IGNORED

Celebrate Good Times...come On!

red badger

Now - here's a challenge to the miserablists out there for whom the glass is always half empty.

Like many on here I've watched a few decades of City home and away. And to nail my colours I don't recall a time when we had better players playing better football under a better manager or better Chair...this is a golden age.

Others don't see it that way....and so for the benefit of the young uns and those of us who maybe have faulty memories can anyone name any 5 consecutive City home matches which featured better goals than those we've seen in the last 5 at the Gate this season. For the record:

McAllitster v Coventry - screamer

Maynard v Cardiff - screamer

Maynard v Preston - brilliant assist and clinical finish

Elliott v Ipswich - deft

Johnson yesterday -"a strike worthy of any game"..Yorkshire Post

That's 5 consecutive City home matches with better goals... from any era...

:yahoo:

Now - here's a challenge to the miserablists out there for whom the glass is always half empty.

Like many on here I've watched a few decades of City home and away. And to nail my colours I don't recall a time when we had better players playing better football under a better manager or better Chair...this is a golden age.

Others don't see it that way....and so for the benefit of the young uns and those of us who maybe have faulty memories can anyone name any 5 consecutive City home matches which featured better goals than those we've seen in the last 5 at the Gate this season. For the record:

Elliott v Ipswich - deft

Sorry I must be missing something here, I thought the idea was to either score more goals than the opposition or prevent them from scoring more than you or a combination of the two.

Presumably you missed the 1970's?

Sorry I must be missing something here, I thought the idea was to either score more goals than the opposition or prevent them from scoring more than you or a combination of the two.

Presumably you missed the 1970's?

Thanks for taking the time to offer a sarcastic reply...appreciate that.

I'm talking quality of goals not just results...although they've been pretty good too this season compared with most of the past 30 years.

I didn't miss the 70s - but it's hard to remember them in detail...and it seems such a different game now.

I can't think of 5 better goals in consecutive games in my time...

Thanks for taking the time to offer a sarcastic reply...appreciate that.

I'm talking quality of goals not just results...although they've been pretty good too this season compared with most of the past 30 years.

I didn't miss the 70s - but it's hard to remember them in detail...and it seems such a different game now.

I can't think of 5 better goals in consecutive games in my time...

Sorry, I can't agree. I think the football we have been served up this season has been dire, and at times, yesterday included, sleep inducing. Gary Johnson, while he may have the best record of any modern City boss, has an awfully negative style of play, which goes along the lines of, score a goal, and then do all you can to hang on to it. Almost always we can't, hence the number of home draws. Even the majority of our victories have been by the odd goal. How I long for the days of the 4-0 win, or the 3-1, or even dare I say it 5-0. I just know that under GJ, this isn't remotely possible because in his mindset, one will always be enough.

How I long for the days of the 4-0 win, or the 3-1, or even dare I say it 5-0. I just know that under GJ, this isn't remotely possible because in his mindset, one will always be enough.

Last season

Coventry 3 - 0

Norwich 3 - 1

Barnsley 3 - 2

Preston 3 - 0

(and for what its worth Hull only won by more than 2 goals 6 times last season and still got promoted)

This season

Coventry 3 - 0

Donny 4 - 1

Watford 4 - 2

Last season

Coventry 3 - 0

Norwich 3 - 1

Barnsley 3 - 2

Preston 3 - 0

This season

Coventry 3 - 0

Donny 4 - 1

Watford 4 - 2

As we're talking about this season, and only this season, I wonder how those three fantastically attacking performances compare to the number of similar results by teams in the bottom 3. I've just checked and Charlton have 2 largish wins, Southampton have 3 and Norwich have 2.

Sorry Badger, but as good as the past few seasons may have been ( and yes, i know it`s not been that good of late ) i can honestly say that the week in week out experience of coming to the Gate is nothing now, when compared to the mid 70`s through to the 80`s ( well the 1st couple of years ).

I know the whole package has been diluted for one reason or another and it will never be the same, but, by god, those were the days. While i can`t claim to remember it with any real clarity, i`m sure there are plenty of pieces of footage to show just how good the football we played was back in those days, with goals of equal if not better quality than the ones you`ve listed.

I`m not generally a glass half empty chap but you have to admit, the past quarter of the season has been abysmal. Whatever the reasons were for that is besides the point now. As far as i`m concerned, get next sunday out of the way and then it`s time for GJ to get busy. Someone in another thread suggested he might need a break, i just hope he`s not planning a long one. There is a lot of work to be done.

PDG

Sorry Badger, but as good as the past few seasons may have been ( and yes, i know it`s not been that good of late ) i can honestly say that the week in week out experience of coming to the Gate is nothing now, when compared to the mid 70`s through to the 80`s ( well the 1st couple of years ).

I know the whole package has been diluted for one reason or another and it will never be the same, but, by god, those were the days. While i can`t claim to remember it with any real clarity, i`m sure there are plenty of pieces of footage to show just how good the football we played was back in those days, with goals of equal if not better quality than the ones you`ve listed.

I`m not generally a glass half empty chap but you have to admit, the past quarter of the season has been abysmal. Whatever the reasons were for that is besides the point now. As far as i`m concerned, get next sunday out of the way and then it`s time for GJ to get busy. Someone in another thread suggested he might need a break, i just hope he`s not planning a long one. There is a lot of work to be done.

PDG

Fair play...although as a regular in 80, 81, 82 and 83 I can't tell you how pleased I am to leave those days behind. Its taken us 30 years to recover from the mismanagement of the late 70s...however good the football was back then....and yes, the last patch of this season was poor but we were rarely outplayed. Let's hope GJ signs the top quality players on the up he was talking about on Radio Bristol on Saturday...he doesn't strike me as the sort of bloke who takes much of a break....

Elliott v Ipswich - deft

Good goals all, but.......... the problem is most of our goals are good goals and we hardly ever score the ordinary goals, or tap ins, on top which would make the screamers mean something.

Quality, not quantity and it's been that way for some time now.

Exactly the same last season, remember the play-offs?

As for quality of goals scored in the '70's - old First Division - if you ever look at videos of that era most of the City goals were scrappy.

Barring Cheese's header, Norman's free kick, and the odd Jimmy Mann thunderbolt of course. :winner_third_h4h:

Last season

Coventry 3 - 0

Norwich 3 - 1

Barnsley 3 - 2

Preston 3 - 0

(and for what its worth Hull only won by more than 2 goals 6 times last season and still got promoted)

This season

Coventry 3 - 0

Donny 4 - 1

Watford 4 - 2

Wow. Three times we've been entertained then this season!! I didn't realise it was that many - roll on next season!!

Face facts - GJ is a defensively minded manager - as many have said he literally instructs his team to try and hang on to a 1-0 lead most weeks (we fail more often than not too) and as much as a shock that it may be to some on here there are people out there who would like to watch football that is a little bit more attacking from next season (accepting that the current style has been relatively successful but appears to be in need of an overhaul). Now you could tell me to not bother coming down or to "bugger off up the Gloucester Road" if I don't like the football on offer but that is an immature kop out for not providing a proper answer that addresses the point being made isn't it?

Wow. Three times we've been entertained then this season!! I didn't realise it was that many - roll on next season!!

Face facts - GJ is a defensively minded manager - as many have said he literally instructs his team to try and hang on to a 1-0 lead most weeks (we fail more often than not too) and as much as a shock that it may be to some on here there are people out there who would like to watch football that is a little bit more attacking from next season (accepting that the current style has been relatively successful but appears to be in need of an overhaul).

Agreed. Even last season City weren't playing free flowing football under Johnson. City won lots of games 1-0 by defending well and getting a lot of good fortune. Its fair to say that City haven't played free flowing football this season either but that last seasons good fortune has deserted us.

Danny Wilson had his critics but at least he had his team playing some decent stuff with an attacking attitude. Why he became defensive for the play-off final will always be a mystery. Wilson's playing style didn't always come off as but overall his sides were good to watch.

Imo Johnson allows his defenders to play far too many long balls. It reminds sometimes of the dire stuff that Osman served up and of when Millen was playing. He liked nothing more than putting his boot through the ball. Maybe its his influence that allows the current defenders to get away with it. Stop them doing it and you force them into playing proper football - namely passing to a teamate.

That said you have to have players that have the confidence and ability to play with the ball at their feet and maybe City just don't have enough of those in the current squad - certainly not in defence. Maybe we'll see some 'good on the ball' defenders joining City during the summer.

Elliott v Ipswich - deft

Seriously?

Agreed- they were all good goals but is that really enough to be getting all excited about? nevermind the other 89 minutes and 59 seconds in a match that quite frankly of late have been drab, boring and completely uninspiring. :fastasleep:

Was going to Burnley but Ican't face it so roll on next season and let's hope we get back to 'entertaining' the punters.

Elliott v Ipswich - deft

Althoug the season hasn't quite worked out the way we wanted... but this is a golden period in the clubs history and the amount of people staying behind saturday to thank the players for their efforts shows what the small minded negativity by some on this board is somewhat ridiculous.

Did you see Birmingham's lap of honour in front of an empty stadium at St Andrews?

As for someone on here saying "at least Danny Wilson's team played entertaining football" Yea he utterly frustrated with an inability to make subs - it was at a lower standard..... OH AND WE NEVER WON ANYTHING * i discount the Auto Windscreen Trophy*!!

Everytime i come on this board it drives me mad. Some of you need some happy pills..... or to start following Man United.

Althoug the season hasn't quite worked out the way we wanted... but this is a golden period in the clubs history and the amount of people staying behind saturday to thank the players for their efforts shows what the small minded negativity by some on this board is somewhat ridiculous.

Did you see Birmingham's lap of honour in front of an empty stadium at St Andrews?

As for someone on here saying "at least Danny Wilson's team played entertaining football" Yea he utterly frustrated with an inability to make subs - it was at a lower standard..... OH AND WE NEVER WON ANYTHING * i discount the Auto Windscreen Trophy*!!

Everytime i come on this board it drives me mad. Some of you need some happy pills..... or to start following Man United.

Actually, all things given i was a little disappointed by the number of people who left BEFORE the walk around. Also, negativity is`nt neccessarily small minded. Many people have pointed out negatives that GJ himself has acknowledged, so by your standards i guess that`s GJ being small minded too eh ? There`s nothing wrong with debating about the club we love, there`s certainly no point in brushing any criticism under the carpet like it doesn`t exist and continuing with a simpletons smile on your face.

Hopefully i`ve managed to make this post as ridiculous as possible and you can file it with all the others you find that fit that bill.

PDG

Archived