IGNORED

Skuse And Sproule

SJC

Guest DanC

I'm still not entirely sure on Sproule. He blows hot and cold too much for my liking. If we are to have a assault on automatic promotion then I'm not convinced he is the answer. I think his position is one that seriously needs to be strengthened.

Right wing is the top priority this summer for me which would once again leave Sproule to fill the 'impact sub' role.

I think 12 months is a sensible extension, however this is surely the last hurrah unless we see a marked improvement in consistency.

Right wing is the top priority this summer for me which would once again leave Sproule to fill the 'impact sub' role.

Me too.

I think 12 months is a sensible extension, however this is surely the last hurrah unless we see a marked improvement in consistency.

He did improve during our 'purple patch' in the new year, definately a confidence player, lets hope GJ/KM can improve him more.

Really good news if Skuuuuuse signs.

Snoz

Lovin' Sproule's pace, but his crossing? The bloke struggles to cross his legs, let alone a ball.

Skuse - fair play. The boy 'done good' during our winter purple patch.

Compare Sproule with Dave Cotterill and you have a clear difference in abiliy.

Cotterill is winger who effects virtually every game he plays in. He's takes the Blades penalites, is creative and delivers good crosses. He bombs up and down the wing all game. He's a class act.

Sproule is pace, pace and more pace. Thats it. No quality, poor scoring record, lightwieght, can't cross. Too fiery.He's about as one-dimensional as its possible to be.

Why Johnson would want to extend his current deal a mystery to me.

Cotterill is winger who effects virtually every game he plays in. He's takes the Blades penalites, is creative and delivers good crosses. He bombs up and down the wing all game. He's a class act.

Sproule is pace, pace and more pace. Thats it. No quality, poor scoring record, lightwieght, can't cross. Too fiery.He's about as one-dimensional as its possible to be.

Completley agree.

Sproule just isnt Championship Standard. We probably have got the fastest player in the Division but at the same time, one of the worst wingers. I couldnt believe he was still getting a place in the matchday squad :disapointed2se: . Gary Johnson really frustrates me at times! Surely his wages could be better spent on someone who can deliver 9/10 times rather than 2 or 3?? Even if we gave a young 'un a chance, he couldnt be any worse, could he????

Be very happy to see Skuse signing up, the more Bristolians performing well for us the better.

As for Sproule, the reason he is a confidence player for me is that he is out of his depth, take away that pace and you have a very average player indeed. I'm expecting a new right winger in the summer that will be first choice and Sproule just there as an impact player and to cover injuries and suspensions.

Why Johnson would want to extend his current deal a mystery to me

Because he is a fantastic option to have. I would not have him as first choice. but as a back-up/impact player.

He often changes games with his pace, when we have become to predicatable in a game, his pace gives the opposition something different to think about and often frightens defenders to death, especially late in a game.

i think we are missing the point with sproule, and i think GJ is too. sproule is by far at his best when played on the right of a 4-3-3 with less emphaisis on tracking back and filling in. there he can make his LB's life a misery and play more on his shoulder.

thats when he was at his best at hibs (as far as i can make out) and for us just after xmas. thats when we were at our best as well and I'm not really sure why we went back to 442 so readily and didnt stick with the 433.

so whilst its true that ivan needs to do more, we clearly don't play to his strengths.

I agree, Sproule isn't good enough and isn't going to get good enough. He has no brains on the pitch, he's proved that he cannot be consistent in the first XI, so we should be replacing not extending.

Skuse on the other hand is good news IMO.

Because he is a fantastic option to have. I would not have him as first choice. but as a back-up/impact player.

He often changes games with his pace, when we have become to predicatable in a game, his pace gives the opposition something different to think about and often frightens defenders to death, especially late in a game.

Sproule doesn't do enough because he simply doesn't have the all round ability to produce and to say that he changes games 'often' is simply inaccurate -once or twice over the season maybe.

There are far better, more productive wingers out there. Granted they won't have Sproule's pace but pace in isolation is simply not enough. Getting past a ful back with turbo pace and then firing the cross into the first defender or row 'z' isn't good enough - and thats what Sproule does 7 times out of 10.

He reminds me of Junior Bent. He was exactly the same.

Sproule doesn't do enough because he simply doesn't have the all round ability to produce and to say that he changes games 'often' is simply inaccurate -once or twice over the season maybe.

There are far better, more productive wingers out there. Granted they won't have Sproule's pace but pace in isolation is simply not enough. Getting past a ful back with turbo pace and then firing the cross into the first defender or row 'z' isn't good enough - and thats what Sproule does 7 times out of 10.

He reminds me of Junior Bent. He was exactly the same.

There are far more better wingers out there, but we need more than 1 winger who can play on the right. Or are you saying we need 2 new wingers?? who is going to sign and sit on the bench?

For me, we need a quality right winger - but sproule is as good as your going to get for a "back-up" player.

There are far more better wingers out there, but we need more than 1 winger who can play on the right. Or are you saying we need 2 new wingers?? who is going to sign and sit on the bench?

For me, we need a quality right winger - but sproule is as good as your going to get for a "back-up" player.

I don't think we should offer new contracts to players who are never going to be more than backup. If it means bringing in a top class winger and letting a youngster like Plummer be the backup or bringing in two then fine. Sproule isn't good enough.

I don't think we should offer new contracts to players who are never going to be more than backup. If it means bringing in a top class winger and letting a youngster like Plummer be the backup or bringing in two then fine. Sproule isn't good enough.

Plummer is a striker and if he aint physically strong enough for that yet, I cant see how he would be out on the right - where he would have to do much more defensive work.

Sproule IS good enough for this level, but not good enough for what we want - a promotion winning side.

Great news about Skuse, mixed feelings about Sproule, although THAT goal he scored is why GJ has offered him a new deal i think. Sproule just needs to think more, if his brain ever caught up with his pace then he would be deadly, I expect GJ thinks he can get more from him, I hope so.

I like Sprouley, but his end product needs to be better, especially at this high level, we can little afford to carry players who don't cut it.

Plummer is a striker and if he aint physically strong enough for that yet, I cant see how he would be out on the right - where he would have to do much more defensive work.

He plays wide as much as central and a winger's job is typically much less physical than a strikers. We're talking about backup anyway. And if he isn't good enough then sign two players.

Sproule IS good enough for this level, but not good enough for what we want - a promotion winning side.

No, he isn't good enough, he is usually poor and very occasionally good. He doesn't change games much, he's just a bit handy to bring on at home when we have the opposition on the back foot. There's no way a player who has so little effect should be getting a new deal IMO.

Sproule has been poor in so many games except when he has come on as sub. And even he rarely delivers anything of note (unless there is an open goal!)

Skuse has room to improve for me but showed signs of what he can do this season so pleased he has stayed on.

Completley agree.

Sproule just isnt Championship Standard. We probably have got the fastest player in the Division but at the same time, one of the worst wingers.

Have to agree - may as well ask Jason Gardiner to sign up now he's finished with athletics, he's quicker than Sproule and local after all...

Over the season we performed better, or at least achieved better results, with Skuse rather than Elliot. His signature to a new deal is a big boost as he displays both a tough tackling nature and, opposed to Elliott, a certain sense of attacking vision.

Personally I'm {currently} happy with Sproule. Whilst I very much agree he is, primarily, a 'one trick pony', he does have frightening pace and if others can learn to utilise this weapon, combined with him improving his field awareness (his delivery is better than some give credit for), we have in our armoury an incredibly threatening weapon.

That being said, and as I say above, this is surely his last chance to impress consistently, something Johnson clearly recognises due to the short term nature of the extension.

I find that sproule changes how we play and we "look" much more threatening with him on the pitch. Granted he doesn't always produce(rarely infact) but he changes our style into one that is much more exciting and attacking.

I think he also takes the attention away from other areas of the pitch as the defence seem to focus on him when he plays as he is so quick it is impossible to ignore him.

I think he is perfectly suited to the 'impact sub' role for us, as he puts teams on the back foot. Like i say he may not produce anything from the positions he gets in but having him on the pitch seems to make us play much more urgently and aggressively.

WHAT REALLY ANNOYS ME IS,

SKUSE GOOD, CORRECT OFFER........

SPROULE, GET RID I SAY........HOW MANY CITY FANS WOULD OFFER HIM A NEW CONTRACT, HARDLY ANYONE,

SO WHY DOES GARY JOHNSON AND STEVE LANDSDOWN KEEP GOING AGAINST WHAT WE CAN ALL SEE.

YOU SOMETIMES HAVE TO QUESTION THE WISDOM FROM INSIDE THE CLUB, CAN SPROULE TAKE US UP TO THE PREM, (NOT IN A BLOODY MILLION)

YET ANOTHER WASTE OF MONEY............. :disapointed2se:

SPROULE, GET RID I SAY........HOW MANY CITY FANS WOULD OFFER HIM A NEW CONTRACT, HARDLY ANYONE,

SO WHY DOES GARY JOHNSON AND STEVE LANDSDOWN KEEP GOING AGAINST WHAT WE CAN ALL SEE.

YOU SOMETIMES HAVE TO QUESTION THE WISDOM FROM INSIDE THE CLUB, CAN SPROULE TAKE US UP TO THE PREM, (NOT IN A BLOODY MILLION)

ok no need to shout your break a blood vessel

you know when GJ slates fans for thinking they know more than they do? you know the football manager 2009 thing?

you've just given a prime example there. Can Sproule single handidly take us to the Prem? No Terj, you're right. But can Sproule play an important role in our SQUAD and help to change games off the bench and when our :fingerscrossed: new signing :fingerscrossed: is injured or in need of a rest do a bit ti help us? Yes he can.

For a period this season Ivan was amongst out most impressive performers. It didnt last long and conincided with the teams overall loss of form. But he showed he can be a bloody nuisance to the opposition. that enough reason to justify an extension.

Good work GJ, we cannot afford to overhaul the squad and will need cover in all positions. smart move to keep a player like sproule for this purpose.

Sproule's a fantastic option to have off the bench that I think every team in this division would gladly have.

When he's in form like he was earlier this season he was almost unplayable, when he get's the ball people expect something to happen.

If you can't see any point in having Sproule in the squad then what do you think should happen? Sign two wingers and have one sit on the bench...?

I'm still not entirely sure on Sproule. He blows hot and cold too much for my liking. If we are to have a assault on automatic promotion then I'm not convinced he is the answer. I think his position is one that seriously needs to be strengthened.

Assault on automatic promotion? I think people are getting a bit ahead of themselves. We need to bring some quality in to make sure we aren't "looking over our shoulders" next season before we do anything else. Because what we have at the moment, as a squad, has relegation scrap written all over it.

Sproule *can* be a good player and he's really not far off it either. On a good day he can be unstoppable, there just haven't been enough of those so far.

People are complaining that all he can do is run. Well, all Scott Murray could do for a long time was just run. Then he got some composure in his finishing and started getting better service from midfield and all of a sudden was scoring 20+ goals a season.

I do think we should have seen more from Sproule by now but if GJ still thinks he can get more out of him I'm happy for him to keep trying.

Archived