IGNORED

Still Progressing

Percy Parrot

We're not as high as last season and we've never been as high. We don't deserve to go up. Yet I do think very generally we have made some improvements this season. The team hasn't changed a whole lot but I feel we have better depth.

Now of course it's all about results - no doubt about that. But I do feel that on many occasions we've looked more comfortable this season and more like a Championship side. Last season we could be all over the place for 45 mins, somehow hold on and then nick a one goal win in the second half. This season I feel we've looked far more on a par with clubs around us and edged many teams but somehow failed to pick up the points.

Reasons - well I don't blame GJ or certain players. I think sometimes you have to accept that things just don't go for you. We've missed 4 out of 7 penalties, we've conceded 8 late (last 10 mins) goals in the last 10 games, six of which were actually last 5 mins...all have cost us points. And yes we've had a few games during the season where decisions have cost us.

Of course it's about results, of course missing penalties and conceding late goals is out fault and all part of the game - but I don't feel we've gone backwards. Should also be pointed out that I do think Birmingham, Reading, Sheff Weds, Wolves and Cardiff are a lot stronger than West Brom, Hull, Palace and Stoke were last season.

The defence is pretty much the same but Fonts has improved. Midfield is pretty much the same but Williams gives us a little bit more. Upfront we've definitely got an improvement with Nicky Maynard.

I know this thread says nothing new and I know some people will still moan about the way the season has gone but in general no disaster - we need to hold on to Marvin etc., replace Dele and bolster a bit more quality and depth.

I think we need to re-shuffle the squad again to get to the quality we need to break into and stay in the Premier League, Alot like the re-shuffling Gary went through to take us from league one to the championship.

i think we also need another 6 first team players 2 defenders (CB RB/LB) 2 midfielders (CM and a Winger) and 2 strikers to keep us progressing and getting us up where we need to be. and possibly sell 6-8 of our players to free up space. to keep this progression going.

Lets hope we go backwards next season then if this is progress.

Don't get me wrong, I'm more than happy with mid table, but this isn't progress, and giving the players congratulations for finishing lower than the playoffs and one win in eleven is frankly crazy. We are in a terrible run of form again (November and most of December the other time) and will be battling relegation if we carry that into next season.

In fact, if it wasn't for such an amazing run late Jan through February we could well have been looking at bottom 8 and a risk of relegation.

This kind of blinkers on attitude is quite frankly embarrasing, we have reached the end of the road with a lot of these players, I'm sure in 99% of employment where the figures are down at the end of year the champagne bottles wont be coming out claiming we are an improved model, for goodnesss sake, please stop this, it's cringeworthy.

We're not as high as last season and we've never been as high. We don't deserve to go up. Yet I do think very generally we have made some improvements this season. The team hasn't changed a whole lot but I feel we have better depth.

Now of course it's all about results - no doubt about that. But I do feel that on many occasions we've looked more comfortable this season and more like a Championship side. Last season we could be all over the place for 45 mins, somehow hold on and then nick a one goal win in the second half. This season I feel we've looked far more on a par with clubs around us and edged many teams but somehow failed to pick up the points.

Reasons - well I don't blame GJ or certain players. I think sometimes you have to accept that things just don't go for you. We've missed 4 out of 7 penalties, we've conceded 8 late (last 10 mins) goals in the last 10 games, six of which were actually last 5 mins...all have cost us points. And yes we've had a few games during the season where decisions have cost us.

Of course it's about results, of course missing penalties and conceding late goals is out fault and all part of the game - but I don't feel we've gone backwards. Should also be pointed out that I do think Birmingham, Reading, Sheff Weds, Wolves and Cardiff are a lot stronger than West Brom, Hull, Palace and Stoke were last season.

The defence is pretty much the same but Fonts has improved. Midfield is pretty much the same but Williams gives us a little bit more. Upfront we've definitely got an improvement with Nicky Maynard.

I know this thread says nothing new and I know some people will still moan about the way the season has gone but in general no disaster - we need to hold on to Marvin etc., replace Dele and bolster a bit more quality and depth.

Sorry Percy but you must have been on the happy pills if you see City's season in such a rosy fashion. Fact is (missed penalties or otherwise) City havene't been good enough.

If you divide the season into quarters you'll see that City got off to a reasonable start first quarter, then dropped alarmingly to 18th in the league second quarter before hitting a decent run of form in the the third quarter. Fourth quarter has returned one win in eleven games. Thats not good enough and reflects the shortcomings of the squad. There is simply not enough quality and if City are to be a threat next season then Johnson needs to bring in some players that will provide that quality.

Johnson has acknowledged that - although not quite as bluntly as I've put it and lets hope that the 3 or 4 players that he brings in do make all the difference come next season.

Need to go to bed but the main point I'm trying to make is that in my opinion this season's squad is slightly stronger but not been playing as well if that makes any sense. We've certainly not been outperformed for 45 or 90 minutes as often as we were last season (when many teams played us off the park for a half but failed to beat us).

If you could take the 07-08 squad and the 08-09 squad and put them both in to next season I know I'd pick the 08-09 squad.

Cutting the squad? Taking out 6 or so players? Well yes, if we're to be firm favourites for promotion...but to be honest I don't see us having the money to do that and maintain it should we miss out. Better in my eyes to make the 3 or 4 changes needed to turn 1-1s in to 1-0s and continue to build upon what we already have rather than tear it apart.

Tearing apart the side MIGHT work but more likely is that we'd cease to be an established and strong Championship side and see ourselves sliding towards relegation.

I think we need to re-shuffle the squad again to get to the quality we need to break into and stay in the Premier League, Alot like the re-shuffling Gary went through to take us from league one to the championship.

i think we also need another 6 first team players 2 defenders (CB RB/LB) 2 midfielders (CM and a Winger) and 2 strikers to keep us progressing and getting us up where we need to be. and possibly sell 6-8 of our players to free up space. to keep this progression going.

i don't think theres any chance you will see any more than 3 or 4 players coming in over the summer

we have to be patient get a few more seasons under our belt in the championship and keep adding 3 or 4 quality players each year and in the end we will be strong enough to mount a serious challenge on the premier league

Need to go to bed but the main point I'm trying to make is that in my opinion this season's squad is slightly stronger but not been playing as well if that makes any sense. We've certainly not been outperformed for 45 or 90 minutes as often as we were last season (when many teams played us off the park for a half but failed to beat us).

If you could take the 07-08 squad and the 08-09 squad and put them both in to next season I know I'd pick the 08-09 squad.

Cutting the squad? Taking out 6 or so players? Well yes, if we're to be firm favourites for promotion...but to be honest I don't see us having the money to do that and maintain it should we miss out. Better in my eyes to make the 3 or 4 changes needed to turn 1-1s in to 1-0s and continue to build upon what we already have rather than tear it apart.

Tearing apart the side MIGHT work but more likely is that we'd cease to be an established and strong Championship side and see ourselves sliding towards relegation.

If last seasons squad played this seasons squad then sorry but I think last seasons squad would win, I think this seasons squad is better but it lacks the fight and never say die attitude that last seasons squad had probably because of the spats that happened off field.

If last seasons squad played this seasons squad then sorry but I think last seasons squad would win, I think this seasons squad is better but it lacks the fight and never say die attitude that last seasons squad had probably because of the spats that happened off field.

I don't know too much about any spats (please enlighten me if you can), however I agree with the thought that the loss of some fight and attitude has had an affect. A mild case of second season syndrome perhaps coupled with a loss of some effective motivational tools (go and prove you belong in this league) to players that have become comfortable at this level.

I don't see six players coming in (unless we have a spate of big money offers for Elliot, Basso, Orr, Fontaine and Maynard etc) but I can see four.

Another forward is likely unless the management feel that Akinde looks like he could step up in pre-season (I'm hopeful rather than expectant)

A midfielder (two if Elliot goes which I feel is likely)

and another defender....

With all this said don't forget we now have six or seven yougsters with pro contracts looking for a start..Lord knows its time one came through....Lets hope SL can save some money :fingerscrossed:

Top Post, totally agree. I think that we are a better side going forward this season in particular, and whilst everything went for us last year, not much has gone our way this year, and as you say, with missed pens and last min goals against us, our points total has suffered.

I don't know too much about any spats (please enlighten me if you can), however I agree with the thought that the loss of some fight and attitude has had an affect. A mild case of second season syndrome perhaps coupled with a loss of some effective motivational tools (go and prove you belong in this league) to players that have become comfortable at this level.

I don't see six players coming in (unless we have a spate of big money offers for Elliot, Basso, Orr, Fontaine and Maynard etc) but I can see four.

Another forward is likely unless the management feel that Akinde looks like he could step up in pre-season (I'm hopeful rather than expectant)

A midfielder (two if Elliot goes which I feel is likely)

and another defender....

With all this said don't forget we now have six or seven yougsters with pro contracts looking for a start..Lord knows its time one came through....Lets hope SL can save some money :fingerscrossed:

Last season the players would have died for each other. This season there has been a change in teh body language between some players. I have heard whispers about LJ and LT, Also been told about a so called bust up on the way back from Sheff Utd after a 3-0 defeat between a couple of the players on the team coach. McIndoe then had a public outburst which upset his fellow players. I am also informed there was a bit of aggro about LJ always being picked and also Orrs contract.

I don't know how true any of that is but it would certainly fit as we have lost that team spirit we had last season. I believe we also had a hangover from the PO final which didn't help. Like others have said before this really is Johnson's biggest pre season for us yet. We didn't have teh fitness this year that we had last year but again that could have been down to the players having just over a month off.

I think its a good post Percy!

The games i have seen (All home and about 5 away)with the exception of Reading at home we havent been played off the park. Its been a season of what if's.

This is a tight division and the difference between play off's and mid table is slight! Unfortunately we have fallen slightly short but to hear some posters on this site you would think we have been played off the park time and time again!

From the limited range of games I've seen over the past couple of seasons I would say that we've had more poor performances and certainly fewer good ones this season than last, but I would put that down to opposition who no longer let us play the kind of football we saw last season (against Sheffield Utd. for instance).

I think learning to cope with that has been a good experience for the players this season but it's also shown that we need more quality in certain areas allied to the work ethic that is already in place that will allow us not just to outplay opposition who allow us to, but to force the issue in our favour.

In my opinion, our squad is slightly weaker than it was last season and that fact is reflected in our current league position compared to last season. Reasons why we're weaker this season: no replacement for Nick Carle, Darren Byfield sold, Marvin Elliott out injured, Trundle loaned out for most of the season and Noble hardly played.

I don't think we've improved at all, and for me that's the most disappointing thing. Not the finish, which is reasonable, but the quality.

Everyone's been saying we're progressing under Johnson, but in my mind, the 08/09 season has been wasted with no real improvement in the squad.

The pluses have been the development of Fontaine and Skuse as players, while the minuses has been the disappointing season players like McIndoe and Elliott have had, expecting them to kick on and they haven't (though, in fairness to Elliott possibly due to his injury problems).

Overall, the team this year is no better than the one that lost the POF, so for me - a season wasted.

I don't think we've improved at all, and for me that's the most disappointing thing. Not the finish, which is reasonable, but the quality.

Everyone's been saying we're progressing under Johnson, but in my mind, the 08/09 season has been wasted with no real improvement in the squad.

The pluses have been the development of Fontaine and Skuse as players, while the minuses has been the disappointing season players like McIndoe and Elliott have had, expecting them to kick on and they haven't (though, in fairness to Elliott possibly due to his injury problems).

Overall, the team this year is no better than the one that lost the POF, so for me - a season wasted.

You don't feel that a second season in the Championship, finishing in the top ten, will make us seem a more attractive proposition for the type of player Gary Johnson wants to bring in, then?

I'd imagine it does, as we are no longer one season wonders and I'd hope that our status as a competitive Championship club makes us a place more players are interested in coming to.

I think you share the same view as many who are disapointed. A Mid-table Championship finish is no disgrace but the actual football on offer is just not enjoyable to watch from spectator point of view.

My thoughts are pretty much the same as a few weeks ago. Not been the most exciting season for us in the world. The football has been rather turgid and predictable, and again we've struggled to score many goals. Can't believe I was on holiday for the only damn home game we score more than 2 goals!

I do agree in part with 'DanC's' point about a lack of fight from this year's squad. We looked far more robust, competitive and savvy last year, which is surprising considering it was our first year in the division.

But....I'm still reasonably satisfied with a (probable) top 10/11 finish in our second season in The Championship. If this was our 7th or 8th year I'd be getting a bit fed up, but it's not. We just need to stop losing our concentration at the most vital moments in the game. It is often said that you're at your most vulnerable after scoring and we have certainly demonstrated that this season, especially the last dozen games or so.

I think the main problem for a lot of people on this forum frustrated with this season's performance comes down solely to our home form. And yes, despite only losing 3 times at home, it's not been pretty to watch. I still think the 1-0 win at home to Norwich was the worst game I've seen all season. I also think the players are probably starting to feed off some of the crowds' frustrations which just makes things even worse.

Next season will be a fascinating one though. I expect it to be as tough as this year and do feel that unless we sign 3 or so decent players we could really struggle. This summer will also give us a good indication of what kind of player we can expect to sign at this club. i.e. how attractive a club are we to others.

Finally, I'll always be aware of our limitations. We're not a big club and will not be able to spend loads or pay ridiculous wages so we just have to make do with what we can. I still think it's far-fetched to expect promotion just yet. Then again, if a club like Hull can go up then we can too. Eventually.

Sorry Percy but you must have been on the happy pills if you see City's season in such a rosy fashion. Fact is (missed penalties or otherwise) City havene't been good enough.

If you divide the season into quarters you'll see that City got off to a reasonable start first quarter, then dropped alarmingly to 18th in the league second quarter before hitting a decent run of form in the the third quarter. Fourth quarter has returned one win in eleven games. Thats not good enough and reflects the shortcomings of the squad. There is simply not enough quality and if City are to be a threat next season then Johnson needs to bring in some players that will provide that quality.

Johnson has acknowledged that - although not quite as bluntly as I've put it and lets hope that the 3 or 4 players that he brings in do make all the difference come next season.

agree about the quarters analogy. if we carry it into next season we'll be adrift by xmas.

its all about who GJ brings in. they have to improve the 1st 11 from the off. looking at this seasons buys you have maynard who has done okay, just, for his first season buti hope there is more to come considering how much we paid for him, akinde, never going to figure too much, wiliams, looks capable but has he played enough to be considered an improvement on last year. as for styvar, don't get me started. and izzy has looked decent but hardly uppping the standard.

as for the loans of stern and webster i consider those massive failures.

we need players to improve us from the off this summer. not squad makeweights.

You don't feel that a second season in the Championship, finishing in the top ten, will make us seem a more attractive proposition for the type of player Gary Johnson wants to bring in, then?

I'd imagine it does, as we are no longer one season wonders and I'd hope that our status as a competitive Championship club makes us a place more players are interested in coming to.

Apart from the fact that there's no guarantee yet that we WILL finish in the top ten, I don't necessarily concur that our finishing position has anything to do with whether it will makes us more attactive, or otherwise, to players Johnson may be tracking.

In these mercenary days where money talks, I think the deciding factor is how much we're willing to pay and for how long - that's what attracts players to clubs. You, and Johnson himself, may state that you want someone who'll 'play for the shirt' and will fit into Johnson's squad philosophy, but perhaps that's why we haven't been able to attract bigger names in the first place - that and the fact that, like it or not, we are not a 'fashionable' club (whatever that means!).

Apart from the fact that there's no guarantee yet that we WILL finish in the top ten, I don't necessarily concur that our finishing position has anything to do with whether it will makes us more attactive, or otherwise, to players Johnson may be tracking.

In these mercenary days where money talks, I think the deciding factor is how much we're willing to pay and for how long - that's what attracts player to clubs. You, and Johnson himself, may state that you want someone who'll 'play for the shirt' and will fit into Johnson's squad philosophy, but perhaps that's why we haven't been able to attract bigger names in the first place - that and the fact that, like it or not, we are not a 'fashionable' club (whatever that means!).

I'm sure you're right, in part. Money does indeed talk in football, but so does status to a certain degree. There are numerous factors and, of course, as you say, money is one of them.

I have no doubt that we'll be priced out of the market for certain players. But when you see the likes of Southampton, Charlton and Norwich on their uppers and staring relegation in the face, I think it's right that we have a structure and stick to it.

Fans blame charimen for a lack of ambition and fans blame chairmen for putting their club in financial peril, so it's a fine balancing act.

I'm not sure what a fashionable club is either. Hopefully it involves rugby league chevrons, as we'll be well in there.

I look at the last couple of players brought in; Styvar :fastasleep: (where is he?) and S. John :fastasleep: (would of been better to play Akinde or Trundle) and get worried about what we will get for next season.

Dele, Elliott, Mccombe, Trundle, Basso, Skuse and even Orr could be gone if past rumours are to believed; on the plus side hopefully Akinde will come through but will he get a first team run?

Cannot see us signing more than a couple to replace who-ever goes and more than likely, no-one will of heard of at least one of them, :noexpression:

You`ll see; 2 in max and at least 2 or 3 times that many gone. :(

Still progressing :disapointed2se: how can that, be we reached the play off final last year ;

I look at the last couple of players brought in; Styvar :fastasleep: (where is he?) and S. John :fastasleep: (would of been better to play Akinde or Trundle) and get worried about what we will get for next season.

Dele, Elliott, Mccombe, Trundle, Basso, Skuse and even Orr could be gone if past rumours are to believed; on the plus side hopefully Akinde will come through but will he get a first team run?

Cannot see us signing more than a couple to replace who-ever goes and more than likely, no-one will of heard of at least one of them, :noexpression:

You`ll see; 2 in max and at least 2 or 3 times that many gone. :(

Odd logic. You want Akinde to get a run, but are concerned we may sign players that no-one has heard of ?

Odd logic. You want Akinde to get a run, but are concerned we may sign players that no-one has heard of ?

We cant have a team full of Trainee`s; the best don't come cheap.

I'm sure you're right, in part. Money does indeed talk in football, but so does status to a certain degree. There are numerous factors and, of course, as you say, money is one of them.

I have no doubt that we'll be priced out of the market for certain players. But when you see the likes of Southampton, Charlton and Norwich on their uppers and staring relegation in the face, I think it's right that we have a structure and stick to it.

Fans blame charimen for a lack of ambition and fans blame chairmen for putting their club in financial peril, so it's a fine balancing act.

I'm not sure what a fashionable club is either. Hopefully it involves rugby league chevrons, as we'll be well in there.

I'm certainly not advocating a 'gung-ho' approach and would not wish the chairman to overspend on players to put ourselves at risk - been there, done that, methinks!

I'm happy with Lansdown's handling of the club, and trust him to manage the club's finances wisely - his track record in his own business is testament to that. But that doesn't mean we can't 'speculate to accumulate' a little within our means. Perhaps it's Johnson himself who needs to look at how he's spending the chairman's money?

Personally, I would give Johnson a 5/10 for his spending this season. He paid out a lot of money for players who have made no real impact on his squad. Players like Trundle, Styvar, Maynard and, possibly, Akinde have not had the impact that we would, perhaps, expect from their price tags and wages.

I still think Maynard will come good and he has been getting better with each appearance, though the price tag was a little high. But Trundle, Styvar and Akinde don't seem to figure in Johnson's plans at all and one wonders why he bought them.

I certainly think Lansdown is ambitious and I back him to get us to the promised land. However, I'm not so sure of his faith in Johnson, and I'm certainly looking for Johnson to make a more pronounced improvement to the squad next season.

Personally, I would give Johnson a 5/10 for his spending this season. He paid out a lot of money for players who have made no real impact on his squad. Players like Trundle, Styvar, Maynard and, possibly, Akinde have not had the impact that we would, perhaps, expect from their price tags and wages.

I still think Maynard will come good and he has been getting better with each appearance, though the price tag was a little high. But Trundle, Styvar and Akinde don't seem to figure in Johnson's plans at all and one wonders why he bought them.

I certainly think Lansdown is ambitious and I back him to get us to the promised land. However, I'm not so sure of his faith in Johnson, and I'm certainly looking for Johnson to make a more pronounced improvement to the squad next season.

Johnson said in his recent interview on World that Styvar, being a foriegn player and therefore not familair with the English game will take time to adapt and settle in. He seemed to be saying that Styvar was in his plans for next season.

I agree that Maynard will come good and that Trundle has flopped at City. I expect Trundle to spend most of next season out on loan. As for Akinde - the experience he's getting at Wycombe will do him the world of good. Scoring goals at league level will boost his confidence and hopefully he'll be back next season pushing for a place. Sure, Styvar nor Akinde have set the league alight yet but lets see what they bring next season before we judge whether or not they were good signings.

The most frustrating thing for me this season (apart from the long ball bollox) was Johnsons failure to add quality during last summer and the January window. I know he wanted to show faith in 'this bunch of lads' and that hindsight is a wonderfull thing but his failure to stengthen is ultimately what cost City.

Its pleasing to hear him saying now that he does plan to strengthen over the summer. 6 or 7 out with 3 or 4 coming in. How much he has to spend will remain between him and Lansdown but I'm convinced that Lansdown will do all in his power to bring in the players that Johnson wants.

• Admin
Sure, Styvar nor Akinde have set the league alight yet but lets see what they bring next season before we judge whether or not they were good signings.

Akinde really made a difference in the Plymouth game, without quite such an impact in his other appearances, (which only amount to 248 minutes in the CCC). As you say, the experience and confidence he will have got at Wycombe should stand him in good stead for next season.

Styvar has made 4 start this season, his first three being launched in at the deep end with two FA Cupo games against Premier League opposition and the third against the table topping, in form Wolves. Maybe to expect a player to uproot from another country, meet new team mates and then create an instant impact was unrealistic. I feel he has to be given a pre season to show if he has whatever initially caught the scouts and Gary's eye.

It would do us no harm to bring in another experienced older stiker, to replace Adebola, but we consistently seem to turn stikers who have scored well at other clubs, into barren, hollow shells of their former selves.

Johnson said in his recent interview on World that Styvar, being a foriegn player and therefore not familair with the English game will take time to adapt and settle in. He seemed to be saying that Styvar was in his plans for next season.

I do find that one very strange. Why spend significant money on a player in January who will have no impact this season when he's available for free in the summer? He's never had interest from bigger leagues before and at 28/29 it's hard to believe that there will be a number of clubs suddenly clamouring for his signature. Makes no sense to me. I think GJ signed him to play this season and he hasn't been good enough. Hopefully he will be next season but I don't hold out much hope because I haven't seen even a glimmer of something there so far.

We could certainly look at this season as consolidation. We're no longer one season wonders, we are a definite top half Championship club and our intentions are shown clearly by the stadium plans. We didn't suffer second season syndrome. We had fantastic crowds.

However I share SimplyRed's view that the squad hasn't developed enough. Maynard will come good and I think Akinde was bought for the future (he was only 18 and cheap). But we started the season having not addressed obvious weaknesses in the squad and they have cost us.

I'm also not too bothered about the league finish but I'm worried that we didn't improve the weak areas of the squad and we adopted a style of football that wasn't very entertaining. For me, those two things need addressing this summer.

Over the summer I want to see half a dozen players come in in the right positions so we have a balanced squad. I want them to be largely younger players (under 25) so we're not pissing away more money in two years signing replacements, and I want them to be genuine contenders for first team shirts. Given that we will see seven or eight players leave this summer I don't think that's too much to ask.

I'd like us to adopt an entertaining style of football and force it on the opposition instead of playing direct and narrow. If that means finishing 10th again instead of 6th or 7th, fine with me, as long as the squad has developed and looks to continue to improve.

Archived