious competition.

Like you say though, it's all about next season - and I'm certain work has already started on strengthening the squad.

Totally agree that Carle hasn't been performing this year, so maybe in the end GJ was proved right. Would love to see Williams given a run in centre mid before the season is out, however I feel it still Is a position we need to strengthen on.

Jordi Gomez anyone? Don't know if it's now a permanent deal, but he certainly has a touch of class about him.

Gj did say he had strong links with the likes of Arsenal, so how about a season long loan for one of the youngsters, Fran Merida? Unlikely I think though, Johnson doesn't favour loan deals.

cant see gary having a great deal to spend this summer (unless he sells players).

Id like to see us bring in a few players on low fees rather than blow the whole kitty on one player.

Sure someone said that Lee Croft might be out of contract, maybe Ambrose could be picked up on cheap.

Ideally id like to see a first choice right winger added

then after that a couple of youngsters, left wing, striker, left back. Looks like Akinde could tuen out to be a bit of a gem from lower leagues, a few more of them wouldnt hurt for similar fees.

cant see gary having a great deal to spend this summer (unless he sells players).

Id like to see us bring in a few players on low fees rather than blow the whole kitty on one player.

Sure someone said that Lee Croft might be out of contract, maybe Ambrose could be picked up on cheap.

Ideally id like to see a first choice right winger added

then after that a couple of youngsters, left wing, striker, left back. Looks like Akinde could tuen out to be a bit of a gem from lower leagues, a few more of them wouldnt hurt for similar fees.

I'd agree that I'd rather see us build a decent squad rather than splach out on one-or-two 'Big' additions.

Andy Dorman, an attacking midfielder presently at St. Mirren, scored again last night and looks a tidy 'Noble'-esk player who has one year left on his contract this summer. Have a peek on BBC Football at his goal from yestreday. He would likely be affordable and seems an ambitious chap.

Same with Darren Ambrose. Gone of the boil a bit the last few years, but clearly has talent and is only 25. Cannot imagine him still being at Charlton next season and certainly would provide competiton in the centre of the park.

- Would you trust him to spend wisely in the future?

If the Chairman and board believed he had flopped and was not to be trusted with spending, then that should cause them to doubt his total ability to Manage. Would your employer keep you on if you were not to be trusted with one integral part of your job?

I believe many people in football belive City to be a wealthy club thus other managers demand extortinate amounts for players we are interested in, then players (and their agents) demand very high wages.

Andy Dorman is a very good shout but I think he'll end up in the premier league.

His 11 goals in 44 games from midfield and being SPL player of the month in February means he's being tracked by bigger clubs than City - but if it's possible to get him, get the cheque book out SL as he's worth it.

He looked pretty decent last night but I see no reason why City wouldn't have a good shout for him - he's English I believe.

Maybe Tony Fitzpatrick can put in a word!

Players i would like to see us go for....

CB - Zak Whitbread (Millwall)

Right Wing - Jamal Campbell-Ryce (Barnsley) or Lee Croft (Norwich)

Left Wing - George Boyd (Peterborough) don't think we got no chance with that though!

Strikers - Dexter Blackstock(QPR) or Jermaine Beckford (Leeds)

Maynard, although costing a decent amount, has had a decent first season, will only improve and is an incredibly sound investment.

Correct me if I'm wrong but hadn he only played about 60 first team games before he arrived?

Styvar cannot be truly judged yet.

We doubled our money on Carle who is surely struggling to be a 'creative midfielder' from the Palace bench.

Trundle is the only one of Johnson's major signings who could be considered a failure - although he played a part, however minimal across the season as a whole, in getting us to the play-off final.

The alternative to not 'trusting' Johnson with future transfers is to sack him . . . . . .

Maynard, although costing a decent amount, has had a decent first season, will only improve and is an incredibly sound investment.

Correct me if I'm wrong but hadn he only played about 60 first team games before he arrived?

Styvar cannot be truly judged yet.

We doubled our money on Carle who is surely struggling to be a 'creative midfielder' from the Palace bench.

Trundle is the only one of Johnson's major signings who could be considered a failure - although he played a part, however minimal across the season as a whole, in getting us to the play-off final.

The alternative to not 'trusting' Johnson with future transfers is to sack him . . . . . .

You are absolutely right about GJ - if he's the manager then he gets whatever budget there is and is left to it - he's in credit on balance I reckon so far.

Jury still out on Nicky for me - doesn't look like a £2m player...yet.

Styvar we will see, Trunds is certainlya failure regretably, and i'd personally include Ivan Sproule in that category.

Carle is so so at Palace I think, but he might have been worth more than £1m to us if he'd stayed and been played in his best position - we will never know.

GJ seems to have more success in moulding relative unknowns - its possible of course that we may have to go down that route in the close season, if SL is feeling the pinch.

Alternatively, horror of horrors season long loan deals for young Prem players, provided it doesn't make the established dressing room miserable!

Players i would like to see us go for....

CB - Zak Whitbread (Millwall)

Right Wing - Jamal Campbell-Ryce (Barnsley) or Lee Croft (Norwich)

Left Wing - George Boyd (Peterborough) don't think we got no chance with that though!

Strikers - Dexter Blackstock(QPR) or Jermaine Beckford (Leeds)

I cannot say I know much about Whitbread, but I certainly agree about the ones highlighted (the others may be too pricey or difficult to obtain).

If Dele Adebola was to leave I think Blackstock would be an ideal replacement.

Campbell-Rice could replace or compeate with Sproule, as could Croft (am I correct in thinking he is a right-sided player?).

The clubs involved (Norwich, Barnsley and QPR/Forest) should all finish below us this year and we might be able to use our two top half finishes to good effect when looking to pick up Championship-standard players.

Jury still out on Nicky for me - doesn't look like a £2m player...yet.

????? he was awesome against forest and very good against Ipswich. His all round game has come on leaps and bounds in the last few months and he is now a very hard working player.

????? he was awesome against forest and very good against Ipswich. His all round game has come on leaps and bounds in the last few months and he is now a very hard working player.

Not arguing he's coming on well now, but £2m..? - not sure yet personally so would like to see him maintain recent form over the bulk of next season.

Well said, I believe Maynard will come good next season. He will be one to watch in the Championship. He has made a big step up coming from Crewe but by the looks of his recent performances he is more confident and I believe he he will help us to promotion next season.

Anyway I would like to see someone like Chris Taylor from Oldham at City, seen him in a few televised games he looks good.

I wouldn't say that Maynard has failed :noexpression:

If GJ was going to go big then I would say......

Maybe contreversial but Ross McCormack if Cardiff don't go up,

Ferrie Bodde - Swansea

Jamie Mackie - Plymouth

Tommy Smith - Watford

Danny Shittu - Bolton (Reserves)

Ferrie Bodde would be an excellent signing. Would he come top us though? He was linked with several PL clubs in the Autumn IIRC but got injured. Shittu could be good too, don't know enough about the others.

As for Maynard the jury is out I think, he's young it's his 1st season at this level so too early to say.

As for other points, I thought Carle came on well towards the end of last season, should possibly have kept him.

Archived