IGNORED

Players Out

red army

I thought we only signed Gavin Williams and Nicky Maynard in the pre season plus the awful Andy Webster came in on loan once the season has started?

Webster signed in August, Akinde on 1st September.

We added John in October and Styvar and Iriekpen in January.

With regards to other players, I find it incredible that other posters are suggesting Basso is released

Basso certainly won't be released, but if we get a reasonable offer for him then it may be the ideal time for him to move on.

It's impossible to keep 3 quality keepers happy and City would still have 2 excellent stoppers in Weale and Henderson.

The alternative is that one of the younger keepers moves on and it's hard to see how that could be in the best interests of the club.

Basso certainly won't be released, but if we get a reasonable offer for him then it may be the ideal time for him to move on.

It's impossible to keep 3 quality keepers happy and City would still have 2 excellent stoppers in Weale and Henderson.

The alternative is that one of the younger keepers moves on and it's hard to see how that could be in the best interests of the club.

Totally agree!

Was thinking exactly the same myself the other week. basso is 34 this year and whilst i still believe he is a great keeper i think we are so fortunate to have Weale and now henderson as back up!

For me Weale is the immediate future and then maybe Henderson further down the line if we can hold on to him!

I reckon they will, and will up their offer accordingly.

Maybe!

I do rate Elliott as do all of us but i still have a nagging feeling that he may get found out a little in the Prem. One of his strengths is his workrate but i cant help thinking this wouldnt have as much impact against the better passing teams of the Prem!

Players to go this summer i guess woud be

(Weale )

Noble

Adebola

Trundle

John

Murray

Sproule

Elliott-2.5 mill + offer

Myrie Williams

I don't think you'll be far off with that list.

I'd swap Basso for Weale, and Iriekpen may yet move on if GJ genuinely rates James Wilson.

I can see all the others going, with Elliot's likely departure to the Premier League giving GJ plenty to think about and reasonable funds to really shake up the squad.

Maybe!

I do rate Elliott as do all of us but i still have a nagging feeling that he may get found out a little in the Prem. One of his strengths is his workrate but i cant help thinking this wouldnt have as much impact against the better passing teams of the Prem!

McCarthy was trying to sign Elliot in January for a very large fee so he must have been trying to buy him not only to help gain promotion but also as a potential Premier League player.

I reckon Wolves will be back and Elliot will go.

Players to go:

One of Basso/Weale, perhaps Weale.

Noble

Myrie Williams

John

Trundle

Players with question marks:

McCombe-A Championship player technically wise?

Mcallister If a superior replacement found, never been entirely convinced at this level.

Sproule- Consistency

Williams- Fitness

Johnson- Not sure if he or Carle was the better player, been pretty good these last 3 seasons but not sure if able to step up to the next level.

McIndoe- Left sided player yes, but doesn't seem to have hit the form of last season.

Should try to keep the likes of Fontaine, Elliott, Adebola undoubtedly I think, Adebola is a real threat on his day most notably v Wolves and had a good run of games.

Would need to see more of Riberio, Wilson, Artus, Akinde seems promising. Would also need a left back, a real Championship at the least quality left back, genuine cover for McIndoe, a centre back, and perhaps cover for Williams in the centre.

My blueprint for success next season, on a budget:

Goalkeepers

Allow either Basso or Weale to leave, the time has come to accept we don't need two top quality keepers and Henderson has shown himself as an adequate replacement.

Defence

McCombe hasn't covered himself in glory lately, which leads to say we need a decent replacement for him, such as Lewington from the MK Dungs. Give Iriekpen a year as he can provide cover all along the back line. Hope Ribiero and J Wilson can progress a expected.

Midfield

I would love to see a central midfield pairing of Elliot/Skuse and Williams. In fact I'd be tempted to accept a bid of 2-3m for Elliot and play Skuse, as he can replicate and improve the style of play Johnson brings whilst also adding the steel of Elliot. Bring Artus back and also keep Noble in contention.

We need to replace both wingers in my opinion. I reckon McIndoe will want off in the summer, so let him leave and replace with the likes of Croft (Norwich) and/or Smith (Watford), although the latter may be a bit expensive. Supply to the strikers is crucial.

Strikers

Give Dele his 2 year contract, give a bigger role to Akinde and Styvar, get rid of John and replace with AN other of your choice. Although this will most likely be a foreign unknown.

So that leaves us with a possible team of:

Basso

Orr

Carey

Fontaine

McAllister

Croft

Skuse

Williams

Smith

Adebola

Maynard

with names such as Henderson, Ribiero, J and B Wilson, Iriekpen, Lewington, Sproule, Noble, Johnson, Artus, Akinde, Styvar and new striker as competition.

My blueprint for success next season, on a budget:

Goalkeepers

Allow either Basso or Weale to leave, the time has come to accept we don't need two top quality keepers and Henderson has shown himself as an adequate replacement.

Defence

McCombe hasn't covered himself in glory lately, which leads to say we need a decent replacement for him, such as Lewington from the MK Dungs. Give Iriekpen a year as he can provide cover all along the back line. Hope Ribiero and J Wilson can progress a expected.

Midfield

I would love to see a central midfield pairing of Elliot/Skuse and Williams. In fact I'd be tempted to accept a bid of 2-3m for Elliot and play Skuse, as he can replicate and improve the style of play Johnson brings whilst also adding the steel of Elliot. Bring Artus back and also keep Noble in contention.

We need to replace both wingers in my opinion. I reckon McIndoe will want off in the summer, so let him leave and replace with the likes of Croft (Norwich) and/or Smith (Watford), although the latter may be a bit expensive. Supply to the strikers is crucial.

Strikers

Give Dele his 2 year contract, give a bigger role to Akinde and Styvar, get rid of John and replace with AN other of your choice. Although this will most likely be a foreign unknown.

So that leaves us with a possible team of:

Basso

Orr

Carey

Fontaine

McAllister

Croft

Skuse

Williams

Smith

Adebola

Maynard

with names such as Henderson, Ribiero, J and B Wilson, Iriekpen, Lewington, Sproule, Noble, Johnson, Artus, Akinde, Styvar and new striker as competition.

It's been made clear that Noble has played his last game for City, he definitely won't be here next season.

It's been made clear that Noble has played his last game for City, he definitely won't be here next season.

Unfortunately so. Ideally I'd keep him though.

Also not forgetting your favourite man Trundle, perhaps he would still have role to play next season? Can't see many teams paying a transfer fee and wages for him!

Unfortunately so. Ideally I'd keep him though.

Also not forgetting your favourite man Trundle, perhaps he would still have role to play next season? Can't see many teams paying a transfer fee and wages for him!

Unfortunately ( again ) Trundle obviously doesn't feature in GJ's plans.

I still think he'd be a very useful player to have on the bench, but only if he comes off it obviously.

That not being the case it will be best all round if he moves on and I can see clubs being interested if he's made available on a free transfer.

Then of course it's vital that GJ signs a couple of fitter entertainers to replace Noble and Trundle and make watching City a pleasure again.

Loan signings...so you think its reasonable to get loans in to further enhance these 7 key signings you speak of?

As long as they're good enough and on long term yeah. Why not?

It's a cost effective way of getting a better quality player than we might be able to afford or attract permanently.

And Iriekpen wasn't a loan.

Unfortunately ( again ) Trundle obviously doesn't feature in GJ's plans.

I still think he'd be a very useful player to have on the bench, but only if he comes off it obviously.

That not being the case it will be best all round if he moves on and I can see clubs being interested if he's made available on a free transfer.

Then of course it's vital that GJ signs a couple of fitter entertainers to replace Noble and Trundle and make watching City a pleasure again.

Completely and utterly agree. Have you got any names in mind?

As long as they're good enough and on long term yeah. Why not?

It's a cost effective way of getting a better quality player than we might be able to afford or attract permanently.

Agree 100% - other teams manage to get them who are no more attractive than us.

Completely and utterly agree. Have you got any names in mind?

No, not really, but I trust GJ has if he's happy to let Noble and Trundle leave. Entertainers are few and far between, that's why we were lucky to have Noble and Trundle and more's the pity they couldn't be a success for City.

How about Lallana at Soton?

Or a few young Spaniards like Swansea found or other foreigners that we have no doubt scouted but the average fan may never have heard of?

They must be out there and GJ needs to balance the workmanlike City team with a couple of effective entertainers next season to keep this fan happy.

If we're most likely going to stand still for a season or two, let's at least do it with a smile on our faces. :city::D

My take is out will go:

Trunds

Noble (we know)

JMW (again we know)

John

Adebola

Some Surprise leavers I think may be:

Mcindoe (maybe not so much of a surprise)

Sproule

Elliott

LJ (think he may have had enough of the LJ abusers)

Fonts (After the last couple of seasons wouldn't surprise me if huge interest)

Basso

In

Anyone's guess I would like:

Lee Croft

Simon Barker

Mark Hudson

Zeng Zhi

Paul Anderson

George Boyd

Gary McSheffery

Leroy Lita

I Feel

S.Murray £600,000, J.M-Williams £450,000, F.Artus (Released), C.Weale£525,000, L.Trundle £965,000, J.Walker(Released)

Will All Leave, No Regular First Team Action(If Any)

D.Adebola Will Also Be Sold For £1.3Million

I'd recommend drinking less on a Sunday night.

What worries me is that everyone is focused on Elliott, Trundle, Adebola etc etc that no-one has mentioned Fontaine. Arguably one of our best players this season and young too. I can see him being watched by numerous clubs after this seasons performance and the potential he has for the future. I know obviously GJ would want to hold onto him but if a big offer came in we could potentially lose him and with carey getting on abit I'd say we really need to keep him.

What worries me is that everyone is focused on Elliott, Trundle, Adebola etc etc that no-one has mentioned Fontaine. Arguably one of our best players this season and young too. I can see him being watched by numerous clubs after this seasons performance and the potential he has for the future. I know obviously GJ would want to hold onto him but if a big offer came in we could potentially lose him and with carey getting on abit I'd say we really need to keep him.

Good call - player of the season maybe and classy - and the right age to still improve?.

Out:-

Trundle

John

Adebola

Noble

JMW

Murray - Coaching role

Possible sell Basso, Sproule and LJ if offers came in.

In:-

Kenny Cooper - Big strong international striker who would directly replace Adebola.

Paul Gallagher - Replacement for Trundle, available for 600k from Blackburn.

Leroy Lita - Replacement for John, possible tribunal fee.

Lee Croft - Replacement for Sproule, out of contract.

Alan Gow - Replacement for JMW can play left wing or as a 2nd striker, available for 250k.

Andrew Surman or Charlie Adam - Replacement for Noble.

Archived