IGNORED

Stern John

roylegalatyeo

Just been on Southampton Daily Echo website ,it seems that City are still paying Stern Johns wages until the end of May,this is also the same for Swanesa with Nathan Dyer and Watford with Rasiak.A clause in the loans of all three covered the play offs.They also state that John was eaning £8000 a week, which is less than we were led to beleive he was on,but having said that he was never worth a penny of that as his goal scored showed ,and his cant be bothered attitude also showed.

And yet John scored 20 or so the previous season and virtually kept Southampton up.

He really didn't look like getting more than the 2 he got for us this season.

Yes, strange that , when you consider what a team of prolific goalscorers we've been over the last few seasons!!

And yet John scored 20 or so the previous season and virtually kept Southampton up.

He really didn't look like getting more than the 2 he got for us this season.

Stern had a number of good chances, but he missed them.

Very poor for indeed for City, let's just be thankful he's gone.

Nineteen goals for Southampton in 47 appearances. Not a bad return. Think John had promise, but City's style of play obviously didn't suit. I agree though that there appeared to be a lack of effort on the pitch - odd really as one would have thought he would have been trying to put himself more in the shop window for when he gets the boot from Southampton. <_<

At least Lee looks like he is putting in some effort???????

Good riddance Stern - It will be interesting to see where he "earns" his weekly fat cheque next season - America me thinks - I REST MY CASE

For 8K a week he should have been busting a gut, especially as it was certain he would not be going home to a new contract at St.Marys next season

Probably the worst result we had all season signing the lazy waste and I include Reading home and Burnley away

Just been on Southampton Daily Echo website ,it seems that City are still paying Stern Johns wages until the end of May,this is also the same for Swanesa with Nathan Dyer and Watford with Rasiak.A clause in the loans of all three covered the play offs.They also state that John was eaning £8000 a week, which is less than we were led to beleive he was on,but having said that he was never worth a penny of that as his goal scored showed ,and his cant be bothered attitude also showed.

That would have covered us if we got to the play offs, better than say if he got us there then had to return and we had to do without him.

However as we didnt it now seems a waste of money but thats one of those risks you take.

I thought he was pretty decent but clearly our inability to create anything in the final third never worked in his favour.

I was one of the idiots that went away to Ipswich away on a Tuesday night and I thought that night that we'd got the man who would not only score but make the goals for Maynard aswell.

Good luck Stern.

Echoing slightly what KNR says,

our style of football didn't suit sterns goal scoring football. Highlight for me however was his first touch ... an outside of the right foot chipped pass for lee johnson to run onto, we treated him too much like dele and hoofed if up for him to either chase or trap, and you all saw (unless you watched ITV's highlights) how, when the ball was on the floor he worked well with Maynard at Watford away.

Good luck to Stern

Guest bigcheese

"He finished the season 2007-08 as the 4th top scorer in the Championship with 19 goals for Southampton"

Hmm, a decent 20 goal a season sounds like the kind of thing we need right now. Either he had a bad season

with us or maybe yes it is the way we played? :fastasleep:

Every player has a good season once in their career. Stern John's much more usual goal return at this level was single figures. He's scored 86 goals in 9 and a half years... why anybody expected him to be good on the back of one decent season at his absolute peak is beyond me.

Echoing slightly what KNR says,

our style of football didn't suit sterns goal scoring football. Highlight for me however was his first touch ... an outside of the right foot chipped pass for lee johnson to run onto, we treated him too much like dele and hoofed if up for him to either chase or trap, and you all saw (unless you watched ITV's highlights) how, when the ball was on the floor he worked well with Maynard at Watford away.

Good luck to Stern

I didnt think he was any better at Watford away!

He cost us a goal because when Watford cleared the ball in the 2nd half he failed to step out 2 yards with the rest of them and when the ball came back over to him he was offside! That was just pure laziness and criminal for a center forward!

There were a lot of great performances that day including Maynard and Sproule but John IMO was poor! No effort, Poor first touch, ball bouncing off him at all angles!

IMO the 4-2 win had very little to do with him!

There were a lot of great performances that day including Maynard and Sproule but John IMO was poor!

And yet both Maynard and Sproule attributed their good form at that time to John.

I personally never saw much from him either but I do think he made a valuable contribution, especially when we looked in danger of being dragged into a relegation fight.

And yet both Maynard and Sproule attributed their good form at that time to John.

I personally never saw much from him either but I do think he made a valuable contribution, especially when we looked in danger of being dragged into a relegation fight.

What was that contribution?

We both agree it wasnt his performances so what was it?

A motivational thing? If so does that mean that other people such as the manager and coach arent doing their job...........that would be part of their job wouldnt it?

We both agree it wasnt his performances so what was it?

No we don't. You say he didn't perform I say I didn't see him perform. Not having played or managed at any level above Sunday league I don't feel qualified to say I spot everything that a player is doing. He might have been performing very well at something but I didn't notice it.

No we don't. You say he didn't perform I say I didn't see him perform. Not having played or managed at any level above Sunday league I don't feel qualified to say I spot everything that a player is doing. He might have been performing very well at something but I didn't notice it.

Yes, doing nothing

Barnsley at Home

Adebola and John up front

Adebola didnt wear the defence down on his own, that game I felt Sterns contribution combined with Dele's was certainly worth the three points gained when we brought on quicker strikers to beat already tired defenders

Gary knew what he was doing getting Stern in and it worked because we didnt get swallowed into that relegation battle BCFC_dan mentioned.

He was good for what Johnson needed him for and I can see us pushing on next season with a more Confident Nicky Maynard + partner

It is laughable how people will twist and turn anyway just because they refuse to admit they were wrong!

I am sure SJ coming here was originally hailed as the striker to get us into and beyond the play offs! Yet as he was dire people are now saying he stopped us getting relegated!

Never mind though because the reality of stats speak for themselves so no one can be confused - IN ALL HIS TIME WITH US HE PLAYED ALL HIS GAMES AS A STRIKER AND SCORED 2 GOALS IN GAMES WE LOST ANYWAY !!!!!!!!!

So on that basis he was a failure and a disapointment, end of, move on. I believed then as I believe now SJ was a lazy, crap signing that had no desire to play for BCFC. And yes I know Maynard and Sproule came out and thanked him for his help, well I think that was pure spin by the club to take the heat off SJ. When that failed GJ said he does more than any of us noticed. All spin and BS! But in order to try and get the player going had to be done!

It is laughable how people will twist and turn anyway just because they refuse to admit they were wrong!

I am sure SJ coming here was originally hailed as the striker to get us into and beyond the play offs! Yet as he was dire people are now saying he stopped us getting relegated!

Never mind though because the reality of stats speak for themselves so no one can be confused - IN ALL HIS TIME WITH US HE PLAYED ALL HIS GAMES AS A STRIKER AND SCORED 2 GOALS IN GAMES WE LOST ANYWAY !!!!!!!!!

So on that basis he was a failure and a disapointment, end of, move on. I believed then as I believe now SJ was a lazy, crap signing that had no desire to play for BCFC. And yes I know Maynard and Sproule came out and thanked him for his help, well I think that was pure spin by the club to take the heat off SJ. When that failed GJ said he does more than any of us noticed. All spin and BS! But in order to try and get the player going had to be done!

I was not wrong Lee, I just said give him time and a chance. I wont twist anything either, he was rubbish for us. But you can understand why GJ gave him a chance, he was a proven striker at this level.

I did'nt mind him being lazy, but i expected him to get a few goals to make up for it!

I was not wrong Lee, I just said give him time and a chance. I wont twist anything either, he was rubbish for us. But you can understand why GJ gave him a chance, he was a proven striker at this level.

I did'nt mind him being lazy, but i expected him to get a few goals to make up for it!

My post was not actually aimed at you mate, but yes I remember our debate about SJ. I do understand why GJ gave him a chance, not sure I agree he was proven, all but for 1 season, at this level. But now would be the time to judge SJ and the verdict has to be that he failed.

I wont say I told you so!

Ooops, just did, :innocent06:

My post was not actually aimed at you mate, but yes I remember our debate about SJ. I do understand why GJ gave him a chance, not sure I agree he was proven, all but for 1 season, at this level. But now would be the time to judge SJ and the verdict has to be that he failed.

I wont say I told you so!

Ooops, just did, :innocent06:

Failed miserably.

Spending alot of time in Birmingham meant I never expected a quick moving, all action striker, i never had great hopes (15 goals) for Stern. I did however hope he would get a few though and admittedly he didn't, that's where his proven record has come from. Our style of football didn't suit a proven poacher, not scoring goals anyway.

Why did we do so badly when he was left out of the team?

The fans wanted more attacking free flowing quick-paced football ... Stern doesn't offer that.

I don't blame you for not being frustrated with him, I frequently got frustrated with him.

Archived