IGNORED

New Signings

Harry

I believe that the latest transfer news coming out of the club was to suggest we'd made bids for 4 players, and whilst I fully understand the reasons for not disclosing who these players are, I'd like to seek peoples opinions on what they think of our transfer policy in terms of what info we release in the media.

On a lot of threads, people are saying that players are all on holiday at this time and that no deals will be done, and I'm sure there's a lot of truth in that. So, please consider the following :

We were promoted to the Championship on 5th May 2007.

We made our first summer signing on 27th June 2007 (Ivan Sproule).

This was over 7 weeks since we knew which league we'd be playing in.

The following season we reached the Playoff Final on 24th May 2008.

We made our first summer signing on 27th June 2008 (Gavin Williams).

This was less than 5 weeks since we knew which league we'd be playing in.

Last season, we heard from the Club that we were 6 weeks behind everyone else as we'd reached the Playoffs and so had to hold off making any bids. Fair enough point. Except for the fact that we'd made our first summer signings on the same day for the past 2 years.

This season, we're all getting our hopes up of getting some transfers in nice and early, considering we knew weeks ago that we'd be in the Championship. The Playoff final is now 4 days away, so in 4 days time, either Burnley of Sheff U will be knowing which players they wish to target, and are then back on an even keel with us.

So, I guess my point is this : If we don't make any signings in the next 4 days, then do you think we were basically mis-lead by the club that we were 6 weeks behind everyone else last year. Or do we just seem to take ages getting anything sorted in the transfer market?

My money is on a bland squad player being signed on 27th June. Wos reckon?

God I'm bored!! :no:

the transfer window isn't even open yet

gary will have targets you then have to agree a fee with the club this takes time especially if the club doesn't want to sell

you then have to offer the player a contract this also takes time as the players agent will want to get the best deal going and the club will also want to get the best deal and it will take even longer if other clubs are in the mix

it also takes time to sign out of contract players as they will search for the highest bidder and will keep there options open as long as possible dele being a prime example of this

the best thing to do is be patient they do say patience is a virtue

When I moved from Reading to Wycombe I was released on May 31st, and knew Wycombe wanted me to sign, I hung out for much better options and they never came. I still had a contract sat there with Wycombe and duly signed it on June 25th. I was told I had a month in which to make my decision. In all fairness I would say a lot of players do this, it could be said that we have had bids accepted and also that players have received contracts. The transfer window opens on June 1st so that's the earliest you can technically join but clubs like their players in to start training on July 1st. This means players have a month to go over different contracts. For what it's worth Wycombe was my only contract off that summer and it was a 2 year deal where I would have probably earned more stacking shelves in Tesco's.

When I moved from Reading to Wycombe I was released on May 31st, and knew Wycombe wanted me to sign, I hung out for much better options and they never came. I still had a contract sat there with Wycombe and duly signed it on June 25th. I was told I had a month in which to make my decision. In all fairness I would say a lot of players do this, it could be said that we have had bids accepted and also that players have received contracts. The transfer window opens on June 1st so that's the earliest you can technically join but clubs like their players in to start training on July 1st. This means players have a month to go over different contracts. For what it's worth Wycombe was my only contract off that summer and it was a 2 year deal where I would have probably earned more stacking shelves in Tesco's.

:noexpression:

On a lot of threads, people are saying that players are all on holiday at this time and that no deals will be done, and I'm sure there's a lot of truth in that. So, please consider the following :

Our first signing that summer was actually Stephen Henderson, who arrived on a free from Villa late in May..

I think as the 2 Championship seasons have progressed GJ believes he has more of his squad in place, hence 7 summer signings in our first year and only 2 in our second, though his comments both in the winter and at seasons' end suggest he knows he needs to change it a bit more now.

To me the key to our transfers could well be Elliott's future, as his departure would give us a presumably large fee to spend (probably on Dele's replacement) whereas if he stays we could be looking more at Bosman or lower fee striker signings.

My guess would be a couple of signings next month and two more in early July.

Guest RobbieTurner

Am I missing something here - whats your name kachina ??? I take it an ex player ?

Please reveal..... :sign09:

Fatboy's Diner: With so many people working on site, the wharf needs a fine upstanding dining establishment. And what better than a throwback 40s-style American diner in a characterful aluminium trailer? The interior looks impressively authentic, with barstools and dinettes, plus bits of jukebox liberally scattered about as decoration. On the appetising menu are burgers and all American Breakfasts, as well as cherry pie, Coca Cola floats and whopper sundaes. Even I would have broken my low cholesterol diet for a full dairy ice cream White Cow milkshake, had the owner not been overwhelmed by too many simultaneous diners. Instead I made do with some homemade soup (pea and mint, scrummy) from the rather titchier Driftwood Cafe van. But I'm sure I can be tempted back - the public are welcomed to Fatboys weekdays 10-5 and Saturdays 11-3.

the transfer window isn't even open yet

gary will have targets you then have to agree a fee with the club this takes time especially if the club doesn't want to sell

you then have to offer the player a contract this also takes time as the players agent will want to get the best deal going and the club will also want to get the best deal and it will take even longer if other clubs are in the mix

it also takes time to sign out of contract players as they will search for the highest bidder and will keep there options open as long as possible dele being a prime example of this

the best thing to do is be patient they do say patience is a virtue

And taking all that into consideration (which by the way I fully agree with), why were we told last year that we were weeks behind everyone else because we'd reached the play-offs. If nothing is ever seriously dealt with by clubs, players & agents until June anyway, why were the excuses last year that we'd missed out on players because we were coming into the bidding process late?

I believe that the latest transfer news coming out of the club was to suggest we'd made bids for 4 players, and whilst I fully understand the reasons for not disclosing who these players are, I'd like to seek peoples opinions on what they think of our transfer policy in terms of what info we release in the media.

The following season we reached the Playoff Final on 24th May 2008.

We made our first summer signing on 27th June 2008 (Gavin Williams).

This was less than 5 weeks since we knew which league we'd be playing in.

Last season, we heard from the Club that we were 6 weeks behind everyone else as we'd reached the Playoffs and so had to hold off making any bids. Fair enough point. Except for the fact that we'd made our first summer signings on the same day for the past 2 years.

This season, we're all getting our hopes up of getting some transfers in nice and early, considering we knew weeks ago that we'd be in the Championship. The Playoff final is now 4 days away, so in 4 days time, either Burnley of Sheff U will be knowing which players they wish to target, and are then back on an even keel with us.

So, I guess my point is this : If we don't make any signings in the next 4 days, then do you think we were basically mis-lead by the club that we were 6 weeks behind everyone else last year. Or do we just seem to take ages getting anything sorted in the transfer market?

My money is on a bland squad player being signed on 27th June. Wos reckon?

God I'm bored!! :no:

I think we will follow the well trodden path of sitting on our hands and letting other clubs sign the quality whilst at the same time the regular spin of how hard it is to sign players is pumped out by Gary Johnson.He will have to vastly up his performance in the transfer market from last year and frankly I don't think he is up to it.

I think we will follow the well trodden path of sitting on our hands and letting other clubs sign the quality whilst at the same time the regular spin of how hard it is to sign players is pumped out by Gary Johnson.He will have to vastly up his performance in the transfer market from last year and frankly I don't think he is up to it.

Do you honestly think that Gary Johnson spends the summer "sitting on his hands"? And that it isn't hard to sign the right players at all?

Which players would he need to sign for you to feel he is up to it?

Do you honestly think that Gary Johnson spends the summer "sitting on his hands"? And that it isn't hard to sign the right players at all?

Which players would he need to sign for you to feel he is up to it?

Players who have experience of the prem or a good standard championship player.

Someone who can help younger players of the team. In otherwords.

Experience, Experience, and perhaps a bit more experience.

Yes, pay that bit extra in wages!

So not not too much to HOPE for!

we are still very much small fish in a big pond the sooner people come to terms with that the better we wont be competing with the big fish and making the club financially unstable so get used to it

Guest pogopete
we are still very much small fish in a big pond the sooner people come to terms with that the better we wont be competing with the big fish and making the club financially unstable so get used to it

The club has spent money the trouble is Johnson has bought poorly in a lot of cases

And taking all that into consideration (which by the way I fully agree with), why were we told last year that we were weeks behind everyone else because we'd reached the play-offs. If nothing is ever seriously dealt with by clubs, players & agents until June anyway, why were the excuses last year that we'd missed out on players because we were coming into the bidding process late?

I understand your point but I think you hugely underestimate the amount of negotiations that go on behind the scenes before there is any mention of a transfer. This obviously all takes time. I would hope that as soon as it was obvious we wouldn't be in the playoffs the urgency was stepped up a gear. I would hope that we never actually stop looking.

I expect it would be extremely rare for a player to be contacted one day and be signing the next, in fact I hope it doesn't happen as these things should be fully researched and investigated by all parties as so much is at stake.

I can't imagine Gary or his staff are the type to sit on their hands as someone has suggested, quite the opposite. If he can find time to switch off and have a break, good on him, but I just don't think he ever fully does somehow.

The club has spent money the trouble is Johnson has bought poorly in a lot of cases

course he has we have struggled for the last two years ?????????????????????????????? the only player we have dropped a bollock with has been trundle that aint bad going like i said in my post above the sooner you understand that the better

course he has we have struggled for the last two years ?????????????????????????????? the only player we have dropped a bollock with has been trundle that aint bad going like i said in my post above the sooner you understand that the better

have you forgotten Stern John already - now that is a real waste of money at least trundle paid for himself in the playoffs

have you forgotten Stern John already - now that is a real waste of money at least trundle paid for himself in the playoffs

i would of mentioned him if we signed him permanently so that's two

now name all the good signings ill start basso, fontaine

i would of mentioned him if we signed him permanently so that's two

now name all the good signings ill start basso, fontaine

Elliott - top class

Izzy - solid defender

McIndoe - not bad for this level

Sproule - not bad for this level

Maynard - Alot of potential

Williams - Could be good given opportunity

Trundle - Not that bad, big shame he didn't get chance this season after doing so well in playoffs

Henderson - Looks quality

Akinde - loads of potential

Carle - £500k profit

Dele - very solid

Styvar - Jury's out

It never cease to amaze me that when anyone dares to question our approach and perfromance in the transfer market that this old chestnut is rolled out.Because I have suggested it would be good to see some activity earlier than previous seasons and an improvement in the quality of new players it automatically is suggested that this would potentially make the club financially unstable.Whatutter rubbish .If GJ is not in a position to bring some quality players in and have a co-ordinated and well planned strategy in place to address the obvious and well talked of weakness in the team without destabilising our finances then he should not be a Manager.

The extra time compared to last year and the obvious need to move on as a team means you would expect some activity earlier than last year .However you slice it every week that passes with no signings means some good opportunities have passed us by.

If this story is true then how many strikers do Forest need? I rate McGoldrick and feel he would be a good signing for us. On the plus side perhaps this means Blackstock is not going there and could be available.

Maybe forest are going to be the new Wolves, buying up all the strikers!

If this story is true then how many strikers do Forest need? I rate McGoldrick and feel he would be a good signing for us. On the plus side perhaps this means Blackstock is not going there and could be available.

I think it was Forest Forever who said that it BD's intent to have 5 strikers to choose from this coming season - which probably means they could sign 3 to go with Tyson and that little buck-toothed twerp. No way does he not sign blackstock if he can afford it / the player wants to go there (which he does apparently), and still leaves room for Dele. He's building quite a potent front line up there.

It never cease to amaze me that when anyone dares to question our approach and perfromance in the transfer market that this old chestnut is rolled out.Because I have suggested it would be good to see some activity earlier than previous seasons and an improvement in the quality of new players it automatically is suggested that this would potentially make the club financially unstable.Whatutter rubbish .If GJ is not in a position to bring some quality players in and have a co-ordinated and well planned strategy in place to address the obvious and well talked of weakness in the team without destabilising our finances then he should not be a Manager.

The extra time compared to last year and the obvious need to move on as a team means you would expect some activity earlier than last year .However you slice it every week that passes with no signings means some good opportunities have passed us by.

christ the season finished two weeksago

I think it was Forest Forever who said that it BD's intent to have 5 strikers to choose from this coming season - which probably means they could sign 3 to go with Tyson and that little buck-toothed twerp. No way does he not sign blackstock if he can afford it / the player wants to go there (which he does apparently), and still leaves room for Dele. He's building quite a potent front line up there.

They've got Garner as well who was only behind Earnshaw in goals scored this year. As you say, potentially a very potent front line.

Guest ashtonyate
Elliott - top class Good Signing

Izzy - solid defender Not Good Enough

McIndoe - not bad for this level OK

Sproule - not bad for this level Not Good Enough

Maynard - Alot of potential Paid A lot of money for Him

Williams - Could be good given opportunity Could be good if Fit Or Not Injured The trouble with players like Williams you need another one waiting to play when he is injuried

Trundle - Not that bad, big shame he didn't get chance this season after doing so well in playoffs Never going to work

Henderson - Looks quality OK

Akinde - loads of potential Still learning but could be ok

Carle - £500k profit I bet we never made that much from him

Dele - very solid Good buy Experance at this level unlike a lot of Signings

Styvar - Jury's out I hope he makes it but in doubt of it happening

I understand your point but I think you hugely underestimate the amount of negotiations that go on behind the scenes before there is any mention of a transfer. This obviously all takes time. I would hope that as soon as it was obvious we wouldn't be in the playoffs the urgency was stepped up a gear. I would hope that we never actually stop looking.

I expect it would be extremely rare for a player to be contacted one day and be signing the next, in fact I hope it doesn't happen as these things should be fully researched and investigated by all parties as so much is at stake.

I can't imagine Gary or his staff are the type to sit on their hands as someone has suggested, quite the opposite. If he can find time to switch off and have a break, good on him, but I just don't think he ever fully does somehow.

I don't underestimate the length of negotiations at all. In fact I think this is exactly my point. Here's some more facts :

During the whole of May 2008, there were only 13 players transferred into Championship Clubs (and 4 of those were to Derby!)

So clearly, hardly anyone does any business at all during May. Yes, there will be negotiations taking place, but very little business is actually finalised during the month of May. That's why I find it a little bit mis-leading for us to have been palmed off with the excuse of being weeks behind everyone else last season in the transfer market.

I just feel that the club should be a little more up-front with their media announcements and let everyone know what's happening. There's a lot of cloak & dagger stuff that goes on behind the scenes of our club in relation to the transfer market. People may argue that they don't want the press getting sniff of who we're bidding for, as it may alert other clubs to the players availability. Does anyone really believe that if we're in negotiation with a players agent, that the agent wouldn't have already bandied his name around other clubs too? That would be pretty naive stuff.

I just think we ought to be a bit more honest, so that we all know exactly what we're dealing with. Maybe it would even relieve the unwarranted pressure some fans put on the management. I mean, if we were all told during the summer last year that we were putting loan bids in for the likes of Mancienne etc, maybe the fans would be a little more aware of our intentions and ambitions? Rather than some people thinking that Gary is 'sitting on his hands' which we all know is certainly not the truth.

This is not in any way a dig at Gary's signings (as other people in the thread are referring to), it's just an opinion that we should let the fans know a bit more about what we're doing and when.

Archived