IGNORED

Players Out

red army

Was just about to make a similar post!

I think as Johnson says " maybe this bunch of lads have taken us as far as we can", for me though it is imperitive that we keep hold of Elliott as surely he us the type of player that can kick us on to the next level and we need more of this quality or near too.

Players we defo need to keep for me are,

Fontaine (fear we may see a cheeky bid for him from somonone)

Elliott (Class act, Skuse was good whilst deputising but not in same league)

Skuse (Great cover for Elliott, but would he be happy with this?)

Maynard (Young and learning this division, I think he has done ok but not great but there are definalty signs of potentail there, think his Injury in Jan/Feb came at the wrong time as he was playing the best he did all season).

Orr (I know he has hos moments but defesivly he is very good at this level, he can be frustrating but think he is good enough to help us get to the promised land)

Louise Carey- Great leader and solid performer has got a few seasons in him yet and is very good cover

Players I think can be part fo the team to take us forward but would not be turning down decent offers for,

Basso - Not been as good as last 2 seasons and is really starting to annoy me with these silly little injuries and play acting/petulant behaviour. Weale and Henderson both look capable.

McIndoe on his day great player and winger but I think he believes his own hype big time, when he joined us he said he left Wolves as when he was out wide and the players did not get the ball to him quickly enough out wide, so he ended up drifting in feild.... history repating it's self.

Dele- I think he has been great this season and he has served us well in his time here, but feel he may be winding down now and looking for a move back to midlands area! Would be happy to see him stay but also not be devestated to see him go.

McCallister- I think he is a good full bck but not what i call a strong championship defender, happy either way stay or go!

Williams- Same as above decent player good control and passing, light weight poor in the air and tackle! Good championship player but is not going to set this league on fire, offers considered fr him for me.

Players that for me are not good enough to ake us forward

Lee Johnson- Done to death for last 12-18 months nothing to add, feel he is not effective enough in this league.

Sproule- No end product cannot cross to shot, and positional sense not good enough.

Trundle- Take best bid, shame did not work out really wanted it too but looks like its too late.

Players to defo leave for me,

Noble- Big shame as if we could get his head right he could and is Premier League quality in my eyes, massive waste of talent.

JMW- Been promising things for a while seems to do well on loan, and played well for us in League one, as he ever payed for us in CCC

Stern John- Surely he is going back? God I hop so, again simialr to trundle we signed at the wrong end of his career

Peter Styveer- I'm hoping he comes good but based on what i have seen so far for first and reserve team, I cannot see why he paid decent money for this guy, hope I am proved wrong but I cannot remember seeing such a poor first touch from a Pro

Jaimie McCombe - Excellent League one player but for me not good enough at this level, flat fooded lack of pace, and long ball after long ball. I would accpet a bid and keep Izzy next seaosn as he looks quick, decent in air and can pass the ball.

I think we need the following to ahppend next season below youngsters coming thorugh

Wilson

Riberio

Artus

plus a new left back,

Top end CC/Prem centre mid player to play with Elliott, who can drive on and spray the ball around, nit sure who though?

Right Winger (Driver, hearts or Boyce P,Boro or McEnuff Watford)

and a striker (x2)who is direct and can hold the ball but we don't play it long too! as well as a fox in the box

Trundle- Take best bid, shame did not work out really wanted it too but looks like its too late.

There won't be any "bids"

We'll have to pay him to leave.

And that was an inevitable outcome of (over)paying £1M and giving a 3 year contract worth £1.5 million to 31 year old who despite obvious ability on the ball had always lacked pace and carried excess weight. He was never going to still be performing in the final year of his contract at 34 years old.

Any player over 33 is entitled to a free transfer anyway.

If we make the same mistake with Stern John we really will have lost it.

Same with Styvar - he's signed a 2 or 3 year deal (can't remember which) and we're commited to it.

CR

Hopefully this summer we'll manage to keep hold of most of our squad (bar John and already known exits), and just add with better quality. I'm quite happy as McCombe as cover, don't think you'll get much better sitting on the bench.

Possible exits- Adebola, Better longer contract elsewhere.

Elliott- Better standard of football offered.

Fontaine- Same as Marv.

Trundle- Season long loan, then free agent or possible transfer (you never know!)

Weale/Basso- Fight for numero uno shirt.

I'd let the following leave if they're out of contract or for any sort of offer that means we don't have to pay up their contracts:

Adebola

John

Trundle

Johnson

B Wilson

JMW

McCombe

Iriekpen (seems a good player but terrible injury record)

Murray should be given a non playing contract as a coach or something.

I'd consider offers for Orr, McAllister and Basso but refuse any offer under £3m for Elliott or Fontaine. If we sell any of those players it should only be if we can replace them for less than we sell for.

Then I'd want to see us sign:

A right winger who can cross to compete with Sproule

A strong centre forward in the Brooker mould

A skillful running forward with lots of pace (might not need one if Styvar turns into a footballer)

An attacking central midfielder who carries the ball and shoots

A left back who can pass to compete with McAllister

An experienced centre half to compete with Carey and Fontaine.

A left winger to compete with McIndoe.

We'd then have two or three players for every position in a 442 assuming the likes of J Wilson, Ribeiro, Akinde and Artus are in the running.

The easiest part of this are those who are out of contract that GJ doesn't want to keep, we know Noble and JMW are on their way, it also looks highly likely that Scott Murray won't be on the playing staff next season and that John's loan won't be made permanent. Beyond that Weale and Adebola are out of contract and both look pretty likely to move on.

I'd replace the latter but not the former, as having Basso backed up by Henderson is fine by me.

Everything else is tied up with moving on players who are under contract, I'd guess if we decide to retain Iriekpen then McCombe would have to move on, as otherwise there would have been no point in giving James Wilson a 4 year deal recently just to be the fifth choice centre half behind Fontaine and Carey as well.

Trundle is clearly one we'd like to shed, but we'd be looking at shelling out around £400k to him to get him to go, which is big money.

I wouldn't have offered Brian Wilson a new deal myself but GJ has said that he will, so there we'll have to differ.

I'd see Weale, Murray, Noble, JMW, Adebola, John and either McCombe or Iriekpen (plus Trundle if possible) all moving on this summer.

I'd make four summer signings; a replacement for Adebola, a first choice right winger, and 2 left sided players to compete with McAllister and McIndoe for their places; with Ribeiro, James Wilson, Akinde and Artus as part of a 22/23 man squad.

I know I'm in the minority but our 5 current central midfielders in Elliott, Williams, Skuse, Johnson and Artus would be good enough for me.

Should either Elliott or Fontaine depart for big money they'd clearly need top quality replacements.

Players I'd let go;

Weale or Basso - very different types of keeper both more than capable at this level, Henderson to continue as no:2

James Wilson - on loan had a great start to the season with Brentford but injury at the wrong time stopped his first team challange

Marvin Elliot - if Wolves still want him for the right money £3m + CS has proved himself an adequate replacement and more than an understudy

Stern John - not worked out, end of

Lee Trundle - very little impact this season despite a promising end to last

Dele Adebola - hot and cold possible better replacements available

Area's I'd look to sign players;

LB - Serious competition is needed for McAllister

CM - We need a 5 - 10 goal central midfielder, mayber Williams can produce this?

DCM - Cover for Skuse if Elliot goes

RW - Sproule has had 2 seasons as the only out and out right winger and still cannot hold down a place

CF - A long term partner for Maynard is required and maybe another experienced head depending on who leaves

In regards to Trunds, he is the sort of player now that the promoted teams will look at, Leicester and MK (if they go up), should be able to afford him, might have to get less in wages.

Agree, I'm sure somebody like Leicester will be sniffing, i doubht MK or Peterbrough will be able to afford his wages. But I'm sure like you said if Trundle is serious about playing at this level he will have to take a pay-cut.

Noble and JMW have already been told they won't be getting their contracts renewed - so that's a given.

I don't see John being here next year, if Gary had been thinking along those lines we would have seen more of him on the pitch but his age, wages, work rate, and frequent long haul international trips will all count against him.

Trundle - no championship club wants him, and no league one club can afford his £10K/week wage, we'd have to pay off his remaining contract worth £500,000 to move him on. A season long loan to a league one club with that club picking up part of his wages maybe? - I doubt though that any L1 club can afford more that £2-3K max.

If he's that desparate to play football maybe his agent can fix up a loan/move to an overseas club in a league where the pace is slower and more "technical" (Belgium - Denmark - Holland maybe) but wages the problem again.

McCoombe - I think gary rates him (different "club in the bag" etc) and he was captain against Ipswich so I think he stays.

Adebola - If he's had a 2 year offer from Shef Wed as rumoured, he's off.

Elliott - if Wolves want him - he's off too (sadly). I don't think he'd go to another Championship Club though so it's all about Wolves and wether they are still interested.

McIndoe - very fit, works hard Johnson type player but he doesn't get past his full back enough and put in a cross from the byline. Wanders about too much but presumably that's under instruction or Johnson would have put a stop to it. It wouldn't suprise me if he wanted to try his luck somewhere else.

Lee Johnson - your having a laugh right?

For me it's not about who goes - and I don't think Gary will change it too much from choice, Trundle's the only one he wants to move out (apart from DN and JMW) - but about who comes in.

If Dele, Marv, and McIndoe do go - and with Carey and Williams looking less likely to play 46 games, we will need 5 or 6 FIRST TEAM players. If pre season training starts with no new faces and we are still hearing that good players are keeping their options open and that we won't be "held to ransom" (like we were with Maynard and Trundle !!) then it will be time to worry.

CR

I think this is pretty spot on. Not everything is decided (Adebola, Elliott), but a lot of it seems pretty settled. Whether anyone will come in for anyone else in the squad, who knows? Everyone has a price, and if a Premier League club wanted back up in the shape of Fontaine, Skuse, Maynard, etc, then they might go.

There's a couple of others who I would definitely question: Weale and Styvar.

With back up in the shape of Henderson who has come on very well lately, I could see Chris Weale move on maybe back to Yeovil. However he's good enough to be a Championship keeper and it depends who needs back up. Having said this, GJ does seem a little annoyed with Basso lately, so maybe he'll go and Weale will get the No. 1 jersey. He is Weale-y good... Ahem.

As for Styvar, I thought he looked technically quite good in his substitute appearances, but after seeing him in a couple of reserve games make no impact, look very lacklustre and bored, and throw a strop when he never got the ball, I do wonder if he'll leave. It can't be good for his international chances to be sat in the reserves.

Anyway, doesn't matter who we want to see go or stay, or who we want or don't want to see come in. They never match up.

As for Trundle, it's likely he'll see out his contract here with the odd loan spell again next season. However, if any of the 'bigger' clubs go down (Forest, Norwich, Plymouth) and join the 'bigger' already down there (Leeds, MK Dons - assuming neither go up) that could afford his wages, then it's possible one of them might want him for the season. I would have thought any of those would be attractive to him for various reasons. Shame, cos he's a top bloke and still got a bit of magic now and then.

Players I'd let go;

Weale or Basso - very different types of keeper both more than capable at this level, Henderson to continue as no:2

James Wilson - on loan had a great start to the season with Brentford but injury at the wrong time stopped his first team challange

Marvin Elliot - if Wolves still want him for the right money £3m + CS has proved himself an adequate replacement and more than an understudy

Stern John - not worked out, end of

Lee Trundle - very little impact this season despite a promising end to last

Dele Adebola - hot and cold possible better replacements available

Area's I'd look to sign players;

LB - Serious competition is needed for McAllister

CM - We need a 5 - 10 goal central midfielder, mayber Williams can produce this?

DCM - Cover for Skuse if Elliot goes

RW - Sproule has had 2 seasons as the only out and out right winger and still cannot hold down a place

CF - A long term partner for Maynard is required and maybe another experienced head depending on who leaves

I think Basso JWilson and Trundle would all love to be let go as they would get a great signing on fee from there new club especialy Wilson who you appear to be throwing on the scrap heap after a minor injury

For me

will be let go=

jmw

noble(loveto see him stay IF fit)

john

dele (longer contract eleswhere)

poss offers for

elliott

skuce

fontain

would up up for transfer

McIndoe

McCombe

Johnson

cant see anyboby comeing in for Trundle due to age and wages

also let one of the keepers go

Time for claer out and rebuild

I hope the squad looks like this, cover in brackets

GK - Basso (Weale)

DR - Orr (Wilson)

DL - MCCallister (Young signing)

DC - Carey (McCombe)

DC - Fonts (Iriekpen)

MR - Quality Signing (Sproule)

ML - McCindoe (Young signing)

MC - Elliot (Skuse)

MC - Williams (LJ)

ST - Quality Signing (Steyvar)

ST - Maynard (young signing, or loan).

Loan the following players out 6 months to league 1 clubs and then bring them back to push for places after xmas if done well

Akinde, Artus, Ribs, J.Wilson, Henderson

Loan the following players out for season to league 2 clubs and see how they get on

M.Jackson/Plummer/Stanbolziev, prob a few other promising youths

I reckon Dele will leave even though i wouldnt mind us keeping him.

Any senior player not mentioned can leave.

I'd let the following leave if they're out of contract or for any sort of offer that means we don't have to pay up their contracts:

Adebola

John

Trundle

Johnson

B Wilson

JMW

McCombe

Iriekpen (seems a good player but terrible injury record)

Murray should be given a non playing contract as a coach or something.

I'd consider offers for Orr, McAllister and Basso but refuse any offer under £3m for Elliott or Fontaine. If we sell any of those players it should only be if we can replace them for less than we sell for.

Then I'd want to see us sign:

A right winger who can cross to compete with Sproule

A strong centre forward in the Brooker mould

A skillful running forward with lots of pace (might not need one if Styvar turns into a footballer)

An attacking central midfielder who carries the ball and shoots

A left back who can pass to compete with McAllister

An experienced centre half to compete with Carey and Fontaine.

A left winger to compete with McIndoe.

We'd then have two or three players for every position in a 442 assuming the likes of J Wilson, Ribeiro, Akinde and Artus are in the running.

you might as well ask for world peace as well

you might as well ask for world peace as well

You think it's unreasonable to sign 7 players when you let 8 (some of them very highly paid) go?

I'd suggest that our squad this season is small and made smaller by being totally unbalanced so it's reasonable to try and fix that.

You think it's unreasonable to sign 7 players when you let 8 (some of them very highly paid) go?

I'd suggest that our squad this season is small and made smaller by being totally unbalanced so it's reasonable to try and fix that.

Yes I do. I concur that its a small squad now (which is why I'm glad our season is now over) and it will be threadbare in the summer.

I would suggest that it is unreasonable to expect that johnson will sign 7 players (let alone players who then aren't rubbished on here if they don't start performing from the first game), regardless of how many vacancies there might be.

Look at the average number of players has signs in transfer windows...or is able to sign. How many times does he say 'were constantly looking to improve, but the players arent always out there to sign'...it rolled of his tongue again today in fact.

So yes, I am worried

Yes I do. I concur that its a small squad now (which is why I'm glad our season is now over) and it will be threadbare in the summer.

I would suggest that it is unreasonable to expect that johnson will sign 7 players (let alone players who then aren't rubbished on here if they don't start performing from the first game), regardless of how many vacancies there might be.

Look at the average number of players has signs in transfer windows...or is able to sign. How many times does he say 'were constantly looking to improve, but the players arent always out there to sign'...it rolled of his tongue again today in fact.

So yes, I am worried

I've never seem a player we sign rubbished on here for not performing from the first game, that's just massive exaggeration. The vast majority of posters will watch a good few games before voicing concerns about a player.

Last summer GJ signed 4 players plus another in October and two more in January. Summer before he signed 7 players plus two more in January. The summer before that he signed 7 players and then made copious use of the loan system. So signing 7 players clearly isn't out of the question at all. What's questionable is whether we will sign the right players in the right positions or instead end up with half a dozen strikers, one left back and one left winger.

GJ needs to start work on next season now, that means correctly identifying the weaknesses in the squad and bringing in the right players. Not hanging around until the end of August bemoaning the window and complaining that players aren't around when our rivals seem to have no real problems finding them.

I've never seem a player we sign rubbished on here for not performing from the first game, that's just massive exaggeration. The vast majority of posters will watch a good few games before voicing concerns about a player.

Last summer GJ signed 4 players plus another in October and two more in January. Summer before he signed 7 players plus two more in January. The summer before that he signed 7 players and then made copious use of the loan system. So signing 7 players clearly isn't out of the question at all. What's questionable is whether we will sign the right players in the right positions or instead end up with half a dozen strikers, one left back and one left winger.

GJ needs to start work on next season now, that means correctly identifying the weaknesses in the squad and bringing in the right players. Not hanging around until the end of August bemoaning the window and complaining that players aren't around when our rivals seem to have no real problems finding them.

Its all well and good signing 7 league 1 players for a combined cost of about 400k. To get 7 players that will ''kick us on'' from the championship and as we all know were talking 4 or 5 million. GJ will have to be very cute this summer and like you quite rightly said he should start idetifying the problems know and try to sniff out some bargains.

Its all well and good signing 7 league 1 players for a combined cost of about 400k. To get 7 players that will ''kick us on'' from the championship and as we all know were talking 4 or 5 million. GJ will have to be very cute this summer and like you quite rightly said he should start idetifying the problems know and try to sniff out some bargains.

We all know about Kighly £25K from Grays and apprently Henry who has so influential for Wolves in Midfield didn't cost a lot from Stoke (I beleive???). I think this is where Johnson has been proven to be most effective shopping around this end of the market and I think that McCarthy has shown it can be done. Not saying its easy as its anything but, but where I think Gary Johnson deserves full marks is his sighnings of Basso, Elliott for example and Akinde I beleive will prove to be excellant value as perhaps Henderson in time.

More of the same would be nice, not easy as I've said but possiable.

means correctly identifying the weaknesses in the squad and bringing in the GJ needs to start work on next season now, that right players. Not hanging around until the end of August bemoaning the window and complaining that players aren't around when our rivals seem to have no real problems finding them.

Agree

The saving grace of all this is that he gets more time than ever to concentrate on getting the right players. I think generally he's been good in transfer markets...I like the fact he has always added good players and (I think) improved the squad year on year.

...but he's got a lot of holes to plug at once and I'm just not sure he can plug them all with what (he says) is a limited supply

(But hopefully the fact we finished top half, sometimes feature on global tv and have more players at international level, it will be easier for him to attract talent)

I recall Bas Savage being rubbished on here before setting foot on the pitch. :yes:

I agree with everything else you say though.

With regards to other players, I find it incredible that other posters are suggesting Basso is released, James Wilson is released and that Skuse would be an automatic replacement for Elliot.

I recall Bas Savage being rubbished on here before setting foot on the pitch. :yes:

I agree with everything else you say though.

With regards to other players, I find it incredible that other posters are suggesting Basso is released, James Wilson is released and that Skuse would be an automatic replacement for Elliot.

I agree regarding the Skuse, elliott business. I would argue that Elliott is the goal scoring midfielder we have been craving for if he was able to be released from his defensive duties.

Players to defo leave for me,

Peter Styveer- I'm hoping he comes good but based on what i have seen so far for first and reserve team, I cannot see why he paid decent money for this guy, hope I am proved wrong but I cannot remember seeing such a poor first touch from a Pro

are you serious !? How can you base the opinion on his handful of appearances in which 1/2 was actually starting, one of them being a solid Prem team, give him a chance jesus

The thing that worries me in all of this talk of maybe needing 4 or 5 players is GJ's consistently lacklustre performance in the transfer market.We always seem to be slow off the mark and by the time we start trying to sign players a lot of the best of the crop have gone .How do others feel about GJ's ability to get the quality and quantity of players in that we might need.

Last summer GJ signed 4 players plus another in October and two more in January.

I thought we only signed Gavin Williams and Nicky Maynard in the pre season plus the awful Andy Webster came in on loan once the season has started?

Archived