IGNORED

Sam Sodje

chowie

Why didn't GJ sign him in 2003 then? If Gj does sign him then that will be like admitting that he was wrong back then.

Don't think he needs to admit he's wrong, that's in the past and Brentford signed him a year later (free), then sold him for 350k to Reading in 2006 with Southampton also interested. So you could say that was a bad decision but there may have been other factors of why at the time.

It clearly isnt the inspired attacking addition everyone is yearning for however, for reasons unknown to even myself, I think reasonably highly of him. Must have heard good things from someone somewhere.

Could be a decent pick up on a free with Johnson seeing Fontaine as the flexible answer to left back cover?

Of course 'the Sun' is far from gospel so quite possibly just paper talk.

so ........ does this mean no IZZY then ?? ...... we could become full of center halfs , even with McCoombe leaving

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/200...15875-21389230/

:tumbleweed:

Exactly what I was thinking. I thought GJ was looking to give Izzy a more permanent deal (dependant on new medical) + does that mean the writing is on the wall for McCombe?

:o

Exactly what I was thinking. I thought GJ was looking to give Izzy a more permanent deal (dependant on new medical) + does that mean the writing is on the wall for McCombe?

:o

If we are looking for a centre half, then why not go for youth and promise rather than someone who is not good enough for one of our rivals. Mark Roberts lead Stevenage to the FA Trophy this season. He's dynamic. dominant in the air in both boxes and definitely worth a punt at this level. He reminds me of a young John Terry.

If true (a big if given the source) it seems superficially surprising, though I have no problem with the quality of the player and his experience. Maybe Izzy has rejected an offer (possibly a 1 year one?) and McCombe is on the way out. I am also concerned that we seem to be losing Loius to injury and suspension more and more so an experienced quality centre back might be a good idea anyway. We were rather running out of centre backs at times last season, again with injuries and suspensions and with Fontaine covering left back too. Could even all make sense with Sodje, Carey, Fontaine, Wilson and Iriekpen in the circumstances. While centre back may not be Gary's first priority you don't necessarily get to sign the players you want in priority order. We shall see.

If true (a big if given the source) it seems superficially surprising, though I have no problem with the quality of the player and his experience.

33 league games in the three years since he left Brentford (and only 80 games in the Football League before then). Coppell only picked him twice!!!!

I think i heard the Brentford scout at the time chatting about this guy a while ago. When they signed him it was basically as an athlete who they then had to turn into a footballer. They literally had to get him in 9-5 passing the ball andc teaching him technique. Understandable GJ didn't want to take the risk or be bothered. But this guy is h ebest of the bunch of Sodjes. not that that says much.

i remember brentford winning 1 nil at the gate a few years ago and him being an absolute rock for them at the back. i think he also scored the goal. would be happy with him on a free for sure. don't read too much into coppell not picking him i think he lost the plot at the end at reading.

Just asked a Leeds mate of mine and he said the following:

Been here the last couple of months. Absolutely solid. Definitely Championship quality but VERY injury-prone. He only trained like twice with us when he was here because it took him 5 days or so to get over 90 minutes football.

Quality centre back though. Class in the air, class with his feet, and just as good at tackling. Strong aswell. Got it all really.

Can't praise him enough.

Seems like a good enough reference to me.

We're crying out for pace at the back, only Fonts has it - would be a sensible signing to me. Either Boom Boom is off, or Izzy hasn't agreed terms I would think.

Now to the other areas please GJ - good start though!

Carey was injured a great deal last season and is getting on a bit, so i don't think singing Sodje (if true) would mean the end for either Izzy or McCombe. Carey cant be viewed as a 40 game a season player anymore.

We could be getting sodje in now because he is free, try to sort out his injury problems which could take while whislt still having cover for the positions if one or two are out at the same time.

Always rated him we have a young defence at the moment so adding a 29 year old defender would be a plus for me he is not slow and not scared to bomb forward either.

As for lack of recent games that sometimes happens with players when they move to new clubs they don't settle and as a result never get a good run of games.

If on a free could be a bargain also think he is better than Irkepen.

Wouldn't mind that signing at all. What we need is somebody to put their head in where it hurts...either in our box defending set plays or in the opposition box looking to score. I don't think we carry enough threat at set plays and somebody like Sodje may give us that fearless edge that I think our team lacks!

James Wilson must have nightmares when he reads posts about Rob Jones and Sodje. Especially posts about Sodje making an impression at Brentford....... Wilson made a huge impression at Brentford and GJ gave him a 4 year contract.

Then the post about our young defence..... surely a joke ?

Next season our backline will have, Carey 32, McAllister 31, Orr 27, McCombe 26, Fontaine 23.

Our back ups at the moment are Izzy 27, Brian Wilson 26, Ribiero 20, James Wilson 20. these youngest two are yet to have a full game. When exactly will James Wilson get his chance ?

Question ?Are Izzy, Sodje or Rob Jones the way forward, are they better than what we have, will they help us into the Premier League. Not imo, they are just journeymen, nothing more, nothing less. Right now, I would prefer James Wilson in his City shirt.....he deserves it.

know a few Leeds fans on forums and they love him, rave on about how good he has been for them, asked one of them and he said:

He was a revelation. Him and Naylor at the back were rocks.

The thing is, don't expect him to be play the whole season. 6 months ago he was told he wouldn't be playing the game ever again. He didn't train with our team, but everything that was thrown at him, went the other way with twice as much force. He didn't need to put any effort in, and he walked all over most players he came up against.

Honestly, a wonderful loan signing, and just what we needed. If he didn't have fitness issues, he'd be a real gem of a signing.

This doesn't really excite me, we should be aiming to bring in players that are better than we already have, and i'm not sure he is.

Perhaps he wasn't given a chance, but Sam Sodje couldn't get on the Bench at Reading.

I think we should be looking at Hudson or Barker.

James Wilson must have nightmares when he reads posts about Rob Jones and Sodje. Especially posts about Sodje making an impression at Brentford....... Wilson made a huge impression at Brentford and GJ gave him a 4 year contract.

Then the post about our young defence..... surely a joke ?

Next season our backline will have, Carey 32, McAllister 31, Orr 27, McCombe 26, Fontaine 23.

Our back ups at the moment are Izzy 27, Brian Wilson 26, Ribiero 20, James Wilson 20. these youngest two are yet to have a full game. When exactly will James Wilson get his chance ?

Question ?Are Izzy, Sodje or Rob Jones the way forward, are they better than what we have, will they help us into the Premier League. Not imo, they are just journeymen, nothing more, nothing less. Right now, I would prefer James Wilson in his City shirt.....he deserves it.

I agree, might be on a free but still on the wage bill, and potentially blocking the path of a good prospect. If his injury record is as bad as has been described, you would have thought that Brooker/Weale and Webster would have taught GJ by now that a crock is not a good investment.

My mate told me that we were signing Sam Sodje.

I asked him if he didn't mean Efe Sodje.

He said 'He's not Efe, he's his brother.'

..... coat on, headed out the door

Efekotobre Sodje is a legend though. With all his during match bling and headband. I think we should sign him just for comedy value and get everyone else wearing bandanas but not with against all odds on. with always believe on it ;)

This doesn't really excite me, we should be aiming to bring in players that are better than we already have, and i'm not sure he is.

Perhaps he wasn't given a chance, but Sam Sodje couldn't get on the Bench at Reading.

I think we should be looking at Hudson or Barker.

Have to disagree.

I'd say he's better than McCombe and Izzy. Plus he adds something to our options at the back and can play at right back too if needed. Very good going forward also.

He's quick, intelligent and great in the air.

Archived