IGNORED

Elliott To Wolves - Another Rumour?

Andy082005

Please don't shoot the messenger, I am just literally passing on what I have heard this morning. More then likely just another rumour as its that time of year, but just interested me. APPARENTLY, Wolves have already made enquries about Elliott for next season, and the deal could involve Chris Iwelumo coming the other way.

Source, someone who works within the academy.

Like I said, just saying what I have heard, with regards the truth to it ......god knows. The reason I posted it as it kind of coincides with the Adebola contracts "stalling" and being put off for the time being.

Please don't shoot the messenger, I am just literally passing on what I have heard this morning. More then likely just another rumour as its that time of year, but just interested me. APPARENTLY, Wolves have already made enquries about Elliott for next season, and the deal could involve Chris Iwelumo coming the other way.

Like I said, just saying what I have heard, with regards the truth to it ......god knows. The reason I posted it as it kind of coincides with the Adebola contracts "stalling" and being put off for the time being.

Heard the same rumour myself about two weeks ago - only from "man in the ground" so didn't post anything at the time. Also mentioned fee being £3m

Deals like this not as straightforward as they seem - e.g. what if Iwelumo doesn't want to come here? Can't agree terms etc

Heard the same rumour myself about two weeks ago - only from "man in the ground" so didn't post anything at the time. Also mentioned fee being £3m

Deals like this not as straightforward as they seem - e.g. what if Iwelumo doesn't want to come here? Can't agree terms etc

Yeah normally just take these things with a pinch of salt, but having heard it myself....and then of course the whole Adebola contract situation, kind of adds together

Saying that, thats could be me putting 2 and 2 together and making 64

£3m + Iwelumo? Snap Mr McCarthy's hand off!!!

I suspect the big fella is valued quite highly and might have other CCC options - or even one of the big 2 in Scotland?

I'd settle for Marvin = big Chris plus a couple of their wingers!

I suspect the big fella is valued quite highly and might have other CCC options - or even one of the big 2 in Scotland?

I'd settle for Marvin = big Chris plus a couple of their wingers!

You strike a hard bargain Bully - but it would be nice!

As people have said, the emergence of Skuse and the Dele situation make this seem like a possible deal - for £3m we'd have to say our goodbyes to Marv, unfortunately.

Well if there is any truth in this, whatever deals happen with Wolves - remember that Gary Johnson and Mick McCarthy are very good friends so maybe McCarthy might do us some favours over other clubs he could potentially do deals with.

I hate that idea on both counts.

Losing Elliott would be a big blow, even for £3m. It would just put up the price of any player we went for.

Signing Iwelumo would indicate we're going to play more direct crap.

Wolves played quite attractively with Iwelumo in the team though? - I think if you have good wingers a big man in the team can be ok.

I hope not but if we lose Adebola as expected we will need a replacement .

The 'Elliott to Wolves rumour' must be the longest running in football...

I hate that idea on both counts.

Losing Elliott would be a big blow, even for £3m. It would just put up the price of any player we went for.

Signing Iwelumo would indicate we're going to play more direct crap.

Losing Elliot would be a big blow, but can you honestly see him staying if Wolves come in again?

It may be just a matter of getting the best deal we can - and we should be in a position to make it a very lucrative one - whether that includes Iwelumo or not.

Perhaps a proven striker is worth more to us than a percentage of the fee which could then disappear on another Styvar?

As for prices going up after selling Elliot, if they know he's going City could be a bit clever and sign replacement(s) before sanctioning a deal for Elliott.

After the Carle/Jones fiasco, probably the best way forward anyway.

Seen on another forum that the offer is 3.5 million - no mention of Iwelumo though

Agree with sipowicz on another thread when he says "I can't believe so many think Wolves are certain to come back for Elliott, he has missed as many games as he's played this season and has taken a while to hit form again after every injury." but guess time will tell

I'd be very disapointed to see Elliott go. I think if there was one player we have that would do well in the Premier League it's him. If he leaves we've got some serious issues in midfield.

Williams, Johnson, Skuse, Artus, Mcindoe, and maybe one more coming in to replace Marvin IF he GOES???? No issue for me there.

PS, I left Sprout out on purpose, Awful Player.

Having researched it about a month ago we had won as many as we had lost this season during Elliott's limited first team starts. While he is a good player I do think many over play his significance to the side. He was fantastic last season no doubt, this season he has been injured for the most part and patchy at best when appearing.

Where exactly this deal would leave Styvar is another matter. Having been largely restricted to substitute appearances I would have imagined any striker signing over the summer to have been with a view to backing up a Maynard/Styvar pairing, I guess if the offer is too good to turn down and we do not definitively know if Styvar will deliver, bringing in another with Championship experience would make sense. Let us not forget that John was a proven championship striker when he signed though and clearly that didnt turn out as planned.

Personally I would snap their hands off if such a deal exists, spend the money on a right winger and a new central midfielder, concluding it a fine bit of business by Johnson in the transfer market.

Williams, Johnson, Skuse, Artus, Mcindoe, and maybe one more coming in to replace Marvin IF he GOES???? No issue for me there.

PS, I left Sprout out on purpose, Awful Player.

McIndoe is a great player but I think in the Championship he is spending too much time drifting into the middle when we need a wider midfielder who will actually intimidate defenders. McIndoe imo isn't right for us unless we can get a more explosive attacking midfielder.

Johnson I just don't rate, don't get me wrong he's ok but he isn't the type of midfielder i could see playing in the Premier League.

Sproule as you mentioned is terrible.

Williams is looking more and more promicing but again we don't have any explosive midfielders who will open up games when we're struggling.

I think Elliott is one of the three players we have who i think will go on to be a Premier League player (either with us or by moving on), the other two being Maynard and Fontaine.

It's only my opinion but when you compare our midfield with the midfields of Wolves, Birmingham, Cardiff etc I think we are far behind in terms of quality.

I assure you 'red_man_dan' that my 'research' was rather more time consuming that visiting said site, although you could have just saved me much time for the future!

Not being entrusted with the life of England's most symbolic person today then?

I assure you 'red_man_dan' that my 'research' was rather more time consuming that visiting said site, although you could have just saved me much time for the future!

Not being entrusted with the life of England's most symbolic person today then?

NO, not today. Beth is not 'racing' this week. Her horse didnt even run saturday, she just doesnt have much to do these days.

On topic, elliot will not be going to wolves now that they have been promoted.

If Marvin does go, how about going for Tom Cleverley, the 19 year old man utd midfielder who was on loan at leicester? Obviously he is young, but he was called up for the england under 20 team prior to dislocating his shoulder. He also got a goal for the man u first team in his debut in a pre-season friendly last season against a south african club side (kaiser cheifs?). Does anyone have any other shouts? I would guess the cost would be 1-1.5 million. There is also my usual thought of Jordi Gomez, but he isnt exactly your midfield ball winner, And David George Best Cotterill who I reckon is as good as anyone in the championship on the right wing.

elliot will not be going to wolves now that they have been promoted.

Please tell us how you know that.

Wolves put a big bid in a few months ago when they already knew their likely destination was the Premier League.

Are you saying they were willing to spend 2m. on a player just to help them get promoted but who would then be discarded to the reserves after a few months?

I very much doubt that, I'm sure they saw Elliott as an improver who could establish himself in their Premier League squad and it's very likely they will use their now much stronger financial muscle to try again to force the deal through this Summer.

Please tell us how you know that.

Wolves put a big bid in a few months ago when they already knew their likely destination was the Premier League.

Are you saying they were willing to spend 2m. on a player just to help them get promoted but who would then be discarded to the reserves after a few months?

I very much doubt that, I'm sure they saw Elliott as an improver who could establish himself in their Premier League squad and it's very likely they will use their now much stronger financial muscle to try again to force the deal through this Summer.

I don't 'know' anything, sorry if thats how it came across. It was simply my opinion. I hold it because, yes you are right, wolves were willing to put in a big bid for him and i am sure they did at the time believe he could establish himself in the Premier League and they would have been buying him for the then (in the CCC) and the future in the prem. However they were not guaranteed a place in the prem at that point, and as such certain players would not have been willing to take the chance on them at that point. Established prem MF or those who were with teams going up and down for e.g would not have been willing to join them, but players such as elliiot (who had the potentiol but were't proved yet) would have been at that time. I think however now they are most certainly in the Premier League, wolves will have the luxury of a few more options and will be able to go for players who have already played prem football and proved themselves at that level and therefore will not need to take 'gambles' on players who may be able to play at that level. That is why i think Elliot will not go to Wolves, unless of course they still cant persuade the proven players to join them, a possibility. Simply, I don't think Elliot is as high on their shopping list as it may have once been, they are shopping at Waitrose now instead of tesco's.

I don't 'know' anything, sorry if thats how it came across. It was simply my opinion. I hold it because, yes you are right, wolves were willing to put in a big bid for him and i am sure they did at the time believe he could establish himself in the Premier League and they would have been buying him for the then (in the CCC) and the future in the prem. However they were not guaranteed a place in the prem at that point, and as such certain players would not have been willing to take the chance on them at that point. Established prem MF or those who were with teams going up and down for e.g would not have been willing to join them, but players such as elliiot (who had the potentiol but were't proved yet) would have been at that time. I think however now they are most certainly in the Premier League, wolves will have the luxury of a few more options and will be able to go for players who have already played prem football and proved themselves at that level and therefore will not need to take 'gambles' on players who may be able to play at that level. That is why i think Elliot will not go to Wolves, unless of course they still cant persuade the proven players to join them, a possibility. Simply, I don't think Elliot is as high on their shopping list as it may have once been, they are shopping at Waitrose now instead of tesco's.

Well, who knows, your take on the situation may be right.

I reckon, however, that Elliott is a long term McCarthy target and now he has the funds he'll go all out to get him.

After all Elliott is recognised as one of the Championship's top performers and therefore can be viewed as a player who will more than likely take the step up in his stride.

Marv's game could even thrive in the Premier League, and not too much risk at 3m. which may be a comparatively small fee compared with McCarthy's other options.

The difference between now and the January window is Wolves can now afford to pay whatever it takes to get Marvin and still possibly only use him as a squad player.

Elliot = surely only a matter of time till he leaves, unless we get promoted next year

Skuse = might be tempted by an offer in the summer if he his going to have to play second fiddle behind marv, but if we sell marv i reckon would be committed for a good few years being bristol born and bred.

Therefore although I think marv is better than Skuse, maybe we should cash in now and get some decent money to sort the positions we struggle in.

If we got iwelumo that would be a new striker sorted, spend a few quid on a class right winger, then get a couple of young prospects in with the change.

happy days

As mentione don other posts theres other Wolves players we could have a go at aswell/instead (Keogh/Vokes etc)

Archived