IGNORED

Our Third Season In The Ccc

reddogkev

So, now we can firmly put the second season behind us, especially after the last true game of the season today, I was wondering what the fans expect for next season. What are your aims for the coming year, and where do you honestly expect City to finish? Will it be a tougher quest this season, especially with the addition of the giants Newcastle, and the return of WBA, who pretty much come with a nailed on top-2 finish in this league?

At the start of the second season it was tentatively labelled by some as a potential year of struggle, so I think we should be proud of finishing 10th and consolidating our status in the division. Yes, it would have been great to better the last season, but I think most of us realised that a repeat performance of the previous stunning year was unlikely.

So, back to the question, the third season, what do you expect? I would be very surprised if the following below teams are not the serious competitors:

WBA

Newcastle

Ipswich (Roy Keane will work his magic again)

Today's play off losers - both teams are considerably stronger than us

QPR - surely with the money available to them, something big has to happen this year?

Then you could say that Reading, Cardiff, Boro, and maybe even Leicester will all add to an interesting mix.

I do believe that the season is going to be very tough, but the football will be entertaining, the competition intense and the matches exciting. My expectation is that City will challenge for the top 6, although I would not be surprised if we see a repeat of this year and finish just above mid table.

What does everyone else think?

I am concerned that if we aim to continue as we have been adding the odd player, but not re-thinking our formation and tactics, that we are in for a season of struggle. Our form at the tail end of last season was woeful and without a major revamp we are going to be too one dimenional and predictable and easy to overcome.

We need new blood and competiton particularly on the flanks and how we replace Dele could dictate whether we play as much hoofball.

with the best will in the world, without signing 5-6 quality first-team ready players, I think we will struggle to finish in the top half.

Guest RobbieTurner
So, now we can firmly put the second season behind us, especially after the last true game of the season today, I was wondering what the fans expect for next season. What are your aims for the coming year, and where do you honestly expect City to finish? Will it be a tougher quest this season, especially with the addition of the giants Newcastle, and the return of WBA, who pretty much come with a nailed on top-2 finish in this league?

At the start of the second season it was tentatively labelled by some as a potential year of struggle, so I think we should be proud of finishing 10th and consolidating our status in the division. Yes, it would have been great to better the last season, but I think most of us realised that a repeat performance of the previous stunning year was unlikely.

So, back to the question, the third season, what do you expect? I would be very surprised if the following below teams are not the serious competitors:

WBA

Newcastle

QPR - surely with the money available to them, something big has to happen this year?

Then you could say that Reading, Cardiff, Boro, and maybe even Leicester will all add to an interesting mix.

I do believe that the season is going to be very tough, but the football will be entertaining, the competition intense and the matches exciting. My expectation is that City will challenge for the top 6, although I would not be surprised if we see a repeat of this year and finish just above mid table.

I think 'ask me hen we have signed a few players'.....simply because it wil depend on what the quality is lie that we bring in. Lets not kid ourselves, we are not going to get near to top 6 with the squad the way it is at present. IMO, we need a bit of experience and quality, that was sorely missed last season - How many times did you hear G saying 'we lacked quality' etc....loads is the answer.

Well, now is his chance to do something about it.

Newcastle will do well to finish top half, West Brom will win it.

We could and, with a few additions, should finish in the top 6. I'll be disappointed but not distraught if we don't.

sorry don't share your optimism, this is already looking like the strongest championship i can remember and then you have Sheffield or Burnley in it too, i would be delighted with top half finish. One thing about newcastle the fixture will be everyones cup final and they will find it tough at first but still fully expect with shearer in charge for them to bounce straight back.

Guest RobbieTurner
Newcastle will do well to finish top half, West Brom will win it.

We could and, with a few additions, should finish in the top 6. I'll be disappointed but not distraught if we don't.

How anyone can pedict who will finish where next season is beyond me, when no players have been signed yet - especially those teams coming down - no-one knows whowill be left from this seasons squad yet !!!

Of course you cant accurately predict where clubs will finish, it is, at this moment, based in assumption.

Newcastle though will lose an awful lot of their squad - Owen, Martins and Viduka from their strikers alone will surely leave. Whereas West Brom should keep the core of their squad.

I don't buy all this doom and gloom, we were poor at both the start and finish of last season but with some additions and, presuming we keep hold of Fontaine, the same back 5 available as the past 2 seasons we are more than capable of mounting a top 6 assault.

And how anyone can think the division will be tougher next season than this is beyond me. Only West Brom will definately be a force, all other teams entering the league may or may not be.

WBA

Newcastle

I think that if the usual starting 11 still contains McIndoe, LJ, Orr, McAllister and Sproule then we will struggle to avoid relegation - and I fear that it will !

Of course you cant accurately predict where clubs will finish, it is, at this moment, based in assumption.

Newcastle though will lose an awful lot of their squad - Owen, Martins and Viduka from their strikers alone will surely leave. Whereas West Brom should keep the core of their squad.

I don't buy all this doom and gloom, we were poor at both the start and finish of last season but with some additions and, presuming we keep hold of Fontaine, the same back 5 available as the past 2 seasons we are more than capable of mounting a top 6 assault.

And how anyone can think the division will be tougher next season than this is beyond me. Only West Brom will definately be a force, all other teams entering the league may or may not be.

it is clearly going to be stronger league.

I must be missing something here. This is going to be a really tough season. Yes, NU and Boro will be purged of their best players but I'm sure they'll be a force. WBA will be a nailed on top two I'd imagine.

looking through the list of clubs in this league I'm only confident of finishing above Blackpool and S****horpe. Granted i thought we'd be relegated last seson, the season before, the season before that and the season before that. In fact if we'd been relegated every season I thought we would we'd be playing Sunday morning park football against the Elephant and Wheelbarrow and only if we could get enough players together.

Oh i hope the boys do us proud. If they don't the signing on fee is £10 and its a fiver every match. Any takers? :innocent06:

All depends on which new players GJ brings in but I fear that we will not sign anyone that will make any real difference.

If that is the case, it will be a long hard season, let's not make any bones about it, our form in the last season and a half (apart from a 6 week spell in this mid-season) has been diabolical and we only just stumbled into the play offs the first season.

The squad we have at the moment cannot handle a Championship promotion campaign, it has been proved twice and needs 5 or 6 quality experienced players to get anywhere near challenging and consistently staying top 6.

Next season will be the hardest for GJ (& us) and the smaller Championship clubs as there are even more big boys in there now, my predictions would be:

Challenging for Top 2: West Bromwich Albion, Ipswich Town, Newcastle United

Challenging for Play Offs: (Sheffield United), Reading, Middlesbrough, Leicester City, Derby County

Top Mid Table: Nottingham For, Swansea City, (Burnley), Peterborough Utd, Preston NE, QPR

Lower Mid Table: Crystal Palace, Watford, BRISTOL CITY FC, Sheffield Wednesday, Coventry City, Doncaster Rovers

Fighting Relegation: Plymouth Argyle, Blackpool, S****horpe United, Barnsley

(if in Championship)

Some positions could change depending on players in and out but based as things are at the moment.

BCAGFC

I THINK we will end up around 12th next season because we won't make the crucial signings that need to be made to improve our team as a whole. We might bring in a single decent player or a couple of decent utility players but I am doubtful we will bring in real quality.

I HOPE that we get into the play offs again as I don't think that automatic promotion is a real ambition when looking at the teams we have to compete against next season for those two auto spots.

it is clearly going to be stronger league.

Well thats that then. :noexpression:

Newcastle will be lucky in their first season to finish top ten, they will lose nearly ALL thier good players and though they may replace them with decent/good players it will take a while to adapt and gel, they are a club in turmoil and in need of a massive mix up to get them back on track. I don't see them doing it in thier first season. Boro will follow in a similar fashion, but the impact wont be so big, as they wont lose as many players. Strange as it may seem, though west brom are the 'smallest' of all three of the relegated sides, and at present have the worse team on paper, in actual fact they are the most likely to go straight back up and I think they will romp the division next year. They will not loose players, maybe greening or brunt, but the majority of the side will stay. They are also where they should be, a yoyo side, they are used to it and are prepared/ready for it as it was likely in their plans to some degree, though of course they tired to stay up they knew they might not. Boro and Newcastle are reeling, they are not set up in anyway to deal with it, they will have no plans in place or understanding of how to deal with it, that is why I don't believe they will be going straight back up, despite what some misguided Geordies may believe. Their 'support' has never been rivalled by success on the pitch, it has not kept them from relegation and it will not, for the same reasons, promoted them next season. They are a club who have been massively mis-managed from the top-down for a number of years and that will not be fixed overnight. By virtue of a decent playing staff, boro and newcastle will have decent seasons, but I don't expect either to push for the top two come the seasons end and I actually don't think either will make the play offs. I expect it will take them at least a couple of seasons(maybe just the one if they adapt very well) to make the transition to a team that can compete over a whole season for promotion, its a different kettle of fish to what they are used to, I expect them to 'believe' they have a devine right to go straight back up, and this in itself IMO will hinder them, as did their 'belief' that they 'couldn't' be relegated.

I think people are being carried away by the status of clubs going into the CCC next season and by the status of some managers(keane at ipswich) and are basing the leagues 'toughness' on these factors. I don't believe the league is an tougher than last season and I don't think the doom and gloom some have predicted will happen. Teams go in and out of form during the season, and yes ours at them end was poor, very poor. But why pick that as the indicator of our likely performance next season? Overall our 'form' over the entire season meant we comfortably avoided a bottom half finish, does that not count for anything?

I believe with 2 or 3 players added in the right places, we can push quite hard for the top 6. Without we would do well to make a play off bid and I would see us finishing top 12ish. I don't see a struggle for us at all, even if the squad stayed as it were. We would have similar results to last season, beating the lower half teams and struggling against the better quality sides.

Well thats that then. :noexpression:

Newcastle will be lucky in their first season to finish top ten, they will lose nearly ALL thier good players and though they may replace them with decent/good players it will take a while to adapt and gel, they are a club in turmoil and in need of a massive mix up to get them back on track. I don't see them doing it in thier first season. Boro will follow in a similar fashion, but the impact wont be so big, as they wont lose as many players. Strange as it may seem, though west brom are the 'smallest' of all three of the relegated sides, and at present have the worse team on paper, in actual fact they are the most likely to go straight back up and I think they will romp the division next year. They will not loose players, maybe greening or brunt, but the majority of the side will stay. They are also where they should be, a yoyo side, they are used to it and are prepared/ready for it as it was likely in their plans to some degree, though of course they tired to stay up they knew they might not. Boro and Newcastle are reeling, they are not set up in anyway to deal with it, they will have no plans in place or understanding of how to deal with it, that is why I don't believe they will be going straight back up, despite what some misguided Geordies may believe. Their 'support' has never been rivalled by success on the pitch, it has not kept them from relegation and it will not, for the same reasons, promoted them next season. They are a club who have been massively mis-managed from the top-down for a number of years and that will not be fixed overnight. By virtue of a decent playing staff, boro and newcastle will have decent seasons, but I don't expect either to push for the top two come the seasons end and I actually don't think either will make the play offs. I expect it will take them at least a couple of seasons(maybe just the one if they adapt very well) to make the transition to a team that can compete over a whole season for promotion, its a different kettle of fish to what they are used to, I expect them to 'believe' they have a devine right to go straight back up, and this in itself IMO will hinder them, as did their 'belief' that they 'couldn't' be relegated.

I think people are being carried away by the status of clubs going into the CCC next season and by the status of some managers(keane at ipswich) and are basing the leagues 'toughness' on these factors. I don't believe the league is an tougher than last season and I don't think the doom and gloom some have predicted will happen. Teams go in and out of form during the season, and yes ours at them end was poor, very poor. But why pick that as the indicator of our likely performance next season? Overall our 'form' over the entire season meant we comfortably avoided a bottom half finish, does that not count for anything?

I believe with 2 or 3 players added in the right places, we can push quite hard for the top 6. Without we would do well to make a play off bid and I would see us finishing top 12ish. I don't see a struggle for us at all, even if the squad stayed as it were. We would have similar results to last season, beating the lower half teams and struggling against the better quality sides.

you are deluded if you think Newcastle will finish outside the top ten, they will cut the wage bill obviously and will have no problem with Shearer in charge of attracting players, lets be honest given a choice between City and Newcastle it's a no brainer.

you are deluded if you think Newcastle will finish outside the top ten, they will cut the wage bill obviously and will have no problem with Shearer in charge of attracting players, lets be honest given a choice between City and Newcastle it's a no brainer.

Really, you think that Alan Shearer will be a deciding factor in a players choice to go to Newcastle? He has gained one victory as manager of the club, and that was against an appalling Boro side who cannot defend in the slightest. As a manager he has achieved a solid NOTHING and has been in the buisness for what? Ten games?

He may prove to be decent manager, maybe a great one, but as yet there is no indication of that and its my belief that any player going to Newcastle will be going not becasue of AS but because its Newcastle Utd and they will likely pay them a fair amount of money. Of course they will attract players. they are a huge club, what CCC standard player wouldnt want to play at St James's Park week in week out? But that will not take them back up on its own, these players have to be well managed, organised and the club has to be run well. The squad this season should not be in the bottom three on paper, they have an abundance of quality, but that has counted for nothing. NU have an upheavel to attend to, and that IMO makes forging a promotion side quite difficult to do. A largely new squad will take time to work. People will have said the same things about promotion when Man City and leeds went down, but look what happened to them, BOTH went down again. I have no doubt NU will turn it around, like Man City have, but I don't think it will happen next season.

As other people have said, I think WBA will go up automatically, but I don't neccesarily see newcastle or boro going back up first time - too many clubs go down and expect to bounce straight back, but you have to be very well organised and run to pull it off. I see us finishing in around 12th to 15th. I reckon we realistically need 5 players to upgrade our first team, and seeing as that will cost quite a lot, I reckon maybe only 1 or 2 of those will arrive, and we will be left to battle through to midtable mediocrity!

We're more than capable of finishing mid table/top ten.

Teams that'll finish below us.

Coventry

Leicester

Plymouth

Barnsley

Scunny

Donny

Reading

Blackpool

Sheff Wed

Newcastle

Watford

QPR

Stay clear of injuries and we could push for top six again.

Coventry

Leicester

Plymouth

Barnsley

Scunny

Donny

Reading

Blackpool

Sheff Wed

Newcastle

Watford

QPR

Stay clear of injuries and we could push for top six again.

No chance in the world we will finish above Newcastle.

WBA

Newcastle

Top half would be a great achievement. If we can keep our backbone Basso, Carey and Elliott I believe we can make it.

Let's concentrate on signing Carey and forget about Adebola.

I think the top half again to be honest, for some reason i think we will get off to a flyer (don't ask me why i just have a gut feeling!) but we will run out of steam and finish about 8/9.

Going slightly off topic but as for other teams, i think it will be pretty much the same again for most of them, i cant see your Coventrys Sheff weds Ipswich's doing any better than the have done this year, Newcastle and West Brom for me to go up. I can see Boro not getting out of this league for a while IMO, wouldnt be suprised to see them do a Coventry or Leicester and stagnate at this level.

Many people on this forum and of other clubs think Peterbrough will do well (some even suggesting they might get in the play-offs!) i will probably end up eating some humble pie this time next year but i can see them going straight back down, a lot of talk has been made about Mcclean Mckail-Smith Boyd etc but i honestly think a lot of there players (and manager) are over rated, will be intresting to see were they end up but I'm tipping them to go straight back down.

As for dark-horses i think there will be a few suprise pacakges next year, Forest for me are the ones to watch out for. They seem to have a bit of cash to spend and with Mcgoldrick and others mentioned they look like they will be a decent outfit.

What are your aims for the coming year, and where do you honestly expect City to finish?

My aim is to watch as many City home games as possible as it beats shopping with the missus.

I honestly expect City to finish in a position that reflects the quality of newcomers relative to those leaving.

No chance in the world we will finish above Newcastle.

Depends.

Newcastle will have a mega clear out. I'm sure Barton, Martins, Collocini, Owen, Viduka, Duff plus a few others will depart, leaving Harper, S.Taylor, Butt, Nolan, Ameobi, R Taylor plus their Duncan Ferguson lookalike and whoever Shearer brings in. Don't think they'll set the Championship on fire, not in their first season anyway.

Coventry- AGREE

Leicester- POSSIBLY

Plymouth- AGREE

Barnsley- AGREE

Scunny- AGREE

Donny- AGREE

Reading- I DOUBT IT VERY MUCH

Blackpool- AGREE

Sheff Wed- AGREE

Newcastle- NOT A HOPE IN HELL OF US FINISHING ABOVE THEM

Watford- POSSIBLY

QPR- POSSIBLY

I am sticking with my 17th, 14th at best.

All this season I have been saying if prem was to be realised we needed to push on this season, many people on here said they would be content with mid-table and go for it next season,

Now maybe you will see as I predicted it will be much much tougher next season, I believe we will do well to compete in the top half, Most of the teams in this division have argubaly better players, bigger squads, more money and larger grounds and support.

We will all need to get right behind the lads because anything near a top ten finish next season will be a fantastic achievement, :fingerscrossed:

So much for being optimistic, we all knew that next season would be tough regardless of which teams came down due to our squad needing strengthening in key areas. I don't see what the fuss is about NUFC and BORO coming down, as we will only play them twice. Other than these two there are 21 other teams to compete against who will also be out to win, so lets get our priorities right and get behind the boys for another top half finish.

All depends on which new players GJ brings in but I fear that we will not sign anyone that will make any real difference.

If that is the case, it will be a long hard season, let's not make any bones about it, our form in the last season and a half (apart from a 6 week spell in this mid-season) has been diabolical and we only just stumbled into the play offs the first season.

The squad we have at the moment cannot handle a Championship promotion campaign, it has been proved twice and needs 5 or 6 quality experienced players to get anywhere near challenging and consistently staying top 6.

Next season will be the hardest for GJ (& us) and the smaller Championship clubs as there are even more big boys in there now, my predictions would be:

Challenging for Top 2: West Bromwich Albion, Ipswich Town, Newcastle United

Challenging for Play Offs: (Sheffield United), Reading, Middlesbrough, Leicester City, Derby County

Top Mid Table: Nottingham For, Swansea City, (Burnley), Peterborough Utd, Preston NE, QPR

Lower Mid Table: Crystal Palace, Watford, BRISTOL CITY FC, Sheffield Wednesday, Coventry City, Doncaster Rovers

Fighting Relegation: Plymouth Argyle, Blackpool, S****horpe United, Barnsley

(if in Championship)

Some positions could change depending on players in and out but based as things are at the moment.

BCAGFC

I know my memory isn't what it was, but during our first season did we not spend virtually the whole of the season in the top 6? I wouldn't call that "stumbling" into the play-off's - unless you meant it in another context?

I think 'ask me hen we have signed a few players'.....simply because it wil depend on what the quality is lie that we bring in. Lets not kid ourselves, we are not going to get near to top 6 with the squad the way it is at present. IMO, we need a bit of experience and quality, that was sorely missed last season - How many times did you hear G saying 'we lacked quality' etc....loads is the answer.

Well, now is his chance to do something about it.

Agree mate - more of the same I fear except maybe somewhere between 12th and 16th.

I don't see GJ making major changes, which are in my view sorely needed.

Depends.

Newcastle will have a mega clear out. leaving Harper, S.Taylor, Butt, Nolan, Ameobi, R Taylor plus their Duncan Ferguson lookalike and whoever Shearer brings in.

Well, I agree that they shouldn't expect to come straight up but you've named 6 players who would walk into our team.

They will be a much better option for any player we are both after.

Archived