IGNORED

Article On Finances In Football...

Ross Verbals

Hi my name is Ross Casey and I am writing an article about finances in the Championship for my unofficial football league magazine, which is a university project. If anyone would like to answer these questions for me, I would be most grateful...

1. How have the parachute payments (11.5 million per season) affected The Championship?

2. Do you think Alistair Darling's budget, where he has taxed high earners (over 150,000 a year) 50% will detract footballers from joining English clubs in the championship?

3. What is your view on Gartside's Premier League 2 blueprint?

If you would like to answer these questions please do so on here or through a pm, leaving your name and age so I can quote you correctly.

If anyone would like to read the articles, please visit 72 online - the unnoficial football league magazine

Thanks,

Ross

1. How have the parachute payments (11.5 million per season) affected The Championship?

2. Do you think Alistair Darling's budget, where he has taxed high earners (over 150,000 a year) 50% will detract footballers from joining English clubs in the championship?

3. What is your view on Gartside's Premier League 2 blueprint?

1. At first you'ld think it would help one of the favoured few bounce straight back. Charlton, Southampton, Norwich will be in League 1 next year. Coventry, Forest, Leicester in the Champs; 2 finishing in the lower reaches, Leics having just been promoted to it. Watford & Palace underachievers, so I conclude the payment is only as useful as the wisdom of the person spending it.

2. With clubs struggling throughout Europe, anyone who wants to play will put up with higher taxes rather than play for no one.

3. The plan appears to look at clubs and their past rather than their current playing strengths; nuff sed.

Meanwhile I've submitted two mild suggestions for clubs to either generate more income, or reduce expenditure to the Football League asking they be discussed at next month's AGM;

In August 2008, with the exception of one Premier League clash, there were no games on the Bank Holiday Monday. The following evening though saw many of the League Cup first round ties being played. I would like to suggest playing these games on August Bank Holiday afternoons in future please. This may increase the number of home supporters and would probably increase the number of visiting supporters. That in turn would boost the revenue (and the match atmosphere) to the benefit of both clubs.

For the teams in the lower two divisions, low attendances are the norm for early rounds of the JPT. These games are also mid week fixtures which incur the cost of floodlighting. I suggest therefore as they attract larger crowds, switch some League fixtures to midweek and play the JPT games on Saturday afternoons.

Archived