IGNORED

City Getting Promoted Next Season

numbeast

I like any other City fan would love to see us facing the likes of Man U Chelsea Arsenal and Liverpool once more, but I have to ask myself would it really be good for the club in the medium and long term future? Steve Lansdown is planning a new 30K+ capacity stadium for 3 years time, a ground fitting for a Premier League side and one that could accomadate enough fans to make being in the Prem sustainable.

If we were to gain promotion before the ground is built then how much would ticket price have to be hiked in order to stave off a crippling debt being run up. Even without new Premier League quality faces being brought in our wage bill would jump considerably but our income would be capped by the current ground capacity. Also with Gary Johnson at the helm he will be able you construct a side capable of not only gaining promotion but enough quality to keep us there with only a small number of additions to the squad if we build slowly.

Maybe it's my age but I don't want another 1982 when we were in freefall both on and off the pitch. I know we would have a huge sum for gaining promotion and parachute payments if we were to get relagated something that didn't happen in those days but would we really gain anything in terms of financial stability for the club in the long term? I think not.

Football fans aren't the most patient of people but for the sake of staying in the second tier of English football for a couple of years we could end up with a greater club than we have now.

If we're hoping to not get promoted then there's no point in going

except cup games of course

the only excitement you want is a relegation battle in that case

I'm not saying I don't want to get promoted next season what I am doing is looking ahead. I am old enough to remember 1982 and sitting with a radio glued to my ear wondering if I'd have a club to support. If we did go up I've no doubt SL would keep the books in a better state than the board back then did. Finances play an all together bigger part in todays football. Even at 44 I hate Saturday evening when we lose and forget the Sunday papers, so yes I would love to go up next season. The point I was making hypothetically was "would it be a good thing in the long term"

I'm not saying I don't want to get promoted next season what I am doing is looking ahead. I am old enough to remember 1982 and sitting with a radio glued to my ear wondering if I'd have a club to support. If we did go up I've no doubt SL would keep the books in a better state than the board back then did. Finances play an all together bigger part in todays football. Even at 44 I hate Saturday evening when we lose and forget the Sunday papers, so yes I would love to go up next season. The point I was making hypothetically was "would it be a good thing in the long term"

SL has never let this club down, so long term I feel our club is very safe :city:

I can see what you mean, but as long as we don't go stupid and spend loads on wages and transfer fees ala Viali at Watford then we'd be fine. If anything, going up and then coming straight back down isn't the worse thing going!

Over £60 million for one season.

getting promoted would be the best thing that could happen to bcfc.

with gj and sl in charge we will not have a better chance of reaching the Premier League.

the team we have now will not win 7 games in Premier League but who cares.

if you said only 5 years ago we would make play off final to reach promiseland and finish with top half of championship second year i would of said you must be supporting another team. no team in championship feels safe. when (not if) we get to the Premier League with a new stadium 3 years i hope we have a young fresh hungry football team with great supporters. it took 9 long years to get out of league one so be patient and less moaning.

remember we are the top team in the west country with alot more posistives than negatives so keep believing.

Ashton Gate has never seen Premier League football so I would love to see the likes of Ronaldo, Gerrard etc playing on our hollowed turf before we make the move, AG I feel would be a stadium in the prem that alot of clubs would hate to visit.

Not bothered about the Premier League, if it happens, it happens, I'll still be at AG/new ground whatever.

As for seing the likes of Liverpool, Chelsea, Man. Utd and Arsenal, hopefully those 4 will have moved on to a European League by the time City go up and then it might be a competitive league worth being in.

Although it would be 'interesting' to be in a home crowd where thousands of fans are openly supporting the opposition in all 4 sides of the ground. :whistle:

If we did get to the prem

How long would it be before there being post on this site

slagging off SL for not putting his hands in his deep pockets and

buying Torres Ronaldo Garrard and Fabregas!!!

Saying that there would only be one place up for grabs

for Garrard and Fabregas to fight for :whistle2:

Fair Shout

certainly worth thinking about

perhaps what you mean is, can we afford to buy and risk trying to stabilize in the prem?

it is quite scary the way money can't always buy you success, but lack of it usually means trouble

In its 115-year history, Bristol City football club have only ever reached the top flight twice; from 1906-07 to 1910-11 and 1976-77 to 1979-80.

Therefore, since generations of our supporters have died without ever seeing City among the elite, you should be thankful for the opportunity before turning to dust or being served up as worm food in a wooden casket.

Guest bigcheese

Watching Newcastle/Portsmouth & the Hull situation why shouldnt we have a try if there is some money available for that year, but as long as things are realistic maybe we would be OK... but tbh CCC is pretty damn good as long as we can sort out the draws :-) Ultimately in this game some kind of financial stability etc is probably best but its a funny old game :englandsmile4wf:

I like any other City fan would love to see us facing the likes of Man U Chelsea Arsenal and Liverpool once more, but I have to ask myself would it really be good for the club in the medium and long term future? Steve Lansdown is planning a new 30K+ capacity stadium for 3 years time, a ground fitting for a Premier League side and one that could accomadate enough fans to make being in the Prem sustainable.

If we were to gain promotion before the ground is built then how much would ticket price have to be hiked in order to stave off a crippling debt being run up. Even without new Premier League quality faces being brought in our wage bill would jump considerably but our income would be capped by the current ground capacity. Also with Gary Johnson at the helm he will be able you construct a side capable of not only gaining promotion but enough quality to keep us there with only a small number of additions to the squad if we build slowly.

Maybe it's my age but I don't want another 1982 when we were in freefall both on and off the pitch. I know we would have a huge sum for gaining promotion and parachute payments if we were to get relagated something that didn't happen in those days but would we really gain anything in terms of financial stability for the club in the long term? I think not.

Football fans aren't the most patient of people but for the sake of staying in the second tier of English football for a couple of years we could end up with a greater club than we have now.

I`d be content to stay put until the new ground is ready and we can then accomadate the newbies that will show up and have a better and bigger sustained income.

In its 115-year history, Bristol City football club have only ever reached the top flight twice; from 1906-07 to 1910-11 and 1976-77 to 1979-80.

Therefore, since generations of our supporters have died without ever seeing City among the elite, you should be thankful for the opportunity before turning to dust or being served up as worm food in a wooden casket.

I think you take the prize for the gloomiest and most ghoulish sentence ever on this forum.

My point is the Premier League is not the be all and end all, and there's nothing to suggest it would be more enjoyable, as a supporter, than the competitive Championship.

I've no doubt those lost generations of supporters you talk of in such morbid terms were very proud to be Bristol City fans whichever division the club happened to be in during their lifetimes.

They didn't perhaps witness BCFC in the top division as I have, but there again I never saw John Atyeo banging in the goals for City, and I'm sure those fans that did felt very lucky to support the club during that era. Every season, in every sense of the word, supporting City has no doubt had it's own frustrations and nadirs, moments of fulfillment and ecstatic high points that united fans of the day and cemented their continuing love affair with the club.

Not many great memories of our last sojourn in the top flight for me - Arsenal(a), Coventry(a). Liverpool (h), Man.Utd (a) and perhaps half a dozen other games in 4 years - mostly fairly dull home games against the likes of Ipswich, Leicester, Sunderland, QPR, often ending in 1-0 home defeats.

Was that period more enjoyable than the Cup win at Leeds, the day we got promotion at Chester, or more memorable than our 'last match' at Newport? Not so sure.

As a supporter all you can do is turn up and support the team in whatever division the club happen to be in, one day indeed your young face in an old City crowd picture will just be another unknown former supporter in a faded picture where your hairstyle and clothing of the day looks strange to the fans of the future.

But that was your era, your memories, your lifetime, your time as a proud supporter of Bristol City. The division the club happened to find itself in was beyond your control and doesn't really matter, there is so much more to the shared experience of supporting this club.

I can take or leave the money orientated Premier League, if it happens, it happens, but I certainly don't crave it and if it doesn't happen again during my lifetime then so be it. :city:

I think you take the prize for the gloomiest and most ghoulish sentence ever on this forum.

My point is the Premier League is not the be all and end all, and there's nothing to suggest it would be more enjoyable, as a supporter, than the competitive Championship.

I've no doubt those lost generations of supporters you talk of in such morbid terms were very proud to be Bristol City fans whichever division the club happened to be in during their lifetimes.

They didn't perhaps witness BCFC in the top division as I have, but there again I never saw John Atyeo banging in the goals for City, and I'm sure those fans that did felt very lucky to support the club during that era. Every season, in every sense of the word, supporting City has no doubt had it's own frustrations and nadirs, moments of fulfillment and ecstatic high points that united fans of the day and cemented their continuing love affair with the club.

Not many great memories of our last sojourn in the top flight for me - Arsenal(a), Coventry(a). Liverpool (h), Man.Utd (a) and perhaps half a dozen other games in 4 years - mostly fairly dull home games against the likes of Ipswich, Leicester, Sunderland, QPR, often ending in 1-0 home defeats.

Was that period more enjoyable than the Cup win at Leeds, the day we got promotion at Chester, or more memorable than our 'last match' at Newport? Not so sure.

As a supporter all you can do is turn up and support the team in whatever division the club happen to be in, one day indeed your young face in an old City crowd picture will just be another unknown former supporter in a faded picture where your hairstyle and clothing of the day looks strange to the fans of the future.

But that was your era, your memories, your lifetime, your time as a proud supporter of Bristol City. The division the club happened to find itself in was beyond your control and doesn't really matter, there is so much more to the shared experience of supporting this club.

I can take or leave the money orientated Premier League, if it happens, it happens, but I certainly don't crave it and if it doesn't happen again during my lifetime then so be it. :city:

Andy you've made some very fair points.

However, my comments were made tongue in cheek in order to illustrate that as a big city club we've drastically under-achieved throughout our history and it would be nice for a new generation to see us reach the top flight.

I don't care about the money, but I want to see City compete with the best.

As for morbid, well, I could introduce you to generations of City fans who would beg to differ.

If we don't have the ambition to be in the premier league, whats the point?? might as well support the gas or go shopping with the missus every week!

That's exactly the point, watching City in any league(or non league) would be better than supporting the Gas or going shopping with the Mrs!

That's exactly the point, watching City in any league(or non league) would be better than supporting the Gas or going shopping with the Mrs!

Of course we should support city in ANY division. But we must have ambition. otherwise theres no point.

I think we need to worry about getting the players in to ensure we start to prosper in this division.To worry about problems of getting in the Premier league seems a waste of time at this stage.

I would like City to be a major footballing force in the land. However think about the 9,000 who used to watch Chelsea nDiv 2; most of those die hards prob can't afford to watch now.

As an aside I must say that after a few consec seasons of chasing promo or just the play offs even, it's been really relaxing these last few games to sit back and know City's result is no longer vital, just look for positives in the play.

Archived