IGNORED

Akinde Scores Again

tropicalsurfer

For strikers, work rate should be a distant second to scoring goals. In fact having a high workrate can (as we see from our strikers) be very counter productive because they end up deep and wide having come to help out instead of between the penalty spot and the six yard box on the business end of a cross.

Hard working midfielders and full backs, fantastic. Strikers? Nice to have and certainly not at the cost of goals.

That Torres bloke just hangs round the box all game. I bet you all premier league strikers have a higher work rate than ours.

That Torres bloke just hangs round the box all game. I bet you all premier league strikers have a higher work rate than ours.

Bravo, you're proving my point for me. I said hard working is nice to have, goals are the priority. You've just proved that to get a player who produces both in the Prem you have to spend >£20m. Hell, even Rooney doesn't get many goals because he's so busy working hard - that's with service from Man U's midfield. Luckily they've got other players who can score.

So acknowledging all that - let's concentrate on the goals shall we? And stop making forwards run ten miles a game instead at the cost of being in the 18 yard area that matters.

Bravo, you're proving my point for me. I said hard working is nice to have, goals are the priority. You've just proved that to get a player who produces both in the Prem you have to spend >£20m. Hell, even Rooney doesn't get many goals because he's so busy working hard - that's with service from Man U's midfield. Luckily they've got other players who can score.

So acknowledging all that - let's concentrate on the goals shall we? And stop making forwards run ten miles a game instead at the cost of being in the 18 yard area that matters.

Not really - have you watched Torres? He doesn't stop running - and neither does any other striker in the prem.

Not really - have you watched Torres? He doesn't stop running - and neither does any other striker in the prem.

He runs lots yes, but he's always in the box when it counts. Ours run wide and deep and aren't.

Given that we're somewhat unlikely to sign someone with Torres' ability I'd rather have them scoring than running.

It's not that hard to follow.

Besides, we're in the Championship so it's completely irrelevant what £20m+ players are capable of.

Ebanks Blake runs into dangerous areas, not out wide and or deep when Wolves have the ball - he doesn't need to because their wingers and midfielders are capable. McCormack and Scotland get on the end of crosses and through balls, they don't help deliver them. And if they did they wouldn't be leading the scoring charts for clubs better placed than ours.

He runs lots yes, but he's always in the box when it counts. Ours run wide and deep and aren't.

Given that we're somewhat unlikely to sign someone with Torres' ability I'd rather have them scoring than running.

It's not that hard to follow.

Besides, we're in the Championship so it's completely irrelevant what £20m+ players are capable of.

Ebanks Blake runs into dangerous areas, not out wide and or deep when Wolves have the ball - he doesn't need to because their wingers and midfielders are capable. McCormack and Scotland get on the end of crosses and through balls, they don't help deliver them. And if they did they wouldn't be leading the scoring charts for clubs better placed than ours.

I agree that centre forwards should, in the main, work the channel between the goals and not drift wide unless chasing a through ball played to them.

Having said that, I think I'm right in saying McCormack has scored the same number of goals from open play as Maynard this season, with 10 of his 21 goals coming from the penalty spot. Of course, this may underline the point of having your strikers in the box for them to be fouled, but having not seen the penalty incidents (or at least, I can't remember them), it's hard to say.

The penalty issue also raises another point for me. I feel Maynard should have been given the penalties this season. He may well have had a better conversion rate than the other players who took them in the league this season, and could now be on 13/14 goals for the season, which would look like a much better return in his first season. Ok, he had one saved by David James, but he is a superb shot-stopper and I don't think he should have been withdrawn from them unless he specificaly requested not to take them again (which I find unlikely in a striker).

I think you need both, and am sure that is what we are aiming for. Wolves have Keogh and Kighly mind, who give some serious movement and delivery. I think it is the delivery that neeeds improving, too many lobbed balls, few through balls on th floor, few crosses hit at pace, and rare midfield moves coming through the centre. Maynard will be great next season too.

I'd like both and I'm fine with that being the aim but the reality is that we don't have both at the moment so I think goals are vastly more important. We've scored just over a goal a game this season and last, and though the service could certainly improve it doesn't matter if Beckham's delivering when nobody's on the end of it.

I think the point about Wolves is not so much the movement and delivery of their midfield, it's that they can carry it forward and get the ball into the box without support from strikers in wide or deep positions, which is where we lack.

Maynard will be great next season if we can find someone to feed him through balls and crosses. If we play direct to a target man like we have done all of this season he'll get a dozen goals and be very frustrated just like this one.

I agree that centre forwards should, in the main, work the channel between the goals and not drift wide unless chasing a through ball played to them.

Having said that, I think I'm right in saying McCormack has scored the same number of goals from open play as Maynard this season, with 10 of his 21 goals coming from the penalty spot. Of course, this may underline the point of having your strikers in the box for them to be fouled, but having not seen the penalty incidents (or at least, I can't remember them), it's hard to say.

The penalty issue also raises another point for me. I feel Maynard should have been given the penalties this season. He may well have had a better conversion rate than the other players who took them in the league this season, and could now be on 13/14 goals for the season, which would look like a much better return in his first season. Ok, he had one saved by David James, but he is a superb shot-stopper and I don't think he should have been withdrawn from them unless he specificaly requested not to take them again (which I find unlikely in a striker).

Agree on the pens, Maynard is a quality finisher and can really strike a dead ball - he also takes a good direct free kick and I wouldn't mind seeing him have a crack at them too, he could hardly do worse than we are anyway.

Fair play to you for going 'scoting', good to hear from someone who has seen him actually play.

But I imagine if John scored at the rate Akinde has then his workrate might be overlooked...

If John played in the lower leagues he probably would.

I think youngsters need to be thrown in at the deep end as playing them in lower leagues means they adapt to the wrong level of competition. If a player is made to play championship football from the start then he'll be learning to play aagainst better opposition forcing him to adapt to the level of play. By putting them in lower leagues they have an easier time and then have a shock when they have to make that leap into championship football....

just my opinion

Berbatov doesn't work hard but he is one of the best. Goals is always more important than working hard, especially if you have a good midfield.

He'd better start working a bit harder, because he doesn't score goals and looks laze in every game I've seen him in!!

Rooney works his socks off, as does Macheda and Tevez.

This is getting ridiculous! What a player we could have on our hands.

Told ya!... ITS AKINDE MAGIC!! ...We better start learning the words!

One dream one soul, 9 starts

One (7) goal, another golden chance - 'its in the net'

It’s Akinde magic

One shaft of light that shows the way

No mortal man can win this day

It’s Akinde magic

Queen : Its A Kind of Magic .....- easy to adapt lyrics ready made for City/Akinde chants -

Fast forward to this time next season.....Elliot moved on, Orr 25 yellows ban, Carey injured again, Basso bruised his elbow after falling off his prayer cushion. GJ in hospital with glandular humility attack. LJ and Yessir at his bedside.

KM throws caution to the wind and selects.

Henderson

Ribiero J Wison Fontaine McAllister [?]

Sproule Skuse Artus McIndoe

Akinde Maynard.

In a hard fought open game, City go down 4-2, to WBA

Fast forward to this time next season.....Elliot moved on, Orr 25 yellows ban, Carey injured again, Basso bruised his elbow after falling off his prayer cushion. GJ in hospital with glandular humility attack. LJ and Yessir at his bedside.

Henderson

Akinde Maynard.

GJ was right all along. The youth let us down then!!

What does Maynard have that Akinde doesn't? I know Akinde is 2 years younger and dosen't have a 2.25m price tag hanging from his neck but I genuinely wonder what Akinde could achieve given a run in the side.

I think in Akinde we have a gem and I also believe he will go on to bigger and better things then Maynard. Just my opinion of course.

What does Maynard have that Akinde doesn't? I know Akinde is 2 years younger and dosen't have a 2.25m price tag hanging from his neck but I genuinely wonder what Akinde could achieve given a run in the side.

I think in Akinde we have a gem and I also believe he will go on to bigger and better things then Maynard. Just my opinion of course.

Maynards goal scoring record at league 1 over about 1.5 seasons is very impressive & theres no reason to think that playing for a good lg 2 side he might do as well as Akinde.

Fair play to Akinde - his goal rerturn has been immense & I really hope that we get to see a lot more of him next season. The thing that may differentiate him from Maynard, is that Akinde's pace & power will hopefully see him make more chances for himself rather that rely on us producing them.

The other point I'd make is that at the lower levels you seem to get a lot more chances per game. Whilst Akinde scored last night, apparently he'd earlier missed a free header. At this level you may only get one chance per game & you need to take it.

It's worth looking at the likes of Eastwood (3 goals this season) & Billy Sharp - both goal machines in Lg 1 & both seem to be failing at this level. In that context, Maynards 11 goals doesn't seem too shabby.

Maynards goal scoring record at league 1 over about 1.5 seasons is very impressive & theres no reason to think that playing for a good lg 2 side he might do as well as Akinde.

They're a league 1 side in waiting and to be honest there is no great difference between those two leagues any way, that's why so many promoted team go straight through L1 when promoted from L2.

Fair play to Akinde - his goal rerturn has been immense & I really hope that we get to see a lot more of him next season. The thing that may differentiate him from Maynard, is that Akinde's pace & power will hopefully see him make more chances for himself rather that rely on us producing them.

True and the reason why he could do better if you believe that our strikers don't get good service.

The other point I'd make is that at the lower levels you seem to get a lot more chances per game. Whilst Akinde scored last night, apparently he'd earlier missed a free header. At this level you may only get one chance per game & you need to take it.

As bad as the one Maynard missed at Blackpool? All strikers miss chances.

I thought gary didn't like the loan system!! - surely this is evidence that the loan system is good for all parties

+ with all our recent results would not have been that bad to give the lad the last 15 - 20 of each! anyway looks like it is working out for next season

Henderson

Akinde Maynard.

I think it's great when people jump out of bed in the middle of the night to immediately write their dreams down on the forum before they forget them.

Although, on a family forum, perhaps it's just as well that you choose to only enlighten us with your football related ones, R&R.

Or perhaps the mods been busy all night frantically deleting several far less suitable slumber inspired 'tales of the unexpected'? :tongue: :o:dunno:

I think it's great when people jump out of bed in the middle of the night to immediately write their dreams down on the forum before they forget them.

Although, on a family forum, perhaps it's just as well that you choose to only enlighten us with your football related ones, R&R.

Or perhaps the mods been busy all night frantically deleting several far less suitable slumber inspired 'tales of the unexpected'? :tongue: :o:dunno:

I think the words flippent and caustic come to mind, trying hard not to be offensive. Having my wrist slapped by someone younger than my children would have me banned for life.

Back on topic, out of Akinde,Artus,Wilson and Ribiero, if fit, who do you see playing the most games next season, also who would You like to see play a consistent role in the starting team.

I would like to hear from the 4 players where THEY want to play, what are their favourite positions. This is before they get played out of position and don't play to expectations.

I think the words flippent and caustic come to mind, trying hard not to be offensive.

Caustic? You've lost me a bit there, but apologies if my flippancy failed to tickle your funny bone on this occasion and only served to rile you instead. Humour ( or attempts at ) can be a minefield and my admittedly frivolous post was meant purely in friendly jest. You can't win 'em all.

Back on topic, out of Akinde,Artus,Wilson and Ribiero, if fit, who do you see playing the most games next season, also who would You like to see play a consistent role in the starting team.

Being serious now, I'd like to see them all make their mark by appearing in double figures next season and I see no reason why this shouldn't be the case. It will be interesting to see who leaves this Summer and whether GJ trusts some of these lads enough to not sign like for like first team replacements. I can see Wilson filling in regularly for an ever more frequently absent Carey and Akinde featuring regularly from the bench. The one I would like to see break through though is Artus because he seems to offer everything we already have in midfield plus the huge added bonus of being able to regularly find the net from that position. I've left Ribeiro until last because if Orr moves on, as rumoured, I'd expect him to start off as first choice right back and cement his place there. In general these players must be given their chance as their youth, enthusiasm and football skills could surely rejuvenate a tired looking set of players.

Well, we can dream, can't we. ;)

Archived