IGNORED

Elliott To Wolves - Another Rumour?

Andy082005

Well, who knows, your take on the situation may be right.

I reckon, however, that Elliott is a long term McCarthy target and now he has the funds he'll go all out to get him.

After all Elliott is recognised as one of the Championship's top performers and therefore can be viewed as a player who will more than likely take the step up in his stride.

Marv's game could even thrive in the Premier League, and not too much risk at 3m. which may be a comparatively small fee compared with McCarthy's other options.

The difference between now and the January window is Wolves can now afford to pay whatever it takes to get Marvin and still possibly only use him as a squad player.

I accept your points but i don't think wolves will have the money or inclination to pay over the odds for players, particulary ones such as marvin who have not played in the prem. They need to make the right signings at the right price because, if they have a sensible long term plan, they have to accept that they may come down again striaght away, so cannot afford to blow all their money for one season in the prem, its a case of maybe yo yowing for a bit and keeping money in reserve to rebuild a better equipped side over a few promotion/relegation seasons. That requires NOT buying 'gamble' players at inflated prices for one season. IMO this is the only way sides can keep a long term side in the prem and if you look back on recent history it is those sides doing the above (bar those who get a massive fund influx) that eventually sustain themselves fairly well in the top flight.

So i guess in some ways, Marvin could fit into that equation with them seeing him as a player who could learn his trade in the prem for a season with them next year and if they go down he will have that experience for them when they go up the next time.....well now I'm just confused. :noexpression:

'red_man_dan';

I'm glad you finished that post the way you did as I was reading thinking 'you're actually making a case for why Wolves will come after him and avoid Premier League 'proven' players!'

I think Marvin will be a Wolves player by the time the summer is out. And I also think that, despite losing one of our strongest players for it, we will have a more equipped squad to mount a play-off challenge.

on the assumption dele will be going i mentioned a few weeks back that iwelumo would be the perfect replacement, and on the basis he his unlikely to be in mick's Premier League plans we should get him as part of the elliott deal.

I don't think we will get 3m + iwelumo cos he must be worth 1m+ so i would guess that the deal as a whole will be worth 3 - 3.5m with us getting approx. 2m cash!!

i take it most people would be quite keen on iwelumo then?

i reckon he could do just the job for us. Providing he recovers quickly from that injury he has, hes only 30 so has a few good years left in him. Def potential for a partnership with Maynard, and again another player that Akinde can learn his trade from. If Akinde does develop, it would prob be around the time that iwelumo was starting to loose his legs.

I originally though bigger teams would come in for him, but now I'm not so sure? Has ther ebeen any suggestion he will def be surplus to requirements at wolves?

Failing that i reckon Blackstock would be worth a look

Williams is looking more and more promicing but again we don't have any explosive midfielders who will open up games when we're struggling.

In my opinion, this should be the role For GW. I would love to see him gain a regular central midfield role alongside a more defensive midfielder in the mould of Skuse or Elliott. Let him have the license to push on or even given a free role, like Gerrard does for Liverpool (no i am not comparing the two players before anyone jumps in)!!

The only thing is then, GJ either goes with one up top or has to drop LJ. I am one af the minority that actually like Lj as a player, but for me if i had to pick between the two it would be Williams every time.

**********WEALE**********

ORR**CAREY**FONTS**MACCA

NEW SIGNING***SKUSE/ELLIOTT**MCINDOE

**********WILLIAMS*********

*****MAYNARD****AKINDE

DELE

STYVAR

MCCOMBE

JOHNSON

BASSO

My Bro-in-Law is a season ticket holder at Wolves and he was saying this a few weeks back and I just laughed. Didn't mention Iwelumo coming the other way but said talk of £3m plus extras.

Interesting it's been brought up on here then.

MM

Id be suprised if Wolves wanted to let Iwelumo go to be honest, I'm shore he could do a job in the Prem, if Ricardo Fuller can I'm sure Iwelumo will be up to it..

Still if they offer 3mill plus Iwelumo we would be mad not to take it.

Given the lure of the Premier League, does Mick have to actually spend that much on a Champioship player when he could easily bring in a foreign player with more experience? And what about the pick of the relegated clubs?

The one thing that can prevent this deal going ahead is the multitude of options now available to Wolves.

Given the lure of the Premier League, does Mick have to actually spend that much on a Champioship player when he could easily bring in a foreign player with more experience? And what about the pick of the relegated clubs?

The one thing that can prevent this deal going ahead is the multitude of options now available to Wolves.

Perhaps, although surely the £3 million price has come after knowing they are Premier League bound.

They cant have made that much money in between January and now so I would assume that the figure/offer being banded around is with the hindsight of their Premier League status, rather than them, from seemingly nowhere, saying 'Ok, you didnt want to play ball in January (about £1.5 million was rumoured was it not?), so how about we now up the offer to £3 million and throw in an established striker who will greatly improve your squad.'

This deal is surely in the knowledge of their status rather than their status being a negative on any potential deal.

Fair point, he'd have to decide between a foreigner having the ability and having to learn the English way, or a Championship player, knowing more of the English style if football, but having to up their game. It'll probably be a mixture of the 2 (well 3 when you include the potential players from relegated clubs). I think it takes quite a while for someone coming from a different country to adapt, to general everyday life and football. We are seeing that with Styvar, who hopefully next season will come good, we shall see. A good example is Eduardo, although of better quality (probably) than Styvar, and what we/Wolves would be able to bring in, took a while to settle in I believe and then looked a bit handy!

And for the record I think Iwelumo would be a cracking aquisition, as long as he didn't go all Scotland (country) on us and repeat the miss from a yard. I jest, but yes, a good addition he would be, if it happened.

I'm not at all sure about this.

1, Would Marv choose (a) starting every game when fit at City

or (b) fighting for place with what Wolves already have+ whatever Mad Mick brings in?

2, Would we sell? don't need the money.

3, Will Mad Mick still be interested in Marvelous at that level?

However it will be interesting to see who is going to be surplus to requirement at Wolves as he cant keep all of those strikers happy as well as what he probably brings in..........can he?

or (b) fighting for place with what Wolves already have+ whatever Mad Mick brings in?

However it will be interesting to see who is going to be surplus to requirement at Wolves as he cant keep all of those strikers happy as well as what he probably brings in..........can he?

i think that Marvin given his constantly competitive nature on the field would thrive of the challenge of having to compete for his place, and i have no doubt in my mind that he would be able to do it :)

i mean look at stern john at southampton he was near enough garunteed a starting place at southampton just because of how high his wages were and it would have been a waste of money not to play him...........even though a lot of the time its just as big a waste of money playing him :(

1, money talks mate, and a football players career is short. Wolves could quite literally double his wages, even more maybe....then there is the signing on fee. Elliott isnt a Bristol City fan, and of course, he gives 100% and he is totally commited ....but its no different to leaving one job for another for him. Put yourselves in his shoes....if you played for someone like Preston, and Wolves come in .....would you go?

2, would we sell?? if Marv wants to go, it doesnt matter. If a player wants to leave, and the price is right....he'll leave

3, thats the key question....who knows

As for your last bit, no chance...he will probally look to bring in at least one proven striker.....therefore one or two may leave, and I think Iwelumo will be one. He is a great player, but in my eyes, only a shade better then Dele. As someone rightly put, he has scored goals because they created for him...they had the players behind him to support him. Would be interesting to see how Dele would have done in the Wolves team this year?

Archived