IGNORED

Premier League Two

Loderingo

Haven't seen any other threads on this proposed Premier League 2 elsewhere. The idea that has been put forward by the Bolton Chairman is to have two divisions of 18 and include Rangers and Celtic. There would only be 1 relegation place to the football league. Now my assumption was that if this goes ahead we would be included in the new Premier League 2 based on our top half Championship finish. However, the following article suggests otherwise...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/200...15875-21310110/

Now I realise this is the Mirror and Simon Jordan talking but if this is what they are really planning it would be pretty outrageous as presumably riff raff like us, Burnley, Preston, Swansea etc wouldn't be invited despite being top half Championship clubs while the likes of Southampton, Charlton, Norwich, Leeds etc would despute failing miserably on the pitch. Interestingly Portsmouth wouldn't meet the criteria despite already being in Premier League 1....

It's one thing if they set up a new league based on merit as they did with the original Premier League, it's another altogether if they try and set up a closed shop for the big clubs. Could they get away with it? Not sure. The outrage would be pretty huge.

I agree that there could be some sense in doing this based initially on merit, although only if it stops the big four from dominating every year (which it won't - we need to wait for one of them to go bust or the Champions League to go back to being Champions only). I still think you'd need at least two relegation spots.

The plans as currently suggested are ridiculous. What if Doncaster got promoted. Would they be refused entry on the basis that their stadium isn't as empty as Blackburn's? What about Wigan? If they got relegated from the Prem would they be relegated two divisions because all of a sudden their stadium is the wrong size.

Personally I think they should kick the big four out of the Prem into a European Super League and let us get back to a decent league structure. Even when the Prem race is interesting it's boring, and I find it depressing that my ambition for City is to one day see us finish 5th in the Prem and fluke our way to a Carling Cup win while throwing the UEFA Cup in the quarters because our players are too tired.

THis wont happen. Firstly no way will mid range Prem clubs entertain the notion of Celtic and Rangers coming down, that's just a non-starter straight away.

As for the criteria, it's possible with the FA's blessing, but they wouldn't do this without a significant bedding in period to allow continuity of the pryramid system in the short term. Any break away league would just see the big four go off to a Euro League, leaving the Prem brand worthless overnight anyway.

There's simply too many potential losers.

Haven't seen any other threads on this proposed Premier League 2 elsewhere.

About a year ago during the Summer break (I thunk). The really annoying point would be no promo between the remains of the Football League and Prem 2.

It's one thing if they set up a new league based on merit as they did with the original Premier League, it's another altogether if they try and set up a closed shop for the big clubs. Could they get away with it? Not sure. The outrage would be pretty huge.

Relax, the whole concept is ridiculous and it ain't going to happen.

The idea that has been put forward by the Bolton Chairman is to have two divisions of 18 and include Rangers and Celtic. There would only be 1 relegation place to the football league.

And that's the real reason for this joke of a scheme......self preservation......reduce the number of relegation places to give Bolton Wanderers the best possible chance of staying in the Premier League.

Shock news: chairman of team frequently involved in Premier League relegation fights proposes extension of Premier League. Whatever next?

Oh, and for the record this would be a terrible idea, mainly because it's yet another attempt by Rangers and Celtic to leapfrog themselves into the Prem with no justification. If they want to play in this country, they can start in the Unibond League and work their way up like evryone else.

I wonder if Paul Scally is still keen for this to go through now, he was one of the original lot that didn't want any relegation from the championship. P'raps not then Paul.

That statement from Jordan about Rangers and Celtic effectively buying themselves into this structure is astonishing, how about us Mr Jordan, if we have enough money, can we pay for ourselves to go into the top flight too.

I assume that Palace and Bolton are not going to meet the set criteria then? :noexpression:

Shock news: chairman of team frequently involved in Premier League relegation fights proposes extension of Premier League. Whatever next?

Oh, and for the record this would be a terrible idea, mainly because it's yet another attempt by Rangers and Celtic to leapfrog themselves into the Prem with no justification. If they want to play in this country, they can start in the Unibond League and work their way up like evryone else.

Here here. In a slightly unrelated matter, does anyone else think that it is a disgrace what the F.A. have done to Team Bath?

If this Premier 1 and 2 happens then clubs like us should just say b*ll*cks to the Premier league. Let them do their own thing - we'll do ours. In effect this could totally divide the leagues like football was in the early days.

can you imagine if it was the SPL where all the money was and them discussing trying to help out English clubs? never in a million years!!!!!

they hate us and should never be allowed anywhere near our leagues, in fact lets kick the welsh teams out as well, they'd never do anything to help us either so sod'em!

Only in the mad and greedy world of football. The Championship is a fantastic League, good football, hugely unpredictable, and a very fine line between the top and bottom. This daft proposal will just give us two over-hyped but predictable Leagues, and with only 1 relegation spot, Prem 2 will be very dull for the lower mid-table sides. It goes against the principle of sport, with performance being the key criteria, public order could be an issue with Rangers and Celtic, in fact the scheme fails on all counts.

Just imagine, much of the season will be dull, meaningless games - Every game after Christmas will be like the Wednesday game!

I think its a horrible idea!

The pyramid system is fine, leave it, what we need to do is find some way of sharing the wealth of the prem and filter it down the leagues. The top clubs are slowly ruining the football league in this country.

And whats worse?

Its the so called 'fans' of these clubs...Mr Man Utd fan from Oldham, Macclesfield or Hartlepool. Mr Liverpool fan from Worcester, Tranmere or the West Country.You get the picture. Glory hunters are a sad stain on all of this, they are the reasons their home town clubs are going under.

Guest bigcheese

Silly idea apart from "The Gartside plan proposes controls on wages and the debt level limits - a move that would be welcomed by the FA."

He is speaking as a board member of the F.A, not a selfish Prem chairman.

and in view of the carnage rangers fans caused in Manchester recently, who would want them in their city ........

plus who decides at what level they enter any proposed league .........

and they way the league puter works ........ away in Glasgow on a weekday night ........... what a nice thought.

as was stated before ....... our leagues don't need them ......... if they want to join, ... which i'm sure contravines some uefa law. let them start outside the leagues and work their way up.

i bet the french idiot Platini is behind this somewhere, an scottish/french ploy to undermine our leagues

:englandsmile4wf:

They only way to make the premier league fair is to introduce a salary cap.

It will even things up. Then its down the the management to get the right formula for a team to work. Not just buy in foreign talent.

Secondly it will help promote our young players as when the big stars get long term injuries, they will be unable to replace them with another big star as the cap will be full.

It works in NHL hockey well.

Regards

Steve

I think its a horrible idea!

The pyramid system is fine, leave it, what we need to do is find some way of sharing the wealth of the prem and filter it down the leagues. The top clubs are slowly ruining the football league in this country.

And whats worse?

Its the so called 'fans' of these clubs...Mr Man Utd fan from Oldham, Macclesfield or Hartlepool. Mr Liverpool fan from Worcester, Tranmere or the West Country.You get the picture. Glory hunters are a sad stain on all of this, they are the reasons their home town clubs are going under.

I agree entirely on all scores, just greed, old tv wealth system would be great and glory supporters are leaches who kill their local team.

To the poster who made the NHL point, I agree and a draft system would even thigns up.

Celtic and Rangers are not going to forgo the riches and prestige of the Champions League to be mediocre Premier 2 teams. Let's be realistic, aside from the odd one-off meeting with a decent English side where the Scottish duo raise their games considerably,they won't find too many Hamiltons and Falkirks in our top 2 divisions, and will simply not be good enough to challenge the 'Big 4'. Better to be SPL sharks than Premier League Kippers!!!

Guest ashtonyate
Celtic and Rangers are not going to forgo the riches and prestige of the Champions League to be mediocre Premier 2 teams. Let's be realistic, aside from the odd one-off meeting with a decent English side where the Scottish duo raise their games considerably,they won't find too many Hamiltons and Falkirks in our top 2 divisions, and will simply not be good enough to challenge the 'Big 4'. Better to be SPL sharks than Premier League Kippers!!!

It would be world war 3 ever away game they played in England no way would that be allowed to happen

Archived