IGNORED

City In Talks With Tesco To Sell Ag

jimtastic

with all proceeds going towards the new Stadium., it goes a long way to making sure we've no massive debt burden from the new stadium

now when the developers turn the old Wedlock Pub into luxury flats, I wonder how many upwardly mobile folks will be interested in buying one 50 metres from a Tesco Superstore

:tumbleweed:

now when the developers turn the old Wedlock Pub into luxury flats, I wonder how many upwardly mobile folks will be interested in buying one 50 metres from a Tesco Superstore

Funnily enough, the Wedlocks is dispearing as we speak. I would give it another ten days and there will be nothing except a flattened pile of rubble.

Interesting to read the opinions about the proposed new stadium from each faction of the council. Seems that each party are keen for it to happen.

Of course they are.. the potential of the WC coming to Bristol has them drooling. Simple as that.

with all proceeds going towards the new Stadium., it goes a long way to making sure we've no massive debt burden from the new stadium

:tumbleweed:

Or a football stadium! Love AG as I do, I personally wouldn't want to live right next door to it.

Funnily enough, the Wedlocks is dispearing as we speak. I would give it another ten days and there will be nothing except a flattened pile of rubble.

Have I missed something? Have we got Millwall in a friendly?

How will tesco get planning permission with a sainsburys right down the road.

People complain about having a football stadium next door to them but i would rather have that then a supermarket.

Agree!

Thier is no tesco near it, but thier is an Asda and a Sainsbury's. A tesco will mean more competition and will result in the others having to make sure they are at the sharp end of pricing.

Therefore, planning wont be a problem.

Or a football stadium! Love AG as I do, I personally wouldn't want to live right next door to it.

I have friend who lives in Raynes road [behind East End] and he paid more for his property compared to a comparitive house due to its close proximty to the ground. If I could afforded it I would have bought a house opposite the ground as well but Tesco's? No ###### chance.

Thier is no tesco near it, but thier is an Asda and a Sainsbury's. A tesco will mean more competition and will result in the others having to make sure they are at the sharp end of pricing.

What except the tesco less than 3 miles away.

Cant beleive how bad this country is. There is no need what so ever for a tesco to be built there.

Ironic really, I remember fondly going to twerton in the late 80's, waving my tesco bag and mocking the homless sagheads, now it is possible that AG will be a tesco store aswell.

At least we would be getting a bag load of cash and moving cos we want to not cos we cant pay the rent like the sags.

What except the tesco less than 3 miles away.

Cant beleive how bad this country is. There is no need what so ever for a tesco to be built there.

Around the area of Glastonbury, Street, Wells and Shepton Mallet there will soon potentially be 4 Tesco stores (incl 1 superstore), all within 10 miles of each other. The new store in Glastonbury would be 1 mile from the Street store and about 1/4 of a mile from a big Morrisons.

Tescos are the masters at getting planning permisson.....

I'm already sandwiched between two Tesco metros, an Asda and a Sainsburys living in Bedminster. I can walk to all of them in less than 10 mins.

I DON"T NEED ANOTHER SUPERMARKET THANKYOU!!!

Around the area of Glastonbury, Street, Wells and Shepton Mallet there will soon potentially be 4 Tesco stores (incl 1 superstore), all within 10 miles of each other. The new store in Glastonbury would be 1 mile from the Street store and about 1/4 of a mile from a big Morrisons.

Tescos are the masters at getting planning permisson.....

Backhanders to someone somewhere.

Given the current economic climate and the downturn in new residential build, this is probably as good a deal as the club could hope for at the moment.

As long as it's not tied in with a naming rights issue for the new stadium (ever since the Gas had a kit that resembled a Tesco bag, I can't get that association out of my head), then I have no problem with it.

We won't be there, so providing we maximise the income from the sale of the land, then that's all that really matters to me as a non-resident.

Sincerely hope their are no 'naming rights' tie ins here, although I believe the club have already confirmed that, through necessity, we shall be setting up home in a 'branded' stadium.

If needs must there can be no complaints, the chance to reach a global audience with World Cup football the focal point of the project is a decent selling point.

'Hello and welcome to this much anticipated World Cup quarter final between Spain and Argentina, brought to you live from the Tesco Arena, Bristol.'

*shudder*

Ironic really, I remember fondly going to twerton in the late 80's, waving my tesco bag and mocking the homless sagheads, now it is possible that AG will be a tesco store aswell.

At least we would be getting a bag load of cash and moving cos we want to not cos we cant pay the rent like the sags.

god i'm thick - i waved a tesco bag at twerton too (along with a massive 'God Bless Kettering' banner) but I thought I was waving it because of that stupid kit they had when sponsored by Snack Box or summert, which did vaguely look like a tesco bag.... I'll get me coat..

Backhanders to someone somewhere.

Tesco are notorious for pressuring local government into planning permission.

That's not libellous, there is well documented & accurate evidence if you look for it.

god i'm thick - i waved a tesco bag at twerton too (along with a massive 'God Bless Kettering banner') but I thought I was waving it because of that stupid kit they had when sponsored by Snack Box or summert, which did vaguely look like a tesco bag.... I'll get me coat..

The funny thing was that their kit just added to how stupid the club looked, kicked out by tesco and looking like a tesco bag

So.....how much money are we likely to acheive from this sale....?

If Tesco are looking to use the site soley for the purposes of one of their superstores, which we can say are circa 50,000sqft (with car parking provisions, delivery access/facilities) and based on a rent and yield basis (just go with me on this) and the fact that Tesco pay a rental value in the region of £20 per square foot, you could argue a bit more depending on how much they really want the site (based on customer sales), so even if we said £25 per square (unlikey but possible), that would result in a estimated rental value of £1,250,000 per annum.

The property market is not as buyoant as it was 2/3 years ago, but that said, the retail convenience store sector is still pretty up beat, and investment deals in this sector have taken place recently at 5%-6% yields. Taking the Tesco rental above, and applying a middle figure of say, 5.5% yield, this would result in an investment value of £22,727,272, say £22,750,000.

However, you still have to factor in other very relevant and quite substantial fees involved for Tesco, that would include, planning fees, architects, ground investigation, demolition, infrastructure (roads/services etc), the actual building cost, section 106 agreements etc etc etc,...so the actual amount we will receive may be between a third to half (and a half is very rare indeed) of the end investment value....my guess is that negotiations are somewhere around the £10m mark.

Obviously I am not party to this particular discussion, so have no idea what other issues may be discussed as part of the deal structure....eg:stadium name, sponsorship etc etc, all of which could have a bearing on the purchase price....but based on the site being used solely for a Tesco Superstore I don't think £10m is far off the mark.

That said, given the high rise apartments,....OK flats near AG, I would be amazed if any scheme did not capitalise on the precedent already set in the area for high rise buildings and thus the opportunity of building upwards, thus increasing the Gross Development Value and ultimately increasing our sale price. You would have to hope that BCFC and their advisors have/will have fully explored all of these avenues to maximise and get the very best value from the asset, AG. The residential market may not be great at present, but it will come back, and it is not as if any development will be coming out of the ground next week. There will be many years between now and commencement of any development, by which time the property market as a whole may have picked up somewhat.

Of course, as somebody mentioned, its a given that Sainsbury's will be very unhappy with this news and they will do everything they can to stop Tesco achieving a successful planning consent, probably based on an element of retail superstore saturation in the area, and if BCFC agree an conditional sale to Tesco, this could drag on for a very long time.

However, my thinking is that the only reason BCFC have made an annoucement is because Tesco are willing to buy the site unconditionally (which is good news for the club as its a no risk deal) and take on the risk of getting planning whilst in full ownership, otherwise it would seem like a very odd move to annouce a party with whom you are holding very sensitive discussions.

Hope this helps anybody who may be even remotely interested.

at the end of the day ashton gate has been a wonderful servant to the club, but its time to move on, lansdown will only take the best deal for the club, and if it means tesco buying the land to produce are new world class fantastic stadium then i have no problem with it.

Archived