IGNORED

Mark Yeates From Colchester

Sampson City Reds

Adding to the mix (and breaking my self imposed summer silence)...

We are in talks with Stephen Hughes of Motherwell.

Hi Samo

I don't know much about hughes, is he a central midfielder?

any good?

and is this something youve heard or just someone you'd like to see us sign

Would be a good signing, although having looked at Colchester's site, he does look like a gingerish Frank Lampard with earrings. :blink:

Ha ha that he does!

Well Preston have got the fat steven gerrard (neil mellor), maybe we should sign fat frank!

does he normally play left or right wing?

Hi Samo

any good?

Creative midfielder, 27, 6ft., doesn't score many goals, known as 'Shuggy'. Had a spell at Leicester, bombed out by Allen.

Ha ha that he does!

Well Preston have got the fat steven gerrard (neil mellor), maybe we should sign fat frank!

does he normally play left or right wing?

Not sure, just says midfielder.

Very interesting season's statistics for Colchester:

Most appearances: Mark Yeates, 50

Most goals: Mark Yeates, 13

Most assists: Mark Yeates, 11

Most shots: Mark Yeates, 134 :noexpression:

More shots over the season than any of their forwards?? :dunno:

Hi Samo

any good?

Alight there.

As I've mentioned before I work with someone very close to several players at Motherwell (which is my 'source' for any interested parties) and he has recently mentioned that Hughes is likely to be leaving due to the fact the club are having money trouble. He has said that we have been scouting at Motherwell, and more specifically Hughes, for quite some time. He's heard via his mates that we are the only club to yet approach him directly, although one or two other English clubs are interested too.

He plays centrally and is well thought of by Motherwell fans. He is considered quite creative, although it is difficult to judge if he'd be as effective at Championship level. I'd suggest he is more 'combative' than Lee Johnson, but more 'intelligent' on the ball than either Skuse or Elliot, if not a little less dynamic.

He has played at this level before (under current Dundee United manager Craig Levein) and his more back to Scotland (he was previously at Rangers) was more due to the fact he is from the area.

Could be interesting, certainly as he's a free agent this summer, although I'm sure many will question his pedigree if we were to move for him.

Creative midfielder, 27, 6ft., doesn't score many goals, known as 'Shuggy'. Had a spell at Leicester, bombed out by Allen.

All true, but I'd say that pointing out his lack of goals doesn't really say much about him, nor does Martin Allen bombing him out (not exactly pulling up trees in his own career right now).

Hughes was key part of the Motherwell team that finished third last year in the SPL and the reason many Motherwell fans give to there current plight (bottom 6 of the SPL) is due to Hughes missing through injury for a significant period, something brought about due to having to play carrying an injury prior to Christmas.

All true, but I'd say that pointing out his lack of goals doesn't really say much about him, nor does Martin Allen bombing him out (not exactly pulling up trees in his own career right now).

It does for me because, in my opinion, we need midfielders who can add significantly to our overall poor goal tally.

I wasn't suggesting Allen was right to bomb Hughes out, far from it.

I would imagine most wouldn't see that occurrence as a slur on Hughes in any way.

Hughes would be a good signing, especially if we wouldnt have to pay a fee, he has seemingly excelled against the old firm when playing for Motherwell for the last 2 seasons, which is often a good benchmark for the quality of a player playing north of the border....I would prefer to sign arfield from Falkirk as it looks as though they are going down and there is no way he would stay with them, I imagine the old firm will be in for him, but we could perhaps offer better incentives....more optimistically signing Mccarthy from hamilton would be ideal, if a tad optimistic.....

It does for me because, in my opinion, we need midfielders who can add significantly to our overall poor goal tally.

I wasn't suggesting Allen was right to bomb Hughes out, far from it.

I would imagine most wouldn't see that occurrence as a slur on Hughes in any way.

I fully agree and, don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting Hughes would be a good signing or not, just that he is seen as an attacking player despite the poor goal total.

We do need a 'selfish' player in that central area, someone who always wants to hit the shot and take the risk.

I fully agree and, don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting Hughes would be a good signing or not, just that he is seen as an attacking player despite the poor goal total.

We do need a 'selfish' player in that central area, someone who always wants to hit the shot and take the risk.

We need creativity around the opposition box much more than we need goals from central midfielders. Goals from midfield aren't a problem, we get a decent number of those, goals from forwards most definitely are.

Can he take set pieces?

Hughes would be a good signing, especially if we wouldnt have to pay a fee, he has seemingly excelled against the old firm when playing for Motherwell for the last 2 seasons, which is often a good benchmark for the quality of a player playing north of the border....I would prefer to sign arfield from Falkirk as it looks as though they are going down and there is no way he would stay with them, I imagine the old firm will be in for him, but we could perhaps offer better incentives....more optimistically signing Mccarthy from hamilton would be ideal, if a tad optimistic.....

Andy Dorman is another central, goal-scoring midfield player who I think might be a decent signing.

One year left on his deal, grew up in Wales and St. Mirren (his club) may very well go down this year.

He could well be a good signing samo, and thanks for letting us know about him.

I suppose it's just that Hughes is appearing on the Yeates thread and so is inevitably compared with a player who looks well-nigh perfect for us.

Perhaps we're going for both? :dunno:

We need creativity around the opposition box much more than we need goals from central midfielders. Goals from midfield aren't a problem, we get a decent number of those, goals from forwards most definitely are.

Can he take set pieces?

I couldn't tell you, although he does have three assists from open play in the last three games (one in each). He's often employed alongside an 'enforcer' and is seen as the creative half (or third; they often play 4-3-3) of their midfield.

He could well be a good signing samo, and thanks for letting us know about him.

I suppose it's just that Hughes is appearing on the Yeates thread and so is inevitably compared with a player who looks well-nigh perfect for us.

Perhaps we're going for both? :dunno:

Considering his cost (nothing) I could see Hughes being an attractive option for us, even if it is a little bit of a gamble. I'd suggest he might be a replacement for Noble, whilst Yeates would be compertition for the wingers we already have, and if Hughes came for nothing that leaves us with more to spend on other areas.

Goals from midfield aren't a problem, we get a decent number of those

I'd have to disagree with that, apart from perhaps McIndoe we offer far too little threat of goals from midfield, and this is an ongoing problem that needs to be addressed.

Someone like Yeates, who might well get into double figures, would make a big difference and should be a priority signing IMO.

I remember hearing/reading somewhere that he's got dodgy knees.

Just been browsing around and discovered he was set to sign for Palace , the fee etc was agreed but he failed the medical....

Looks like he has put his inurys behind him though which is good news if we do manage to get him.

Not sure, just says midfielder.

Very interesting season's statistics for Colchester:

Most appearances: Mark Yeates, 50

Most goals: Mark Yeates, 13

Most assists: Mark Yeates, 11

Most shots: Mark Yeates, 134 :noexpression:

More shots over the season than any of their forwards?? :dunno:

Looking on 606 forums he has won their 606 voted player of season. And no surprise with those stats.

However it appears he may have been more recently been used as a 'hole' player or second striker than a winger. Consensus is that he is so loathe to do any tracking back or defensive work that he can be a liability out wide in a 4 man midfield. Often goes missing in games as well (but show me a winger that doesnt ever go missing now and then!).

I reckon this would def be worth a shout, especially at that price. although i do seriously admire the grafting spirit of our midfield maybe we could do with one more creative goal threat. However saying that look how Noble and Trunds have got on here under GJ??

Also a note is palace apparently had the deal done for 650k until he failed a medical in the window. I should expect we would meet serious competition from them for his signing.

Alight there.

As I've mentioned before I work with someone very close to several players at Motherwell (which is my 'source' for any interested parties) and he has recently mentioned that Hughes is likely to be leaving due to the fact the club are having money trouble. He has said that we have been scouting at Motherwell, and more specifically Hughes, for quite some time. He's heard via his mates that we are the only club to yet approach him directly, although one or two other English clubs are interested too.

He plays centrally and is well thought of by Motherwell fans. He is considered quite creative, although it is difficult to judge if he'd be as effective at Championship level. I'd suggest he is more 'combative' than Lee Johnson, but more 'intelligent' on the ball than either Skuse or Elliot, if not a little less dynamic.

He has played at this level before (under current Dundee United manager Craig Levein) and his more back to Scotland (he was previously at Rangers) was more due to the fact he is from the area.

Could be interesting, certainly as he's a free agent this summer, although I'm sure many will question his pedigree if we were to move for him.

Cheers samo

Sounds like more of a complete centre mid than either a ballwinner or playmaker.

If hes on a free then cant see the harm to be honest

Archived