IGNORED

Still Progressing

Percy Parrot

I do find that one very strange. Why spend significant money on a player in January who will have no impact this season when he's available for free in the summer? He's never had interest from bigger leagues before and at 28/29 it's hard to believe that there will be a number of clubs suddenly clamouring for his signature. Makes no sense to me. I think GJ signed him to play this season and he hasn't been good enough. Hopefully he will be next season but I don't hold out much hope because I haven't seen even a glimmer of something there so far.

GJ needs players to be very fit and to have a good understanding of their role in the team. Often that seems to take time - up to 6 months in some cases, Williams being a good example.

Perhaps Johnson and Lansdown decided in view of this that it was worth the outlay in order to have an extra 6 months to work with the player. I'm sure Johnson would have loved him to be ready right away but at least the extra time should mean he's ready to start next season in his best form.

If he doesn't start next season brilliantly then maybe Johnson has made a mistake.

GJ needs players to be very fit and to have a good understanding of their role in the team. Often that seems to take time - up to 6 months in some cases, Williams being a good example.

Perhaps Johnson and Lansdown decided in view of this that it was worth the outlay in order to have an extra 6 months to work with the player. I'm sure Johnson would have loved him to be ready right away but at least the extra time should mean he's ready to start next season in his best form.

If he doesn't start next season brilliantly then maybe Johnson has made a mistake.

IMO all of GJ's good signings have looked like good signings from very early in their time here even if they did need time to settle. There were signs, glimpses of what they could do. I've not seen any in Styvar's case. I hope I'm wrong and he's awesome but I don't see him getting much first team football for us next season.

In these mercenary days where money talks, I think the deciding factor is how much we're willing to pay and for how long - that's what attracts players to clubs. You, and Johnson himself, may state that you want someone who'll 'play for the shirt' and will fit into Johnson's squad philosophy, but perhaps that's why we haven't been able to attract bigger names in the first place - that and the fact that, like it or not, we are not a 'fashionable' club (whatever that means!).

I was interested to read (last week?) that Hennesy and Henry at Wolves have been earning £5k per week, so in terms of wages I think we can be pretty competitive apart from relegated teams who have parachute payments to help them short term.

We also don't seem shy about splashing out big money for a CCC club (Maynard & Trundle)

Despite what GJ said about Fraser Campbell and Michael Mancienne, I question our willingness to bring in good young Prem loanees - keeping the dressing room happy only applies to those who lose their places, and loans appear a relatively cost efficient means of getting where you want to be, and thereby making yourself even more attractive to players.

I reckon that a footballer would see City as a reasonable challenger for playoffs now, and its a great area to live in, so I wonder if the main issue might be that players who may be available and are of the quality to take us forward, don't meet GJ's personality test?

I don't buy into the 'backwater' comments - we will see pre season what GJ brings in and trust that they will improve the starting team in key areas rather than just squad members to back up the tried and trusted.

We haven't progressed this season, but have consolidated - with the squad we have, I couldn't expect anything else but hope for better things next term.

I was interested to read (last week?) that Hennesy and Henry at Wolves have been earning £5k per week, so in terms of wages I think we can be pretty competitive apart from relegated teams who have parachute payments to help them short term.

We also don't seem shy about splashing out big money for a CCC club (Maynard & Trundle)

Despite what GJ said about Fraser Campbell and Michael Mancienne, I question our willingness to bring in good young Prem loanees - keeping the dressing room happy only applies to those who lose their places, and loans appear a relatively cost efficient means of getting where you want to be, and thereby making yourself even more attractive to players.

I reckon that a footballer would see City as a reasonable challenger for playoffs now, and its a great area to live in, so I wonder if the main issue might be that players who may be available and are of the quality to take us forward, don't meet GJ's personality test?

I don't buy into the 'backwater' comments - we will see pre season what GJ brings in and trust that they will improve the starting team in key areas rather than just squad members to back up the tried and trusted.

We haven't progressed this season, but have consolidated - with the squad we have, I couldn't expect anything else but hope for better things next term.

I don't understand why you question it?? It appears that in the last 2 seasons we have tried to get 2 of the best (maybe the best) loanee's that were available ? Are you saying you don't believe it, or you think that having failed with those 2 we should have tried for others ??

I don't understand why you question it?? It appears that in the last 2 seasons we have tried to get 2 of the best (maybe the best) loanee's that were available ? Are you saying you don't believe it, or you think that having failed with those 2 we should have tried for others ??

Daniel Sturridge makes 3.

IMO all of GJ's good signings have looked like good signings from very early in their time here even if they did need time to settle. There were signs, glimpses of what they could do. I've not seen any in Styvar's case. I hope I'm wrong and he's awesome but I don't see him getting much first team football for us next season.

I've seen some nice touches from him and some idea that he knows what he should be doing. I have equally seen him looking totally lost though.

I would add that until the last couple of league games and the playoffs last season Carle showed absolutely nothing either yet did come good in the end.

I've seen some nice touches from him and some idea that he knows what he should be doing. I have equally seen him looking totally lost though.

I would add that until the last couple of league games and the playoffs last season Carle showed absolutely nothing either yet did come good in the end.

IMO Carle looked like he had bags of ability on the ball from day one, just looked out of place wide. I can't see the same in Styvar myself. Entirely subjective though.

Players like Fontaine, McIndoe, Elliott who I consider to have been great signings looked like great signings very early on IMO.

IMO Carle looked like he had bags of ability on the ball from day one, just looked out of place wide. I can't see the same in Styvar myself. Entirely subjective though.

Players like Fontaine, McIndoe, Elliott who I consider to have been great signings looked like great signings very early on IMO.

I agree about the latter three signings, though they of course had the benefit of having played regular English league football prior to signing (OK so two signed in pre-season so hadn't actually been playing for a few weeks but they still had plenty of experience).

Really all I'm trying to do is offer a possible explanation for why we've seen so little from Styvar so far and some hope for the future. I think we just have to trust GJ on this one and hope for the best. If it turns out you're right and we haven't signed anyone else to play up front then we're screwed, but I'm hoping he'll turn out decent (as I'm sure you are).

Yes - I think we should have tried for others - anything wrong with that?

How do you know we havent?

Simply on the basis that I haven't heard of any - and presume you haven't either?

If the club publicised the interest in Mancienne and Campbell then why not publicise anyone else?

On that basis, it doesn't seem unreasonable to assume they haven't tried for anyone else because i'm not sure why the club wouldn't be consistent.

I note someone in this thread mentioned Sturridge - I wasn't aware of that if its correct.

Simply on the basis that I haven't heard of any - and presume you haven't either?

If the club publicised the interest in Mancienne and Campbell then why not publicise anyone else?

On that basis, it doesn't seem unreasonable to assume they haven't tried for anyone else because i'm not sure why the club wouldn't be consistent.

I note someone in this thread mentioned Sturridge - I wasn't aware of that if its correct.

GJ does his transfer dealings in private unless he feels the need to go public. For example, he probabaly revealed those names to give examples of players we've gone for, in an attempt to appease moaning fans.

I suspect there are hundreds of players we've made an attempt to sign (perm or loan) but we'll only ever hear about those players... why should we?

It was me bully, GJ and SL mentioned Sturridge along with Mancienne at the Q&A session a little while back.

They were very open about it and seemed disappointed the players hadn't come.

Mancienne, as we all know, was on his way until the last moment, Sturridge enquiry fairly quickly rebuffed.

GJ does his transfer dealings in private unless he feels the need to go public. For example, he probabaly revealed those names to give examples of players we've gone for, in an attempt to appease moaning fans.

I suspect there are hundreds of players we've made an attempt to sign (perm or loan) but we'll only ever hear about those players... why should we?

I doubt we've tried to take very many on loan.

GJ might try to take a particular outstanding young player he thinks will make a difference ( Mancienne, Campbell, Sturridge ) but I reckon this is more opportunist than a determination to add to the squad with a loan.

If the player he wants doesn't come, there's nothing to suggest GJ is resolved to get others instead. He's not a big fan of getting players on loan at all, and I suspect we make less enquiries/loan signings than most.

Having said that it would have been interesting if City had got Sturridge, presumably we'd never have seen Stern at AG at all. :whistle:

If this be progress...... :noexpression: :noexpression:

If a 9 match winless streak, is progress............ :noexpression: :noexpression:

We had a great run between Watford away and Reading away. if it hadnt been for that............. :noexpression: :noexpression:

Progress?? Naaaah. We stabilized the ship between boxing day and Reading. thats it. this squad is simply not good enough. If we leave things as is, we could be in a relegation fight next season. end of. :noexpression: :noexpression:

Major work is now needed.

Well, it's finally over.

Bit of a downer result-wise, but the surprising bonus of Cardiff doing a Rovers (circa 1999-00) has raised my spirits at least. Let us hope they follow Hollowdead and his boy's example from back then and finish up in the bottom three next year!

I've said all season we'd finish between 5th and 10th (check my history if you like), with the playoffs being a bigger ask than last time out, both in terms of the sides in the division and our own squad depth/strength.

Unlike some who see this as a season of disappointment and abject failure I personally believe that from the moment we were more-or-less safe from relegation we had "done a job", as sustained football at this level enables us to raise our sights in terms of recruitment and youth development. There is no shame in a midtable finish at this level.

I'm interested to see how GJ operates this summer, as we should be able to bring in higher calibre players, due to the fact we will now be seen as a club who are more than just "chancing our arm" in this division. Hopefully the poor end to the season will focus minds and coupled with an already alluded to recruitment drive, plus opportunities to the young players, next August could be very exciting indeed.

Have a nice summer y'all!

Well, it's finally over.

Bit of a downer result-wise, but the surprising bonus of Cardiff doing a Rovers (circa 1999-00) has raised my spirits at least. Let us hope they follow Hollowdead and his boy's example from back then and finish up in the bottom three next year!

I've said all season we'd finish between 5th and 10th (check my history if you like), with the playoffs being a bigger ask than last time out, both in terms of the sides in the division and our own squad depth/strength.

Unlike some who see this as a season of disappointment and abject failure I personally believe that from the moment we were more-or-less safe from relegation we had "done a job", as sustained football at this level enables us to raise our sights in terms of recruitment and youth development. There is no shame in a midtable finish at this level.

I'm interested to see how GJ operates this summer, as we should be able to bring in higher calibre players, due to the fact we will now be seen as a club who are more than just "chancing our arm" in this division. Hopefully the poor end to the season will focus minds and coupled with an already alluded to recruitment drive, plus opportunities to the young players, next August could be very exciting indeed.

Have a nice summer y'all!

trouble with that is he don't put any young uns in the squad let alone the team .

Well, it's finally over.

I doubt if that will happen. Wolves missed out on the play offs by one goal last season and look at them now!

Archived