IGNORED

Gary Johnson To Reading

PhatWill

Story from today's EP...

Bristol City chairman Steve Lansdown will try to resist any interest from Reading in boss Gary Johnson, writes Nathan Jones.

The Ashton Gate manager is among the names being linked with the Royals' vacancy.

Steve Coppell dramatically resigned after Reading lost to Burnley in the Championship play-offs on Tuesday night.

Lansdown said: "What Reading do is up to them. They would have to speak to me first and go through the proper procedures but the answer would still be no. Gary is part of our long-term planning and hopefully we are part of his.

"We look forward to going forward together and we are planning for next season."

While former Charlton and West Ham boss Alan Curbishley and ex-England manager Glenn Hoddle are among the front-runners, Johnson's success at City has not gone unnoticed.

The former Yeovil Town boss led City to an impressive 2-0 win at the Madejski Stadium in March and can boast one of the most impressive track records outside the top-flight.

Bristol City chairman Lansdown will be keen to hold on to Johnson, who has four years remaining on his Ashton Gate contract.

But the lure of taking charge at a former Premier League club that came so close to automatic promotion this season may tempt Johnson.

After the Robins' final home game of the season, a 1-1 draw with Sheffield Wednesday, Johnson, half-jokingly, said: "Someone is going to wonder why Bristol City have had two competitive seasons in the Championship.

"Is it the manager, is it the coach, is it the players? Somebody is going to be looking, aren't they?"

Johnson has been tenuously linked with the vacancy at Queens Park Rangers, after former Portugal midfielder Paulo Sousa was sacked last month.

But joint owner Flavio Briatore's propensity to give managers less than a year in the job, plus his reputation for meddling in team affairs, is likely to put off the less than desperate.

The Reading link is more realistic and Johnson's ability to work on a budget could also catch the eye of chairman John Madejski.

Other names in the frame include Alan Pardew and Mark McGhee. Madejski is due to hold a press conference with Coppell this morning.

Coppell's departure after five and a half years makes Johnson the ninth longest serving 'permanent' manager in English professional football.

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/sport/Readi...il/article.html

This screams of simply filling column inches.

The only quote of note has come about by someone phoning Lansdown and saying 'I see Reading are after a new manager, Gary's done well here hasnt he . . . . .'

Johnson has been tenuously linked with the vacancy at Queens Park Rangers, after former Portugal midfielder Paulo Sousa was sacked last month.

I'd love to know what 'tenuously' means in this context and how it differs from the tenuous link in the main story.

Reading need a manager. Gary Johnson is a manager. We have no news. Run it.

That seems to be the basic story here.

I can't imagine for one minute that a man who bases his entire philosophy on building "his" team, a tightly-knit group of players who he knows and trusts, would abandon a part-built team whose strengths and weaknesses he knows and a Chairman he knows will back him in order to take over a relatively unknown group of players who are only slightly better than the ones he'd be leaving.

If the Evening Post were any kind of supportive paper they could run an article covering the reasons why Johnson wouldn't go to Reading, which I think is a rather longer list than the list of reasons why he would go.

I can't imagine for one minute that a man who bases his entire philosophy on building "his" team, a tightly-knit group of players who he knows and trusts, would abandon a part-built team whose strengths and weaknesses he knows and a Chairman he knows will back him in order to take over a relatively unknown group of players who are only slightly better than the ones he'd be leaving.

If the Evening Post were any kind of supportive paper they could run an article covering the reasons why Johnson wouldn't go to Reading, which I think is a rather longer list than the list of reasons why he would go.

:no: Come on Dan!!!

Sorry. I guess I'm used to seeing the Yorkshire Evening Post which seems to look upon the local sports teams as something to be proud and supportive of, rather than either an annoying nuisance or an expendable target that can be used to sell papers.

I could imagine it Dan - probably more wages, a bigger transfer budget , and a more realistic chance of getting in the Prem.

I just don't think Reading would be interested in GJ though - what does he offer that would encourage Madjeski to make a bid over other (unemployed and therefore maybe cheaper and higher profile) managers?

This is such a non story.... they must be so desperate to fill column inches. Very poor.

Still at least it's original this time - they've spend the whole of the this week re-hashing quotes from GJ's appearance on radio brizzle's phone in last friday!

Over the years I've become used to the relentless incompetence of the Evil post and everyone associated with them. Their raving idiocy has the feel of a comfortable pair of slippers it's so familiar. It's nothing new and it won't change.

What's particularly amusing is the lengths that the buffoons went to in order to fabricate this pipe dream and fill a column. They actually phoned SteveL and wasted his time by asking him a completely hypothetical question with no basis in reality. Having received the predictable answers any one of us would have guessed at they then attempted to use them to make this look like an actual news story. And failed.

If the half wit third rate hacks at the Evil Post ever managed to publish something looking remotely like a good piece of journalism I would quite possibly go into shock.

I could imagine it Dan - probably more wages, a bigger transfer budget , and a more realistic chance of getting in the Prem.

I just don't think Reading would be interested in GJ though - what does he offer that would encourage Madjeski to make a bid over other (unemployed and therefore maybe cheaper and higher profile) managers?

Part of the reason they didn't go up this season is that Madejski was tight with the cash. I think Steve Lansdown is every bit as supportive, if not more so. Plus half their players now believe they are Premier League superstars and have lost the drive they once had. I will not be surprised if City finish above them next year.

If I were GJ it would take a ludicrous offer to make me even consider moving.

Story from today's EP...

Bristol City chairman Steve Lansdown will try to resist any interest from Reading in boss Gary Johnson, writes Nathan Jones.

The Ashton Gate manager is among the names being linked with the Royals' vacancy.

Steve Coppell dramatically resigned after Reading lost to Burnley in the Championship play-offs on Tuesday night.

Lansdown said: "What Reading do is up to them. They would have to speak to me first and go through the proper procedures but the answer would still be no. Gary is part of our long-term planning and hopefully we are part of his.

"We look forward to going forward together and we are planning for next season."

While former Charlton and West Ham boss Alan Curbishley and ex-England manager Glenn Hoddle are among the front-runners, Johnson's success at City has not gone unnoticed.

The former Yeovil Town boss led City to an impressive 2-0 win at the Madejski Stadium in March and can boast one of the most impressive track records outside the top-flight.

Bristol City chairman Lansdown will be keen to hold on to Johnson, who has four years remaining on his Ashton Gate contract.

But the lure of taking charge at a former Premier League club that came so close to automatic promotion this season may tempt Johnson.

After the Robins' final home game of the season, a 1-1 draw with Sheffield Wednesday, Johnson, half-jokingly, said: "Someone is going to wonder why Bristol City have had two competitive seasons in the Championship.

"Is it the manager, is it the coach, is it the players? Somebody is going to be looking, aren't they?"

But joint owner Flavio Briatore's propensity to give managers less than a year in the job, plus his reputation for meddling in team affairs, is likely to put off the less than desperate.

The Reading link is more realistic and Johnson's ability to work on a budget could also catch the eye of chairman John Madejski.

Other names in the frame include Alan Pardew and Mark McGhee. Madejski is due to hold a press conference with Coppell this morning.

Coppell's departure after five and a half years makes Johnson the ninth longest serving 'permanent' manager in English professional football.

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/sport/Readi...il/article.html

Within the normal scheme of "journalism" (which has come to mean "reporting bad news" the world over - this apparently is what people like to read, hear about (don't go along with that myself)) this is fairly innocuous.

But over and over again the present-day theories about the Evening Post reporting of Bristol City, that the Post regularly s**t-stir about us, seem to be true.

Wouldn't it be great to have a proper sports writer there again. Yes, somebody who could write ON HIS OWN, before the days of "Forum sniffer-abouters"

Peter Godsiff was brilliant.

He'd have headlines like "ATYEO ANSWERS HIS CRITICS"

He really was knowledgeable about football and was behind ALL football in Bristol

The answer to your first paragraph is - money.

Your second paragraph is an extremely good point - as Edson says above, there is no story, other than what is at the moment a non-story from the Evening Post. File under fiction, letter "T", as in, ####.

There's a press conference today at Reading FC. Their fans are fairly sure Brendan Rodgers will be named as their new manager

Handy.

The Evening Post can run the same story tomorrow, with the same quotes from Steve Lansdown, just replacing the word 'Reading' with the word 'Watford'.

That'll save them a lot of time.

The answer to your first paragraph is - money.

Gary Johnson has a 5 year contract at City on what I imagine is a very competitive salary. I can't see Reading offering him enough to compensate for the risk of moving when the potential benefits are so small.

City are a club on the up and Reading are currently one on the slide. They have a large squad of players who think they've made it and only one more season of parachute payments. They've got absolutely nothing City can't offer and far more risk of failure for Johnson.

You know Johnson won't go there. Reading are a very good Championship club but by the time their best players have joined mid-table Prem clubs it'll be more like a side step.

Their chairman has wanted to sell up for years but no one will take them on for what their chairman feels they are worth. Take away Mr. Chairman's money and you'll find a good ol' fashioned little club with a long but uneventful history and some would say a potentially dangerous immediate future (bubble bursting?), they needed promotion this season - Your boss has it good, assured that he ressurected his employers the honest way.

Saying that, I hope he hands in his resignation tomorrow ^_^

Archived