IGNORED

Dele Is Off

Pickle Rick

Oh really!

In a division where any team can beat any other. Probably the tightest and most exciting division of all. You can claim that next season with or without Elliott we wont be at risk from relegation. Despite the fact that we have been down there this season and gone as much as 8 games without a win twice you can assure us that we wont be down there next season! Phew thats a relief!

Has'nt marvin been injured most of the season?? our best run has been of form has been without him - we are currently in a comfortable 10th position. Thats what I base my opinion on.

You can say "I don't accept that" as much as you like but the fact is Dele has been a key player for us this season (especially after Christmas)and selling him to make a quick buck in January could have been an extremely expensive error!

COULD have been an expensive error. but I doubt it. For me, we never looked like promotion candidates even when we were top 6. I was always confident that we would finish roughly 10th. Losing dele may have seen us drop down a couple of places, but I feel a replacement could have been found, depending on how late the bid was made??

Has'nt marvin been injured most of the season?? our best run has been of form has been without him - we are currently in a comfortable 10th position. Thats what I base my opinion on. Youre right and for what its worth i don't think we will get relegated either but the point is nobody can be sure of what will happen next season or what would have happened this season! On paper not selling him for 300k/400k looks like a bad decision but you cannot say that we wouldnt have gone into freefall without him because despite him only being one man the team has proved that it is easy to show relegation form.

COULD have been an expensive error. but I doubt it. For me, we never looked like promotion candidates even when we were top 6. I was always confident that we would finish roughly 10th. Losing dele may have seen us drop down a couple of places, but I feel a replacement could have been found, depending on how late the bid was made?? Yes thats right COULD See you said it yourself! Could means that it was a possibilty. Something that had to be considered! Of course i am sure that if we had have sold him and things went t1ts up you would have been on here saying "yeah so what we got relegated.....at least we got 300k/400k for Dele back in January" wouldnt you?

It could be said that luckily Gj at that time didnt have the same short sighted, money oriantated way of thinking that you did!

Give Dele what he wants!! How Much is Trundle costing Us? and he Don't Play!!!! Get Rid Of Tundle, keep Dele, and we will still save money,and get better value for it!!

I expect getting rid of Trundle is easier said than done... and it would be crazy to give Dele a 2 year deal. Season after next we could find ourselves in the same position as we are with Trunds. A striker past it on high wages, that no one wants!!

Give Dele what he wants!! How Much is Trundle costing Us? and he Don't Play!!!! Get Rid Of Tundle, keep Dele, and we will still save money,and get better value for it!!

See i am not so sure Trundle wont still be with us next season!

I don't know for sure how much he is on but i am guessing its quite a bit!

Not sure if i am right in this but doesnt Trundle leaving depend on whether he is prepared to take a pay cut? I am guessing nobody will pay the same sort of money he is on now so if he thinks sod it i will just see out my contract arent we kinda screwed?

Unless he starts to play!

Donkee,

without Dele we COULD have won the league, probabaly not BUT COULD!! :doh:

Youre right Riaz we could!

The decision Gj had to make was is it worth the risk of selling him at that time! You think it was which is fine and GJ thought it wasnt because it could have backfired.

What i don't get is why you like you said "don't accept that"

But we can't lose,the boss thinks dele is good for 1 more year, so try to off load trundle and save lot of money on his wages+ get 1 hopfully 2 years out of a player that plays!!! He as been much better value than trundle!! if he fails in 2 year, we have not lost any thing cos we would of had trundle on books anyway!!!

I was one who was not over the moon when we signed Dele but the second half of this season he has done well for the club and has been our first choice striker when fit so.......

Why don't we offer him a 2 year deal ??????

I know he's old and may not be able to play 90mins every Sat Tues Sat but surely you would want to keep your first choice striker when the other strikers are either

shipped out on loan (presumably cause GJ dosn't think they are ready for first team football yet)

not in the squad (presumably cause Gj either dosn't think they are good enough or are not ready as in the likes of Plummer)

or are only on loan to us and probably destined for pastures new in the summer.

I just don't get it when we offer other fringe players contracts.

My instinct tells me we should have offered Dele a two-year deal, irrespective of his age. But, that's only because we're desperately short of goals despite having numerous strikers. At the moment he's the best we've got/had. I just hope we get someone else at the beginning of the summer rather than waiting until the end when all the good buys have gone.

I only believe right now that Dele should be held onto because I have no idea if Johnson has a replacement lined up. The ol' 'rumour mill' has Dele possibly off to QPR. Would he be picked regularly? Probably not. But, I'm sure he'll get a nice tidy weekly wage.

Let's be honest, we just need a 20 goal a season (at least) striker, and another who can chip in with a dozen or so. Dele is not prolific but so far neither is Maynard. Who knows.

My instinct tells me we should have offered Dele a two-year deal, irrespective of his age. But, that's only because we're desperately short of goals despite having numerous strikers. At the moment he's the best we've got/had. I just hope we get someone else at the beginning of the summer rather than waiting until the end when all the good buys have gone.

I only believe right now that Dele should be held onto because I have no idea if Johnson has a replacement lined up. The ol' 'rumour mill' has Dele possibly off to QPR. Would he be picked regularly? Probably not. But, I'm sure he'll get a nice tidy weekly wage.

Let's be honest, we just need a 20 goal a season (at least) striker, and another who can chip in with a dozen or so. Dele is not prolific but so far neither is Maynard. Who knows.

exactly, this is all conjecture at the mo. if for example we do get iwelumo (who i do think is out of our range, but has been rumoured on here). and he gets 15 goasl for us next year then it will be dele who?? if we sign a foreign import or lower league player and they are in and out of the side not reaching double figures there will be a load of people moaning if dele does okay at another club. the correctness of GJ's decision to only offer bola 1 year will only be seen in due course by the quality of the replacement.

I don't see the big problem with him going and cant quite see why everyone is getting so upset, he misses as many as he scores and does not get as many assists as i would expect, yes he can be a handfull but the last time i checked he had only notched 10 goals or so. IMO he will not be as big a loss as is being made out, he cant play 2 games in a week so GJ is definatley right not to offer a 2 year deal. Next season with a few adjustments in midfield which will mean we can start playing to Nicky maynards strengths rather than asking him to rely on scraps we will see what a striker Maynard is alongside Akinde or Lita!!!

It's about responsibility not blame....

Johnson expected Adebola to sign and he hasn't . I'm not criticising I'm just saying it has it is.

Johnson did clearly 'misread' the situation with Adebloa otherwise he would of gone in January knowing that he had no intention to sign the deal.

No problem it happens in football, no need to jump to his defense.

Thats just supposition on your part. Maybe Johnson thought that regardless of what was going to happen in the summer it was better keeping Adebola for the rest of the season, than selling him for an amount much less than we'd need to get a replacement.

I don't see Johnson as particularly having got it right or wrong, it just happened.

Same as at Palace. Had they sold Watson last Summer they'd have got more for him. The flipside is that they had the benefit of him playing their from Aug - Jan. Around Jan they weren't out of the PO race, had they kept him, who knows they could have got promoted via the PO's. Warnock didn't get it right or wrong, he just made a decision, same as Johnson.

I actually don't feel Maynard is that far off being one, when you look back at the season as a whole.

He's missed a few 'sitters' which suggests he's getting in positions to score, but just missed the target. I feel his finishing will only improve next season and he'll make less of these errors (if that's the right word).

I also feel he should have been given the penalties from the off. Yes, he had one saved by England's goalkeeper, but I couldn't understand the logic in giving the penalties to McIndoe and Bradley Orr (although I haven't checked how many of those were taken with Maynard on the field, in fairness).

Had Maynard been our penalty taker, he'd possibly be on 14/15 goals now and looking much better value for money in terms of simple, cold statistics. Look at McCormack at Cardiff - a 20 goal Championship striker this season, but with the same number from open play as Maynard.

A slight improvement in Maynard's finishing and given the penalty taker role will see him go close to 20 next season, in my opinion. I'd be very surprised if he doesn't get 15/16 in 09/10 on that basis.

Only three Championship players have over 20+ this season and, as I say, that includes McCormack who has 10 penalties to his name.

Thats just supposition on your part. Maybe Johnson thought that regardless of what was going to happen in the summer it was better keeping Adebola for the rest of the season, than selling him for an amount much less than we'd need to get a replacement.

I don't see Johnson as particularly having got it right or wrong, it just happened.

Same as at Palace. Had they sold Watson last Summer they'd have got more for him. The flipside is that they had the benefit of him playing their from Aug - Jan. Around Jan they weren't out of the PO race, had they kept him, who knows they could have got promoted via the PO's. Warnock didn't get it right or wrong, he just made a decision, same as Johnson.

Of course no one knows for sure what Gary would of done in January had he of known Dele had no intention of signing but I think it's fair to assume had he of known Gary would not of played him.

Look at Orr and Keogh when they refused to accept deals, they were dropped from the squad as was Dele after he confirmed to Johnson he wouldn't be signing the deal.... thus for you to suggest that he would of played even in the knowledge that he no intention of signing his deal doesn't follow any trend or pattern of Johnson's behaviour as shown in the past in similar situations.

I have little doubt had Johnson of known 'his head was elsewhere' and he had no intention of signing the 12 month deal he of accepted the bid from Forest in the window.

Of course no one knows for sure what Gary would of done in January had he of known Dele had no intention of signing but I think it's fair to assume had he of known Gary would not of played him.

Look at Orr and Keogh when they refused to accept deals, they were dropped from the squad as was Dele after he confirmed to Johnson he wouldn't be signing the deal.... thus for you to suggest that he would of played even in the knowledge that he no intention of signing his deal doesn't follow any trend or pattern of Johnson's behaviour as shown in the past in similar situations.

I have little doubt had Johnson of known 'his head was elsewhere' and he had no intention of signing the 12 month deal he of accepted the bid from Forest in the window.

You don't, I do. People on here try & pigeon hole Johnson as this or that, but funnily enough, like most folk he is pretty 3 dimensional. At heart all managers are pragmatic & I guess Johnson is to.

Cast your mind back to the hand grenade - my understanding is that 3 players had a go back, Stewart, Phillips & Carey. It's not coincidence that we got rid of a past it striker & a keeper that couldn't take crosses, yet we retained a damn good centre back.

The same applies with Dele & Bradley, I am sure that Johnson saw Orr as more expendable than Dele, hence they got different treatment (having said that Johnson ended up playing Orr, even before he committed to us).

It's not about following trends or patterns, it's about doing what he thinks is right for the team. I honestly don't beleive that he's very shocked that Dele prefers a 2 year contract to our offer of 1.

I don't think it's fair to compare the situation with Dele to that with Bradley Orr. Dele is an experienced pro who was only ever going to be with us for a year or two before moving on, and Johnson will have known that Dele would have to play his best during the last few months in order to give himself the best chance of a good contract.

I trust Johnson's judgement on this one and think a one year offer is fair, even if it was offered knowing Dele would probably refuse it. We don't know what Johnson's got planned for the summer, we don't know what Styvar will be like next season and we don't know what the budget is. If losing Dele means signing the creative midfielder who can lay on 25 goals for Nicky Maynard next year would anyone want to keep Dele? Of course things are never that simple but these are the calculated gambles that managers are paid to take.

You don't, I do. People on here try & pigeon hole Johnson as this or that, but funnily enough, like most folk he is pretty 3 dimensional. At heart all managers are pragmatic & I guess Johnson is to.

Cast your mind back to the hand grenade - my understanding is that 3 players had a go back, Stewart, Phillips & Carey. It's not coincidence that we got rid of a past it striker & a keeper that couldn't take crosses, yet we retained a damn good centre back.

The same applies with Dele & Bradley, I am sure that Johnson saw Orr as more expendable than Dele, hence they got different treatment (having said that Johnson ended up playing Orr, even before he committed to us).

It's not about following trends or patterns, it's about doing what he thinks is right for the team. I honestly don't beleive that he's very shocked that Dele prefers a 2 year contract to our offer of 1.

Johnson has always been consistent as far as if your head is not with Bristol City he won't play you, there are many examples of this in the past so I'm surprised you're arguing the toss on that one. Not to mention the interview I posted where Johnson claimed he was sure Adebola would sign the deal.

Your right to point out Orr did play prior to his deal being signed but wasn't his hand forced in this matter due to injurys and suspensions?

In fear of going around in circles I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

I actually don't feel Maynard is that far off being one, when you look back at the season as a whole.

He's missed a few 'sitters' which suggests he's getting in positions to score, but just missed the target. I feel his finishing will only improve next season and he'll make less of these errors (if that's the right word).

I also feel he should have been given the penalties from the off. Yes, he had one saved by England's goalkeeper, but I couldn't understand the logic in giving the penalties to McIndoe and Bradley Orr (although I haven't checked how many of those were taken with Maynard on the field, in fairness).

Had Maynard been our penalty taker, he'd possibly be on 14/15 goals now and looking much better value for money in terms of simple, cold statistics. Look at McCormack at Cardiff - a 20 goal Championship striker this season, but with the same number from open play as Maynard.

A slight improvement in Maynard's finishing and given the penalty taker role will see him go close to 20 next season, in my opinion. I'd be very surprised if he doesn't get 15/16 in 09/10 on that basis.

Only three Championship players have over 20+ this season and, as I say, that includes McCormack who has 10 penalties to his name.

Indeed he has. Could easily have doubled his tally had he taken a few of them.

I do think Maynard has shown some promise this season but am also a little disappointed with only 11 goals to his name. He did seem to realise, rather quickly, that in this division you have to make things happen and that chances don't just fall on a plate to you. And, he did progressively get stronger as the season went on. I do wish he'd cut out those stupid little one touch flicks that he does that never seem to come off. I guess I expected a little too much from him this year. Told a friend that he'd score 21 goals this season! Still, expect more next season. Although I'd still be happy with another striker.

Can't believe that half of McCormack's goals have come from penalties. And he's missed the last two if I'm not mistaken.

I do think Maynard has shown some promise this season but am also a little disappointed with only 11 goals to his name. He did seem to realise, rather quickly, that in this division you have to make things happen and that chances don't just fall on a plate to you. And, he did progressively get stronger as the season went on. I do wish he'd cut out those stupid little one touch flicks that he does that never seem to come off. I guess I expected a little too much from him this year. Told a friend that he'd score 21 goals this season! Still, expect more next season. Although I'd still be happy with another striker.

Can't believe that half of McCormack's goals have come from penalties. And he's missed the last two if I'm not mistaken.

I think if you were writing Maynards report it would be "ok, can do better".

One I have noticed though is that we don't seem to "pick" his runs very well. Quite often he is in a good position but the ball goes elsewhere. Hopefully we'll improve on this next season.

Don't get me wrong - I definitely agree we need another striker with Adebola leaving, Styvar pretty untried and Trundle probably on his way if we can find a taker.

I'd like us to sign Vokes, who GJ had a clearly stated interest in once before (if I recall correctly) and who has been a substitute for Wolves for most of the season. I can't imagine he'll get much of a look in at Premier League level, so he may be available at a price.

Vokes has also scored 8 goals this season, despite being a sub for most of it, so may be that auxilliary goalscorer alongside a more prolific Maynard.

I don't know if Vokes is a realistic target, he's still only 20 and already a Welsh international. He's maybe one for the future for Wolves. More realistic targets could be Iwelumo or Keogh and if they still want Elliott then we can do some bargaining there.

11 goals in 33 starts for Maynard at 22 years of age in his first season in the Championship - I think that's pretty good. Next season, more experienced and with more confidence he'll bury the sitters he missed such as ones at Blackpool, Sheff Wed and Derby.

GJ has already mentioned signing "one or two" strikers this summer, so I suspect at least one will be coming in.

I just hope that (a) the new one will be a step up in class from what we have so far and that (b) Johnson doesn't believe all City's problems can be solved by signing different strikers.

I don't know if Vokes is a realistic target, he's still only 20 and already a Welsh international. He's maybe one for the future for Wolves. More realistic targets could be Iwelumo or Keogh and if they still want Elliott then we can do some bargaining there.

11 goals in 33 starts for Maynard at 22 years of age in his first season in the Championship - I think that's pretty good. Next season, more experienced and with more confidence he'll bury the sitters he missed such as ones at Blackpool, Sheff Wed and Derby.

Whilst he won't get a glut of goals Keogh seems to bring out the best in his strike partner. He would also tick all the boxes in terms of being a team player.

Johnson & Mad Mick seem to get on pretty well - maybe Vokes on a season long loan ??

I wouldn't be disappointed with Iwelumo - not the most pleasing on the eye, but a real handful.

Archived