IGNORED

Gary Johnson To Reading

PhatWill

You know Johnson won't go there. Reading are a very good Championship club but by the time their best players have joined mid-table Prem clubs it'll be more like a side step.

Their chairman has wanted to sell up for years but no one will take them on for what their chairman feels they are worth. Take away Mr. Chairman's money and you'll find a good ol' fashioned little club with a long but uneventful history and some would say a potentially dangerous immediate future (bubble bursting?), they needed promotion this season - Your boss has it good, assured that he ressurected his employers the honest way.

Saying that, I hope he hands in his resignation tomorrow ^_^

A good post. It would be interesting to see what would happen to their new found support if they were to have a bad period.

Can't see it happening myself, does not exact;y seem to be on the radar of bookmakers or Reading 606 forum etc.

Here are some odds from Sky:

OutrightsNext Permanent Reading Manager - Next Permanent Manager

Refresh odds Add to Basket Bet now

Rodgers B 1/3 Jewell P 16/1 Barnes J 20/1

Dolan E 7/1 Ferguson D 16/1 Wise D 20/1

Curbishley A 10/1 Cotterill S 16/1 Roeder G 25/1

Boothroyd A 10/1 Poyet G 16/1 Jackett K 25/1

Pardew A 11/1 Sanchez L 20/1 OLeary D 25/1

Ince P 12/1 MagiltonJ 20/1 Hassenthaler A 25/1

Holloway I 14/1 McAllister G 20/1 Wilkins R 33/1

Souness G 14/1 Adams T 20/1 Speed G 33/1

Hoddle G 14/1 McGhee M 20/1 Taylor P 33/1

Dowie I 16/1

Two of the more surprising ones on there have to be Holloway and Tony Adams!

gary will not go to Reading, no doubt about that.

he may use the link as another wee bit of leverage for more of a transfer kitty... frankly though, i do not see reading as a step up AT ALL for gary. not so long ago they were a two bit team playing in Division 4 with a shambolic stadium. their best days are now behind them. mid table finish for them next season. City, meanwhile, are still heading onwards and upwards and gary wants to be the chief architect of that.

According to FansFC nothing to worry about:

http://www.fansfc.com/story/11164.html

Astounding.

The Evening Post makes something up, and then someone else picks up that fictional piece of journalism and suddenly it becomes "strongly linked".

I'd love to know how they determine the strength of a link on a grade of 'tenuous' to 'strongly linked'. Oh, that's right, they make it up.

Astounding.

The Evening Post makes something up, and then someone else picks up that fictional piece of journalism and suddenly it becomes "strongly linked".

I'd love to know how they determine the strength of a link on a grade of 'tenuous' to 'strongly linked'. Oh, that's right, they make it up.

I venture a guess... gary's unbeknownst to him PR men like 2 angels hovering above him ensuring he has all of the best angles and carrots and sweet meats in his pocket in which to pull out, place on the chairman's table and say.... you know boss.. maybe we need to up that offer by 10% to get our man.

Story from today's EP...

Bristol City chairman Steve Lansdown will try to resist any interest from Reading in boss Gary Johnson, writes Nathan Jones.

The Ashton Gate manager is among the names being linked with the Royals' vacancy.

Steve Coppell dramatically resigned after Reading lost to Burnley in the Championship play-offs on Tuesday night.

Lansdown said: "What Reading do is up to them. They would have to speak to me first and go through the proper procedures but the answer would still be no. Gary is part of our long-term planning and hopefully we are part of his.

"We look forward to going forward together and we are planning for next season."

While former Charlton and West Ham boss Alan Curbishley and ex-England manager Glenn Hoddle are among the front-runners, Johnson's success at City has not gone unnoticed.

The former Yeovil Town boss led City to an impressive 2-0 win at the Madejski Stadium in March and can boast one of the most impressive track records outside the top-flight.

Bristol City chairman Lansdown will be keen to hold on to Johnson, who has four years remaining on his Ashton Gate contract.

But the lure of taking charge at a former Premier League club that came so close to automatic promotion this season may tempt Johnson.

After the Robins' final home game of the season, a 1-1 draw with Sheffield Wednesday, Johnson, half-jokingly, said: "Someone is going to wonder why Bristol City have had two competitive seasons in the Championship.

"Is it the manager, is it the coach, is it the players? Somebody is going to be looking, aren't they?"

Johnson has been tenuously linked with the vacancy at Queens Park Rangers, after former Portugal midfielder Paulo Sousa was sacked last month.

But joint owner Flavio Briatore's propensity to give managers less than a year in the job, plus his reputation for meddling in team affairs, is likely to put off the less than desperate.

The Reading link is more realistic and Johnson's ability to work on a budget could also catch the eye of chairman John Madejski.

Other names in the frame include Alan Pardew and Mark McGhee. Madejski is due to hold a press conference with Coppell this morning.

Coppell's departure after five and a half years makes Johnson the ninth longest serving 'permanent' manager in English professional football.

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/sport/Readi...il/article.html

Johnson is to smart.

He knows what is about to happening westwards.

I venture a guess... gary's unbeknownst to him PR men like 2 angels hovering above him ensuring he has all of the best angles and carrots and sweet meats in his pocket in which to pull out, place on the chairman's table and say.... you know boss.. maybe we need to up that offer by 10% to get our man.

To be honest I don't think he even needs to do that. If anything stops us getting players it's that Gary thinks they're not worth the money, not that Steve won't let him spend it.

Obviously I don't know exactly what happens but I get the feeling that Steve Lansdown has never once refused to back Gary in the transfer market. Obviously there's a budget to stick to but I don't think it's been a limiting factor aside from the fact that we obviously can't sign people on 5 or 6 times the current top wage.

Archived