IGNORED

Mark Yeates From Colchester

Sampson City Reds

Cheers samo

Sounds like more of a complete centre mid than either a ballwinner or playmaker.

If hes on a free then cant see the harm to be honest

TBH what we need is a creative/goal-scoring midfielder who is willing to compete for 1 midfield place and be willing/able to play most of the season on the right wing :disapointed2se:

Hughes would be a good signing, especially if we wouldnt have to pay a fee, he has seemingly excelled against the old firm when playing for Motherwell for the last 2 seasons, which is often a good benchmark for the quality of a player playing north of the border....I would prefer to sign arfield from Falkirk as it looks as though they are going down and there is no way he would stay with them, I imagine the old firm will be in for him, but we could perhaps offer better incentives....more optimistically signing Mccarthy from hamilton would be ideal, if a tad optimistic.....

If playing well against the old firm is anything to go by, why is Ivan Sproule so s**t?

"Dorman is another central, goal-scoring midfield player who I think might be a decent signing."

And his name is very close to 'Dolman', especially when said in a Bristolian accent. Mind you, the danger is if he signed he may be tempted to leave the pitch 10 minutes before the final whistle.....

"Dorman is another central, goal-scoring midfield player who I think might be a decent signing."

And his name is very close to 'Dolman', especially when said in a Bristolian accent. Mind you, the danger is if he signed he may be tempted to leave the pitch 10 minutes before the final whistle.....

After heckling Lee Johnson for the other 80 :innocent06:

Looking on 606 forums he has won their 606 voted player of season. And no surprise with those stats.

However it appears he may have been more recently been used as a 'hole' player or second striker than a winger. Consensus is that he is so loathe to do any tracking back or defensive work that he can be a liability out wide in a 4 man midfield. Often goes missing in games as well (but show me a winger that doesnt ever go missing now and then!).

I reckon this would def be worth a shout, especially at that price. although i do seriously admire the grafting spirit of our midfield maybe we could do with one more creative goal threat. However saying that look how Noble and Trunds have got on here under GJ??

Also a note is palace apparently had the deal done for 650k until he failed a medical in the window. I should expect we would meet serious competition from them for his signing.

Palace have no money, so i cant see them being a problem. The other 22 clubs though :bruce_h4h:

Guest RobbieTurner
Not sure, just says midfielder.

Very interesting season's statistics for Colchester:

Most appearances: Mark Yeates, 50

Most goals: Mark Yeates, 13

Most assists: Mark Yeates, 11

Most shots: Mark Yeates, 134 :noexpression:

More shots over the season than any of their forwards?? :dunno:

To be honest - with those stats he will be on GJ's radar i'm sure. GJ said about Carle that he didnt tick the boxes - no goals, assists, not enough shots, etc etc....compare the 2 of them and you can see why Colin was in for Yeates last year. Hopefully GJ will beat him to it and Yeates will pass the medical. Then he can return to haunt Colin.....!!!

Pretty certain when Yeates failed the medical at Palace last year it was to do with his shoulder - if he's played that many games then it's obviously not a problem anymore. As for the Motherwell lad, if it's true, lets hope he brings a bit more than the last Motherwell player we signed!!!

I'd have to disagree with that, apart from perhaps McIndoe we offer far too little threat of goals from midfield, and this is an ongoing problem that needs to be addressed.

Someone like Yeates, who might well get into double figures, would make a big difference and should be a priority signing IMO.

We got 20 league goals from midfield last season, it isn't a problem.

The problem is goals from strikers. We only got 28 of those from our 6 strikers.

Yeates looks like a great signing if it were true but what is critical is that we create chances for strikers.

According to todays evil post that Yeates is out of contract with Colchester now and he is 24 years old. If we were able to get him would be have to pay Colchester for the age thing or his he old enough now to go for free?

Pretty certain 24 is the cut off point for stuff like that, but not sure if it's 24 before or after a certain date in the year etc etc

Well done matey but 1 question...how the freakin hell do you come across things like this in obscure papers !!??

Also if you do a google news search on Bristol city, its normally good way of finding if there is anything in any of the press.

Well done matey but 1 question...how the freakin hell do you come across things like this in obscure papers !!??

Also if you do a google news search on Bristol city, its normally good way of finding if there is anything in any of the press.

Sort of, you need to add a few things to filter the crap and I don't search, it's more the search engine notifying me.

http://news.google.co.uk/news?um=1&ned=uk&hl=en&q="bristol+city"+-council&cf=all&scoring=n

Feed that into the address bar and you'll get pretty close to the latest BCFC related stories.

You can also add some cgi code to that to pick up more, that will not pick up everything, add &nlor.

EDIT; Sorry it's &nlor=1

Ok, I've edited that into the above post. Cheers.

Excellent Madger and everyone else.. great info.

While rummaging i found an article about the new stadium and one paragraph stood out for me:-

Just yesterday further exciting announcements were made, linking Tesco with Bristol City, suggesting that they are not only interested in purchasing the Ashton Gate site but that they would also like to be further involved with Bristol City at the new Ashton Vale site.

I jested a few weeks back about Tesco taking over the tuck shops and cafes at the new stadium.. oh how i wished i kept my mouth shut!! Let us hope the mighty Tesco are kept at bay.

from what i have read yeates is very technically good and can score goals, however he isnt super quick

this sounds liek the exact opposite of sproule

so this would mean we would have two very different options ont he right wing we could employ depending on opposition.

id be all for this, although i wouldnt be surprised if we had to pay more liek 500k for him.

He has been lined with london clubs before like palarse so we will have to be careful they don't come back in.

Archived